Chat Forum
It is currently Mon May 25, 2020 5:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 422705 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7495, 7496, 7497, 7498, 7499, 7500, 7501 ... 10568  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:35 am 

From listening to it on talk sport Hendy had another big game. Shane Williams loved his pass for the second Nowell try.

Really disappointed that his performances are ultimately not going to be rewarded. A nervous first half versus the provincial barbarians aside he's been monstrous. Really hope he plays like this for Ulster and Ireland consistently next year.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:36 am 

The other island seems to think Henshaw is pants. Looked very solid to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:36 am 

Liathroidigloine wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
Missed match, which Irish played well?

Payne and Best were very good from what I saw.

Both decent and Payne led the way in showing what a support line looks like but Best had his usual lineout mini meltdown and Payne just isn't a top level attacking centre.

Henshaw was a beast in defence but very, very average in attack.

Stander was good without being spectacular.

Hendo was definitely best of the Irish and one of the best Lions players, if not best.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:37 am 

Flametop wrote:

This was his best game, for sure. He hasn't been at his best prior to this.

Liathroidigloine wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

Chiefs can't have been up to much, Nowell looked like a world beater.

Flametop wrote:

Missed much of the first 30 but after that was pretty decent really. Not off the wall good but you would be happy enough

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:38 am 

All of the back three did very well. Williams was his usual attacking self from FB and Nowell and Daly worked very well on the wings.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:39 am 

earl the beaver wrote:
From listening to it on talk sport Hendy had another big game. Shane Williams loved his pass for the second Nowell try.

Really disappointed that his performances are ultimately not going to be rewarded. A nervous first half versus the provincial barbarians aside he's been monstrous. Really hope he plays like this for Ulster and Ireland consistently next year.

He may well play in a test yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:39 am 

Nolanator wrote:
All of the back three did very well. Williams was his usual attacking self from FB and Nowell and Daly worked very well on the wings.

They looked far better than the likely starting back 3.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:41 am 

earl the beaver wrote:

He is getting better and better each match. Even that first half against the Barbarians was mainly just about two mistakes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:41 am 

It may just be familiarity but I thought today's side looked more relaxed and played better as a team. I'm thinking that the pressure of potentially getting a test spot might have affected previous performances but with their fate clear they just went out to play and give it their all.

Gatland even managed to half save his reputation by not bringing on any of the injury cover other than Dell which was enforced.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:44 am 

Hopefully Hendo can keep up this level of performance past this tour and into the next few seasons. That could transform the ability of Ireland and Ulster to dominate teams up front.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:45 am 

If Henderson played well he's a great bench option at the least.

Was he taken off or did he play the 80? If it's the latter I doubt he'll be involved.

EverReady wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

They all played pretty well. I thought Hendo was our best player.

Didn't carry as much. He has rucked a lot better than he does in green. Lineout went well (I presume he was calling it) and he showed up well in both of Nowells try's with a clearout and a lovely pass for the second. Sky have a hard on for Lawes (who has been decent) so he barely gets a mention. Down for 12 tackles too

It's funny amongst all the bitching about support play that we have seen and in the commentary not one mention of Paynes support lines which make the break for nowell as well. None of these lads will threaten the first test team. Dan Cole went well too

earl the beaver wrote:

Michael Corcoran thought Daly, Lawes, Haskell and Stander (surprise, surprise) were great. He flipping hates Laidlaw.

In fairness to Faltland, second row is one area where all players will do a damn fine job. Except Cory Haim. Someone had to miss out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:47 am 

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:
Can't see him starting this one. He's one of the five players in the back two rows that deserve to be there on form. But most likely of the five to lose out to warburton and AWJ

Don't know, Sky started the hype machine earlier on so there's a good chance of it.

Not really a barometer of anything IMO.

My guess would be Moriarty, Warburton Faletau with SOB or POM on the bench.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:48 am 

danthefan wrote:

Was he taken off or did he play the 80? If it's the latter I doubt he'll be involved.

Stayed on. As did Lawes apart from a brief bit of treatment. No chance either are involved.

Payne went off but Daly came back on so I presume that was technically a blood replacement?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:49 am 

Armchair_Superstar wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

Toner and Leavy both had blinders.

:lol:

Hendo is very unlucky, they’re just stacked in the row.

Poor Lawes might be the best player on tour and he’ll be catching splinters too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:50 am 

paddyor wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:
Can't see him starting this one. He's one of the five players in the back two rows that deserve to be there on form. But most likely of the five to lose out to warburton and AWJ

Don't know, Sky started the hype machine earlier on so there's a good chance of it.

Not really a barometer of anything IMO.

My guess would be Moriarty, Warburton Faletau with SOB or POM on the bench.

Some come back for Moriarty.

CM11 wrote:
Payne went off but Daly came back on so I presume that was technically a blood replacement?

Payne was shown heading down the tunnel rather than to the bench, so either blood replacement or HIA.

Isn't Moriarty done?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:52 am 

Nolanator wrote:
Isn't Moriarty done?

yup.

Nolanator wrote:
CM11 wrote:

Payne was shown heading down the tunnel rather than to the bench, so either blood replacement or HIA.

Can you bring a player already subbed back on for a HIA? Doesn't make sense that you can (outside the front row) unless you've run out of subs.

CM11 wrote:
It may just be familiarity but I thought today's side looked more relaxed and played better as a team. I'm thinking that the pressure of potentially getting a test spot might have affected previous performances but with their fate clear they just went out to play and give it their all.

It helps that it was a very weak Chiefs team.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:53 am 

CM11 wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
CM11 wrote:

Can you bring a player already subbed back on for a HIA? Doesn't make sense that you can (outside the front row) unless you've run out of subs.

Blood so. He was definitely getting treatment as opposed to just being subbed off.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:55 am 

Flametop wrote:

Had a poor kick out on the full. Didn't do much that I saw although I only caught the 1st half.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:56 am 

TheBouncer wrote:
Armchair_Superstar wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

Toner and Leavy both had blinders.

:lol:

Hendo is very unlucky, they’re just stacked in the row.

Poor Lawes might be the best player on tour and he’ll be catching splinters too.

Yeah Hendo was great again. Holding players up, ripping ball, carried and rucked well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:57 am 

danthefan wrote:

Both locks played the entire game, bar the 6 minutes in took to retreive Lawes when he was away with the fairies.
AWJ covered those minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:59 am 

CM11 wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
CM11 wrote:

You can, as long as the player was marked as a "tactical" substitution, if an injury enforced one then no they cannot.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:59 am 

Rumham wrote:
CM11 wrote:

It helps that it was a very weak Chiefs team.

I assumed so. Don't know the super sides very well. Weakest opposition outside the Barbarians to date? How would the lineups compare to the other midweek sides?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:00 am 

earl the beaver wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
CM11 wrote:

You can, as long as the player was marked as a "tactical" substitution, if an injury enforced one then no they cannot.

That's with France did with Slimani in the 6N wasn't it? The game with all the scrums?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:00 am 

Have only dipped in and out, missed that about Moriarty. Who was called up to replace him? Haskell was for Vunipola I thought.

Still can't see Gatland backing the guy he picked as tour captain.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:01 am 

earl the beaver wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
CM11 wrote:

That doesn't make sense. Unless the player has to go off if the HIA is failed. Why wouldn't you be forced to use another player on the bench for a substitution that's possibly permanent?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:02 am 

paddyor wrote:
Have only dipped in and out, missed that about Moriarty. Who was called up to replace him?

Nobody.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:04 am 

Hendo had a superb game. Hopefully this really can be the making of him as a lock. He's been brilliant in last few outings, as has Lawes to be fair - but christ he looks like he has a concussion.

Good to see Nowell go well, for himself as had a tough time of it.

Henshaw was his usual agressive self in defence but jesus he looks limited in attack. The kick out on full needed a left footed kick and twice he killed moves with drifting. Wasn't chronic or anything.

Bar the two poor throws Best was outstanding too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:05 am 

Feel a bit for Hendo. You'd be forgiven for thinking they only brought 4 locks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:05 am 

Ok, law is pretty clear on HIA replacements. An interesting quirk.

I also noticed that if a player is injured as a result of foul play, you can bring on a previously substituted player.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:07 am 

So Irish contingent split:

Test squad
McGrath
Furlong
POM
SOB
Murray
Sexton

Dirt trackers
Best
Stander
Henshaw
Payne
Henderson

I reckon Henderson and possibly Payne have a chance of moving up.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:07 am 

Henshaw really shouldn't be a 12, the ball dies with him far too often.
Stick him further out at 13 and he might be more effective.

Rory was excellent apart from his usual shite throwing. Such a shame that he'll be remembered for the latter in a Lions shirt.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:09 am 

DOB wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
danthefan wrote:
Just tell me what he did well lads. I could obviously be wrong. Should be easy enough.

http://threeredkings.com/the-gif-room-s ... he-unseen/

Read this - of course it is biased - but he's being consistently picked by loads of coaches cause he is useless - sure.

He lays it on a bit there. The clearout gif could easily have been a penalty against POM, for no bind at the ruck, shoulders below hips, going off his feet; yes any of those calls would have been harsh, but the way refs have been treating the Lions on this tour, would anyone have been surprised?

Even at that, showing one cleanout, for a 6, immediately off an 8-pick at a scrum, is not going to convince anyone of the guy's workrate. It's bread and butter work. If he hadnt made that cleanout, there'd be severe "does he even belong on this tour" questions to ask.

And then he shows POM lifting in the lineout. And a lot of the lads praising the guy now laughed when it was suggested that Toner offers a lot as a lifter. And the defensive lineout he shows, the Lions didn't even get a jumper up in direct contest to the MABs pod, and it was only a shocking throw that led to the turnover.

When we take a pop at Toner or whoever else for not playing well - we inevitably get " well Joe thinks he's good enough, what do you know"

Bar this 6N - POM has always been a first choice for Schmidt
He's been picked to go on Lions and is favourite to be captain for first test

He's down to captain the Lions and you lads can't but have a pop off him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 422705 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7495, 7496, 7497, 7498, 7499, 7500, 7501 ... 10568  Next