Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 423997 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10140, 10141, 10142, 10143, 10144, 10145, 10146 ... 10600  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:48 pm 

Liathroidigloine wrote:
diarm wrote:
ruckinhell wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:
diarm wrote:
Munster Squad for 2020/21 if Diarm was in charge:

Props - Killer, Cronin, Loughman, Ryan, Archer with O'Connor, Scott and Wycherley as back up. Release Parker.
Hookers - Marshall, O'Byrne and Scannell.
Locks - Syman, Wycherley and Beirne with O'Connor and O'Shea as back up. Release Holloway and allow Holland retire.
If he's interested, bring Dillane home from Connacht and send them Kleyn in his place.
Back row - O'Mahony, Coombes, O'Donnell, Cloete, Hodnett, Stander, O'Sullivan and O'Donoghue with Daly as back up. Release Botha and Oliver.
Scrum Half - Murray, Casey and one of Cronin or McCarthy. Release Matthewson and the other of Cronin or McCarthy.
Out Half - Carberry, Hanrahan and Healy. Release Bleyendaal.
Centres - De Allende, Scannell, Farrell and Goggin with French as back up. Release Arnold.
Wings - Conway, Earls, Daly and Sweetnam with Coombes and Nash as back up. Release Wooton.
Full Back - Haley with Wren as back up. If he's interested, bring Zebo home from Racing.

That's a 45 man squad. 34 of them from Munster, another 5 from other provinces, 4 imports who are or will be IQ and 2 world class imports who are non-IQ.

You might want to reassess your life choices if you feel the need to painstakingly go through a post on internet forum to bold the names of non-local players in a hypothetical squad for a province you don't support.

Especially considering I'd already counted out the players who weren't Munster bred in that post!

Incorrectly.

Only if it is Cronin who leaves and not McCarthy. In this hypothetical preferred squad which will never happen.

I hope it made you feel better about yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:08 pm 

Porterbelly1 wrote:
Couldn't face this thread after Friday until now

That Leinster pack, jaysus

And our front 5 depth is non existent. SOB 2.0 dislocated shoulder . Not good

I actually feel sorry for you. So many position specific injuries. It wouldn't be so bad if you lost a few backs but to basically lose 3 of your tight 5 and their back ups is a killer. I'd be breaking the bank for Peter Dooley if I was Connacht.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:24 pm 

Winnie wrote:
feckwanker wrote:
Can someone tell me what has happened to Stockdale? Form has just dropped off a cliff recently.

He certainly looks like his confidence is shot to ribbons
We have to remember he’s still a relatively young guy and came from nowhere to be propelled as one of the great Irish wingers in the last twelve months
Hopefully he can get his confidence back
Perhaps a little break from rugby might do him some good

Could be similar to Trimble. A freakishly talented player when he arrived on the scene but a slight dip in form and cracks started to appear in his confidence. He went away, worked on his all round game and came back very strongly indeed.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:33 pm 

A dip in confidence doesn't seem right, if anything he looks overconfident at times, more sloppy than anything else.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:47 pm 

diarm wrote:

Props - Killer, Cronin, Loughman, Ryan, Archer with O'Connor, Scott and Wycherley as back up. Release Parker.
Locks - Syman, Wycherley and Beirne with O'Connor and O'Shea as back up. Release Holloway and allow Holland retire.
If he's interested, bring Dillane home from Connacht and send them Kleyn in his place.
Back row - O'Mahony, Coombes, O'Donnell, Cloete, Hodnett, Stander, O'Sullivan and O'Donoghue with Daly as back up. Release Botha and Oliver.
Scrum Half - Murray, Casey and one of Cronin or McCarthy. Release Matthewson and the other of Cronin or McCarthy.
Centres - De Allende, Scannell, Farrell and Goggin with French as back up. Release Arnold.
Wings - Conway, Earls, Daly and Sweetnam with Coombes and Nash as back up. Release Wooton.
Full Back - Haley with Wren as back up. If he's interested, bring Zebo home from Racing.

That's a 45 man squad. 34 of them from Munster, another 5 from other provinces, 4 imports who are or will be IQ and 2 world class imports who are non-IQ.

Matthewson and Holloway will both be gone soon.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:48 pm 

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
diarm wrote:

Alby is just trying to find his suitcase. Terrible when it goes missing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:49 pm 

Boxcar Ira wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:
diarm wrote:

Alby is just trying to find his suitcase. Terrible when it goes missing

If I were JVG, I'd be bringing that suitcase out to sea and sink it so he doesn't find it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:50 pm 

With his passport inside it unfortunately

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:10 pm 

unseenwork wrote:
A dip in confidence doesn't seem right, if anything he looks overconfident at times, more sloppy than anything else.

If Stockdale is overconfident after the World Cup he just went through, your have to question his connection to reality.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:16 pm 

unseenwork wrote:

I dunno, he laughs off the mistakes (not necessarily a bad thing at all) but I'd be surprised if the doubts aren't bubbling away underneath. I've long since stopped being surprised to hear that the most confident looking of players spent their careers riddled with doubts about their abilities. He wouldn't be human if he wasn't having something of a crisis of confidence about now. Well there are some extreme cases but not many. It can be tough for wingers I feel. It's that bit harder to get on the ball, put your head down and play your way into a bit of form. And when you're used to scoring boatloads of tries and that suddenly dries up, it's tough.

Last edited by hermie on Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:16 pm 

Stockdale
2nd year syndrome?
Get the ego out of the equation and realise!
You have the ability and you are going to be a force in international rugby, so the challenge starts now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:23 pm 

Winnie wrote:
Jumper wrote:
If JvG wanted a joker, the IRFU were always going to find it difficult to have a valid reason to say no. Munster are only in this spot because Schmidt consciously chose to damage Carberry's long term fitness so he would have him available for the RWC.

Edit: I see it's Cummisky in the times. He'd make Conor George look like an impartial and balanced sports journalist. Might as well strike it off as trolling nonsense in search of rage clicks.

If hysterical Jinny Anne’s like yourself had not got their pitchforks sharpened then Jackson would be back in Ulster and Ireland and thus joey wouldn’t have been needed in Japan
Slap it up ya, you reap what you sow

Stadler and Waldorf.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:25 pm 

I'm going to have to take cover here, but with Stockdale I think there was an element in the past of his deficiencies being covered up by his ridiculous try scoring exploits. The tries aren't coming at the moment so what are you left with...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:35 pm 

danthefan wrote:
I'm going to have to take cover here, but with Stockdale I think there was an element in the past of his deficiencies being covered up by his ridiculous try scoring exploits. The tries aren't coming at the moment so what are you left with...

If he wasn’t hitting his rucks, Joe wouldn’t have picked him over Dave in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:36 pm 

danthefan wrote:

There were a number of us who suggested as much at the time.

He's a wonderful try scorer but even the best finishers go through dry spells and those who establish themselves as great wingers, do so by ensuring all other elements of their game are as good as their finishing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:48 pm 

I think Stockdale was also probably given some leeway due to his bulk but I'm not sure he used it that well that often.

He's obviously still very young so has plenty of time to round off his game.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:53 pm 

I'm looking forward to the NTHCBSTH Cup this weekend.

I'll try get a look at Leinster v Treviso, should be BP banker anyway so I'll be more interested in seeing Bath v Ulster and Connacht v Montpellier.

I thought Ulster did well against Munster and could have/should have won the game if their handling had been a bit better on that McCloskey break. I'm curious to see how they go against a spiv owned English side. (Nothing against Bath rugby club I just don't like the spivery of Bruce Craig)

Connacht, with a terrible injury list, were taken to the wood shed by Leinster last Friday so if they can come away with a LBP it would be a good result for them I think.

Racing v Cheaters could be worth a look too. :P

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:02 pm 

I always said Stockdale was shite. Tries are the least important part of the game. I always said that to myself when hanging out on the wing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:15 pm 

themaddog wrote:
Winnie wrote:
Jumper wrote:
If JvG wanted a joker, the IRFU were always going to find it difficult to have a valid reason to say no. Munster are only in this spot because Schmidt consciously chose to damage Carberry's long term fitness so he would have him available for the RWC.

Edit: I see it's Cummisky in the times. He'd make Conor George look like an impartial and balanced sports journalist. Might as well strike it off as trolling nonsense in search of rage clicks.

If hysterical Jinny Anne’s like yourself had not got their pitchforks sharpened then Jackson would be back in Ulster and Ireland and thus joey wouldn’t have been needed in Japan

Stadler and Waldorf.

You ok hun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:18 pm 

There is definitely a case to be heard if you claimed Stockdale shouldn't start for Ulster right now. Our back 3 options are all playing well, and he didnt exactly set the world alight against Munster. Saying that he is a confidence player and if he becomes the go to player when back at Ulster he could thrive on that

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:20 pm 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
There is definitely a case to be heard if you claimed Stockdale shouldn't start for Ulster right now. Our back 3 options are all playing well, and he didnt exactly set the world alight against Munster. Saying that he is a confidence player and if he becomes the go to player when back at Ulster he could thrive on that

I think Balacounes lack of fitness is keeping him out of the team
Faddes being awful might force McFarlands hand and he might have to play Stockdale at xv

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:24 pm 

Winnie wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:

I think Balacounes lack of fitness is keeping him out of the team
Faddes being awful might force McFarlands hand and he might have to play Stockdale at xv

Balacoune is an excellent player, not the most exciting but extremely coachable and a savvy defender
I've heard from a few people that this is Gilroy's best season yet in terms of numbers in the gym, speed etc. Hopefully he can bring that out on to the pitch, and not forgetting we have Lyttle who has had a good start to the season

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:34 pm 

It's amazing how these things go...

It wasn't long ago that the Nordies were berating me for suggesting that Conway is a much more rounded player than Stockdale and should be ahead of him for the national side as a result. Now they're calling for him to be dropped for Ulster, and Conway is making a statement to be the best outside back in the country.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:46 pm 

Conway had his own problems with confidence at about the same age, both in trying to make the wing position in Leinster his own, and later when he languished at Munster for three or four years without setting the world alight. To his credit he has reinvented himself with a bang.

I certainly wouldn't be anywhere near writing Stockdale off yet.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:50 pm 

Just watching the Premiership highlights, Bath scrum demolished Northampton a number of times and won despite losing Brew to a red card.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:51 pm 

earl the beaver wrote:
Just watching the Premiership highlights, Bath scrum demolished Northampton a number of times and won despite losing Brew to a red card.

I watched a good bit of it over the weekend including the highlights programme last night. I really consider the Pro14 to be a better quality league than the Gallagher Premiership.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:52 pm 

Winnie wrote:
themaddog wrote:
Winnie wrote:
Jumper wrote:

Stadler and Waldorf.

You ok hun

I'm not the one engaging in a battle of wits with Jumper. You must be proud of yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:04 pm 

themaddog wrote:
Winnie wrote:
themaddog wrote:
Winnie wrote:
Jumper wrote:

Stadler and Waldorf.

You ok hun

I'm not the one engaging in a battle of wits with Jumper. You must be proud of yourself.

Glad you are ok
I’d missed my shadow
Was a bit worried something bad had happened to you

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:07 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Conway had his own problems with confidence at about the same age, both in trying to make the wing position in Leinster his own, and later when he languished at Munster for three or four years without setting the world alight. To his credit he has reinvented himself with a bang.

He will almost certainly come good. But if Ulster are picking on form, it's not inconceivable to suggest he's not in the top 3 back three players available, therefore cannot be guaranteed to get a place this week. I have no doubt he will work hard and come back good

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:10 pm 

Jumper wrote:
It's amazing how these things go...

It wasn't long ago that the Nordies were berating me for suggesting that Conway is a much more rounded player than Stockdale and should be ahead of him for the national side as a result. Now they're calling for him to be dropped for Ulster, and Conway is making a statement to be the best outside back in the country.

Yeah but you thought Keet was Ireland’s best player at the World Cup so you should really STFU.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:58 pm 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

He will almost certainly come good. But if Ulster are picking on form, it's not inconceivable to suggest he's not in the top 3 back three players available, therefore cannot be guaranteed to get a place this week. I have no doubt he will work hard and come back good

He could do worse than working with Trimble on the defensive side of his game
Really hope he comes good again as going forward he was such a potent weapon last year

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:33 pm 

danthefan wrote:

TBF it wasn't just tries, which could suggest he was just a finisher/poacher. There were loads of times and games, like the one against Racing in the Kingspan last year where he was unbelievable on attack, beating men with pace AND breaking tackles for fun - in a way I've not seen any Irish wingers do.

But yeah there were always deficiencies there - and may of us pointed them out at the time.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:46 pm 

We'll have Lowe next season anyway

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:51 pm 

Leinsterman wrote:

I can’t wait to watch Kleyn smash the ruck, stander to pick and go feeding aki who puts Lowe in, in the corner

I’ll be proud as punch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:05 pm 

Winnie wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:

I can’t wait to watch Kleyn smash the ruck, stander to pick and go feeding aki who puts Lowe in, in the corner

I’ll be proud as punch

Watching Ulster must give you so much pleasure......

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:07 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Winnie wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:

I’ll be proud as punch

Have you seen Ulster? It's fúcking shit to watch.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:08 pm 

Winnie wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:

I’ll be proud as punch

Kleyn's shite though
And Stander passing?

camroc1 wrote:
Winnie wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:

I’ll be proud as punch

Big zing tbf

camroc1 wrote:
Winnie wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:

I’ll be proud as punch

Ulster and Ireland are in no way comparable

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:23 am 

Winnie wrote:
themaddog wrote:
Winnie wrote:
themaddog wrote:
Winnie wrote:

Stadler and Waldorf.

You ok hun

Glad you are ok
I’d missed my shadow
Was a bit worried something bad had happened to you

I must admit to a certain morbid curiousity in watching yourself and Jumper engaging in a battle of wits. It's like watching two Thalidomide victims attempting to strike a knockout blow.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 423997 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10140, 10141, 10142, 10143, 10144, 10145, 10146 ... 10600  Next