Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Hellraiser »

Massey Ferguson wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:41 pm Full match up already:
https://youtu.be/KbW9troCpMI
:thumbup:
Premier Red

Post by Premier Red »

Munster-fogs wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:05 pm What a monumental result. One of the all time great victories for us. Conceding a try after 26 seconds, 28 points conceded by 23 minutes...just incredible. Few academy lads playing too which traditionally isn't the case in the HEC. How many times have Clermont lost at home in Europe? Lump in my throat at full time! :proud:

Still unbeaten this season!
Prime example, was great to see F Wycherley coming in for kleyn ahead of holland, last few years that wouldn't happen.... he's finally giving the young lads their chance....and wat a display from young Josh today!
Bogbunny

Post by Bogbunny »

Flip me. Saie are a one man team (Faf )
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

Just watched the re-run on youtube.

That ref had one of the best games I've seen from a ref, ever. Hats off.
de_Selby

Post by de_Selby »

Munster-fogs wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:05 pm What a monumental result. One of the all time great victories for us. Conceding a try after 26 seconds, 28 points conceded by 23 minutes...just incredible. Few academy lads playing too which traditionally isn't the case in the HEC. How many times have Clermont lost at home in Europe? Lump in my throat at full time! :proud:

I was an incredible game, a Munster Heineken Cup match from the good old days.
The annoying thing for Munster is that with all the 28-0 covid victories and only the top 4 going through there's a very real chance they won't make it.
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

EverReady wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:07 pm I'm about to watch it. I am going to turn it off when Munster are still behind
What I liked about it - and it's bizarre given how completely out of control we were in the opening 20-25 mins; but from there on in, we had it. Control.

You'd have to wonder how it might have turned out in the usual Clermont hothouse of a stadium, with the crowd going ape. But that's a bit churlish. Hell of a win.
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

de_Selby wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:12 pm

I was an incredible game, a Munster Heineken Cup match from the good old days.
The annoying thing for Munster is that with all the 28-0 covid victories and only the top 4 going through there's a very real chance they won't make it.
Yup. Especially with no game 5 pointers being handed out. Fair dues to those who've earned their BP wins. But if you're not getting them, you're struggling. This year's tournament is properly asterixed.
franch fan

Post by franch fan »

redderneck wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:15 pm
EverReady wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:07 pm I'm about to watch it. I am going to turn it off when Munster are still behind
What I liked about it - and it's bizarre given how completely out of control we were in the opening 20-25 mins; but from there on in, we had it. Control.

You'd have to wonder how it might have turned out in the usual Clermont hothouse of a stadium, with the crowd going ape. But that's a bit churlish. Hell of a win.
Or if Clermont had their starting pack (their second row and most of their backrowers were second if not third string players at their positions -yato is usually a backrower)
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

franch fan wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:18 pm

Or if Clermont had their starting pack (their second row and most of their backrowers were second if not third string players at their positions -yato is usually a backrower)
No. Not buying that shite. We had that excuse in our arse pocket too but we didn't need to play it; so off you can feck.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Fair fvcks Munster that was some comeback
Didn’t see that coming 15 minutes in
franch fan

Post by franch fan »

redderneck wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:20 pm

No. Not buying that shite. We had that excuse in our arse pocket too but we didn't need to play it; so off you can feck.
It's not an excuse, only a fact that Clermont were missing many of their first choices forwards.
Munster deserved to win, no complains
lemonhead

Post by lemonhead »

Looked like a team problem there FF. Add some starters in, momentum's better early doors.

But it wasn't lack of grunt after 50, they literally couldn't string two phases together. Heads were gone.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

And that's the difference between Munster and Ulster.

Very well done Munster, and those Ulster players need to take a good hard look at themselves.
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

Well done Munster.

Ulster are out now, so at least we wont have fixture congestion I guess.

Pile of shit.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Munster will get a lot of warmth from their fans after that.

It was like something from the Stringer, ROG, POC,Axel era except one important thing:

Munster won today in Clermont.

That great team 14 years ago made great comebacks but never beat Clermont over there.

I want Munster back at the top again and I want our rivalry with them back to what it used to be. I want to dread them again.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

As for Ulster.

Eric O Sullivan lost that game. All he had to do was not collapse that scrum and the game was won. Awful
quarter2four

Post by quarter2four »

redderneck wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:20 pm

:lol: Someone is hitting the cheap slabs of Guinness.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

EverReady wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:15 am Got a chance to watch the two other matches this evening and Munster :thumbup: Leinster Meh hmmmmmm. Leinster are becoming the Ireland of Ireland provinces. Munster are Larkhamtastic. They were utterly in control from 20 something on and chipped away like pro's. I wasn't entirely sure about some of the decision making in the last 5 but sure there you go.
It was one match, chill out. The backline was also a mess with all the changes.
Leinster play a pretty good brand of rugby normally.

Just watched the Leinster match, delighted for JJ. He had a fantastic match winning performance.
One missed touch was bad for the peno, but the other was just brilliant play from Penaud.

Stander was very good but JJ was my motm.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Leinster didn't play well but still won with the bonus point, I'll take that any day.

Ulster were in possession in the Gloucester half with a minute to go, with madigan dropping back to kick the ball out, and they hadn't the wit to shove the ball up the jumper for a last phase. That's what lost them the match. The top two inches.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

EverReady wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:45 am
Floppykid wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:17 am
EverReady wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:15 am Got a chance to watch the two other matches this evening and Munster :thumbup: Leinster Meh hmmmmmm. Leinster are becoming the Ireland of Ireland provinces. Munster are Larkhamtastic. They were utterly in control from 20 something on and chipped away like pro's. I wasn't entirely sure about some of the decision making in the last 5 but sure there you go.
It was one match, chill out. The backline was also a mess with all the changes.
Leinster play a pretty good brand of rugby normally.

Just watched the Leinster match, delighted for JJ. He had a fantastic match winning performance.
One missed touch was bad for the peno, but the other was just brilliant play from Penaud.

Stander was very good but JJ was my motm.
I am chilled out. We are the good side of ordinary
Nah, still one of the best teams in Europe.
Think we'd beat most tbh.
MrJonno

Post by MrJonno »

Thanks. It was 01.00 at half time here and having watched the Ulster match I couldn't put myself through another defeat. Just watched it now and I realise what happened. Munster won by accident through their own stupidity and naivety. For some reason the poor deluded fools thought there was some benefit in taking penalties and not panicking. How can you turn your nose up at a lineout and dropping the ball in the ensuing maul for a mere 3 points. I just hope this idea that points are better than nearly scoring tries doesn't filter back to the national team.
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

camroc1 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:36 am Leinster didn't play well but still won with the bonus point, I'll take that any day.

Ulster were in possession in the Gloucester half with a minute to go, with madigan dropping back to kick the ball out, and they hadn't the wit to shove the ball up the jumper for a last phase. That's what lost them the match. The top two inches.
I missed the game (in hindsight it sounds like I made the right call) but Ulster have consistently lacked the top two inches over the years.
I said last week that you can't expect to win big games against the likes of Toulouse with David O'Connor and Greg Jones involved in the matchday squad. I would've expected a win against Glaws despite this but apparently not . . .
The great big white hope McCann mustn't be all that if he's not forcing his way onto the subs bench for these games when his competition is Jordi Murphy who has been average for a while now (he may have had a stormer yesterday, I don't know, but I'd be surprised), Nick Timmoney (who is never going to be a top quality player above Pro14 level), and Greg Jones.
Adetroy

Post by Adetroy »

MrJonno wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:48 am
Thanks. It was 01.00 at half time here and having watched the Ulster match I couldn't put myself through another defeat. Just watched it now and I realise what happened. Munster won by accident through their own stupidity and naivety. For some reason the poor deluded fools thought there was some benefit in taking penalties and not panicking. How can you turn your nose up at a lineout and dropping the ball in the ensuing maul for a mere 3 points. I just hope this idea that points are better than nearly scoring tries doesn't filter back to the national team.
Absolutely shocking to see an Irish team playing with common sense. Of course the irony is, Munster’s maul looks like a weapon unlike the pile of shite which is the current state of the Irish maul.
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

MrJonno wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:48 am
One of the most pleasing aspects of the game was the stubborn (dare say, old school) nature of the taking points when offered, even when peering out over the top of a hole , which tbf to Claremont, was not entirely of our own making. Chip away and explore. Then later in the game the edge to go for the line outs. Smart tactical choices under pressure, which is something we’ve been waiting to see for a fair while.

Got to make sure it’s not a flash in the pan now.

If I was a Clermont fan I think I’d not have a hair left in my head. French Fan was right yesterday in the sense that they felt their injury losses much more than we did. That’s cup rugby though.

Not getting five points last week, or missing the top yesterday will likely hurt.
Last edited by redderneck on Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Munster-fogs

Post by Munster-fogs »

Watching it again now. Axel would have been proud.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

redderneck wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:01 pm Just watched the re-run on youtube.

Said it last week after the match at Ravenhill
Said it this week 5 minutes in
I really like that ref, he looks like he is enjoying it and he communicates so well with the players
He doesn’t seem to get any test matches but that can only be a matter of time
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

EverReady wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:29 am He reminds me of Barnes. I'm not convinced that's a good thing
Yeah but you just hate the English don’t forget ;)
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

Winnie wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:27 am

I really like that ref, he looks like he is enjoying it and he communicates so well with the players
His ticking off of POM was amusing.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Winnie wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:32 am
EverReady wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:29 am He reminds me of Barnes. I'm not convinced that's a good thing
Who doesn’t?
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

danny_fitz wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:08 am
Winnie wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:27 am

His ticking off of POM was amusing.
It was. POM handled him well enough though. Thinking about it - if you were French, I’d say the chirpy smiley chatty ref with an English accent must be a fair old red rag all the same!
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

EverReady wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:46 am
Winnie wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:32 am
It's that accent bluuuurghh. Truthfully he is pretty good. Needs to curb a few of his excesses but tbf I think he is a massive nerd so won't be able to
I spent the first 20 minutes of the game switching between apoplexy at what I was watching and what I was hearing whenever Brendan Mocken opened his gob. A bag of SoCoDo marbles swinging off his tonsils, the git.
nardol

Post by nardol »

It's harsh to dump on BM the way some are.

It was a soulless occasion and I think the lads were commentating from their bedrooms or some such.

The lack of atmosphere was striking when munster delivered a match straight out of 2005 miracle match playbook.
Even Eddie Butler who is the best in the business struggled.
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

Great comeback from Munster.

How did Clermont let that slip away though? They just stopped playing.
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

anonymous_joe wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:35 pm Great comeback from Munster.

How did Clermont let that slip away though? They just stopped playing.
On second watch it's pretty clear they did not actually. Not until the last 15 at any rate, when their heads melted. It was just that from about 25 mins on or so, Munster got to grips with it. 55 minutes of controlled rugby followed. The opening 25 was Clermont playing well, but us playing like we were still sitting on our arses in the changing rooms, scrounging tape, lacing boots, filing studs and trying not to get deep heat on our nads.

Our kick-off/restart receptions were like watching Kato ambushing Inspector Clouseau. Genuinely, comically bad. Clermont executed really well, but we were on our knees, nape of the neck exposed, handing them sharpened axes shite.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Some win for Munster. Hopefully bodes well for Ireland but won't hold my breath.
DOB

Post by DOB »

EverReady wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:15 pm The accent is one thing but he needs to work on his delivery big time. Anyway I was talking to a mate who was in the RDS yesterday and he says we are being very harsh and the conditions were mank
Is your mate a horse?
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

danthefan wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:20 pm Some win for Munster. Hopefully bodes well for Ireland but won't hold my breath.
I'm not even certain it bodes well for Munster tbh ;) Need to see a few more like that. Need to see us doing it against a big name who are (near) fully-loaded up front especially.
Mr. Very Popular

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

Was very impressed with Josh Whycherly, after he got turned into a human vowel he had a very strong game.
Mr. Very Popular

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

YOYO wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:09 pm
Mr. Very Popular wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:00 pm Was very impressed with Josh Whycherly, after he got turned into a human vowel he had a very strong game.
Turned into the letter C. Not a vowel I know. Saw a clip of it. Will post it up.
Looked like an upside U, to me.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

So we're all agreed, it's Munster's title to lose this season.