Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 420429 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7496, 7497, 7498, 7499, 7500, 7501, 7502 ... 10511  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:10 am 

Liathroidigloine wrote:
So Irish contingent split:

Test squad
McGrath
Furlong
POM
SOB
Murray
Sexton

Dirt trackers
Best
Stander
Henshaw
Payne
Henderson

I reckon Henderson and possibly Payne have a chance of moving up.

Don't think Payne as - Joseph ahead a 13 and probably Watson as 15. If there was an injury to Faletau - CJ steps in. Not sure Payne does if Halfpenney or Davies go down.

Nice from CJ here - is it legal??

https://twitter.com/patmccarry/status/8 ... 0298079233

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:13 am 

Banana Man wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:
So Irish contingent split:

Test squad
McGrath
Furlong
POM
SOB
Murray
Sexton

Dirt trackers
Best
Stander
Henshaw
Payne
Henderson

I reckon Henderson and possibly Payne have a chance of moving up.

Don't think Payne as - Joseph ahead a 13 and probably Watson as 15. If there was an injury to Faletau - CJ steps in. Not sure Payne does if Halfpenney or Davies go down.

Nice from CJ here - is it legal??

https://twitter.com/patmccarry/status/8 ... 0298079233

I think the short answer is no

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:18 am 

Banana Man wrote:
Hendo had a superb game. Hopefully this really can be the making of him as a lock. He's been brilliant in last few outings, as has Lawes to be fair - but christ he looks like he has a concussion.

Good to see Nowell go well, for himself as had a tough time of it.

Henshaw was his usual agressive self in defence but jesus he looks limited in attack. The kick out on full needed a left footed kick and twice he killed moves with drifting. Wasn't chronic or anything.

Bar the two poor throws Best was outstanding too.

That's just his usual face. I don't know how they carry out HIAs with him, it doesn't look like there'd be any difference between his baseline and concussed scores.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:18 am 

CM11 wrote:
Rumham wrote:
CM11 wrote:
It may just be familiarity but I thought today's side looked more relaxed and played better as a team. I'm thinking that the pressure of potentially getting a test spot might have affected previous performances but with their fate clear they just went out to play and give it their all.

It helps that it was a very weak Chiefs team.

I assumed so. Don't know the super sides very well. Weakest opposition outside the Barbarians to date? How would the lineups compare to the other midweek sides?

They are getting weaker closer to the tests as they are shorn of their ABs. The Chiefs then were even weaker as they had none of the Maori's starting either. I should have twigged this a lot earlier and and pumped money on the Lions.

The Canes will be meh next week too without Barrett, Coles, Perenara etc...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:21 am 

Rumham wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Rumham wrote:
CM11 wrote:
It may just be familiarity but I thought today's side looked more relaxed and played better as a team. I'm thinking that the pressure of potentially getting a test spot might have affected previous performances but with their fate clear they just went out to play and give it their all.

I assumed so. Don't know the super sides very well. Weakest opposition outside the Barbarians to date? How would the lineups compare to the other midweek sides?

They are getting weaker closer to the tests as they are shorn of their ABs. The Chiefs then were even weaker as they had none of the Maori's starting either. I should have twigged this a lot earlier and and pumped money on the Lions.

Canes have a much stronger "non AB" team.

Coles has barely played this year - bar Ardie Savea and Coles their pack will be full

Otore Black will be 12
Their centres will be same (Aso and Laumape) - Goosen and Jane on wings.

Much much stronger side.

Nolanator wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
Hendo had a superb game. Hopefully this really can be the making of him as a lock. He's been brilliant in last few outings, as has Lawes to be fair - but christ he looks like he has a concussion.

Henshaw was his usual agressive self in defence but jesus he looks limited in attack. The kick out on full needed a left footed kick and twice he killed moves with drifting. Wasn't chronic or anything.

That's just his usual face. I don't know how they carry out HIAs with him, it doesn't look like there'd be any difference between his baseline and concussed scores.

:lol:

He does have that look about him

Can someone make a gif of that Rory Best tackle on the lad who took the quick lineout?
Poor plum must have regretted that decision :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:27 am 

Jim Lahey wrote:
Can someone make a gif of that Rory Best tackle on the lad who took the quick lineout?
Poor plum must have regretted that decision :lol:

:o

https://twitter.com/kennsysmith/status/ ... 8695089154

Holy shit, the head bounce on the poor fucker from the reverse angle. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:28 am 

Banana Man wrote:

Toners fault?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:28 am 

Jim Lahey wrote:
Henshaw really shouldn't be a 12, the ball dies with him far too often.
Stick him further out at 13 and he might be more effective.

Rory was excellent apart from his usual shite throwing. Such a shame that he'll be remembered for the latter in a Lions shirt.

I think it's too easy when a player has played across the backline to just say he's in the wrong position when he's under-performing. A more settled 3/4 line would get more out of him as he's shown for Leinster and Ireland. He's got most of the skills you would want for a 12. A deadly ball carrier, with good feet and can offload; aggressive defender. Decent boot. Can still be used in the air up the middle. Draws players on decoy runs. His passing could be better but that can be minimised with the correct gameplan. And it would still be an issue at 13. He doesn't have the pace or guile for outside centre at the highest level I don't think. And it's been an awful long time since he's played full back, not to mention a waste of his physicality. I have to say I was very sceptical of his move to IC but looking at how Leinster have played this season in particular - scoring as many tries as they did - I'm converted.

Last edited by hermie on Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:30 am 

unfortunately I don't see henshaw ever becoming a world class centre. he doesn't exceptional speed, step, power or hands

he'll be a very good centre for many years to come but he doesn't have any outstanding attributes other than workrate. we could do a lot worse mind, but he wont be the next great centre we hoped he'd be after BODs endorsement. that'll be ringrose

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:33 am 

Banana Man wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

An English lad who used to post here had a mate who coached him at underage who said Lawes would have trouble pouring water out of a shoe even if the instructions were on the sole.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:34 am 

Hellraiser wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

An English lad who used to post here had a mate who coached him at underage who said Lawes would have trouble pouring water out of a shoe even if the instructions were on the sole.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:35 am 

Banana Man wrote:
Rumham wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Rumham wrote:
CM11 wrote:

Coles has barely played this year - bar Ardie Savea and Coles their pack will be full

Otore Black will be 12

Much much stronger side.

The Chiefs would be just as strong with their Maori guys. The Canes have 5 players in the ABs squad from their backline who won't play surely.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:37 am 

hermie wrote:
Jim Lahey wrote:

Rory was excellent apart from his usual shite throwing. Such a shame that he'll be remembered for the latter in a Lions shirt.

I think it's too easy when a player has played across the backline to just say he's in the wrong position when he's under-performing. A more settled 3/4 line would get more out of him as he's shown for Leinster and Ireland. He's got most of the skills you would want for a 12. A deadly ball carrier, with good feet and can offload; aggressive defender. Decent boot. Can still be used in the air up the middle. Draws players on decoy runs. His passing could be better but that can be minimised with the correct gameplan. And it would still be an issue at 13. He doesn't have the pace or guile for outside centre at the highest level I don't think. And it's been an awful long time since he's played full back, not to mention a waste of his physicality. I have to say I was very sceptical of his move to IC but looking at how Leinster have played this season in particular - scoring as many tries as they did - I'm converted.

Is he a deadly carrier though in the tight? He makes the gainline but you don't see him busting through all that often, wasted as just a bosh merchant imo.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:37 am 

paddyor wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

Toners fault?

You are beyond tedious.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:38 am 

I chuckled.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:40 am 

Rumham wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
Rumham wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Rumham wrote:

Otore Black will be 12

Much much stronger side.

The Chiefs would be just as strong with their Maori guys. The Canes have 5 players in the ABs squad from their backline who won't play surely.

Thats my point- Canes wont be effected with Maori game

Chiefs were missing Harris, Hames, Retallick, Cane, Leitch, Kerr-Barlow, Ngatai, Lowe, McKenzie, Linert-Brown and lost Pulu early doors.

Without Maori game they would have had Hames, Kerr-Barlow, Ngatai, Lowe, McKenzie.

Hurricanes are down Coles, Fifita, both Saveas, both Barretts and Perenara.

Canes will be much much stronger. Jordi Barrett may even be released.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:47 am 

The ball was dying with Henshaw wherever he was getting it. He's gotten it loads at 13 this tour and hasn't done much with it. Bit of a cop out blaming the number on his back. I agree he'd work well off a passer/offloader at 12 as he did with Aki and Marshall/Olding but that's as much about who's partnering him as anything else. I think he'd be just as blunt outside McCloskey.

He is close to world class defensively though (at 12, I don't think his judgement is quite there for 13) and that will get him quite far. He's still only young too, don't forget, so has plenty of time to add to his game. He's the same age as D'Arcy was when first capped at centre and D'Arcy* had a far better partner to bring him along.

*If you want to be pedantic, D'Arcy first played centre for Ireland in 2002 off the bench so a younger age but Henshaw does have 4 years at centre for Ireland already so it's a bit moot.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:56 am 

CM11 wrote:
The ball was dying with Henshaw wherever he was getting it. He's gotten it loads at 13 this tour and hasn't done much with it. Bit of a cop out blaming the number on his back. I agree he'd work well off a passer/offloader at 12 as he did with Aki and Marshall/Olding but that's as much about who's partnering him as anything else. I think he'd be just as blunt outside McCloskey.

He is close to world class defensively though (at 12, I don't think his judgement is quite there for 13) and that will get him quite far. He's still only young too, don't forget, so has plenty of time to add to his game. He's the same age as D'Arcy was when first capped at centre and D'Arcy* had a far better partner to bring him along.

*If you want to be pedantic, D'Arcy first played centre for Ireland in 2002 off the bench so a younger age but Henshaw does have 4 years at centre for Ireland already so it's a bit moot.

Yeah - all of above is right - when he's not crashing it up and taking it off phase ball, he drifts way too much. The defence has him read.

Next week v Laumape will be one for his defence - that lad is a bull.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:10 pm 

What is often missed is that Robbie is basically a product of the youth system. Yes' he played with Marists in Athlone but they are a long way from elite status. I can't think of many youth players who have played at centre for provinces let alone International. I think his skills will improve but he has not had that schools type coaching that puts hundreds of hours of practice into young players.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:16 pm 

Liathroidigloine wrote:
What is often missed is that Robbie is basically a product of the youth system. Yes' he played with Marists in Athlone but they are a long way from elite status. I can't think of many youth players who have played at centre for provinces let alone International. I think his skills will improve but he has not had that schools type coaching that puts hundreds of hours of practice into young players.

Ah he's also a pro player - was involved with top level coaching with Nigel Carolan from age 18 or even younger.
Maybe wouldn't have the exposure Ringrose would have had, but not sure I buy that though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:18 pm 

Liathroidigloine wrote:

I think the counter to that argument is Ferg McFadden.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:21 pm 

Liathroidigloine wrote:

Shane Horgan for Leinster and Ireland
Seamus Mallon for Ulster
Chris Farrell (moved to Campbell for A-Levels and schools cup but primarily a youth player) for Ulster and soon to Munster
Just a few off the top of my head.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:22 pm 

I'm a fan of Henshaw, I mean if you take away the hype he's a young guy who's played very solidly at international level for Ireland for the best part of three years

Granted his attack is looking pretty blunt. Think he needs to start varying his lines of running because he's getting a bit predictable and isn't getting as much gainline as a man of his size should.

His footballing's been letting him down a lot recently too. That kick today a case in point, a year ago that would have been stuck behind the five metre line

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:24 pm 

earl the beaver wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:

Seamus Mallon for Ulster
Chris Farrell (moved to Campbell for A-Levels and schools cup but primarily a youth player) for Ulster and soon to Munster

We all agree that Shaggy was one of our greatest wings but centre? No.

Seamus Mallon was a politician

Chris Farrell didn't make it at Ulster.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:26 pm 

Banana Man wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:

Ah he's also a pro player - was involved with top level coaching with Nigel Carolan from age 18 or even younger.
Maybe wouldn't have the exposure Ringrose would have had, but not sure I buy that though.

All the youth players get top class coaching from the provinces but its the sheer number of hours. Club lads might get 2 hours of skills work a week at most, schools lads are probably doing minimum of 6. That's a big difference over 5/6 years.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:26 pm 

Liathroidigloine wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:

Seamus Mallon for Ulster

Seamus Mallon played centre for Ulster, Ireland A (I think?) and Northampton.

Farrell was offered a contract by Ulster but chose to move on for more regular playing time and restart his career properly after all the injuries, much like Paddy McAllister. He's now heading to Munster as a pretty big name signing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:27 pm 

CM11 wrote:

In fairness, the ball has died with all the Lions' centres on this tour. Nobody is putting the winger away, at least not before today.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:29 pm 

Lads this is all a bit much, a couple of tries and Henshaw would be on the Sky hype train and everyone saying he has had a great tour. He has been picked as a route one centre and lost out pretty narrowly to T'eo.

Jordi Murphy is back running 7 1/2 months from Chicago, great to see.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:32 pm 

earl the beaver wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:

Seamus Mallon for Ulster

Farrell was offered a contract by Ulster but chose to move on for more regular playing time and restart his career properly after all the injuries, much like Paddy McAllister. He's now heading to Munster as a pretty big name signing.

Correct on Mallon. Weirdly, he was a sub teacher for a bit the last year I was in school and did a bit of coaching IIRC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:39 pm 

earl the beaver wrote:
hermie wrote:
Jim Lahey wrote:

Is he a deadly carrier though in the tight? He makes the gainline but you don't see him busting through all that often, wasted as just a bosh merchant imo.

He's no Sonny Bill, who's out on his own in terms of a big ball player who takes it to the line and makes shit happen. But he's something like a Jamie Roberts. That now much-maligned player who just happened to be one half of the best centre partnership I've ever seen (2009 Lions). People desperate to see him play somewhere else miss the point. If you have a baller like Ringrose you need to balance that with a physical edge. Then if you can have a playmaker at 15, such as Carbery (or to a lesser extent Payne/Zebo) that makes amends for a less than stellar passing game.

He does a lot of unglamorous work. You see that as him being wasted, I see it as him doing his job. It's been seriously effective for Leinster and Ireland this season.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:40 pm 

Bit more of this, and Henshaw will be fine.

Poor pass I know.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:44 pm 

Yeah that was a serious break. Jesus France were so poor against SA btw.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:44 pm 

SASP wrote:

Bit more of this, and Henshaw will be fine.

Poor pass I know.

Great feet. Another (can't bother looking for it) would be Aki's try against Munster where he takes the ball on at 12 and gets a superb offload away. He's got great skills with the exception of passing (and I include draw and pass in that).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:45 pm 

Remember when the NZ fans were talking about scrums?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:48 pm 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:

Seamus Mallon for Ulster

Correct on Mallon. Weirdly, he was a sub teacher for a bit the last year I was in school and did a bit of coaching IIRC

God you must be young.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:56 pm 

CM11 wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
Missed match, which Irish played well?

Payne and Best were very good from what I saw.

Both decent and Payne led the way in showing what a support line looks like but Best had his usual lineout mini meltdown and Payne just isn't a top level attacking centre.

Henshaw was a beast in defence but very, very average in attack.

Stander was good without being spectacular.

Hendo was definitely best of the Irish and one of the best Lions players, if not best.

To the Sky Sports commentary and analysis teams, Hendo is invisible.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:58 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Payne went off but Daly came back on so I presume that was technically a blood replacement?

Payne was shown heading down the tunnel rather than to the bench, so either blood replacement or HIA.

HIA I saw him getting his head in the wrong place in a tackle with about 5 mins to go.
Was back on for the handshakes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:00 pm 

Hey Bitches

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 420429 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7496, 7497, 7498, 7499, 7500, 7501, 7502 ... 10511  Next