Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 424024 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9822, 9823, 9824, 9825, 9826, 9827, 9828 ... 10601  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:35 pm 

At least nobody will be able to analyse us after that game.

Keeping the defensive movez under wraps :nod: :smug:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:36 pm 

CM11 wrote:
Quote:
Those set-piece issues were deeply damaging in Twickenham, while the defensive performance was a shitshow of epic proportions.

Murray properly upset!

Not sure how else he could put it tbh.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:55 pm 

Diego wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Quote:
Those set-piece issues were deeply damaging in Twickenham, while the defensive performance was a shitshow of epic proportions.

Murray properly upset!

Not sure how else he could put it tbh.

It's perfectly put but not something you expect in 'print'.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:56 pm 

What's the story with Marmion's lack of gametime?

Should be getting a start next week as Murray's an utter liability at this stage.

Marmion is proven to be good enough at this level whereas I don't think McGrath/Cooney ever will be.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:59 pm 

Also, I've been slow to come around to this as he was genuinely good in 2018, but Aki is just way too one dimensional for test level rugby and has been completely found out since the start of the year.

Imo he shouldn't even get on the plane

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:04 pm 

fishooks15 wrote:

Should be getting a start next week as Murray's an utter liability at this stage.

Marmion is proven to be good enough at this level whereas I don't think McGrath/Cooney ever will be.

First couple of games could have been about giving McGrath some time so that if he's called upon he won't be completely off the pace. Marmion to start one of the next two with Murray benching and vice versa.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:05 pm 

fishooks15 wrote:
Also, I've been slow to come around to this as he was genuinely good in 2018, but Aki is just way too one dimensional for test level rugby and has been completely found out since the start of the year.

Aki's main issue is defence, he doesn't lead the line well. I thought he'd turned a corner against the ABs but that looks like an exception rather than the rule.

We are far stronger defensively with Henshaw at 12.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:07 pm 

CM11 wrote:
Quote:

Murray properly upset!

We were honey potting around Billy V like a bunch of 6 year old girls leaving Titanic-sized holes elsewhere. And if we'd spread out more he'd have dragged our back row over the try line. He's pretty close to unplayable at times (although Wales managed it!).

I'm convinced back row is the heart of our problems. Standar and POM are hopelessly out of form, and we haven't had a remotely competitive performance from that unit since Nov 2018, and they have been bullied multiple times. VdF was terrible but has the advantage of being ahead of TOD and Jordi.

Is it just me or does Standar look f**king tiny? No idea what's going on there but he shouldn't be on the plane, certainly not ahead of Beirne or Ruddock.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:08 pm 

Uncle Fester wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Redder replace POM and Stander with players who'll compete for the ball instead of standing at 2 out looking for the fancy run, and a lot of our problems sort themselves out. Combine that with a working lineout and suddenly we're at the races again.

EDIT We beat Scotland 22 - 13 away in Murrayfield in February. We'll do it again in Japan.

Cammy, without even attempting to argue for their inclusion when I think it should be Beirne/Ruddick & Conan, you can hardly believe it is just those two specific players and the lineout, that is the cause of the worries. And POM is getting after the ball, would argue we need a little more from VDF there too. Beirne obviously puts that up significantly and Conan gives better punch.

Like they are hardly responsible for the sheer paucity of the backline defence. J1 level handling at times etc

Every player seems to be playing that little bit below and the whole thing then creaks, a lack of variation on attack is then probably hampering it more and we are sort of stuck in that trying too hard.

Now don't you be bursting cammy's mantra that individual (non-Leinster) players are to blame for everything and that dropping them will fix everything.

I firmly believe our pack will give us the win v Scotland, but like it is hardly two backrow players dragging everything else down.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:13 pm 

On form, our mid-field pecking order should be:

Farrell
Henshaw
Ringer (class is permanent, hopefully!)
Addison
Cave
Aki

With Addison and Henshaw benefitting hugely from not playing yet..

I'd bring:
Farrell
Henshaw
Ringer
+an injured Carbery

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:15 pm 

fishooks15 wrote:

Joe's lost the plot since November 2018. We're at stage now where lads like Byrne (and probably far less likely to make the plane Carty) will exclusively have played behind massacred packs against quality teams.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:16 pm 

I have to say it's great not giving a fudge anymore. It's the hope that kills you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:30 pm 

Jim Lahey wrote:
The only refreshing thing about this dire year so far is that media have finally stopped w**king themselves silly over Schmidt and are finally challenging selections/tactics.
He has a heap of credit in the bank but its been shit performance after shit performance since the NZ game last year, including two of the most disgraceful performances in recent memory v Wales and England (weekend past).
I’d love to be optimistic but he ain’t gonna change now and let the lads start offloading, which means our shit ball carriers are just going to keep getting pummelled by defences, we are on the backfoot, Murray and Sexton start cocking things up and we are out in the 1/4s, again.

Calm down love

You've forgotten he's a legend and you're some dude on the Internet again.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:31 pm 

Was VDF terrible? Top tackler with only 1 miss. No penalties, no turnovers conceded and at least one turnover won. Would have thought it was a standard game from him defensively and he wasn't really brought into it in attack.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:34 pm 

He certainly wasn’t good

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:39 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
Jim Lahey wrote:
The only refreshing thing about this dire year so far is that media have finally stopped w**king themselves silly over Schmidt and are finally challenging selections/tactics.
He has a heap of credit in the bank but its been shit performance after shit performance since the NZ game last year, including two of the most disgraceful performances in recent memory v Wales and England (weekend past).
I’d love to be optimistic but he ain’t gonna change now and let the lads start offloading, which means our shit ball carriers are just going to keep getting pummelled by defences, we are on the backfoot, Murray and Sexton start cocking things up and we are out in the 1/4s, again.

Calm down love

Sorry, lost the run of myself for a second there :blush:
Back into the Schmidt cave lads!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:40 pm 

Jim Lahey wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
Jim Lahey wrote:

Calm down love

Sorry, lost the run of myself for a second there :blush:
Back into the Schmidt cave lads!

We can't have radical ideas, no fancy offloads or two playmaker's allowed around here mate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:44 pm 

Man steadfastly defending POM and Stander calls for offloading game :lol:

Maybe I'll go 10 and we can start plating at real pace.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:45 pm 

TheBouncer wrote:
He certainly wasn’t good

I thought he was fine. I doubt he'll be high on the list of those in the firing line. He certainly wasn't 'terrible'.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:45 pm 

CM11 wrote:
fishooks15 wrote:

Aki's main issue is defence, he doesn't lead the line well. I thought he'd turned a corner against the ABs but that looks like an exception rather than the rule.

Yep, this. But when was the last time Henshaw even played 12 for Ireland?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:46 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:

Who is defending them? I certainly haven't

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:48 pm 

hermie wrote:
CM11 wrote:
fishooks15 wrote:

Yep, this. But when was the last time Henshaw even played 12 for Ireland?

Aus, 2nd test.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:50 pm 

sewa wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

And POM is (one of) the best best passer/handler in the pack. If you were calling for an offloading game, he's be one of the first forwards called for. Talking about offloading while the defense and setpiece are a disaster if a waste of time though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:55 pm 

Jumper wrote:
sewa wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

And POM is (one of) the best best passer/handler in the pack. If you were calling for an offloading game, he's be one of the first forwards called for. Talking about offloading while the defense and setpiece are a disaster if a waste of time though.

I very much doubt the defence and lineout will be that bad again in the next two games, Rory will get over the yips and someone else will probably be calling the lineout for a start. Meanwhile all the big teams in contention have an offoading game already set to go

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:50 pm 

Jim Lahey wrote:

He's got about 2 months max left in the job.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:35 pm 

Wales aren't going to put out decent teams for the remaining games are they? That has to be a bit of a worry as well imo. We need to be playing decent teams to get back to some sort of form.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:38 pm 

Whatever they put out will be competitive enough, tbf.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:39 pm 

danthefan wrote:
Wales aren't going to put out decent teams for the remaining games are they? That has to be a bit of a worry as well imo. We need to be playing decent teams to get back to some sort of form.

Funnily enough, sometimes a hit out against slightly weaker opposition gets the gears to click and a decent performance and score improves morale. Morale has to be on the floor by now.
A win against the “number one ranked team” wouldn’t hurt.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:46 pm 

RWC2015 wrote:
On form, our mid-field pecking order should be:

Farrell
Henshaw
Ringer (class is permanent, hopefully!)
Addison
Cave
Aki

With Addison and Henshaw benefitting hugely from not playing yet..

I'd bring:
Farrell
Henshaw
Ringer
+an injured Carbery

A perfect case of lads being thought to be better the less they play.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:11 pm 

G&T on Second Captains saying he's heard there's been a massive focus on fitness and very little on rugby in the RWC prep so far. What could possibly go wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:19 pm 

We are what ....2 planned games away from the RWC?

This is not like EOS where we have to go looking for Bayonne in a blind panick. We also need to peak later than England who start out in a really shit pool. We start in the easiest pool of the tournament. The quarters turn into a complete bitch for us. We need to peak close to a month later than the other teams.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:27 pm 

nardol wrote:

This is not like EOS where we have to go looking for Bayonne in a blind panick. We also need to peak later than England who start out in a really shit pool. We start in the easiest pool of the tournament. The quarters turn into a complete bitch for us. We need to peak close to a month later than the other teams.

It's almost like we heard all this shite before. I remember going to France in 2007, waiting for them to peak. Still f**king waiting

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:29 pm 

danthefan wrote:
G&T on Second Captains saying he's heard there's been a massive focus on fitness and very little on rugby in the RWC prep so far. What could possibly go wrong.

Kinsella has also mentioned a heavy workload.

It better not be EOS's lean machine thinking again.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:33 pm 

sewa wrote:
nardol wrote:

It's almost like we heard all this shite before. I remember going to France in 2007, waiting for them to peak. Still f**king waiting

Because we were out of the tournament after 3 games. That's not able to happen this time realistically.

We have much more squad depth.

We have a track record of beating SH teams.

I'm completely okay with where we are at the moment. Curious to know how much the RFU paid us for the weekends game tbh.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:48 pm 

sewa wrote:
EverReady wrote:
sewa wrote:
sewa wrote:
EverReady wrote:
Beating countries and all. Joe should be calling up Max Deegan

Best result Leinster have ever had against an international side :thumbup:

We should get Roddy Doyle to write a shite play and maybe an opera

Don't think Canada A is quiet at that level mate

Rugby was for spackers in the 70's. The Munster lad who made that Guinness ad tackle looks like Jimmy Savilles agent

We beat Oz and lost to the All Blacks by a kick in the last decade. I don't think there is a play though

Leinster are unbeaten this century against International teams :P

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:41 pm 

Felix Jones linked to Rassie's Springboks again. Would be a brilliant move for him.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:47 pm 

nardol wrote:

Our biggest pool game is first up.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:48 pm 

CM11 wrote:
danthefan wrote:

No harm in working on fitness in preparation for the heat/humidity of Japan but no emphasis on rugby is obviously dumb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:54 pm 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
CM11 wrote:
danthefan wrote:

No harm in working on fitness in preparation for the heat/humidity of Japan but no emphasis on rugby is obviously dumb

It’s like history repeating

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:56 pm 

sewa wrote:
nardol wrote:

Yep sews is right on this one. There are serious problems and it’s not down to being a few weeks further off peaking.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 424024 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9822, 9823, 9824, 9825, 9826, 9827, 9828 ... 10601  Next