The Official Irish Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
Munster-fogs

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Munster-fogs »

Lazy Couch potato wrote: Potential coronavirus cancellation will affect Munster a bit. We’ve two Italian games that’ll become draws while Edinburgh have only one. Up to now I’d have said the conference decider would be the Edinburgh Munster game in Scotland with only 3 points between us. Now Munster probably need someone to do us a favour. Ironically the one game Edinburgh put out their full team and jvg sent out the kids en mass in cork could be the decider.
That is incredibly frustrating. Very unlucky with how it worked out.
Gauss

Post by Gauss »

Banana Man wrote:Fair play to Castleknock. Flav had them seriously ready. The Clongowes 7,8,9 very good.

Good game.
Bloody gutted at that. Thought they could well have nicked it. Clongowes a bit more power. Agreed on 7,8,9.
Adetroy

Post by Adetroy »

Joey out for the rest of the season. Right decision, but clearly next season is make or break.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Yeah, his career has gone completely off the rails since leaving Leinster.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Floppykid wrote:Yeah, his career has gone completely off the rails since leaving Leinster.
He hasn’t had an injury free run since he left. He could have picked up all the same injuries playing for us. It might just be that he’s either unlucky or fragile. Or both.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

DOB wrote:
Floppykid wrote:Yeah, his career has gone completely off the rails since leaving Leinster.
He hasn’t had an injury free run since he left. He could have picked up all the same injuries playing for us. It might just be that he’s either unlucky or fragile. Or both.
Could be, there's only really one consistent,verifiable factor there in his awful run of injuries though.
Mr. Very Popular

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

Floppykid wrote:
DOB wrote:
Could be, there's only really one consistent,verifiable factor there in his awful run of injuries though.
He’s a soft Leinster head and can’t deal with the rough stuff?
Ulsters Red Hand

Post by Ulsters Red Hand »

Thank goodness the 6N is going ahead - let's hope it stays that way
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
DOB wrote:
POM's doing adverts for Dove sensitive skin cream.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:Thank goodness the 6N is going ahead - let's hope it stays that way
Just don't bring anything back with you.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:Thank goodness the 6N is going ahead - let's hope it stays that way
I'm half rooting for France to do the slam. (Course I'm going to Ireland when they face, but I'd be reasonably pleased to see France do it)
CM11

Post by CM11 »

DOB wrote:
He was hardly consistently fit with us.

Body doesn't seem up to it sadly.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Floppykid wrote:
I'm half rooting for France to do the slam. (Course I'm going to Ireland when they face, but I'd be reasonably pleased to see France do it)
If all the matches go ahead apart from our game against Italy, we could potentially have a mathematical chance of winning the 6N depending on the Italy result which would be a bit of a disaster for everyone else. Alternatively England not being able to play Italy, we beat France but out of contention, England still in it pending Italy result.

That said, we're unlikely to beat France.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Unlikely is about as strong as I'd go given it's France.

But their tight five looks very strong. And their backrow is in great form.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
DOB wrote:
Interesting looking at Irish outhalves capped since 2010.

At that time ROG (M), first capped in 2000, was still no 1, with the two Leinster products Sexton and Keatley getting capped in 2009. Since then :

2013 Jackson (U)
2013 Madigan (L)
2014 Reid (L)
2016 Carbery (L)
2018 R. Byrne (L)
2019 Carty (C)

with two Leinster players H. Byrne and Frawley probably the next in line to be capped.

The biggest name missing is probably JJ Hanrahan. WTF do Munster do to outhalfs ?

Apols if I've missed anyone.

And if I really had my blue glasses on I'd mention McKinley (Italy), and MacGinty (USA). :P
Ulsters Red Hand

CM11 wrote:
Just don't bring anything back with you.
If it grows at it's current rate it wouldn't be too bad, but half expecting it to be cancelled.
Mr. Very Popular

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

camroc1 wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
DOB wrote:

At that time ROG (M), first capped in 2000, was still no 1, with the two Leinster products Sexton and Keatley getting capped in 2009. Since then :

2013 Jackson (U)
2013 Madigan (L)
2014 Reid (L)
2016 Carbery (L)
2018 R. Byrne (L)
2019 Carty (C)

with two Leinster players H. Byrne and Frawley probably the next in line to be capped.

The biggest name missing is probably JJ Hanrahan. WTF do Munster do to outhalfs ?

And if I really had my blue glasses on I'd mention McKinley (Italy), and MacGinty (USA). :P
What has that got to do with Joey Cadbury constantly on the treatment table?
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Mr. Very Popular wrote: What has that got to do with Joey Cadbury constantly on the treatment table?
Leinster good, Munster bad. Clearly.
JoeyFantastic

Post by JoeyFantastic »

camroc1 wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
DOB wrote:

2013 Jackson (U)
2013 Madigan (L)
2014 Reid (L)
2016 Carbery (L)
2018 R. Byrne (L)
2019 Carty (C)

JJ tbf, merits a call up this year, 92% kicker, putting Munster in the right part of the pitch. He must has seriously f**ked things up somewhere to never make an extended squad.
Lazy Couch potato

Post by Lazy Couch potato »

How in the name of jaysus jaysus does Noel Reid have international caps
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Lazy Couch potato wrote:How in the name of jaysus jaysus does Noel Reid have international caps
It was one cap. Pretty sure it wasn't at centre. Weakened squad, deserved cap tbf.

Edit, went to say wasn't at FH, was at centre but rushed the post!
Last edited by CM11 on Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

Lazy Couch potato wrote:How in the name of jaysus jaysus does Noel Reid have international caps
He's the definition of a reasonably good player.

Won't let you down, decent passer and reasonable kicking option. Ideal against weak teams like Canada, etc. I presume he was capped against somebody like that?
Lazy Couch potato

I’ll always wonder would a stint in a schmidt squad have sorted JJ earlier. He’s such a wonderfully gifted player. It’s great to see him finally put some consistency on his game. He doesn’t seem to take half as many rushed decisions anymore. I suppose a stint as guaranteed starter at 10 for a year brings on anyone’s confidence.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Nolanator wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote: What has that got to do with Joey Cadbury constantly on the treatment table?
Leinster good, Munster bad. Clearly.
Munster haven't developed an international out half since Jeremy Staunton got capped in 2002.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Lazy Couch potato wrote:I’ll always wonder would a stint in a schmidt squad have sorted JJ earlier. He’s such a wonderfully gifted player. It’s great to see him finally put some consistency on his game. He doesn’t seem to take half as many rushed decisions anymore. I suppose a stint as guaranteed starter at 10 for a year brings on anyone’s confidence.
It's just a pity that it's taken 8 years since his standout U20 season to get a run !
Lazy Couch potato

camroc1 wrote:
Lazy Couch potato wrote:I’ll always wonder would a stint in a schmidt squad have sorted JJ earlier. He’s such a wonderfully gifted player. It’s great to see him finally put some consistency on his game. He doesn’t seem to take half as many rushed decisions anymore. I suppose a stint as guaranteed starter at 10 for a year brings on anyone’s confidence.
It's just a pity that it's taken 8 years since his standout U20 season to get a run !
There’s a lot of blame all round there. Taking the queens schilling was a woeful decision and he could easily have nailed a spot then. Injuries at the wrong time with Munster hopping from Keatley to a occasionally fit bleyendaal to JJ and back again in a circular route over 3 managers. Hell if Cadbury wasn’t made of broken he’d be subbing too.
JoeyFantastic

Post by JoeyFantastic »

Lazy Couch potato wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
There’s a lot of blame all round there. Taking the queens schilling was a woeful decision and he could easily have nailed a spot then. Injuries at the wrong time with Munster hopping from Keatley to a occasionally fit bleyendaal to JJ and back again in a circular route over 3 managers. Hell if Cadbury wasn’t made of broken he’d be subbing too.
Since it's so long ago suppose it's a well known rumour that JJ had to take the money on offer for family reasons back in Kerry.

Not being able to get ahead of Keatley remains inexplicable to me.
Lazy Couch potato

Hadn’t heard that.
JoeyFantastic

Post by JoeyFantastic »

Lazy Couch potato wrote:Hadn’t heard that.
Yeah, never know the truth in it but the person who told me would have had reason to know.
Lazy Couch potato

Fair enough. It’s a brutal way to earn a living. They’re welcome to every penny they earn. Could never understand it myself.

Still leaving Munster at exactly the time he did wasn’t ideal for his Irish career progression.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Wouldn't have any issues with JJ getting called up.
He's one of the most gifted underage players I've seen and even during the fractured career he's had till this season he's showed glimpses of what made him special.

Now he's showing he's a very composed FH with game time.
What bothered me what JVG bothering with Bleydinhell for so long ahead of him.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Floppykid wrote:Wouldn't have any issues with JJ getting called up.
He's one of the most gifted underage players I've seen and even during the fractured career he's had till this season he's showed glimpses of what made him special.

Now he's showing he's a very composed FH with game time.
What bothered me what JVG bothering with Bleydinhell for so long ahead of him.
And Keatley before that - both players who were military medium, without top class potential.
Ulsters Red Hand

Let’s not forget King Billy Burns
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:Let’s not forget King Billy Burns
Ulster OHs capped by Ireland in the last 25 years - Humphreys and Jackson. Both top class tbf, but rather a light contribution.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Yup, it was very frustrating.
Stability favoured over talent.
I remember empathizing with his decision to move to NH, without knowing there was something going on in the background anyway.

Hope JVG persists with him, despite his missed kicks, he was very good for Munster in the HEC this year.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Remember Ian Humphries?
Remember Shaun Berne?

Those were the days.
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

camroc1 wrote:
Ulster OHs capped by Ireland in the last 25 years - Humphreys and Jackson. Both top class tbf, but rather a light contribution.
Paddy Wallace got MOTM for Ireland playing 10.

Niall O'Connor and iHumph both played for Ireland A.

To put what you've just said in perspective only 12 players have actually started at 10 for Ireland in the past 20 years. 3 are from Ulster.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

earl the beaver wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Paddy Wallace got MOTM for Ireland playing 10.

Niall O'Connor and iHumph both played for Ireland A.

To put what you've just said in perspective only 12 players have actually started at 10 for Ireland in the past 20 years. 3 are from Ulster.
:blush: I'd forgotten about UCD educated Paddy Wallace.

I think you'd be better deleting any Ireland A references.
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

Munster-fogs wrote:
Lazy Couch potato wrote: Potential coronavirus cancellation will affect Munster a bit. We’ve two Italian games that’ll become draws while Edinburgh have only one. Up to now I’d have said the conference decider would be the Edinburgh Munster game in Scotland with only 3 points between us. Now Munster probably need someone to do us a favour. Ironically the one game Edinburgh put out their full team and jvg sent out the kids en mass in cork could be the decider.
That is incredibly frustrating. Very unlucky with how it worked out.
Puts Ulster in a spot of bother too They lose a potential 6 points meaning their game in hand is effectively void. Glasgow have no games vs the Italians again, Cheetahs have 2. I think 11pts is probably enough to cover them to 2nd place though.
irishrugbyua

Post by irishrugbyua »

Impressed by Clongowes 7 and 9. While 9 and 13 stood out for Castleknock.

Clongowes will need to play much better in final to win it if against michaels.