Chat Forum
It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 8:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 422994 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10563, 10564, 10565, 10566, 10567, 10568, 10569 ... 10575  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:13 am 

Blackrock Bullet wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:
IBWT wrote:
From Cummiskey in the Irish Times.

Rugby - Provisional Fixture List

Aug 21-23 - Pro 14: Leinster v Munster, Aviva Stadium; Ulster v Connacht, Aviva Stadium
August 28-30 - Pro 14: Leinster v Ulster, Aviva stadium; Munster v Connacht, Aviva Stadium
Sept 5: Pro 14 semi-final
Sept 12: Champions Cup quarter-finals: Leinster v Saracens, Aviva Stadium; Toulouse v Ulster*
Sept 17: Pro 14 final
Sept 26: Champions Cup semi-final
Oct 3: Ireland v Italy + Pro 14 round 1
Oct 10: France v Ireland* + Pro 14 round 2
Oct 17: Champions Cup Final, Marseilles
Oct 31: Pro 14 round 3
October 23 -November/December
Autumn Six Nations
*tbc

We're in deep doo doo.

Just trying to fit in events hoping that crowds will be allowed back in, I thought the second Six Nations thing was going to just replace the whole 2020 tournament. :|

You'd hope the IRFU are coming up with a contingency for without crowds. I wouldn't mind putting a couple of hundred euros in for some kind of enhanced membership pack to just float them some money.

Also, Notre Dame are supposed to be in the Aviva the second weekend of those games, there must be word from behind the scenes that it is going to be cancelled.

The article says that stadiums will only hold 168 people, that’s including players/coaches. So probably about 100 fans.

It also says the provincial squads will live together during the interpro fixtures. I think rugby is allowed back sooner down south than reported in NI so I could see the Ulster squad basing themselves in the Donegal or something.

No spectators planned all year then?

There'll have to be 50%+ paycuts for most.

Wasn’t the paycuts pay freeze already announced. Actually will extend a lot of guys career I’d suspect. 3/4 month break with no hits no injuries will clear up a lot of niggles

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:22 am 

Blackrock Bullet wrote:
IBWT wrote:

Aug 21-23 - Pro 14: Leinster v Munster, Aviva Stadium; Ulster v Connacht, Aviva Stadium
August 28-30 - Pro 14: Leinster v Ulster, Aviva stadium; Munster v Connacht, Aviva Stadium
Sept 12: Champions Cup quarter-finals: Leinster v Saracens, Aviva Stadium; Toulouse v Ulster*
Autumn Six Nations
*tbc

We're in deep doo doo.

Just trying to fit in events hoping that crowds will be allowed back in, I thought the second Six Nations thing was going to just replace the whole 2020 tournament. :|

You'd hope the IRFU are coming up with a contingency for without crowds. I wouldn't mind putting a couple of hundred euros in for some kind of enhanced membership pack to just float them some money.

Also, Notre Dame are supposed to be in the Aviva the second weekend of those games, there must be word from behind the scenes that it is going to be cancelled.

Makes sense to bin it for a variety of obvious reasons :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:26 am 

Conspicuous wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:
IBWT wrote:

Autumn Six Nations
*tbc

We're in deep doo doo.

Put it pay per view and that will recoup some of the lost revenue.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:32 am 

CM11 wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:
IBWT wrote:

Autumn Six Nations
*tbc

We're in deep doo doo.

The article says that stadiums will only hold 168 people, that’s including players/coaches. So probably about 100 fans.

It also says the provincial squads will live together during the interpro fixtures. I think rugby is allowed back sooner down south than reported in NI so I could see the Ulster squad basing themselves in the Donegal or something.

Didn't read the article but 168 is the amount of people who are needed to be in the stadium for a match according to World Rugby.

Didn’t know that. Seems very few tbf, somewhere like the Aviva, even with every other seat taken around you, I would have thought they could have got a few thousand in at a stretch.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:33 am 

Good article on Nordi here

https://www.the42.ie/jordi-murphy-ulste ... Q88Xkofdu4

He says he hates Leinster

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:35 am 

Conspicuous wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:
IBWT wrote:

Autumn Six Nations
*tbc

We're in deep doo doo.

Because of the crowd? Seems the only one to me.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:37 am 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Good article on Nordi here

https://www.the42.ie/jordi-murphy-ulste ... Q88Xkofdu4

He says he hates Leinster

He is right, he left at the right time.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:40 am 

Lazy Couch potato wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:
IBWT wrote:

Autumn Six Nations
*tbc

We're in deep doo doo.

No spectators planned all year then?

There'll have to be 50%+ paycuts for most.

Wasn’t the paycuts pay freeze already announced. Actually will extend a lot of guys career I’d suspect. 3/4 month break with no hits no injuries will clear up a lot of niggles

That was for the rest of the season, no?

I imagine the IRFU have taken a hit from their reserves for this with those pay freezes but won't absorb that forever. The bulk of the money comes in from ticket sales. They would already have had most of that cash in by March, Italy came notwithstanding. Broadcast would have been in the kitty too.

The IRFU are in a far better position than most in World Rugby on this but I think the cuts will have to be far more severe if we don't have people attending games from September/October.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:45 am 

Noticed that the Irish 7's player in the Ulster academy is still tied to Old Wesley. Can't even come north and play for an Ulster AIL club ffs.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:46 am 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Noticed that the Irish 7's player in the Ulster academy is still tied to Old Wesley. Can't even come north and play for an Ulster AIL club ffs.

You've got to have some standards.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:50 am 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:

irfu sure are hyping his addition to the ulster academy, using it to big up 7's programme.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:53 am 

Sure he basically is

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:54 am 

Mullet 2 wrote:
Sure he basically is

:x

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:27 pm 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:
IBWT wrote:

Autumn Six Nations
*tbc

We're in deep doo doo.

Didn't read the article but 168 is the amount of people who are needed to be in the stadium for a match according to World Rugby.

Didn’t know that. Seems very few tbf, somewhere like the Aviva, even with every other seat taken around you, I would have thought they could have got a few thousand in at a stretch.

Talking about players, staff, officials and presumably TV.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:35 pm 

CM11 wrote:
His passing was superb at the start of his career but it started getting slower and loopier as time went on which is when the intercepts started happening more regularly.

Could you imagine playing against Madigan and Marshall? A winger's wet dream.

Problem with his passing was he had a big windup so it was easy to read and he lacked subtlety with his passing at times. He would fire it far too hard at times when a soft pass was needed.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:47 pm 

still maintain Madigan should have been a 9 from a young age.

If McKinley never injuries eye, who knows where he'd have ended up.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:58 pm 

Quote:
A host of players are set to leave Connacht Rugby, following Robin Copeland's announced departure to France this week.

The No 8 had been expected to retire at the end of the season, but was offered a chance to move to French ProD2 side Angouleme.

However, along with openside Colby Fainga'a's move to France and the expected departure of fellow backrow player Eoin McKeon, Connacht will be looking to add some strength, particularly at No 8, when the new season begins.

In addition to those already announced, two overseas players Kyle Godwin and David Horwitz are expected to be leaving.

It is believed some 11 players could be departing the Sportsground when the new squad is revealed, including lock Joe Maksymiw and possibly crowd favourite Niyi Adeolokun.

advertiser.ie/galway/article/114834/connacht-players-set-to-depart-as-new-squad-takes-shape

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 4:51 pm 

irishrugbyua wrote:
Quote:
A host of players are set to leave Connacht Rugby, following Robin Copeland's announced departure to France this week.

The No 8 had been expected to retire at the end of the season, but was offered a chance to move to French ProD2 side Angouleme.

However, along with openside Colby Fainga'a's move to France and the expected departure of fellow backrow player Eoin McKeon, Connacht will be looking to add some strength, particularly at No 8, when the new season begins.

In addition to those already announced, two overseas players Kyle Godwin and David Horwitz are expected to be leaving.

It is believed some 11 players could be departing the Sportsground when the new squad is revealed, including lock Joe Maksymiw and possibly crowd favourite Niyi Adeolokun.

advertiser.ie/galway/article/114834/connacht-players-set-to-depart-as-new-squad-takes-shape

Masterson to Edinburgh is a possible

There'll be a few more leaving too

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:49 pm 

irishrugbyua wrote:

Always said the same thing. It's a real blind spot in Irish rugby that teams and players won't move from the glory position of 10.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:32 am 

Why would you bother your hole trying to finish off tournaments in empty stadia? It’s not as if it’s going to create a financial windfall seeing as the TV rights are already sold?

Just cancel the 2020 competitions and start afresh in the autumn

Really - what’s the point in trying to complete what’s already a lost season

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:41 am 

I imagine they will have to return tv money if games dont go ahead

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:44 am 

jezzer wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:

Always said the same thing. It's a real blind spot in Irish rugby that teams and players won't move from the glory position of 10.

I always feel ireland is too conservative about positions (and loads of other things but thats a different matter). Other countries seem happy to mix and match much more. Have we had 10s that can play 9 or vice versa? Im not counting murray there as filling in an injury isnt being open to changing things up

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:47 am 

FravBront wrote:
jezzer wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:

I always feel ireland is too conservative about positions (and loads of other things but thats a different matter). Other countries seem happy to mix and match much more. Have we had 10s that can play 9 or vice versa? Im not counting murray there as filling in an injury isnt being open to changing things up

Pretty certain Cooney has played 10 for Ulster on a few occasions due to mid-game injuries, but not started. Think he might have started a game or 2 at 10 for Connacht.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:16 am 

FravBront wrote:
jezzer wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:

In fairness, the odd exception like Michalak or Ruan aside, how many players from other countries have mixed up 9 and, well, any other position with any great success? Certainly not enough that you could say anywhere else has a brilliant track record of it.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:52 am 

rfurlong wrote:
Why would you bother your hole trying to finish off tournaments in empty stadia? It’s not as if it’s going to create a financial windfall seeing as the TV rights are already sold?

Just cancel the 2020 competitions and start afresh in the autumn

Really - what’s the point in trying to complete what’s already a lost season

I want to see Madigan in the white of Ulster, his tears dripping down, causing his top to become translucent and I can see his popping pecs

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:25 am 

Outhalves playing pro rugby from Leinster with a senior cap for a province:

Jonathan Sexton(34/St. Marys/St. Marys) - Leinster
Ian Keatley(33/Belvedere/Clontarf) - Zebre
Ian Madigan(31/Blackrock/Blackrock) - Ulster
Ian McKinley(30/St. Columba's/Lansdowne) - Benetton
AJ MacGinty(30/Blackrock/Blackrock) - Sale
Noel Reid(30/St. Michaels/Clontarf) - Leicester
Cathal Marsh(28/St. Michaels/St. Marys) - RUNY
Ross Byrne(25/St. Michaels/UCD) - Leinster
Joey Carbery(24/Athy RFC-Blackrock/Clontarf) - Munster
Ciaran Frawley(22/Skerries RFC/UCD) - Leinster
Conor Dean(22/Blackrock/St. Marys) - Connacht
Harry Byrne(21/St. Michaels/Lansdowne) - Leinster

Last edited by irishrugbyua on Fri May 22, 2020 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:33 am 

Morning. There are rumours that Joe Maksymiw is going to join the Dragons from Connacht this summer...I was hoping to get your opinions of him? I can't say I've seen him when I've watched Connacht, so have no idea if he's any good.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:35 am 

The Carbonator only 24? seems like he's been around for ever and now gone for ages.
He probably hates us now just as much as Nordi does.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:35 am 

penguin wrote:
Morning. There are rumours that Joe Maksymiw is going to join the Dragons from Connacht this summer...I was hoping to get your opinions of him? I can't say I've seen him when I've watched Connacht, so have no idea if he's any good.

Not up to much from what he has done for Connacht. Played a few games due to injuries to first choice players, but didn't show a whole lot.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:42 am 

Just looking at photos of Cathal Marsh and his chin is now fücked up. What happened there?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:42 am 

Porterbelly1 wrote:
penguin wrote:

Not up to much from what he has done for Connacht. Played a few games due to injuries to first choice players, but didn't show a whole lot.

Ah, well. Thanks. I wasn't expecting too much, not that surprising to hear.

(I'll just have to hope that he displays some qualities hitherto unseen. As a Dragons fan that is a necessary psychological defence mechanism when it comes to new signings).

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:17 am 

CVC have bought 28% of the Pro14.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:20 am 

Liathroidigloine wrote:
CVC have bought 28% of the Pro14.

I'm not sure I agree with that at all, 'tho I suppose some of the unions need the money to keep their pro teams solvent in the current rugby wilderness.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:11 pm 

Feck the pro teams - all we need it international and AIL/club and we be grand.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:30 pm 

Just make it a Celtic league again.

But yeah, CVC's moves don't seem to be good news at all.
F1 fans from what I've been lead to believe aren't their biggest fans.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:42 pm 

Banana Man wrote:
Feck the pro teams - all we need it international and AIL/club and we be grand.

Get rid of AIL league and let lads play with there clubs. Then all is good!

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:45 pm 

Scrap all the gyms and strength and conditioning lads.
They only get players injured and make the game league ish.
2 out of every 15 on matchday must be hungover.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:55 pm 

Floppykid wrote:
Scrap all the gyms and strength and conditioning lads.
They only get players injured and make the game league ish.
2 out of every 15 on matchday must be hungover.

Fück off!

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:09 pm 

Give us your thoughts on Joe Maksymiw. I hear he is the next big thing.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:26 pm 

Lads, we don't need ticket sales. Between Welsh TV money and CVC we will be coining it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 422994 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10563, 10564, 10565, 10566, 10567, 10568, 10569 ... 10575  Next