The Official Irish Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
Jim Lahey

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Jim Lahey »

Willie Falloon wrote:
camroc1 wrote:Madigan actually moved from Wasps to Ulster. I thought comparing Belfast with London was cute in a provincial sort of way. :P
Bristol

And Wasps are based in Coventry, which isn't London. :nod:
:lol: :lol:

Cute point there Cammy.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Jim Lahey wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote:
camroc1 wrote:Madigan actually moved from Wasps to Ulster. I thought comparing Belfast with London was cute in a provincial sort of way. :P
Bristol

Cute point there Cammy.
Bristol/Belfast hmmmmmm. Don't envy that choice at all.

Is it true that Ulster and Connacht each played twice as many Blackrock boys as Leinster this weekend, and Munster the same number ?

That's really cute.
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

camroc1 wrote:
Jim Lahey wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote:
Bristol

Cute point there Cammy.

Is it true that Ulster and Connacht each played twice as many Blackrock boys as Leinster this weekend, and Munster the same number ?

That's really cute.
:lol:

I wouldn’t describe researching and obsessing over what schools certain lads go to as cute tbf.
Strange or disturbing maybe.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Jim Lahey wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Jim Lahey wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote:
Bristol

Cute point there Cammy.

That's really cute.
:lol:

I wouldn’t describe researching and obsessing over what schools certain lads go to as cute tbf.
Strange or disturbing maybe.
I wouldn't classify reading official team sheets as research.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Winnie wrote:[
Look at duff showing the craic that the south is famous for
It’s almost like they love to dish it out but can’t take it :lol: :lol:
You'll have to forgive us being Leinater fans we've gotten very used to dishing out beatings and not taking them
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

camroc1 wrote: Bristol/Belfast hmmmmmm. Don't envy that choice at all.
Belfast is a great litle city to live in. UWb had lived there and Bristol and send m seems to like both. Sounds grand, TBH.
Porterbelly1

Post by Porterbelly1 »

Diabhal wrote:Heffernan, bar a few excellent Butler carries, was Connacht's best forward imo.

But the Butler at 7 renaissance is great stuff. Fainga'a was excellent there but Butler was greatly diminished at 8. Could bring Boyler on a lot too.
Butler was very physical today, if he can maintain that then he’ll fill 7. Fainga’a was top class but if Boyle kicks on and if word from training re Papali’i is true then we’ll have a very decent back row. SoB 2.0 needed back too
Ulsters Red Hand

Post by Ulsters Red Hand »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Bogbunny wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Jim Lahey wrote:
Winnie wrote:Ulster comfortably the least fit and conditioned team of all 4 provinces
Good on the lads I say.
At least they didn't resort to taking vitamins like the other provinces during lockdown.
Another glorious moral victory :thumbup:
Moore’s been eating out to help out a bit too much
These Mexicans moving to a first world nation :roll:
You nordies still trying to make the Mexicans thing happen is hilarious. I find it cute. Would North v South Korea not be more accurate though? Like nobody from down here wants to go up there.
By nobody do you mean basically every Leinster player who has left Leinster for Ulster and ended up staying long term? If so then yeah, you may have a point
Diabhal

Post by Diabhal »

Porterbelly1 wrote:
Diabhal wrote:Heffernan, bar a few excellent Butler carries, was Connacht's best forward imo.

But the Butler at 7 renaissance is great stuff. Fainga'a was excellent there but Butler was greatly diminished at 8. Could bring Boyler on a lot too.
Butler was very physical today, if he can maintain that then he’ll fill 7. Fainga’a was top class but if Boyle kicks on and if word from training re Papali’i is true then we’ll have a very decent back row. SoB 2.0 needed back too
The last time I heard the new signing "was going unreal in training" was Porch so hopefully Papali'i can deliver better than that jokester Copeland did.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
Bogbunny wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Jim Lahey wrote:
Good on the lads I say.
At least they didn't resort to taking vitamins like the other provinces during lockdown.
Another glorious moral victory :thumbup:
Moore’s been eating out to help out a bit too much
These Mexicans moving to a first world nation :roll:
You nordies still trying to make the Mexicans thing happen is hilarious. I find it cute. Would North v South Korea not be more accurate though? Like nobody from down here wants to go up there.
By nobody do you mean basically every Leinster player who has left Leinster for Ulster and ended up staying long term? If so then yeah, you may have a point
How does the song go ?

"Let's start at the very beginning, what a very good place to start......"

That was Eric Miller - how long did he last ?
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

Longer than Paddy Wallace at Leinster.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

We have high standards alright
Adetroy

Post by Adetroy »

It’s been six long months, but the board is back to normal. All is well with the world. The usual suspects back to doing the usual stuff. It is like a timewarp back to 2010.
Porterbelly1

Post by Porterbelly1 »

Diabhal wrote:
Porterbelly1 wrote:

The last time I heard the new signing "was going unreal in training" was Porch so hopefully Papali'i can deliver better than that jokester Copeland did.
Well he can't be any worse than Copeland and at a fraction of the cost too
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Willie Falloon wrote:Longer than Paddy Wallace at Leinster.
The Paddy Wallace whom Leinster graciously allowed train with them whilst he was at UCD ?

He never had a senior Leinster contract, did he ?
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

Ulster's defensive cohesion was terrible, so many disconnected players leaving dog legs or rushing up into no-man's land. Desperately need Marshall back at 13.

Thought Stockdale went well at 15 but that's about it.
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

earl the beaver wrote:Ulster's defensive cohesion was terrible, so many disconnected players leaving dog legs or rushing up into no-man's land. Desperately need Marshall back at 13.

On the whole he was grand.
There was one thing that bothered me though. Connacht had kicked into our 22 in between the 5 and touch line. Stockdale picked it up and tried to beat his man on the outside (about 2 yards of space) and inevitably got bundled into touch. There was support arriving and although he might’ve ended up in touch anyway, it was a poor choice from him.
He needs to work on the basics of his game to effectively showcase his talents.
earl the beaver

Jim Lahey wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:Ulster's defensive cohesion was terrible, so many disconnected players leaving dog legs or rushing up into no-man's land. Desperately need Marshall back at 13.

On the whole he was grand.
There was one thing that bothered me though. Connacht had kicked into our 22 in between the 5 and touch line. Stockdale picked it up and tried to beat his man on the outside (about 2 yards of space) and inevitably got bundled into touch. There was support arriving and although he might’ve ended up in touch anyway, it was a poor choice from him.
He needs to work on the basics of his game to effectively showcase his talents.
He had no chance, he got the ball a fraction before the defenders and was running towards the touchline already so didn't have a chance to change to running infield, he tried his best to stay on his feet and stay in but the third Connacht defender came in and forced him out, it was on the right hand side so never had any chance of getting a decent kick in either.
DOB

Post by DOB »

camroc1 wrote:
The Paddy Wallace whom Leinster graciously allowed train with them whilst he was at UCD ?

I thought Leinster wanted him to play 10 (it was the immediate aftermath of Eddie Hekenui) and the IRFU wouldn’t sanction it. He had to stay with Ulster and spent the next several years floating between positions as Humph’s understudy before finally settling in at 12.

A partial result of it was supposedly, having been prevented from signing a couple of Irish 10s that they tried for, (Staunton may have been another) Leinster were allowed sign Contepomi.
earl the beaver

DOB wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

I thought Leinster wanted him to play 10 (it was the immediate aftermath of Eddie Hekenui) and the IRFU wouldn’t sanction it. He had to stay with Ulster and spent the next several years floating between positions as Humph’s understudy before finally settling in at 12.

A partial result of it was supposedly, having been prevented from signing a couple of Irish 10s that they tried for, (Staunton may have been another) Leinster were allowed sign Contepomi.
Leinster had Paddy on loan pre-CL days as cover for HEC knockouts, but he got injured I think and never played.

They then tried to sign him after his leg break but it wasn't sanctioned plus he wasn't granted early release from his Ulster contract to go to Castres as a 10 a couple of years later.
irishrugbyua

Post by irishrugbyua »

Decent run out against Munster, need to be better for semi-final but trust they should be. With DK out, does Larmour move back to wing?
hermie

Post by hermie »

irishrugbyua wrote:Decent run out against Munster, need to be better for semi-final but trust they should be. With DK out, does Larmour move back to wing?
I think he does even if DK wasn't out. Especially against a team with such a strong kicking/fielding game as Sarries.

Edit: sorry I see semi rather than quarter final now. Point still stands.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Kelliher to get a run out at FB against Ulster ?
hermie

Post by hermie »

camroc1 wrote:Kelliher to get a run out at FB against Ulster ?
Would have thought Keenan would be ahead of Kelleher at 15 at this point in time. Although with knock out games ahead might be worth seeing if Rob has enough in the tank.

Personally think Rob and Dev need to come back into the starting team to iron out some of the issues from Saturday.
irishrugbyua

Post by irishrugbyua »

camroc1 wrote:Kelliher to get a run out at FB against Ulster ?
Rob K i'd expect, if not Keenan.

Kelleher at 11, I expect.
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

Is Balcony Bob retiring at the end of the season, staying put or cashing in by going to France?
irishrugbyua

Post by irishrugbyua »

Jim Lahey wrote:Is Balcony Bob retiring at the end of the season, staying put or cashing in by going to France?
leaving leinster anyway, unclear if he is going to continue to play.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Synman out for anything between 6 and 12 months I read earlier.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

https://www.the42.ie/ulster-rugby-3-5187269-Aug2020/

Might as well forget the Leinster v Ulster match so.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Just give us the points already.
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

Hahaha the new Munster jersey. The Uk slap abng in the middle of it. :lol:
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

danthefan wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:44 pm https://www.the42.ie/ulster-rugby-3-5187269-Aug2020/

I could see a lot of teams doing this to avoid the blue machine
Lot of people getting wound up at that joke in the comments. :lol:
ZuLu

Post by ZuLu »

I see Munster have gone for two stars on their jersey. Bless.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

ZuLu wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:02 am I see Munster have gone for two stars on their jersey. Bless.
But, but, but .... isn't that a very soccerball thing to do?
hermie

Post by hermie »

danthefan wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:44 pm https://www.the42.ie/ulster-rugby-3-5187269-Aug2020/

Isolate the players, test them all. Hopefully they can cobble together a team. In the Premiership isn't it counted as a 20 pt defeat if you can't field a team due to Covid?
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

They're going to have to test all the Connacht squad as well in case any Ulster players infected them so them v Munster must be at risk too.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Leinster v Ulster was a dead rubber anyway. It was only going to give both teams an opportunity to give some players a run-out ahead of the semis.
Good bit more to play for in the Munster v Connacht match though. Scarlets will go ballistic if the match is declared a draw.
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

Leinsterman wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:40 am Leinster v Ulster was a dead rubber anyway. It was only going to give both teams an opportunity to give some players a run-out ahead of the semis.
Good bit more to play for in the Munster v Connacht match though. Scarlets will go ballistic if the match is declared a draw.
Drive Kid A nuts.......make it so mister Mo!
irishrugbyua

Post by irishrugbyua »

oh we back.
irishrugbyua

Post by irishrugbyua »

Former Connacht men Niyi Adeolokun and Peter McCabe have joined Pat Lam's Bristol on short-term deals until the end of the 2019/20 season.