Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 423142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10225, 10226, 10227, 10228, 10229, 10230, 10231 ... 10579  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:14 pm 

danthefan wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
Anyway, moving past Sappy's multi.....

Has anyone else given up complete on OTB's rugby podcasts?
The same two or three talking heads whipping out platitudes, saying they "missed the match but..." and the dweeb hosts trying to stir up whatever narrative/conflict they can to keep the conversation going.

Baz and Andrew's HOR I've actually come around to a bit when they have Flannery speaking.

Joe Molloy trying to simultaneously ask a question and answer it all in one go to show off how much he knows about rugby has gotten extremely tedious.

Ger 'coaching ticket' Gilroy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:15 pm 

Floppykid wrote:

The same two or three talking heads whipping out platitudes, saying they "missed the match but..." and the dweeb hosts trying to stir up whatever narrative/conflict they can to keep the conversation going.

Baz and Andrew's HOR I've actually come around to a bit when they have Flannery speaking.

The dayshift is struggling for content in a post Joe universe. A few manufactured outrages, Quinny's 20min equivocation and a 'what if we set up a 6th province on the moon' doesn't really cut it in the bitching stakes.

Roadshows, Leaders Questions and Monday/Wednesday nights still worth a listen if they've someone interesting on. Been impressed with HOR, they've trimmed most of the asinine shite and got better at the analysis.

Last edited by lemonhead on Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:18 pm 

RichieRich89 wrote:
Lazy Couch potato wrote:
lemonhead wrote:
Yeah. Or player 'management'.

Rest of the squad have had a proper preseason with Larkham so maybe we'll score a try :thumbup:

Snakey after getting a sell out. That said I’ll be interesting to get a good few of the young lads. Hopefully Coombes or jack o Sullivan getting a big game start.

Maybe a Munster team something like:

1. James Cronin
2. Kevin O'Byrne esq.
3. Stephen Archer
4. Fineen Wycherley
5. Billy Holland
6. Jack O'Donoghue
7. Tommy O'Donnell
8. Jack O'Sullivan
9. Nick McCarthy
10. J.J. Hanrahan
11. Shane Daly
12. Rory Scannell
13. Dan Goggin
14. Calvin Nash
15. Mike Haley

16. Diarmuid Barron
17. Liam O'Connor
18. Keynan Knox
19. Darren O'Shea
20. Gavin Coombes
21. Neil Cronin
22. Sam Arnold
23. Chris Cloete

Maybe O'Shea over Wycherley for some extra size.

Presumably Leinster are in the same boat as regards missing internationals.

Casey over Cronin hopefully but otherwise that’ll be the team for the next two games. We’ll see what some of them are made of. Healy starting at least one

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:24 pm 

sewa wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
sewa wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
It's good to see a poster bring something fresh

I agree, the circle jerk about a nothing game against a disinterested English side has become very boring

You wont have to watch any European Rugby after January so chin up.

True, I will still watch the good guys (whoever they are) vs Leinster scum

And watch you will

lemonhead wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

The dayshift is struggling for content in a post Joe universe. A few manufactured outrages, Quinny's 20min equivocation and a 'what if we set up a 6th province on the moon' doesn't really cut it in the bitching stakes.

Roadshows, Leaders Questions and Monday/Wednesday nights still worth a listen if they've someone interesting on. Been impressed with HOR, they've trimmed most of the asinine shite and got better at the analysis.

That was my big problem with HOR tbh, and I agree they've fixed it up.

Problem with rugby is, there's not enough to talk about more than once a week at most.
OTB are absolutely desperate and it's fairly apparent.

Porterbelly1 wrote:
danthefan wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

Joe Molloy trying to simultaneously ask a question and answer it all in one go to show off how much he knows about rugby has gotten extremely tedious.

Ger 'coaching ticket' Gilroy

"Would Joe just not pick Zebo...."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:27 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
sewa wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
sewa wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
It's good to see a poster bring something fresh

I agree, the circle jerk about a nothing game against a disinterested English side has become very boring

You wont have to watch any European Rugby after January so chin up.

True, I will still watch the good guys (whoever they are) vs Leinster scum

And watch you will

You hardly think a lad who deserted his own national team would show any support for Leinster?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:30 pm 

Wouldn't be surprised to see Copeland on the wing this weekend.

Healy, Niyi, TOH, Leader, De Buitlear, Stephen Fitz all out as it stands.

Bundee rested and Farrell out means Godwin needed in the centre.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:33 pm 

Floppykid wrote:
lemonhead wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

That was my big problem with HOR tbh, and I agree they've fixed it up.

Problem with rugby is, there's not enough to talk about more than once a week at most.
OTB are absolutely desperate and it's fairly apparent.

Ah yeah, 10 odd slots a week will do that, need to trim back. They'd Andy Friend on recently and struck me picking coaches and refs brains a little more on attack, defence, S&C, laws, their philosophy etc. would be decent.

The Breakdown is NZRU led and thus much easier (only copped after the England game when they flat out forgot to air an episode that week) but was pleasantly surprised they got all four SR coaches in at the same time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:37 pm 

Ask yourself would we have been bored to death with the grobler controversy without otb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:41 pm 

Porterbelly1 wrote:

He’d have made a spectacular winger.

Didn’t see the westies game how’d proud get on? Conor fitz good?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:44 pm 

Flametop wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
DeDoc wrote:
just watched that clip of the Saints try - slow it down and it really shows how awful a call it was. McGraths contact was more instinctive than anything and the Saints player ran right into him. McGrath would have needed a Larmour-esque sidestep to avoid him. Clear penalty to Leinsters - albeit it would have reverted to previous advantage for Saints.

The defender doesn't have to change his line, the onus is on the "blocking" player to change his.

This.

If you run in front of your team mate who has the ball, you are now offside.
You won’t get pinged just for that, but as soon as you make contact (intentionally or otherwise) you are interfering with play as you chose to be there in the first place.

That's basically my point - he couldn't avoid him without some kind of amazing sidestep, and that clearly makes it obstruction - if the defenders natural running line is impeded in any way then it doesn't matter what the intent of the dummy runner is. The refs judgment would imply that it was some sort of defensive misread by McGrath who chose the wrong man to tackle - and I'm still struggling to find any way in which that argument even makes it to the starting blocks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:48 pm 

Floppykid wrote:
Stander at 6 wouldn’t be bad, though I think Ruddock deserves his shot.
Doubt Farrell will jettison both PoM and Stander though, so I’d prefer Stander be kept.

Agreed. For ages I didn't think Ruddock was the answer but he's just playing so damn well at the minute. It's unlikely, as you say, that Farrell will jettison both and possibly even unlikelier that he'll introduce two 21 yr old debutants into his starting pack at the same time. If Kelleher gets the nod at hooker you could definitely see Doris being introduced to Test rugby from the bench.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:50 pm 

Lazy Couch potato wrote:
Ask yourself would we have been bored to death with the grobler controversy without otb

There is a massive bang of Kimmage off of OTB lately and it's tedious.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:51 pm 

hermie wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
Stander at 6 wouldn’t be bad, though I think Ruddock deserves his shot.
Doubt Farrell will jettison both PoM and Stander though, so I’d prefer Stander be kept.

Agreed. For ages I didn't think Ruddock was the answer but he's just playing so damn well at the minute. It's unlikely, as you say, that Farrell will jettison both and possibly even unlikelier that he'll introduce two 21 yr old debutants into his starting pack at the same time. If Kelleher gets the nod at hooker you could definitely see Doris being introduced to Test rugby from the bench.

He's been playing well for a good while and he's always fronted up for Ireland, even against huge packs.
I'd be ecstatic/surprised if both Doris and Kelleher got 1-2 games of international rugby this season.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:54 pm 

Floppykid wrote:
Lazy Couch potato wrote:

There is a massive bang of Kimmage off of OTB lately and it's tedious.

Totally. Like there was a story for that but Jesus it went on and on and on.

They’re short of content for all sports for the amount of time they are on the air.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:55 pm 

DeDoc wrote:
Flametop wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
DeDoc wrote:
just watched that clip of the Saints try - slow it down and it really shows how awful a call it was. McGraths contact was more instinctive than anything and the Saints player ran right into him. McGrath would have needed a Larmour-esque sidestep to avoid him. Clear penalty to Leinsters - albeit it would have reverted to previous advantage for Saints.

The defender doesn't have to change his line, the onus is on the "blocking" player to change his.

This.

You won’t get pinged just for that, but as soon as you make contact (intentionally or otherwise) you are interfering with play as you chose to be there in the first place.

That's basically my point - he couldn't avoid him without some kind of amazing sidestep, and that clearly makes it obstruction - if the defenders natural running line is impeded in any way then it doesn't matter what the intent of the dummy runner is. The refs judgment would imply that it was some sort of defensive misread by McGrath who chose the wrong man to tackle - and I'm still struggling to find any way in which that argument even makes it to the starting blocks

On the other hand, linebreak was made when Ringrose bought the switch line. Doubtful McGrath would've caught Tuala or prevented the scoring pass unimpeded.

Debatable sure, but I can understand Cullen getting pissed with some areas of the performance.

Last edited by lemonhead on Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:55 pm 

I honestly think Ruddock is a great squad player to have for depth but not the answer at 6. Stander is a better option providing you have a decent lineout option at 8 (Doris looking good in that regard).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:56 pm 

lemonhead wrote:
DeDoc wrote:
Flametop wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
DeDoc wrote:

This.

On the other hand, linebreak was made when Ringrose bought the switch line. Doubtful McGrath would've caught Tuala or prevented the scoring pass unimpeded.

Debatable sure, but not the actual concession of the try.

And that's what the TMO and ref concluded.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:57 pm 

CM11 wrote:
I honestly think Ruddock is a great squad player to have for depth but not the answer at 6. Stander is a better option providing you have a decent lineout option at 8 (Doris looking good in that regard).

Fair enough, I think Ruddock is the better option at 6 who also enhances the lineout to a degree.
It's probably going to be POM at 6 anyway, so a moot point.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:58 pm 

Floppykid wrote:
CM11 wrote:

Fair enough, I think Ruddock is the better option at 6 who also enhances the lineout to a degree.
It's probably going to be POM at 6 anyway, so a moot point.

x(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:06 pm 

theres literally no point in Farrell sticking to the tried and tested (and failed) players this 6n

I'd be seriously hacked off if we saw:

Sexton at 10 - time to give Carberry his head, Johnny can bench
POM at 6 - he shouldn't even be in a match day 23 for Ireland
Stander at 8 - move him to 6 already and get Doris into the team
Scannell/Herring at 2 - we all know Kelleher is better than both and Cronin should be on the bench for impact
Kearney at 15 - like POM he shouldn't be in the 23 ..... Larmour at FB please, with two of Conway/Stockdale/Earls/Daverage

I'd also like to see (a fit) Tom Farrell ahead of Henshaw

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:09 pm 

Larmour has at least really put the 15 debate to bed completely.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:09 pm 

Tom Farrell is a 13 though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:35 pm 

16,500 tickets sold for a Pro14 game the week before Christmas and on a Friday night. That's impressive.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:36 pm 

Lazy Couch potato wrote:
Porterbelly1 wrote:

He’d have made a spectacular winger.

Didn’t see the westies game how’d proud get on? Conor fitz good?

Working and missed it too, hoping the full game is up on Youtube soon.

Heard we were poor though. Haven't hit our straps at all lately

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:46 pm 

rfurlong wrote:
theres literally no point in Farrell sticking to the tried and tested (and failed) players this 6n

Scannell/Herring at 2 - we all know Kelleher is better than both and Cronin should be on the bench for impact
Kearney at 15 - like POM he shouldn't be in the 23 ..... Larmour at FB please, with two of Conway/Stockdale/Earls/Daverage

I think there is a strong chance Doris will start/bench.
Don't think Kellegher is ready yet tbh. Maybe bench him. He looks to the manor born but just think it might be a bit early for him. That said, hooker is a big area of weakness so if Farrell thinks he is ready I'd be delighted.
Sexton will start if fit and rightly so. Happy with any of JJ, Joey or even Carty benching.

Don't care who plays 6 as long as it is not PoM. I love the guy but his form has dropped massively in the last 12 months. He could do with bulking up a good bit I think...now that his pace is gone anyway... might as well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:01 pm 

shabadoo wrote:
rfurlong wrote:

I think there is a strong chance Doris will start/bench.
Don't think Kellegher is ready yet tbh. Maybe bench him. He looks to the manor born but just think it might be a bit early for him. That said, hooker is a big area of weakness so if Farrell thinks he is ready I'd be delighted.
Sexton will start if fit and rightly so. Happy with any of JJ, Joey or even Carty benching.

Don't care who plays 6 as long as it is not PoM. I love the guy but his form has dropped massively in the last 12 months. He could do with bulking up a good bit I think...now that his pace is gone anyway... might as well.

Poms biggest asset is his lineout. Particularly his lineout defense. That forces trans to play a particular way. Bulking up won’t help that.
I’m a massive fan but he’s well off the past 12 months and more importantly him cj and jvdf is a bad mix

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:02 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:

And watch you will

Actually looking at the points in each pool we still have a reasonable chance of qualifying. In seventh place currently as it stands. Racing away won't be easy but we have a soft Ospreys in Thomond to finish up with if we are still in contention. An awful pity we didn't go for the bonus point the last game.

Of the other contenders Glaws have a difficult trip to Toulouse in round six. Connacht have Toulouse to visit Galway then away to Montpelier. If Exeter beat Glasgow they are gone. Saints might lose one of at home to Treviso or away to Lyon. Sarries are the main worry though as we may well have the points to make the top eight but come third in our group which would rightly depress me :x

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:15 pm 

Ireland Christmas camp.

Quote:
1 Day Mid-Season Stocktake Attendees

Connacht:

Bundee Aki, Caolin Blade, Ultan Dillane, Dave Heffernan, Quinn Roux

Leinster:

Ross Byrne, Will Connors, Max Deegan, Caelan Doris, Tadhg Furlong, Jamison Gibson Park, Cian Healy, Robbie Henshaw, Dave Kearney, Ronan Kelleher, Jordan Larmour, Luke McGrath, Andrew Porter, Garry Ringrose, Rhys Ruddock, James Ryan, Jonathan Sexton, Devin Toner, Josh van der Flier

Munster:

Joey Carbery, Andrew Conway, Keith Earls, Chris Farrell, Mike Haley, Dave Kilcoyne, Jean Kleyn, Conor Murray, Peter O’Mahony, Niall Scannell, Rory Scannell, CJ Stander

Ulster:

Will Addison, Billy Burns, John Cooney, Iain Henderson, Rob Herring, Stuart McCloskey, Marty Moore, Tom O’Toole, Jacob Stockdale

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:24 pm 

cfm93 wrote:
Ireland Christmas camp.

Quote:

Connacht:

Leinster:

Ross Byrne, Will Connors, Max Deegan, Caelan Doris, Tadhg Furlong, Jamison Gibson Park, Cian Healy, Robbie Henshaw, Dave Kearney, Ronan Kelleher, Jordan Larmour, Luke McGrath, Andrew Porter, Garry Ringrose, Rhys Ruddock, James Ryan, Jonathan Sexton, Devin Toner, Josh van der Flier

Munster:

Joey Carbery, Andrew Conway, Keith Earls, Chris Farrell, Mike Haley, Dave Kilcoyne, Jean Kleyn, Conor Murray, Peter O’Mahony, Niall Scannell, Rory Scannell, CJ Stander

Ulster:

Will Addison, Billy Burns, John Cooney, Iain Henderson, Rob Herring, Stuart McCloskey, Marty Moore, Tom O’Toole, Jacob Stockdale

Well done Tom O'Toole, really starting to look the business.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:24 pm 

No Rob Kearney is the thing that sticks out there.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:28 pm 

Anyone see any update on Ryan or Beirne's fitness? Seems like Beirne is long term? Unsure about Ryan, the fact neither features doesn't look good

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:33 pm 

No Marmion. Is he out with a long term injury? Haven't been paying attention.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:34 pm 

Dave Heffernan is not a name I expected to see there.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:35 pm 

Hope that Lowry could be back at some point over the next two games for Ulster, would add a decent bit of spark to that Ulster backline.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:37 pm 

Mr. Very Popular wrote:

Was outstanding at the weekend

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:37 pm 

Mr. Very Popular wrote:

Looked quite decent in the last couple of Connacht outings- his darts in particular were bang on and he carried with some serious pop. It's not as if we're overflowing with quality so why not give him a taste?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:42 pm 

Luke Marshall is unlucky to miss out, he's been very good since his return from injury tail end of last year, excellent defensively.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:43 pm 

cfm93 wrote:
Ireland Christmas camp.

Quote:

Connacht:

Leinster:

Munster:

Ulster:

Hooker: Kelleher, Herring, Scannell, Heffernan
LH: Healy, Kilcoyne
TH: Porter, Furlong, O'Toole, Moore
Lock: Ryan, Toner, Dillane, Roux, Henderson, Kleyn
Backrow: Ruddock, VDF, Connors, POM, Deegan, Stander, Doris
SH: McGrath, Murray, Cooney, Blade, JGP
FH: Burns, Sexton, Carbery, Byrne
Centres: Henshaw, Aki, Ringrose, Scannell, Farrell, Addison, McCloskey
Back three: Larmour, Kearney, Earls, Stockdale, Haley,

Last edited by CM11 on Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 423142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10225, 10226, 10227, 10228, 10229, 10230, 10231 ... 10579  Next