The Official Irish Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
User avatar
Salanya
Posts: 7795
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Over the hills and far away...

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Salanya »

Disappointing - just didn't turn up in the first half. Saracens played well, but we only played one half. And we left plenty of points on the field.

Some lessons learned about some of our players.

Selections need to be made on form, experience is not enough.
Leo has always trusted the young lads, but he made a few conservative choices today.
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 36517
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Duff Paddy »

franch fan wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:00 pm
Mullet 2 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:59 pm All of that is just dressing though.

You won't win shit with your scrum taking a beating like that.
Leinster scrum is actually pretty good and probably one of the best in the competition.
It's just that Sarries front row is exceptional
Furlong was injured
User avatar
nardol
Posts: 19704
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by nardol »

What does Larmour bring these days?
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 36517
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Duff Paddy »

Brad Barritt is a proper captain. Humble in victory. Well spoken. A real gentleman of the game.
User avatar
IBWT
Posts: 2582
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by IBWT »

Basics so important. Late scrums. Saracens milked pens from them. Two late restarts. Saracens won both giving them field position.
User avatar
Mullet 2
Posts: 28730
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Mullet 2 »

I honestly dont know sometimes with modern pros though. .

Any metro player could see it. All they needed was one penalty and we consistently played in an area where one slip was goodnight.

Truly brainless
iarmhiman
Posts: 40089
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by iarmhiman »

CM11 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:01 pm
danthefan wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:58 pm Didn't see any of the second half, from the score it looks like Leinster at least threw a punch but you can't get f**ked like that in the first half and have a chance of winning. Ah well, better Saracens clearly still better and Leinster with a bit to go
We had more than a chance. We should have won really.
Can't win with a scrum getting destroyed like that.

Other than that brilliant try. Sarries didn't have to play any rugby
User avatar
Flametop
Posts: 17386
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Flametop »

Kelleher should be the Ireland hooker.
Made a big difference when he came on.
Baird looked to the manor born.
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 36517
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Duff Paddy »

nardol wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:02 pm What does Larmour bring these days?
You can’t have a fullback playing like that. He was targeted mercilessly.
franch fan
Posts: 2134
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by franch fan »

Duff Paddy wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:01 pm
franch fan wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:00 pm
Mullet 2 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:59 pm All of that is just dressing though.

You won't win shit with your scrum taking a beating like that.
Leinster scrum is actually pretty good and probably one of the best in the competition.
It's just that Sarries front row is exceptional
Furlong was injured
Leinster and Ireland scrum have been destroyed last year by Sarries and England scrum even with Furlong so not sure it would have changed anything
Last edited by franch fan on Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jumper
Posts: 6054
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:24 pm

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Jumper »

Unlike Munster, Saracens had the power to reap rewards from the boxkicks to Leinster's backthree.

On the bright side, at least it's clear for Cullen where improvements need to be made. Leinster won the Pro14 despite their poor fielding and sepiece due to their power in the pack. Unfortunately, they can't carry those weaknesses against the likes of Saracens.
User avatar
Flametop
Posts: 17386
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Flametop »

nardol wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:02 pm What does Larmour bring these days?
7 points?
User avatar
paddyor
Posts: 19053
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by paddyor »

Mullet 2 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:59 pm All of that is just dressing though.

You won't win shit with your scrum taking a beating like that.
Yeah. I think they were able to slow more because he was slow but it really goes back to the scrum. It was 9 or 12 points.
User avatar
Mullet 2
Posts: 28730
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Mullet 2 »

Duff Paddy wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:01 pm
franch fan wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:00 pm
Mullet 2 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:59 pm All of that is just dressing though.

You won't win shit with your scrum taking a beating like that.
Leinster scrum is actually pretty good and probably one of the best in the competition.
It's just that Sarries front row is exceptional
Furlong was injured
He's good an all but even he would struggle to stop a guy on the other side of the scrum.
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 36517
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Duff Paddy »

Flametop wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:03 pm Kelleher should be the Ireland hooker.
Made a big difference when he came on.
Baird looked to the manor born.
Big questions to be answered as to why they didn’t start. JGP, Kelleher and Baird looked twice the players they replaced
User avatar
nardol
Posts: 19704
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by nardol »

Flametop wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:04 pm
nardol wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:02 pm What does Larmour bring these days?
7 points?
vs 12 conceded
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 36517
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Duff Paddy »

Mullet 2 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:04 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:01 pm
franch fan wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:00 pm
Mullet 2 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:59 pm All of that is just dressing though.

You won't win shit with your scrum taking a beating like that.
Leinster scrum is actually pretty good and probably one of the best in the competition.
It's just that Sarries front row is exceptional
Furlong was injured
He's good an all but even he would struggle to stop a guy on the other side of the scrum.
Try reading what he posted Kid
User avatar
Flametop
Posts: 17386
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Flametop »

nardol wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:05 pm
Flametop wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:04 pm
nardol wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:02 pm What does Larmour bring these days?
7 points?
vs 12 conceded
Come again?
Nolanator
Posts: 38514
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Nolanator »

Mullet 2 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:03 pm I honestly dont know sometimes with modern pros though. .

Any metro player could see it. All they needed was one penalty and we consistently played in an area where one slip was goodnight.

Truly brainless
I don't get it either. Force play down the other end in that last 15 minutes. Don't invite pressure on yourself.
User avatar
nardol
Posts: 19704
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by nardol »

Leo and co actually deserve the biggest criticism for the team they presented.

Best team was on the pitch at 60min

And to coach a team to scrum like that.....
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 36517
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Duff Paddy »

franch fan wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:03 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:01 pm
franch fan wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:00 pm
Mullet 2 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:59 pm All of that is just dressing though.

You won't win shit with your scrum taking a beating like that.
Leinster scrum is actually pretty good and probably one of the best in the competition.
It's just that Sarries front row is exceptional
Furlong was injured
Leinster and Ireland scrum have been destroyed last year by Sarries and England scrum even with Furlong so not sure it would have changed anything
Some of the penalties were given up by his replacement, he would have helped a bit
Leinsterbloke
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Leinsterbloke »

franch fan wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:59 pm
Leinsterbloke wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:56 pm Why was McCall not talked about for Irish coach?
I don't think him becoming the Irish coach will make players like Itoje or the Vunipola brothers naturalizing Irish.
But maybe he would coach the players he has to win, like he does at his current job. It's not a new idea to get the best coach in
franch fan
Posts: 2134
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by franch fan »

Duff Paddy wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:04 pm
Flametop wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:03 pm Kelleher should be the Ireland hooker.
Made a big difference when he came on.
Baird looked to the manor born.
Big questions to be answered as to why they didn’t start. JGP, Kelleher and Baird looked twice the players they replaced
Leinster scrum were equally destroyed in second half than during the first half.
It's just that there have been less scrums in second half and especially less scrums with Sarries introducing (even when your scrum is superior, it's obviously harder to get penalties when the other team is introducing)
User avatar
Mullet 2
Posts: 28730
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Mullet 2 »

Duff Paddy wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:05 pm
Mullet 2 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:04 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:01 pm
franch fan wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:00 pm
Mullet 2 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:59 pm All of that is just dressing though.

You won't win shit with your scrum taking a beating like that.
Leinster scrum is actually pretty good and probably one of the best in the competition.
It's just that Sarries front row is exceptional
Furlong was injured
He's good an all but even he would struggle to stop a guy on the other side of the scrum.
Try reading what he posted Kid
Yeah I did and your reply tells me you know as much about the scrum as you do about Covid
User avatar
Salanya
Posts: 7795
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Over the hills and far away...

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Salanya »

Flametop wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:06 pm
nardol wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:05 pm
Flametop wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:04 pm
nardol wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:02 pm What does Larmour bring these days?
7 points?
vs 12 conceded
Come again?
Nardol is talking out of his Irish arse.
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 59461
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by CM11 »

iarmhiman wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:03 pm
CM11 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:01 pm
danthefan wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:58 pm Didn't see any of the second half, from the score it looks like Leinster at least threw a punch but you can't get f**ked like that in the first half and have a chance of winning. Ah well, better Saracens clearly still better and Leinster with a bit to go
We had more than a chance. We should have won really.
Can't win with a scrum getting destroyed like that.

Other than that brilliant try. Sarries didn't have to play any rugby
And why was there so many scrums? We had opportunities to put that game away but screwed up.
de_Selby
Posts: 3699
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:47 pm

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by de_Selby »

Duff Paddy wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:04 pm
Flametop wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:03 pm Kelleher should be the Ireland hooker.
Made a big difference when he came on.
Baird looked to the manor born.
Big questions to be answered as to why they didn’t start. JGP, Kelleher and Baird looked twice the players they replaced
Every one of Kelleher's lineouts went to the front. He's great but obviously not trusted there (with good reason on recent showings)
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 36517
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Duff Paddy »

Mullet 2 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:07 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:05 pm
Mullet 2 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:04 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:01 pm
franch fan wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:00 pm

Leinster scrum is actually pretty good and probably one of the best in the competition.
It's just that Sarries front row is exceptional
Furlong was injured
He's good an all but even he would struggle to stop a guy on the other side of the scrum.
Try reading what he posted Kid
Yeah I did and your reply tells me you know as much about the scrum as you do about Covid
Healy wasn’t the only one getting ponged - did you miss the penalties for being on the knee before the ball was put in? Furlong don’t do that
User avatar
Mullet 2
Posts: 28730
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Mullet 2 »

Further analysis is useless really.

No team that throughly dicked in the scrum is winning shit. Instead of springing Jack McGrath we brought on Ed Byrne.
Conservative Eddie
Posts: 2600
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Conservative Eddie »

Leinsterbloke wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:06 pm
franch fan wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:59 pm
Leinsterbloke wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:56 pm Why was McCall not talked about for Irish coach?
I don't think him becoming the Irish coach will make players like Itoje or the Vunipola brothers naturalizing Irish.
But maybe he would coach the players he has to win, like he does at his current job. It's not a new idea to get the best coach in
Actually the most impressive thing about Saracens is the way the entire squad is so well drilled. Even guys that they pick up from championship sides are coached to fit in to their system and deliver. Whether it's McCall or the rest of his staff, they clearly know their stuff.
MunsterMan!!!!!
Posts: 4681
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by MunsterMan!!!!! »

Duff Paddy wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:04 pm
Flametop wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:03 pm Kelleher should be the Ireland hooker.
Made a big difference when he came on.
Baird looked to the manor born.
Big questions to be answered as to why they didn’t start. JGP, Kelleher and Baird looked twice the players they replaced
Kelleher - the lineout had been an issue for the previous few match, leo obviously thought it was down to him.

JGP - not sure, mcgrath probably looked good against munster/ulster sides that are many many levels below sarries, he reverted to type with the pressure they applied.

Baird - he looks good
User avatar
paddyor
Posts: 19053
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by paddyor »

nardol wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:05 pm
Flametop wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:04 pm
nardol wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:02 pm What does Larmour bring these days?
7 points?
vs 12 conceded
He plays front row now?

The try seemed to be connors fault but would need to watch back. Also the peno from Henshaw is all on Mcgrath for his allyup pass from the base of the ruck.
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 36517
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Duff Paddy »

Conservative Eddie wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:11 pm
Leinsterbloke wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:06 pm
franch fan wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:59 pm
Leinsterbloke wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:56 pm Why was McCall not talked about for Irish coach?
I don't think him becoming the Irish coach will make players like Itoje or the Vunipola brothers naturalizing Irish.
But maybe he would coach the players he has to win, like he does at his current job. It's not a new idea to get the best coach in
Actually the most impressive thing about Saracens is the way the entire squad is so well drilled. Even guys that they pick up from championship sides are coached to fit in to their system and deliver. Whether it's McCall or the rest of his staff, they clearly know their stuff.
They are an awesome team. No other team would have lived with Leinster in the second half today.
Irish
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Irish »

JGP has been better than Mc grath for past year

Mc Grath always has a brain fart or two

Baird and Fardy would have been better today from the off. I love healy but he got hammered by Koch last year. And today. But no real option there.

JGP and Marmion - my two first choice for Ireland.
User avatar
EverReady
Posts: 32816
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by EverReady »

JGP is criminally underrated. It's inexplicable
User avatar
Mullet 2
Posts: 28730
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Mullet 2 »

We need a 9.

Tell Nucifora to give us Casey.

Only fair like.
MunsterMan!!!!!
Posts: 4681
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by MunsterMan!!!!! »

Are BT trying to change MOM to the "star of the match" ?
User avatar
Flametop
Posts: 17386
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Flametop »

Get Cooney home before Ulster ruin him.
iarmhiman
Posts: 40089
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by iarmhiman »

Is Healy close to the end now?

Or is it just Vincent Koch who is unplayable?
User avatar
RWC2015
Posts: 4405
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:19 pm

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by RWC2015 »

Vincent Koch was the difference at the end of the day. Healy has been conspicuously awful in the loose for the past few weeks, and was taken to the cleaners today also. In fairness, three or four of the pens seemed to come from 8 man shoves rather than Koch V Healy?

Leinster did well to get back into it, but horrible to lose to Sarries (again).
Post Reply