The Official Irish Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
Winnie

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Winnie »

Hellraiser wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:23 pm
Trostan wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:18 pm
Winnie wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:11 pm Two tough Pro 14 matches for Ulster & Munster
Still brings in 2 bonus points wins
League is dying on its arse
Its a real problem.
We are too good for this league.
Lose television audiences, lose the league.
Don't think the SA Super League clubs are the answer.
Have to be British Irish league, two divisions, promotion and relegation.
The English aren't interested.
The right money from sponsorships and broadcasting will tweak their interest
The only spanner I guess are those yoyo clubs that if they go down the wrong year could find themselves locked out
themaddog

Post by themaddog »

Willie Falloon wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:18 pm
YOYO wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:16 pm He’s like a bull in the motm interview. The leg is going 20.
What or who are you talking about? :?
Mention a farm animal and Willie is all over it. :lol:
Hellraiser

Post by Hellraiser »

Winnie wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:27 pm
Hellraiser wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:23 pm
Winnie wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:11 pm Two tough Pro 14 matches for Ulster & Munster
Its a real problem.
The English aren't interested.
The right money from sponsorships and broadcasting will tweak their interest
The only spanner I guess are those yoyo clubs that if they go down the wrong year could find themselves locked out
It's not going to happen.
YOYO

Post by YOYO »

themaddog wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:27 pm
Willie Falloon wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:18 pm
YOYO wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:16 pm He’s like a bull in the motm interview. The leg is going 20.
What or who are you talking about? :?
Mention a farm animal and Willie is all over it. :lol:
In short Coombes was a like a young bull in amongst a herd of cows.
Munster-fogs

Post by Munster-fogs »

Its a real problem.
Enough of this shit. You're as bad as the Welsh. This is our league and we're not moving. It's up to the others to improve.
Charger21

Post by Charger21 »

Irish teams have played 25 and won 23 so far in the league. The rest need to improve quick
Ulsters Red Hand

Post by Ulsters Red Hand »

Ex Ulster academy Matthew Dalton has signed for Utah Warriors. There’s still time for him to be Lions captain yet :nod:
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

iarmhiman wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:29 pm What if went with a back row of

6 Ruddock
7 Leavy
8 Coombes

Better ball carriers for a start . More bulk. We're light at the moment
Love it
crouchy

Post by crouchy »

The league has been shit for years, this year is just a continuation of a downward trend.

Leinster and Ulster would probably qualify for knockouts before Christmas if there wasn't Euro weekends in there.
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

So will Coombes v Doris be the new Radge v Sexton?
YOYO

Post by YOYO »

Is Coombes any bigger and more powerful than CJ? CJ would tear it up at Pro14 level in this Munster team against depleted opposition sides. Coombes looks the business but he has yet to move up a level (HC and international level) and prove himself. Hasn’t been easy for Doris so far.. granted he’s still a green horn but will no doubt improve and progress.
Last edited by YOYO on Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

YOYO wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:42 am Is Coombes any bigger and more powerful than CJ? CJ would tear it up at Pro14 level in this Munster team against depleted opposition sides. Coombes looks the business but he has yet to more up a level (HC and international level) and prove himself. Hasn’t been easy for Doris so far.. granted he’s still a green horn but will no doubt improve and progress.
No doubt that Doris is a good player but he plays in a superior pack which almost certainly helps him shine.
SFBB

Post by SFBB »

YOYO wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:42 am Is Coombes any bigger and more powerful than CJ? CJ would tear it up at Pro14 level in this Munster team against depleted opposition sides. Coombes looks the business but he has yet to move up a level (HC and international level) and prove himself. Hasn’t been easy for Doris so far.. granted he’s still a green horn but will no doubt improve and progress.
Coombes is naturally much bigger than CJ. CJ at this stage would manshame these lads in the P14, but Coombes is 12cm taller and about the same weight at the start of his pro career as CJ is at the end of his.

Whats very exciting for me is how Munster are using him at 2 in the lineout for a lot of their most effective plays. He's clearly more than just a lump of a young fella.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

I like the cut of this young lads jib
I’m all aboard the Coombes hype train
Munster-fogs

Post by Munster-fogs »

Munster-fogs wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:11 pm
Mr. Very Popular wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:09 pm
blindsider wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:43 pm Fudge Eir and Virgin and their bich-argument!!

Any streams for GLA v MUN? None listed on the usual sites VIPBox, Cricfree or Wiziwig......

Can't even go tho the bloody pub to watch it.... x(
https://www.vipleague.lc/rugby-sports-stream
That's a handy aul website. I'm quite reliant on Mobdro and an app I have for my android box but couldn't seem to get a working link on either of them. Good to have another option. Don't appear to be able to cast it to the tv though. Any time I click to do it it doesn't work.
Just looking into that link above again. When I click the red box on the page instead of one of the broadcast links it takes me to another page called allsports4free.live. Has anyone used this and verify it's legit? It says it's free yet requires credit card details, but promise they won't charge it. Sounds a bit fishy but it looks pretty nifty.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

:lol:
Munster-fogs wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:40 am
blindsider wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:43 pm Fudge Eir and Virgin and their bich-argument!!

Any streams for GLA v MUN? None listed on the usual sites VIPBox, Cricfree or Wiziwig......

That's a handy aul website. I'm quite reliant on Mobdro and an app I have for my android box but couldn't seem to get a working link on either of them. Good to have another option. Don't appear to be able to cast it to the tv though. Any time I click to do it it doesn't work.
Just looking into that link above again. When I click the red box on the page instead of one of the broadcast links it takes me to another page called allsports4free.live. Has anyone used this and verify it's legit? It says it's free yet requires credit card details, but promise they won't charge it. Sounds a bit fishy but it looks pretty nifty.
:lol: Send me your bank account details and I’ll investigate it for you
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Munster-fogs wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:40 am

It’s a tenner a month and you get every game
Just pay it!
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

Will Connors was brought straight into the Irish team before he played Heineken Cup rugby. There's no reason why Farrell shouldn't be doing the same with Coombes.

Carrying, passing, lineout, and turnovers from a 6ft6 and 110 kg backrow. We'll see how he goes as he steps up the levels, but it's hard to point out anything missing from his game.

Craig Casey should be straight into the Irish squad too.
cfm93

Post by cfm93 »

EOS called in the Ireland squad as cover for Ed Byrne.
YOYO

Post by YOYO »

Jumper wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:36 am Will Connors was brought straight into the Irish team before he played Heineken Cup rugby. There's no reason why Farrell shouldn't be doing the same with Coombes.

Carrying, passing, lineout, and turnovers from a 6ft6 and 110 kg backrow. We'll see how he goes as he steps up the levels, but it's hard to point out anything missing from his game.

I didn’t know he was that big, at least height wise. Monster level backrow and maybe he’ll stack on another few kg.
YOYO

Post by YOYO »

cfm93 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:51 am EOS called in the Ireland squad as cover for Ed Byrne.
Leinster definitely missed a step letting him go to Ulster. Did he go through the Dublin schools system or was he an outlier?
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

cfm93 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:51 am EOS called in the Ireland squad as cover for Ed Byrne.
Delighted for him.

I think in McFarland's mind Jack McGrath will be first choice for Ulster when fit and in form but EOS is going great guns and has one hell of an engine.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Harry Byrne called up as well.
hermie

Post by hermie »

feckwanker wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:44 am
YOYO wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:42 am Is Coombes any bigger and more powerful than CJ? CJ would tear it up at Pro14 level in this Munster team against depleted opposition sides. Coombes looks the business but he has yet to more up a level (HC and international level) and prove himself. Hasn’t been easy for Doris so far.. granted he’s still a green horn but will no doubt improve and progress.
No doubt that Doris is a good player but he plays in a superior pack which almost certainly helps him shine.
Absolute horeshit. Did you see him play for the 20s? He was a one man pack. He was also one of the better players at the weekend, amidst those with a lot more experienced.
Ulsters Red Hand

Post by Ulsters Red Hand »

Jumper wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:36 am Will Connors was brought straight into the Irish team before he played Heineken Cup rugby. There's no reason why Farrell shouldn't be doing the same with Coombes.

If I was Farrell I would be looking at Cooney, McGrath and JGP as my 3 scrummies and have Casey in training with the squad
hermie

Post by hermie »

SFBB wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:12 am
YOYO wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:42 am Is Coombes any bigger and more powerful than CJ? CJ would tear it up at Pro14 level in this Munster team against depleted opposition sides. Coombes looks the business but he has yet to move up a level (HC and international level) and prove himself. Hasn’t been easy for Doris so far.. granted he’s still a green horn but will no doubt improve and progress.
Coombes is naturally much bigger than CJ. CJ at this stage would manshame these lads in the P14, but Coombes is 12cm taller and about the same weight at the start of his pro career as CJ is at the end of his.

Whats very exciting for me is how Munster are using him at 2 in the lineout for a lot of their most effective plays. He's clearly more than just a lump of a young fella.
Would love to see him at 6, as a Kaino style enforcer. Jumping at 2 is a great asset as well, as you say,
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

Its not often I agree with Jumper but he’s spot on here on both points.

I feel sick.
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

hermie wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:10 am
SFBB wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:12 am

Would love to see him at 6, as a Kaino style enforcer. Jumping at 2 is a great asset as well, as you say,
I think we'l see him at 8 with CJ at 6. It shouldn't change what they are asked to do except off the base. Coombes' size and offloading from the base is a serious asset. It then leaves CJ for the carry on the second phase.
hermie

Post by hermie »

Jim Lahey wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:11 am

I feel sick.
Who do you drop for Coombes though? There's no injuries is there? Connors has certainly done nothing wrong, nor O'Mahoney. Stander?
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Drop POM for Coombes, just to make Jumper wet his knickers even more.
hermie

Post by hermie »

:lol:
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

I’d drop VDF from the squad. We know what we’re getting from him but he isn’t what we need right now.
I’d play Doris Connors and Coombes against the Georgians for the craic, CJ on the bench in case we need to tighten things up.
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

Good shout with EOS. Cronin would be the best available LH after Healy by my reckoning, but he probably falls into the same boat as Ruddock and Cooney; too old to be worth bringing up to speed at the expense of younger players.
YOYO

Post by YOYO »

“ Born in Dublin, O'Sullivan attended Templeogue College and Trinity College, where he completed a business studies course. O'Sullivan represented his native Leinster at under-17, under-18, under-19 and under-20 level, but missed out on a place in Leinster's academy. Strong performances for Dublin University in the All-Ireland League caught the attention of Ulster and, after an appearance for Ulster's 'A' side in early 2017, O'Sullivan joined the Ulster academy.”

So he never represented Ireland at underage. That right?
Last edited by YOYO on Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
hermie

Post by hermie »

Jim Lahey wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:22 am I’d drop VDF from the squad. We know what we’re getting from him but he isn’t what we need right now.
I’d play Doris Connors and Coombes against the Georgians for the craic, CJ on the bench in case we need to tighten things up.
Makes no sense dropping the only out and out 7 for another 6/8.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Jumper wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:23 am
Good shout with EOS. Cronin would be the best available LH after Healy by my reckoning, but he probably falls into the same boat as Ruddock and Cooney; too old to be worth bringing up to speed at the expense of younger players.
And he's thick as fuck.
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

hermie wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:25 am
Jim Lahey wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:22 am I’d drop VDF from the squad. We know what we’re getting from him but he isn’t what we need right now.
Makes no sense dropping the only out and out 7 for another 6/8.
Its only Georgia like.
We could probably get away with Marty Moore playing openside ffs.
CJ or PoM could fill in if needed.
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

Nolanator wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:26 am
Jumper wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:23 am
And he's thick as fuck.
Unlike the rocket surgeon Cian Healy?
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Jim Lahey wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:11 am

I feel sick.
Except Connors played HEC rugby before being capped.