Chat Forum
It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 8:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 422994 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10564, 10565, 10566, 10567, 10568, 10569, 10570 ... 10575  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:31 pm 

DOB wrote:
FravBront wrote:
jezzer wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
still maintain Madigan should have been a 9 from a young age.

If McKinley never injuries eye, who knows where he'd have ended up.

Always said the same thing. It's a real blind spot in Irish rugby that teams and players won't move from the glory position of 10.

I always feel ireland is too conservative about positions (and loads of other things but thats a different matter). Other countries seem happy to mix and match much more. Have we had 10s that can play 9 or vice versa? Im not counting murray there as filling in an injury isnt being open to changing things up

In fairness, the odd exception like Michalak or Ruan aside, how many players from other countries have mixed up 9 and, well, any other position with any great success? Certainly not enough that you could say anywhere else has a brilliant track record of it.

Weepu, Yachvili, Ellisalde, Doussain, Parra... a very French thing from the turn of the century onwards really.

Giteau played 9 too.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:37 pm 

Floppykid wrote:
Just make it a Celtic league again.

But yeah, CVC's moves don't seem to be good news at all.
F1 fans from what I've been lead to believe aren't their biggest fans.

I've also seen that the Italian Federation are now also members so doubt the Italian teams will be going anywhere.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:47 pm 

Austin Healy?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:49 pm 

Risteard wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

I've also seen that the Italian Federation are now also members so doubt the Italian teams will be going anywhere.

Great.
We'll have this tacky, hodge podge league for a while then.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:52 pm 

Floppykid wrote:
Risteard wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

Great.

I like it. Its like that final table at every wedding with all the misfits like the perverted cousin, permanently single female friend, weird Uncle, that couple you met on holidays and invited you to their wedding etc. Ends up being great craic

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:53 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:
CVC have bought 28% of the Pro14.

I'm not sure I agree with that at all, 'tho I suppose some of the unions need the money to keep their pro teams solvent in the current rugby wilderness.

I'm enjoying the Keith Wood podcast series on Newstalk on the state of the game.

Completely agree on the Celtic League and Super Rugby being unsustainable and crap. I called the expansion bottom feeding on here and was disagreed with by many. I had hoped that CVC would accelerate a UK & Ireland league but the Italians are still there. x(

It would be great for rugby if the Top 14 went under because of this crisis because they have driven rugby off a cliff.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:54 pm 

IRFU CEO PHILIP Browne has confirmed that plans are in place for inter-provincial games to be played behind closed doors at the Aviva Stadium on 22/23 August.

Browne recognised that there may be setbacks amidst the challenges of Covid-19 but stated that it was important to “put a target in place and work towards it” with regards to the resumption of rugby in Ireland.

Under the IRFU plans, the four provinces will feature in two games at the Aviva on the weekend of 22/23 August.

The games will be part of the 2019/20 PRO14 season.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:56 pm 

Blackrock Bullet wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:

I'm not sure I agree with that at all, 'tho I suppose some of the unions need the money to keep their pro teams solvent in the current rugby wilderness.

I'm enjoying the Keith Wood podcast series on Newstalk on the state of the game.

Completely agree on the Celtic League and Super Rugby being unsustainable and crap. I called the expansion bottom feeding on here and was disagreed with by many. I had hoped that CVC would accelerate a UK & Ireland league but the Italians are still there. x(

It would be great for rugby if the Top 14 went under because of this crisis because they have driven rugby off a cliff.

Bottom feeding is a good way to describe it, though I disagree on UK & Ireland league.
I think we had something good with the Celtic league.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:00 pm 

Floppykid wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:

Bottom feeding is a good way to describe it, though I disagree on UK & Ireland league.
I think we had something good with the Celtic league.

lets do with proper Celts only. Us and the Scots. Let the welsh and their legions of loyal fans go and gobble english cock to their hearts content

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:01 pm 

Yeah I liked the Celtic League.

My preference for a UK & Ireland league was that if we had to compete financially with the French, that was the way to do it. Good tv money there and additionally, it could reduce the game load for players. The European Cup could in that scenario be blended with the two leagues in Europe, with them acting as an East and West conference of sorts.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:13 pm 

Floppykid wrote:
Risteard wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

Great.

Don't watch it so, I love it. Miles better than the Premiership.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:18 pm 

Are CVC linked to any particular tv network?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:19 pm 

Liathroidigloine wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
Risteard wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

Great.

Don't watch it so, I love it. Miles better than the Premiership.

dOn'T WAtCh iT tHeN

that's what you sound like.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:23 pm 

penguin wrote:
Morning. There are rumours that Joe Maksymiw is going to join the Dragons from Connacht this summer...I was hoping to get your opinions of him? I can't say I've seen him when I've watched Connacht, so have no idea if he's any good.

Came to Connacht with no real reputation from his time at Tigers and never really had any standout games or cameos but he never got a good run in the side. Seems a nice guy though.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:22 pm 

Quote:
“If I might just finish on a stark note in relation to sport in general,” Browne added. “The levels of financial loss being encountered by all sporting organisations is catastrophic and rugby is no exception.

“Almost 70 clubs have already applied for support through the Club Continuity Support Fund and this will only grow. The IRFU will do what it can to lend support to clubs but there is only so far drastically depleted funds can stretch.

“It is not sensationalist to suggest that without Government financial support sport will take a generation to get back on its feet, leaving an enormous void at the heart of communities throughout the land.

“Sport and Clubs have played an inestimable but often undervalued role in the development of our young and the health of the general population.

“I would call on Government, who have done such a magnificent job in shepherding the country from the worst excesses of this pandemic over the past months, to fully recognise sport’s contribution and role as a core strand in the fabric of our society, and in turn provide the significant financial support all sports will need in the difficult transition from dormant isolation to vibrancy across their communities.”

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2020/05/22/ph ... y-roadmap/

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:32 pm 

Euro Bonds needed

Marshall Plan Mark II

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:01 pm 

irishrugbyua wrote:
Quote:
“If I might just finish on a stark note in relation to sport in general,” Browne added. “The levels of financial loss being encountered by all sporting organisations is catastrophic and rugby is no exception.

“Almost 70 clubs have already applied for support through the Club Continuity Support Fund and this will only grow. The IRFU will do what it can to lend support to clubs but there is only so far drastically depleted funds can stretch.

“It is not sensationalist to suggest that without Government financial support sport will take a generation to get back on its feet, leaving an enormous void at the heart of communities throughout the land.

“Sport and Clubs have played an inestimable but often undervalued role in the development of our young and the health of the general population.

“I would call on Government, who have done such a magnificent job in shepherding the country from the worst excesses of this pandemic over the past months, to fully recognise sport’s contribution and role as a core strand in the fabric of our society, and in turn provide the significant financial support all sports will need in the difficult transition from dormant isolation to vibrancy across their communities.”

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2020/05/22/ph ... y-roadmap/

20/20 Hindsight and all but the decision to buy the HQ which they were renting at 600k pa with the proceeds of that land sale looks really bad. It was a dodgy decision to begin with.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:01 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
Euro Bonds needed

Marshall Plan Mark II

Think the IRFU are over egging the pudding. €38m in cash on balance sheet at 30/4/2019 with further cash due from Newlands Cross when rezoning obtained.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:35 pm 

What are the thoughts as to when AIL/Junior rugby will resume? Before Xmas?
Could be a difficult one if ROI or NI decides not to lift lockdown at the same time as the other.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:44 pm 

Diabhal wrote:
penguin wrote:
Morning. There are rumours that Joe Maksymiw is going to join the Dragons from Connacht this summer...I was hoping to get your opinions of him? I can't say I've seen him when I've watched Connacht, so have no idea if he's any good.

Came to Connacht with no real reputation from his time at Tigers and never really had any standout games or cameos but he never got a good run in the side. Seems a nice guy though.

Thanks. Considering we are trying to replace a guy in Cory Hill who never made much of a mark before, I guess we're going to have to try and repeat the trick. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:52 pm 

Liathroidigloine wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
Euro Bonds needed

Marshall Plan Mark II

Think the IRFU are over egging the pudding. €38m in cash on balance sheet at 30/4/2019 with further cash due from Newlands Cross when rezoning obtained.

You can be sure the grab all association and knackerball will be hoovering up cash so why be honourable lemons and actively put the sport at a competitive disadvantage?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:04 pm 

Yeah, I'm with Fester, fudge the GAA.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:56 am 

Liathroidigloine wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
Euro Bonds needed

Marshall Plan Mark II

They splurged a lot of the cash on buying their premises which is what I was getting at.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:22 am 

Kilkenny College players Charlie Tector(Outhalf) and Ryan Strong(Centre) have been selected Leinster U19 Remote Training this summer., Jake Calbeck(Lock) on being selected for Leinster U20 Remote Training this summer.

Balbriggan RFC players Abdul Olaosebikan(Openside) and Aitzol King(Wing) have been called up to the U19 remote Leinster Summer Programme

Last edited by irishrugbyua on Sat May 23, 2020 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:40 am 

Good to hear a positive story from Balbriggan for a change.
Well done lads.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:42 am 

Dan Leavy turned 26 today.

Recently posted this: https://twitter.com/OutputSports/status ... 97120?s=20

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:44 am 

irishrugbyua wrote:

Here Dan less of that

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:52 am 

EverReady wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:

Here Dan less of that

Doing plyos on concrete?

:uhoh:

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:05 am 

irishrugbyua wrote:

Not much of a garden for Ireland's greatest ever back row.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:18 pm 

He needs to stop working out once he's rehabed.
Overtraining/gym work will only ruin him like it's ruined rugby.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:44 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM9fGfqiRQ0

Probably my favourite Habana try.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:57 pm 

Floppykid wrote:

Never mind the try, the kits :thumbup:
Rugby kit manufacturers need to give themselves a massive uppercut for what they’ve done to our sport.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:06 pm 

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/statu ... 62017?s=19

Remember when players used to take risks like this?

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:53 pm 

Jim Lahey wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

Never mind the try, the kits :thumbup:
Rugby kit manufacturers need to give themselves a massive uppercut for what they’ve done to our sport.

Hard to see but it doesn't look like there's a coloured boot in sight :thumbup:

Habana was lightening but Robinson was freakishly quick. His acceleration was ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDKXCJ0Es70

Greenwood at 55 seconds :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:21 pm 

So Ulsters European cup* win on BBC 2 tomorrow night.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:39 pm 

Flametop wrote:
EverReady wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:

Here Dan less of that

Doing plyos on concrete?

:uhoh:

That was my first reaction as well, but then he's probably laid those slabs on the decomposing corpses of defeated foes, so he gets a pass.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:10 pm 

lorcanoworms wrote:

Trailblazers.

No-one remembers the second man on the moon....

Iirc I walked past Gerry or Martin on way to game. Could have been a figment of my imagination as was very,.....very.... etc

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:01 pm 

Floppykid wrote:
https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/status/1264194375128662017?s=19

What risk? If he missed it was a 22 dropout and Leinster still get the ball back. It was a pretty common tactic for a few years, and I’m not sure why it isn’t any more.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:07 pm 

lorcanoworms wrote:

I hear they used neural networks and artificial intelligence technology to remaster the old footage

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:37 pm 

DOB wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/status/1264194375128662017?s=19

What risk? If he missed it was a 22 dropout and Leinster still get the ball back. It was a pretty common tactic for a few years, and I’m not sure why it isn’t any more.

Gotta retain possession and set up another ruck.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 422994 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10564, 10565, 10566, 10567, 10568, 10569, 10570 ... 10575  Next