All things Rugby
Willie Falloon

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Willie Falloon »

Mr. Very Popular wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:48 pm
camroc1 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:42 pm
Mullet 2 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:32 pm
Bogbunny wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:18 pm
Winnie wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:16 pm The welsh are still loyal to their clubs
They never really bought into it
The fact they lose every week doesn’t help

Thought the Scarlets were basically Llanelli??
They are all basically clubs, that line doesnt wash.
Llanelli and Cardiff remained as sole clubs.
Ospreys were an amalgamation of Neath and Swansea
Dragons of Newport, and Ebbw Vale, and
The Celtic Warriors (remember them ?) Bridgend, and Pontypridd
Ah, I thought Llanelli merged with Bridgend, were they supposed to?
Makes even it weirder that they moved out of Stradey.
Didn't Stradey get sold for development? I always thought Newport and the Scarlets were the only 2 regions in Welsh rugby with a bit of identity. Scarlets have a pile of young fellas coming through. Ospreys are finished, just a club on it's knees at the minute.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Thought both Scarlets and Cardiff took in some extra clubs. Particularly the former, which is why they aren't as well supported.
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

Winnie wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:16 pm The welsh are still loyal to their clubs
They never really bought into it
The fact they lose every week doesn’t help

It wouldn’t make much sense for Llanelli to merge with Bridgend given the distance between them , Cardiff is much closer to Bridgend
Bogbunny

Post by Bogbunny »

Willie Falloon wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:52 pm

Didn't Stradey get sold for development? I always thought Newport and the Scarlets were the only 2 regions in Welsh rugby with a bit of identity. Scarlets have a pile of young fellas coming through. Ospreys are finished, just a club on it's knees at the minute.
What became of Pontypool?, they were a serious club in the 70's
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

Bogbunny wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:58 pm
Willie Falloon wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:52 pm

What became of Pontypool?, they were a serious club in the 70's
Cardiff I think
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

Willie Falloon wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:19 pm
feckwanker wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:14 pm
Willie Falloon wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:43 pm
Flametop wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:38 pm
Kanbei wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:35 pm Sounds like Aaron Sexton might be getting his first Ulster cap tonight from the bench.
He’s too slow.
6ft4 and can run 100m in 10.4 seconds, lets hope he is good at rugby as well. Could be our Jonny May :proud:
The kiss of death from Willie.
Not, really I'm usually pretty accurate, only got it wrong (very wrong) once. That was on a lock called Dalton.

Plus, I never predicted anything for Sexton.
McBurney
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

It's the Welsh version of GAA

If they all say they don't like their regions they can pretend a few tubby semi pros winning the welsh league is the be all and end all.
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

CM11 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:57 pm Thought both Scarlets and Cardiff took in some extra clubs. Particularly the former, which is why they aren't as well supported.
Scarlets is the most westerly of the regions so probably takes in everything between them and the west coast in their region
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Current Welsh Regions :

Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

Cheers Cammy I was just going to have a look for that :thumbup:
DOB

Post by DOB »

The real question is where are all the other Welsh clubs within that map.
Bogbunny

Post by Bogbunny »

camroc1 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:10 pm Current Welsh Regions :

What self respecting Anglesey rugby fan wouldn't drive 5 hours round trip to support their region.

Bloody Lightweights :x
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

Bogbunny wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:58 pm What became of Pontypool?, they were a serious club in the 70's
Nothing. Still fancy themselves as a club and hate Cardiff. Cardiff are meant to be their "region" but they won't support a team called Cardiff. Cardiff can't drop it from their name or they can't play at CAP. Though I suspect that if the athletics club were pushed to not having anyone as a tenant they'd drop that rule.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Did Sexton get on tonight
I didn’t see him come on
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

DOB wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:47 pm The real question is where are all the other Welsh clubs within that map.
IIRC, Gwent has the most clubs and that's the Dragons(Newports) region. And you've guessed it, they all hate Newport.
Kanbei

Post by Kanbei »

Winnie wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:03 am Did Sexton get on tonight
I didn’t see him come on

No, Ulster initially put up a changed team on Twitter before quickly taking it down. Assumed that they had just jumped the gun but was actually just a mistake.

Hope he gets his chance soon.
DOB

Post by DOB »

paddyor wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:04 am
DOB wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:47 pm The real question is where are all the other Welsh clubs within that map.
IIRC, Gwent has the most clubs and that's the Dragons(Newports) region. And you've guessed it, they all hate Newport.
Sounds about right.

I do remember back in the early days of it a Swansea fan here complaining that the whole board of the Ospreys directors would constantly refer to the team as, and only as, Neath.
SFBB

Post by SFBB »

Combine this with the club map and you can see the problem for Wales. Nowhere to go in terms of population. Every urban center is totally represented - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_l ... population

earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

The mad stat for me is that in 7 games we've only attempted 5 penalties.
SFBB

Post by SFBB »

earl the beaver wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:19 am The mad stat for me is that in 7 games we've only attempted 5 penalties.
Thats one of the soft positives. They've clearly tried to create more, although the plan on how they create is missing. I'd have been telling my team to keep going for drop goals whenever you got within 40m of Englands goals, let alone be waiting for penalties. Scoreboard pressure is needed against them.
Boxcar Ira

Post by Boxcar Ira »

I only got to see the first 20 minutes and last 20 minutes. Farrell looks like our best centre if we are to continue forever with Schmidt-Ball and Stockdale was dangerous. Our back 3 can do damage if we get them the ball amazingly enough and we cant do that with Murray.

Our tight 5 is miles behind Englands though and I dont see that as being an easy one to solve.
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

Lads tell me if I'm mad.

Spoke to the old man yesterday and my brother this morning doing the school run about the game. Both of them were of the opinion that because England had to make 240 odd tackles, they were shit and didn't show anything in attack, and that we had chances to win the match.

My rebuttal was that it has been evident for quite some time now that we are shite in attack so they obviously booted the ball away to us to let us sit in our own shit long enough until we f**ked up and then took advantage. My view is that we never looked like winning that game and that England were in 2nd gear because they simply didn't have to get out of it. The score-line massively flattered Ireland as that was not a 2-score game.

Then I got met by both of them with the old "Well you must have been watching a different game" response and they went on about England being shite in attack and it was only because we didn't take our chances that we didn't win.

Both are semi-knowledgeable rugby fellas. I was completely flabbergasted by their opinions.

Am I over-egging the situation? Did we actually have opportunities to win that game? I'm really second-guessing myself here!
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

Also 7 years since that game that never happened. Just got a FB reminder of me looking devastated in the pub afterwards.

I was hanging from the night before and Balcony Bob's intercept singlehandedly cured my hangover enough so that I could get back on the pints of Guinness. Then those kunts Nigel Owens and Ryan Crotty conspired to turn it into probably my worst rugby experience :thumbdown:
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

Jim Lahey wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:26 am Lads tell me if I'm mad.

Spoke to the old man yesterday and my brother this morning doing the school run about the game. Both of them were of the opinion that because England had to make 240 odd tackles, they were shit and didn't show anything in attack, and that we had chances to win the match.

My rebuttal was that it has been evident for quite some time now that we are shite in attack so they obviously booted the ball away to us to let us sit in our own shit long enough until we f**ked up and then took advantage. My view is that we never looked like winning that game and that England were in 2nd gear because they simply didn't have to get out of it. The score-line massively flattered Ireland as that was not a 2-score game.

Then I got met by both of them with the old "Well you must have been watching a different game" response and they went on about England being shite in attack and it was only because we didn't take our chances that we didn't win.

Both are semi-knowledgeable rugby fellas. I was completely flabbergasted by their opinions.

Am I over-egging the situation? Did we actually have opportunities to win that game? I'm really second-guessing myself here!
You’re all right.
England were shit with the ball but we were shitter.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Jim

I completely disagree with the opinion that the scoreline flattered England. They were pretty toothless.

While it's a stretch to argue we could have won it with not much else going our way, it's also a stretch to say a team with 32% possession and 28% territory kicked the shit out of you. Itoje, their MOM, sure didn't get his reward for anything he did in attack.
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

Jim Lahey wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:33 am Also 7 years since that game that never happened. Just got a FB reminder of me looking devastated in the pub afterwards.

I was hanging from the night before and Balcony Bob's intercept singlehandedly cured my hangover enough so that I could get back on the pints of Guinness. Then those kunts Nigel Owens and Ryan Crotty conspired to turn it into probably my worst rugby experience :thumbdown:
Have to say, I don’t remember any of that.
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

SFBB wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:25 am
earl the beaver wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:19 am The mad stat for me is that in 7 games we've only attempted 5 penalties.
Thats one of the soft positives. They've clearly tried to create more, although the plan on how they create is missing. I'd have been telling my team to keep going for drop goals whenever you got within 40m of Englands goals, let alone be waiting for penalties. Scoreboard pressure is needed against them.
Was talking about Ulster tbf.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

earl the beaver wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:44 am
SFBB wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:25 am
Was talking about Ulster tbf.
That was my first thought but then it is 7 games we've had under Farrell too, isn't it?
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

I had a my uncle say the same.

The big issue for me is the lineout fluffing our two chances to build some pressure.
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

CM11 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:42 am Jim

I completely disagree with the opinion that the scoreline flattered England. They were pretty toothless.

While it's a stretch to argue we could have won it with not much else going our way, it's also a stretch to say a team with 32% possession and 28% territory kicked the shit out of you. Itoje, their MOM, sure didn't get his reward for anything he did in attack.
You don’t have to look good in attack to be comfortable winners imo. Defence wins you big games.

England dominated us with their defence. It was a top-class defensive display and made us look completely impotent with the ball. And they won the game by 11 points, only due to 1 moment of attacking flair by Ireland. I thought England were excellent for making us look so bad.

Yeah they didn’t play French joue-joue rugby but they were completely at ease for the full game imo. I would be very happy watching that as an England supporter.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

I think an issue being missed is that the IRB have shat the bed, particularly at the very top level.

They went into conclave at the end of last year and everyone welcomed it because the initial noise was that they were going to tackle the defensive line being permanently offside.

Instead they have brought in variations that make it even easier to defend.

The mistakes they made in 2008 when the game turned into kick tennis.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

You can win a game 3-0 comfortably without the scoreline flattering the losers.

England were the better side, without a doubt, and won comfortably, but it wasn't a hiding. I've seen Ireland on the wrong side of enough hidings to know what one looks like.
rfurlong

Post by rfurlong »

Jim Lahey wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:33 am Also 7 years since that game that never happened. Just got a FB reminder of me looking devastated in the pub afterwards.

I was at the game with my two lads aged 10 and 8 at the time

I steadfastly refused to believe we were going to win the match at any stage, just in order to keep some semblance of calm. The missus had also told me not to be shouting and roaring at everything with the two impressionable young fellas in tow :lol:

I turned around with about 40 seconds left and hugged them both and told them they were witnessing history. I told them I was so happy to have shared the moment with them and that it would be one of my abiding memories in life.

I told them that I hoped it would be a special memory for them also, that they could recall over the duration of their lives and maybe share with their kids.

And then Nigel kicked me and everyone else in the balls :x
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

rfurlong wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:56 am

I steadfastly refused to believe we were going to win the match at any stage, just in order to keep some semblance of calm. The missus had also told me not to be shouting and roaring at everything with the two impressionable young fellas in tow :lol:

I turned around with about 40 seconds left and hugged them both and told them they were witnessing history. I told them I was so happy to have shared the moment with them and that it would be one of my abiding memories in life.

I told them that I hoped it would be a special memory for them also, that they could recall over the duration of their lives and maybe share with their kids.

Bummer :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was lucky enough to be there in Nov 2018 but as Rod the Prod said, The First Cut Is The Deepest. I have never forgiven NZ for it.
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

DOB wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:37 am
paddyor wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:04 am
Sounds about right.

I do remember back in the early days of it a Swansea fan here complaining that the whole board of the Ospreys directors would constantly refer to the team as, and only as, Neath.
And now Neath are gone and the Ospreys are basically a Swansea operation.
hermie

Post by hermie »

No Jim you're dead right. England aren't the first team that like to play without the ball. NZ were masters at it for years. They had a great defence and then relied on McAwe et al to eventually turn the ball over and they were lethal off turnover ball. Eddie Jones was saying that England have been working super hard on their transition play. I don't think they were all that effective at it (apart from May's 2nd) but they didn't need to be. Their defence is more about breaking the will of the opposition as opposed to doing fancy shit when the game breaks up. Saracens are pretty similar.
rfurlong

Post by rfurlong »

Jim Lahey wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:01 am
rfurlong wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:56 am

Bummer :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was lucky enough to be there in Nov 2018 but as Rod the Prod said, The First Cut Is The Deepest. I have never forgiven NZ for it.
I don't know what would have happened without Chicago ..... was watching that on a shitty live stream with the two boys and when Henshaw went over they tried to convince me we'd won ..... needless to say I snapped and told them to "shut the fudge up - have you learned nothing?" :lol:
hermie

Post by hermie »

Mullet 2 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:52 am I think an issue being missed is that the IRB have shat the bed, particularly at the very top level.

They went into conclave at the end of last year and everyone welcomed it because the initial noise was that they were going to tackle the defensive line being permanently offside.

Instead they have brought in variations that make it even easier to defend.

The mistakes they made in 2008 when the game turned into kick tennis.
That's another good point. The way referees are viewing things at the minute you are nearly better off without the ball in a lot of cases. Especially if Andrew Brace is the ref!
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

The half time scoreboard in that match, Ireland 22 New Zealand 7 is still the screensaver on my phone... :lol:

Regarding the match, we did have chances to score that we didn't take, and could have won the match. Whether or not we would have deserved to is a different question. They got away with murder at the breakdown, and considering the TMOs intervention on Roux's dismissal of one of their players wandering around our side of the ruck, his marked reluctance to do so when Healy got a shoulder to the head when we were camped on their line in the second half is puzzling. That particular play ended with a penalty to England for Ireland not releasing despite the English player having knees on the ground, and hands all over the ball.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Duff summed it up pretty well actually.

Teams in possession are being blown for absolutely immaterial off their feet penalties in uncontested rucks and meanwhile reaching over and placing your hands on the ball gets you a holding penalty.