Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 424023 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10574, 10575, 10576, 10577, 10578, 10579, 10580 ... 10601  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:41 pm 

Jean Luc could be a target for one of the Irish provinces. A waste putting him in the row at 1.94 metres and I would expect Sale to have some salary cap pressures. He wouldn’t be too expensive as he doesn’t have many caps.

The two twins bullied Michael Hooper in a recent Super Rugby match.

The Sharks still have Bosch, Am, Nkosi and Mapimpi in the backs.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:27 pm 

Jim Lahey wrote:
Risteard wrote:
Lads, current guidelines say phase 5 will mean rugby can start back up again (actually specifically mentioned on the website)

So do people think the club game will go back at this stage?

Up north October seems to be mentioned as a possible return to training date.
I hope the Ulster branch make an effort to regionalise the leagues for the remainder of the season in an effort to get lads interested again and bring back some local rivalries.
Given that general interest in the sport is on the wane, asking lads to travel 2+ hours to away games 4 or 5 times a season is a bit much, especially if you are playing junior rugby.
Local matches with a big knees up afterwards and a safe distance for the WAGs to pick up the lads would do wonders for the sport imo. Sure you’d have some big mismatches but given that its going to be impossible to complete a proper season, at least it might be fun.

They did regionalise some of the leagues in the 00s, mainly for the lower teams in the clubs, but as am now a very fair weather spectator I couldn't tell you if it is still the case. It didn't work. You went from having a hard competitive match every week, to having teams cancel on you all the time.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:04 pm 

Brumby_in_Vic wrote:
Jean Luc could be a target for one of the Irish provinces. A waste putting him in the row at 1.94 metres and I would expect Sale to have some salary cap pressures. He wouldn’t be too expensive as he doesn’t have many caps.

SOB 2.0, Boyle, Jean Luc. Inject it into my veins

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:35 pm 

Porterbelly1 wrote:
Brumby_in_Vic wrote:

SOB 2.0 has shown zero ability to stay fit, could he have even played 50 games for Connacht since he broke through. Has had zero luck, but has to have lost some of his punch.

Jasper Wiese is defo coming to Connacht and you lads also now linked with someone from Jaguares, but don’t have the name.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:32 am 

Banana Man wrote:
Porterbelly1 wrote:
Brumby_in_Vic wrote:

SOB 2.0 has shown zero ability to stay fit, could he have even played 50 games for Connacht since he broke through. Has had zero luck, but has to have lost some of his punch.

Jasper Wiese is defo coming to Connacht and you lads also now linked with someone from Jaguares, but don’t have the name.

Agree on SOB 2.0, it’s a shame. According to one of the lads on Craggy Rugby podcast, the Wiese deal is off.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:32 am 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Lazy Couch potato wrote:
Brumby_in_Vic wrote:
Matt Lucas is the halfback that came off the bench for the Brumbies. Isaac his brother from the Reds is a good player bit small. Similar to Damien McKenzie in height and that you can’t tell whether he is a flyhalf or a fullback.

On the Saffers the Sharks are a good side and topped the table even without the du Preez brothers (Jean Luc) is a beast. The Bulls are shite this year but have signed Duane Vermeulen, Marcel van der Merwe, Gio Aplon and Arno Botha. Jake White in as coach. Pieter-Steph du Toit and Kitshoff are sticking around. Siya Kolisi is still there.

It will be great for the league to have players like du Toit, Vermeulen, Kolisi’s quality play in it.

I would expect SuperSport to kick far more tv money in to the pot and they have shares in some of the other teams.

I think If the big saffer teams could keep their stars they’ll keep the crowds and as a result would be a big addition to the league. That’s a big if!

Happy to stick my neck out and say that having those Saffer Super teams in the Pro14 would be no bad thing. SA rugby are in a good place obviously and it could pluck up some interest in the Lions tour next summer if they stick around the Northern Hemisphere

Personally speaking, if expanding to 18 teams or whatever meant being able to watch guys like Kolisi, PSDT, Kolbe play on a reasonably regular basis I would be all for that. If needs be the Welsh can go join the English anyway and we can have the craic with the Scots

Agreed. No return fixtures, just play everyone once. And if the Welsh ever do finally get their wish and end up pissing off the league isn't totally f**ked.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:49 am 

So when and where can we watch Super Rugby again? Would be tempted to get whatever channel it's on, or would Rugby Pass or some such be better?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:50 am 

Not sure if RR but Willie Anderson retiring from Ulster Academy.
Anyone with insight know whether it was him or Campbell’s fault for our inability to produce forwards for the last decade?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:54 am 

hermie wrote:
So when and where can we watch Super Rugby again? Would be tempted to get whatever channel it's on, or would Rugby Pass or some such be better?

Super Rugby is on sky no?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:56 am 

Is it Aus and NZ playing together?
I'll go with the Blues from NZed, Brumbies from Aus if that's the case.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:22 pm 

Jim Lahey wrote:
Anyone with insight know whether it was him or Campbell’s fault for our inability to produce forwards for the last decade?

Well he was the academy forwards coach, but not for the whole decade... think he got back involved and ulster's academy forwards got marginally better.. but hasn't shown up in senior squad yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:49 pm 

Jim Lahey wrote:

The only thing I had heard about him was that some of the academy boys thought he was very limited in his approach and they found doing the same drill endlessly boring as hell. Ulster's biggest problem is talent ID.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:20 pm 

hermie wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Lazy Couch potato wrote:
Brumby_in_Vic wrote:
Matt Lucas is the halfback that came off the bench for the Brumbies. Isaac his brother from the Reds is a good player bit small. Similar to Damien McKenzie in height and that you can’t tell whether he is a flyhalf or a fullback.

On the Saffers the Sharks are a good side and topped the table even without the du Preez brothers (Jean Luc) is a beast. The Bulls are shite this year but have signed Duane Vermeulen, Marcel van der Merwe, Gio Aplon and Arno Botha. Jake White in as coach. Pieter-Steph du Toit and Kitshoff are sticking around. Siya Kolisi is still there.

It will be great for the league to have players like du Toit, Vermeulen, Kolisi’s quality play in it.

I would expect SuperSport to kick far more tv money in to the pot and they have shares in some of the other teams.

I think If the big saffer teams could keep their stars they’ll keep the crowds and as a result would be a big addition to the league. That’s a big if!

Happy to stick my neck out and say that having those Saffer Super teams in the Pro14 would be no bad thing. SA rugby are in a good place obviously and it could pluck up some interest in the Lions tour next summer if they stick around the Northern Hemisphere

Personally speaking, if expanding to 18 teams or whatever meant being able to watch guys like Kolisi, PSDT, Kolbe play on a reasonably regular basis I would be all for that. If needs be the Welsh can go join the English anyway and we can have the craic with the Scots

Agreed. No return fixtures, just play everyone once. And if the Welsh ever do finally get their wish and end up pissing off the league isn't totally f**ked.

Can’t see the big attendance derbies ever going to once a year.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:03 pm 

At this stage Super Rugby is only confirmed for Aus and NZ based comps where they play each. NZ starts off in two weeks. The Australian one in five weeks. Cross border finals is dependent on both Governments working out travel arrangements. NZ has only one Chinavirus case left. Australia about 450.

The NRL is looking at getting crowds back by July so hopefully the Australian matches will have some attendances.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:21 pm 

hermie wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Lazy Couch potato wrote:
Brumby_in_Vic wrote:

Home and away for the Interpros. I know this is discussed regularly enough here but it really baffles me that the IRFU elected not to make any competition out of the Interpros for years.

That gives you 6 games. Decide on the rest from there. Really not a fan of the Pro14 though tbh.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:27 pm 

David Humphreys let go by Gloucester.

Follows Ackermann out the door

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:29 pm 

So much for all that extra wedge Humph

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:27 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
So much for all that extra wedge Humph

How many years has he been there though? Added to whatever he made playing and then as an agent/solictor I'm sure he's set for life.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:51 pm 

I would very much doubted a lad his age is set for life

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:39 pm 

He's been there 6 years
Would be good to see him at Ulster in some capacity but it would just be more jobs for the boys. Don't exactly know where he would fit in, tbh.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:41 pm 

I suspect Humphries burnt his bridges with the IRFU when he decamped to Glouscester. Otherwise there was a nice road ahead for him to the upper echelons of Lansdowne Road.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:45 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
I suspect Humphries burnt his bridges with the IRFU when he decamped to Glouscester. Otherwise there was a nice road ahead for him to the upper echelons of Lansdowne Road.

:lol:
It's all speculation if he was going to go for the top job, but if he was, then good on him, shows the IRFU that they aren't the be all and end all. It's also not inconceivable that he resigned from Ulster before the job came up, since he didn't get that then what do you propose he should have done? Begged Ulster for his job back?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:07 pm 

camroc1 wrote:

His move to Gloucester was a combination of being overlooked for the IRFU gig and the money offered. If he wants to he'll get a job somewhere.

He's also not Welsh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:08 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:

Humph was supposed to be more than comfortable off his non-rugby earnings well before he quit playing. I doubt finances are a major concern for him.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:15 pm 

earl the beaver wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

His move to Gloucester was a combination of being overlooked for the IRFU gig and the money offered. If he wants to he'll get a job somewhere.

He's also not Welsh

What job was he looking for again?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:27 pm 

DOB wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

He's also not Welsh

Nuciforas wasn’t it?
Thankless job should always be a outsider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:30 pm 

DOB wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

Humph was supposed to be more than comfortable off his non-rugby earnings well before he quit playing. I doubt finances are a major concern for him.

He was a pro rugby player at the start and a solicitor not a PGA tour golfer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:35 pm 

boringperson12 wrote:
Jim Lahey wrote:

The only thing I had heard about him was that some of the academy boys thought he was very limited in his approach and they found doing the same drill endlessly boring as hell. Ulster's biggest problem is talent ID.

Don't think there's much positive press about his coaching career overall.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:39 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
DOB wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

He'd been out of college a couple of years before he turned full-time pro, and supposedly was pretty clever with how he invested what he was earning. I'm only passing on what was going around about him in the early 00's; that even if he'd never touched a rugby ball, he still would've had more cash in the bank than most of his Ireland teammates at the time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:44 pm 

camroc1 wrote:

Apparently he was told he never got the DOR with the IRFU because he didn;t have enough experience outside of Irish rugby, hence why he went to Gloucester.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:52 pm 

DOB wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
DOB wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

He'd been out of college a couple of years before he turned full-time pro, and supposedly was pretty clever with how he invested what he was earning. I'm only passing on what was going around about him in the early 00's; that even if he'd never touched a rugby ball, he still would've had more cash in the bank than most of his Ireland teammates at the time.

He worked for one of NI's commercial firms for his apprenticeship. He's clearly a bright lad. With his skillset he'd be fine really. Could probably throw himself into sports law or a lot of commercial gigs if he wanted to leave rugby (which isn't clear).

Think rugby would be a tough place to be working for the next few years anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:17 pm 

Lazy Couch potato wrote:
DOB wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

He's also not Welsh

Nuciforas wasn’t it?

Don’t want to get any more of those pesky nordies in the team, eh?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:18 pm 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Lazy Couch potato wrote:
DOB wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

He's also not Welsh

Nuciforas wasn’t it?

Indeed, we need winners !

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:20 am 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Lazy Couch potato wrote:
DOB wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

He's also not Welsh

Nuciforas wasn’t it?

Seriously tho I’m convinced it shouldn’t be someone with a long connection to a single province when it comes to deciding who gets contracts

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:35 am 

Lazy Couch potato wrote:

Seriously tho I’m convinced it shouldn’t be someone with a long connection to a single province when it comes to deciding who gets contracts

The players who get picked are the ones who get contracts, Humph (and Nucifora currently) surely have no business in team selection?
It would be a valid point if you were saying that he may favour Ulster more in who they sign etc, but it's all hypothetical anyway. Maybe he would want to make a point and actually be less inclined to favour Ulster, who knows.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:41 am 

anonymous_joe wrote:
DOB wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
DOB wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

He worked for one of NI's commercial firms for his apprenticeship. He's clearly a bright lad. With his skillset he'd be fine really. Could probably throw himself into sports law or a lot of commercial gigs if he wanted to leave rugby (which isn't clear).

Think rugby would be a tough place to be working for the next few years anyway.

I can see roles like that being scaled back alright.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:57 am 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Lazy Couch potato wrote:

The players who get picked are the ones who get contracts, Humph (and Nucifora currently) surely have no business in team selection?
It would be a valid point if you were saying that he may favour Ulster more in who they sign etc, but it's all hypothetical anyway. Maybe he would want to make a point and actually be less inclined to favour Ulster, who knows.

Totally agree. Damned if he does dammed if he doesn’t. You can only see the flack nucifora gets and at least no one can claim he has a playing history. He obviously has been Very kind to Munster while there’s no obvious investment in Connacht these days.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:21 am 

Uncle Fester wrote:
boringperson12 wrote:
Jim Lahey wrote:

Don't think there's much positive press about his coaching career overall.

What are the playing numbers like at underage level up North?

Traditionally they would have been up there with South Dublin right? (albeit a larger geographic area).

The direction of their AIL teams in recent years indicates not much good. Or is it simply that down south rugby has taken off and up north its remained on the same level??

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:23 am 

F**k. Me. Lads.
I am suffering here without rugby to watch and argue about.
I’d even settle for a time machine trip back to Ulster’s 2017/18 season at this stage FFS.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:26 am 

Jim Lahey wrote:
F**k. Me. Lads.
I am suffering here without rugby to watch and argue about.
I’d even settle for a time machine trip back to Ulster’s 2017/18 season at this stage FFS.

Surely that’s available on pronhub

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 424023 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10574, 10575, 10576, 10577, 10578, 10579, 10580 ... 10601  Next