The Official Irish Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
Jumper

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Jumper »

EverReady wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:41 pm My understanding is all the negativity around him starting for Ireland has really got to him. Quelle surprise. It is mostly driven by the scarf wearing super fans who want to pretend they were watching rugby when Gunty mauled 29 players 100 yards down the pitch to have us beat Wales 4 points to 3, our largest victory since 1948.
There was next-to-no negativity surrounding Lowe. The likes of Stander and Aki were abused for months (/years?). Lowe got a half-mention once or twice.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

I am aware that's what you believe. Just because PR says it doesn't mean it's true
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

Leinster in London wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:29 pm Lowe should not be there. As previously mentioned I hate the concept of poaches, but would now question Lowe's committment. Yes he was not playing yesterday afternoon, but instead of supporting his teammates by watching the match he went to the beach.
He couldn't be arsed to chase back and stop Daly's try against England, and now he didn't even care to support his teammates. :thumbdown:
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

EverReady wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:40 pm I am aware that's what you believe. Just because PR says it doesn't mean it's true

At least he didn't go whining to the press like Zebo constantly does.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

' Tune in later and Simon tells lifestyle correspondent Kathy that Christmas in Cork with all the lights and the food and all the trimmings reminds him of still being eligible to play for Ireland'
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

EverReady wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:36 pm
feckwanker wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:33 pm
EverReady wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:23 pm Lowe
I'm calling bullshit.
Kleyn and Bent got heaps of abuse when getting capped but Lowe and JGP kind of flew under the radar.
He is highly strung and their has been plenty of noise. Little things like journos getting digs in at pressers
:?
Not sure if serious.....
Despot

Post by Despot »

The winners in this series could well be the guys who weren't there. The covid closed shop squad meant that the provinces could give developing players a good run. Coombes, Casey, Healy, Penney, and a few more have had a good run and proved their worth. Some of the senior players will not be returning to secure places.
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

Despot wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:52 pm The winners in this series could well be the guys who weren't there. The covid closed shop squad meant that the provinces could give developing players a good run. Coombes, Casey, Healy, Penney, and a few more have had a good run and proved their worth. Some of the senior players will not be returning to secure places.
:lol: :lol:
We all know what's going to happen when they return to the provinces.....
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

Despot wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:52 pm The winners in this series could well be the guys who weren't there. The covid closed shop squad meant that the provinces could give developing players a good run. Coombes, Casey, Healy, Penney, and a few more have had a good run and proved their worth. Some of the senior players will not be returning to secure places.
Shane Daly could well be a big loser in the short term.

He went into the squad as the form 15 in the country. He was then injured and missed everything bar a 25 minute run ou in a terrible performance to Georgia. While he has been away, Gallagher and Haley have been performing well at 15 for Munster.
rialtoblue

Post by rialtoblue »

feckwanker wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:54 pm
:lol: :lol:
We all know what's going to happen when they return to the provinces.....
In Leinster's case I think Dooley and H Byrne have done enough to be ahead of E Byrne and R Byrne

(Too many Byrnes)
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Jumper wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:38 pm
EverReady wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:41 pm My understanding is all the negativity around him starting for Ireland has really got to him. Quelle surprise. It is mostly driven by the scarf wearing super fans who want to pretend they were watching rugby when Gunty mauled 29 players 100 yards down the pitch to have us beat Wales 4 points to 3, our largest victory since 1948.
There was next-to-no negativity surrounding Lowe. The likes of Stander and Aki were abused for months (/years?). Lowe got a half-mention once or twice.
Pretty disgusting xenophobia on show here from Junper
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Jumper wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:40 pm
Leinster in London wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:29 pm Lowe should not be there. As previously mentioned I hate the concept of poaches, but would now question Lowe's committment. Yes he was not playing yesterday afternoon, but instead of supporting his teammates by watching the match he went to the beach.
He couldn't be arsed to chase back and stop Daly's try against England, and now he didn't even care to support his teammates. :thumbdown:
Implying Maori people are lazy and disloyal is not cool man.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Leinster in London wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:29 pm
earl the beaver wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:11 am
rialtoblue wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:00 am
Mullet 2 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:16 am You do have to admit its pretty funny that all us Rugby oracles have been calling for Sextons head for 18 months and we get a brief glimpse of it and all of a sudden it ain't so rosy in the garden.
I don't believe Sexton is for the knacker's yard JUST yet. But would like to see H. Byrne (or Healy) being given the bench time and 2nd tier starts to allow their games grow and learn from one of the best. I really hope Leo rewards form when it comes to the Heineken Cup selection .

When's Sexton's projected return?
Kinsella tweeted that hes due to return to starting lineup this weekend.

I'd guess

Healy
Herring/Kelleher
Porter
Henderson
Ryan
Standard
Connors
Doris
Murray
Sexton
Lowe
Aki
Farrell
Keenan
Stockdale
Lowe should not be there. As previously mentioned I hate the concept of poaches, but would now question Lowe's committment. Yes he was not playing yesterday afternoon, but instead of supporting his teammates by watching the match he went to the beach.
He went where
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

Mullet 2 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:32 pm I wouldn’t question the commitment of anybody who goes to the beach in November
Nor would I :lol: . I would question their sanity though
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Jumper acting even more disgracefully than usual, I see. Pathetic attack.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Conspicuous wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:38 pm
Mullet 2 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:32 pm I wouldn’t question the commitment of anybody who goes to the beach in November
Ah it was a lovely day yesterday.
Leinster in London

Post by Leinster in London »

Duff Paddy wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:37 pm

He went where
Sandycove
Last edited by Leinster in London on Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Fair play I wish I went for a swim in the 40ft instead of watching that shite yesterday
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

CM11 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:42 pm
You had your Bermuda’s on and headed for the water yeah
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Duff Paddy wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:47 pm
Oh absolutely. :nod:

Anyway, plenty swim year round in the sea and yesterday was a nice day for it.
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

Was it yeah ? I don’t think I stepped outside the front door during daylight . Up and down to the attic all day getting the decorations down and putting up the tree 🌲 :|
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Conspicuous wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:55 pm
Was it yeah ? I don’t think I stepped outside the front door during daylight . Up and down to the attic all day getting the decorations down and putting up the tree 🌲 :|
Lovely fresh day.

Have the tree still ahead of me. x(
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

CM11 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:53 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:47 pm
Oh absolutely. :nod:

Anyway, plenty swim year round in the sea and yesterday was a nice day for it.
Yep they are known as Dry Robe Wankers
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

I personally think Sexton is too old and has been for a while.
He gets rattled/exposed against teams higher than Wales' level and in the past year he's even started to look shakey against them.
That there isn't a ready made back up doesn't change that fact.
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

Floppykid wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:13 pm I personally think Sexton is too old and has been for a while.
He gets rattled/exposed against teams higher than Wales' level and in the past year he's even started to look shakey against them.
Spot on.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

I also don't believe too much has been learned tbh.
A bunch of never was/past it players have got a run out with a fairly toothless gameplan.

If you want to believe the coaches are being ultra cynical and using these games to rule them out and take the beatings instead of younger players, ok. I don't think it's anywhere near that sophisticated though.
rialtoblue

Post by rialtoblue »

Floppykid wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:13 pm I personally think Sexton is too old and has been for a while.
So what are the options

Flog Sexton till he's spent and we have no one behind him ready to step in

Mix and match between Sexton and his middle of the road replacements (Burns and R Byrne)

Or utilise Sexton while he can still offer something and bring one or both of the promising young lads through

Personally I'd see Sexton working with H Byrne and Healy as the most exciting option and best use of resources

Where is Carberry on his road to recovery?
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

rialtoblue wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:25 pm
So what are the options

Flog Sexton till he's spent and we have no one behind him ready to step in

Mix and match between Sexton and his middle of the road replacements (Burns and R Byrne)

Or utilise Sexton while he can still offer something and bring one or both of the promising young lads through

Personally I'd see Sexton working with H Byrne and Healy as the most exciting option and best use of resources

Where is Carberry on his road to recovery?
I'd remove Ross Byrne from that middle of the road bit, Burns is someway out in front.

I'd happily have Sexton there and Healy/Harry Byrne on the bench and getting starts that Byrne and Burns have had this autumn, but that's unfortunately not how Irish rugby works.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Oh yeah, third option was definitely the right one in hindsight.
But not even giving R.Byrne a chance would be incredibly harsh, then again, it's pretty clear he's never really been up to a level higher than HEC and pro rugby is cruel.

My worry is that opportunity is gone, that Sexton will continue to diminish only more rapidly.

Carbery I've almost given up on such is his injury record.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Perfectly good out half kicking his heels at London Irish for sending a couple of texts.
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

Mullet 2 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:44 pm Perfectly good out half kicking his heels at London Irish for sending a couple of texts.
Most annoying thing is he didn't even send any offensive texts, just happened to be in a group where someone else did.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Get the Prod igal son home from LI and fu.ck the twitterati
LI boss stood up to their gurning and it was forgotten about in a week.
The IRFU and Ulster should have had the stones to do it the first time around
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Murray
Jackson
Stockdale
Frawley
Ringrose
Larmour
Keenan

Wouldn't mind a look at that
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Jackson isn't coming back.

We gotta hope H Byrne or Healy can take their game up the levels.
Cullen needs to just go with H Byrne and same with Healy and JVG.
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

At this stage Sexton is doing what is commonly referred to as “Doing a ROG”

Anybody expecting him to take Harry under his wing and mentor him into taking the Leinster/Ireland 10 shirt off him is deluded. He’s obnoxiously competitive, which has brought fab days both in blue/green but the other side of the same coin is a negative.
Ulsters Red Hand

Post by Ulsters Red Hand »

Mullet 2 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:48 pm Murray
Jackson
Stockdale
Frawley
Ringrose
Larmour
Keenan

You racist
DeDoc

Post by DeDoc »

Flametop wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:52 pm At this stage Sexton is doing what is commonly referred to as “Doing a ROG”

Anybody expecting him to take Harry under his wing and mentor him into taking the Leinster/Ireland 10 shirt off him is deluded. He’s obnoxiously competitive, which has brought fab days both in blue/green but the other side of the same coin is a negative.
I get where you're coming from, but it was pretty clear to most of us by 2010 (2011 at the very latest) that Sexton was significantly better. It was clear even in 2009 that Sexton had a lot more about him in attack and as a defender - the (perfectly reasonable) questions were could he exert the control on a game that ROG was brillaint at, and about whether his goal-kicking was good enough.

If Jackson wasn't persona non-grata, or Carbery had remained fit, then we'd probably have a like for like comparison. Sad fact though is that Sexton appears, even in average form, to be our best current option.

But to your point about his competitive streak - yep, it is going to be a very difficult conversation and I can't see him accepting that anyone is better than him. Thats his nature, and what has made him so good. I think someone with Schmidts status might get away with telling him (not that Sexton wouldn't argue), but I could see a Saipan type moment if Farrell gives him his notice :lol:
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:04 pm
Mullet 2 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:48 pm Murray
Jackson
Stockdale
Frawley
Ringrose
Larmour
Keenan

You racist
What are you on? I have seen loads of photos of Paddy and he is black as the ace of spades in them
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/sta ... 0408022017
So with a few big names soon to be out of contract, who do you think we'll lose?
Some names up for renewal are:

Stander
POM
Healy
Henderson
Furlong
Sexton
Earls
Last edited by feckwanker on Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Very Popular

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

feckwanker wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:50 pm https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/sta ... 0408022017
So with a few big names soon to be out of contract, who do you think we'll lose?
Some names up for renewal are:

Stander
PM
Healy
Henderson
Furlong
Sexton
Earls
Earls and Sexton won't get a sniff of a central contract, Healy might get another year.
PM? If you mean PoM, wouldn't be surprised to see him ship off to check out the garden centres around La Rochelle.