Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 424881 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10614, 10615, 10616, 10617, 10618, 10619, 10620 ... 10623  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:14 pm 

Actually Phillips would probably be where HR could start!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:18 pm 

CM11 wrote:
Actually Phillips would probably be where HR could start!

Not really though. Murray was still only establishing himself and was considered by many to be a wee bit lucky to even have travelled. Of course the tour made him and he excelled in it, but he was very much the junior member of the three that travelled. It would have been a very big call to start such a young and inexperienced 9 in the tests.

And of course the other option was Ben Youngs!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:30 pm 

Agree with PD. Murray hadn't done much of anything of note internationally before that tour, besides being decent enough and clearly improving.
Philips want an awful decision in theory, but his performances were dreadful. Didn't want it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:47 pm 

The whole point of the Lions tour is that you pick the best team on tour. Although really SA 1997 was the last one that properly happened.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:53 pm 

CM11 wrote:
Hellraiser wrote:
DOB wrote:
The Lions Tour is the nearest we’ll ever get to a real life “what’s the best combined team?” type game, where the players take it seriously and everyone actually cares who wins. (Ryder cup being different in that golf isn’t a team sport normally) Other sports have All-Star games, or charity matches, or their equivalent of the Barbarians, or exhibition events that nobody watches because you know the players aren’t into it; Lions tours are different because you know how much both sides desperately want to win.

Except it's never the best combined team, or squad even. Selections are completely political.

Ok, I'll bite, who are the notable players over the years who've missed out on test selection despite being in form and fit?

Lydiate over SOB in the second test in 2013 is as egregious as anything, absolutely shocking call.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:03 pm 

BrockJamesFanClub wrote:
Did anyone hear the OTB am interview with CJ Stander last week? ( i just listened to it on playback)

CJ didnt like the question regarding the PED culture in the school (i think) that CJ attended. A couple of awkward silences ensued and you could tell that Stander was pissed off and couldn't wait for the interview to end.

Cumulative. Sheahan got good value out of him the first 20mins, then up pops James Cronin and without going into specifics (goes into specifics), and not to dwell on (dwells on with several similar questions), then more on PEDs in South Africa, schools, Craven week etc.

Not that those aren't for asking, but CJ gave him a clear hint to wrap it midway and he just kept going.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:27 pm 

lemonhead wrote:
BrockJamesFanClub wrote:
Did anyone hear the OTB am interview with CJ Stander last week? ( i just listened to it on playback)

CJ didnt like the question regarding the PED culture in the school (i think) that CJ attended. A couple of awkward silences ensued and you could tell that Stander was pissed off and couldn't wait for the interview to end.

Cumulative. Sheahan got good value out of him the first 20mins, then up pops James Cronin and without going into specifics (goes into specifics), and not to dwell on (dwells on with several similar questions), then more on PEDs in South Africa, schools, Craven week etc.

Not that those aren't for asking, but CJ gave him a clear hint to wrap it midway and he just kept going.

Was it Molloy or Gilroy?

Public service broadcasting really, with Munster obviously being the PED hotspot of Irish rugby.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:48 pm 

danthefan wrote:
lemonhead wrote:
BrockJamesFanClub wrote:

Was it Molloy or Gilroy?

Public service broadcasting really, with Munster obviously being the PED hotspot of Irish rugby.

Might be hard to argue that drugs in Munster actually ENHANCE performace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:58 pm 

danthefan wrote:
lemonhead wrote:
BrockJamesFanClub wrote:

Was it Molloy or Gilroy?

Neither, twas little Eoin in charge.

Molloy at least has the experience to tease out decent answers on those.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:55 am 

Nolanator wrote:
Gatland has been successful, no doubt. I disliked his approach to coaching and playing, but can accept that it's entirely necessary in the modern game when cobbling together a team with short notice/training time to play at a high standard.
To me, the BOD/Davies call was just further confirmation of his committment to bosh rugby. Although I'll hold my hand up to obviously being biased in my assessment of BOD, and Davies is clearly an excellent player.

The geography selections really annoyed me. Cheapened the whole production, IMO. Bunch of no-hopers from Wales selected because they were nearby (purely coincidentally, I'm sure).

Absolute rubbish, J Davies isn't a bosh player yes he has power but he also has a decent passing game and deservedly started ahead of BOD in 3rd test. Even BOD admits that, he said it in a podcast last week.
J Davies tore us apart in the RWC quarter final in 2011.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:01 am 

Did you read the sentence that came directly after the one you highlighted?

JJD is a super player, so was BOD, so was Roberts. The combo of those three that he went for was the one which could inflict the most physical punishment on Australia.
Obviously that's modern rugby, but Gatland seems to really love the bosh, much like latter day Schmidtball.

There was also talk of BOD paying the price for conceding the winning try of the second test, where JJD bit in and tackled BOD's man.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:41 am 

Nolanator wrote:
Did you read the sentence that came directly after the one you highlighted?

JJD is a super player, so was BOD, so was Roberts. The combo of those three that he went for was the one which could inflict the most physical punishment on Australia.
Obviously that's modern rugby, but Gatland seems to really love the bosh, much like latter day Schmidtball.

There was also talk of BOD paying the price for conceding the winning try of the second test, where JJD bit in and tackled BOD's man.

Yep read it but you are implying JOD was simply picked because he is bigger than BOD. J Davies at that time was simply a better player than a 34 year old BOD nothing wrong with that. Roberts is very limitied player but effective player.
To say J Davies was picked because he is bigger is a complete misnomer as proven by him being picked as player of the series in the 2017 Lions series.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:46 am 

It was more Roberts that was picked ahead of BOD tbf.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:02 pm 

CM11 wrote:
It was more Roberts that was picked ahead of BOD tbf.

I’d disagree after listening to BOD’s interview on OTB last week . While Roberts may have replaced him in the starting XV , in reality he was always coming back into the side once available meaning it was a choice between BOD and JD to play alongside him . BOD spoke about the difficulties of playing alongside Davies and said the partnership just didn’t work as they were both almost pure 13’s. It sounded like he’d come to terms with Gatland’s decision to drop him , admitting his best days were well behind him by 2013 and praising Davies performance

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:11 pm 

Fucks sake, lads. Get on message.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:29 pm 

Did we all listen to the same interview? Saying his partnership didn't work with JD isn't the same as saying Gats was correct to drop him. He's pretty gracious about it but I don't think he really came out and said I was over the hill, Jiffy was better. JD has always been a classy player but wasn't quite the star he would become then. Dricco tore it up in his final season so was hardly done either.

But as Stats says Roberts/Davies was probably first choice all along it just didn't happen until the final Test.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:45 pm 

hermie wrote:
Did we all listen to the same interview? Saying his partnership didn't work with JD isn't the same as saying Gats was correct to drop him. He's pretty gracious about it but I don't think he really came out and said I was over the hill, Jiffy was better. JD has always been a classy player but wasn't quite the star he would become then. Dricco tore it up in his final season so was hardly done either.

But as Stats says Roberts/Davies was probably first choice all along it just didn't happen until the final Test.

No it’s not the same but it’s as close as you’ll get to hearing someone say they deserved to be dropped. Sayng the partnership didn’t work and he was well past his best and Davies was playing very well sounds like he is pretty accepting of the situation now compared to where he was at the time . Being the competitor that he is I’m sure he’ll always believe on some level that he could/should have started but at least now he can see the clear logic behind starting Roberts and Davies together, and it wasn’t just because they were both playing under Gatland for Wales

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:36 pm 

hermie wrote:

Final Season but he was on that Lions tour and Davies deservedly started ahead of him.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:21 pm 

Luckycharmer wrote:
hermie wrote:

Final Season but he was on that Lions tour and Davies deservedly started ahead of him.

I still disagree. O'Driscoll had played better than Davies on tour up until that final game.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:27 pm 

Conspicuous wrote:
hermie wrote:

No it’s not the same but it’s as close as you’ll get to hearing someone say they deserved to be dropped. Sayng the partnership didn’t work and he was well past his best and Davies was playing very well sounds like he is pretty accepting of the situation now compared to where he was at the time . Being the competitor that he is I’m sure he’ll always believe on some level that he could/should have started but at least now he can see the clear logic behind starting Roberts and Davies together, and it wasn’t just because they were both playing under Gatland for Wales

Of course he's not going to be a bitter arsehole about it after all this time. You'd have no respect for him if he was. But I still contend that on the evidence of the matches leading up to it he was not only playing well but better than Davies. In the end it didn't make one jot of difference towards the result and I still enjoyed the series win immensely but my opinion remains unchanged.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:27 pm 

no sign of Ryan in leinster training photos... not good.

sexton and leavy there though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:28 pm 

So what do we think of the Eight Nations? Should be cool but could well be overkill.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:38 pm 

hermie wrote:
Conspicuous wrote:
hermie wrote:

Of course he's not going to be a bitter arsehole about it after all this time. You'd have no respect for him if he was. But I still contend that on the evidence of the matches leading up to it he was not only playing well but better than Davies. In the end it didn't make one jot of difference towards the result and I still enjoyed the series win immensely but my opinion remains unchanged.

I think it was more than a case of “not being bitter “ . To me it sounded like BOD had accepted Gatland went for the strongest partnership even if he didn’t see it that way at the time . Agree to disagree though or we’ll be here all night

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:55 pm 

Dan Leavy looking fit as fudge. His first contact will be one of those "watch through your fingers" moments.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:59 pm 

Quote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:
Dan Leavy looking fit as fudge. His first contact will be one of those "watch through your fingers" moments.

Linky ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:02 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:02 pm 

hermie wrote:
So what do we think of the Eight Nations? Should be cool but could well be overkill.

fun idea which is really about bringing in some cash for the unions, of course the Spivs and French clubs won't be happy because it's taking revenue away from them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:15 pm 

hermie wrote:

I'm again it

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:17 pm 

irishrugbyua wrote:

Tingle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:38 pm 

That scar under his eye still makes him look like a psycho. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:33 pm 

hermie wrote:

I think it's a decent way to get a few bob back into the coffers and will give me a few weekends in the pub watching wall to wall international rugby, in other words, I love it as much as a fat kid loves supermacs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:46 pm 

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
hermie wrote:

I think it's a decent way to get a few bob back into the coffers and will give me a few weekends in the pub watching wall to wall international rugby, in other words, I love it as much as a fat kid loves supermacs.

This.
Given the complete lack of sport on TV and us all having put in big shifts watching shite box sets with the wives, the carnival of rugby coming in a month’s time is mouthwatering.

Its like being on a no carb diet for 11.5 months of the year then suddenly its the 15th December and you are out eating and drinking the face off yourself for the foreseeable future, and waking up on your first day back to work in January with gout. Still worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:51 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:

Tingle

Should he not have a huge strap on his knee and a ring around it like you would have in the pool?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:11 pm 

League is shite.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:14 pm 

I don’t want to face Japan again.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:12 am 

anyone have a fixture list for the second half of the year? just irish or international would be good

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:16 am 

FravBront wrote:
anyone have a fixture list for the second half of the year? just irish or international would be good

From the IT :

Quote:
How the 2020 end-of-year fixture list is shaping up
Friday, August 21st: Pro14 Round 14 – Benetton Rugby v Zebre, Stadio Monigo, Treviso (8pm local time/7pm Irish)

Saturday, August 22nd: Pro14 Round 14 – Scarlets v Cardiff Blues, Parc y Scarlets (3pm); Edinburgh v Glasgow Warriors, Murrayfield (5.15pm); Leinster v Munster, Aviva Stadium (7.35pm)

Sunday, August 23rd: Pro14 Round 14 – Ospreys v Dragons, Liberty Stadium (2.15pm); Connacht v Ulster, Aviva Stadium

Friday, August 28th: Pro14 Round 15 – Glasgow Warriors v Edinburgh, Murrayfield (7.35pm)

Saturday, August 29th: Pro14 Round 15 – Dragons v Scarlets, Rodney Parade (3.15pm); Ulster v Leinster, Aviva Stadium (7.35pm)

Sunday, August 30th: Pro14 Round 15 – Munster v Connacht, Aviva Stadium (3pm); Cardiff Blues v Ospreys, Rodney Parade (5pm); Zebre v Benetton Rugby, Stadio Lanfranchi (8pm local time/7pm Irish)

September 4th/5th/6th: Pro14 semi-finals

Saturday, September 12th: Pro14 final

Saturday, September 19th: Champions Cup quarter-finals – Leinster v Saracens, Aviva Stadium (3pm); ASM Clermont Auvergne v Racing 92, Stade Marcel-Michelin (6.30pm local time/5.30pm Irish)

Sunday, September 20th: Champions Cup quarter-finals – Toulouse v Ulster, Le Stadium (1.30pm local time/12.30pm Irish); Exeter Chiefs v Northampton Saints, Sandy Park (5.30pm)

September 25th/26th/27th: Champions Cup semi-finals

October 2nd/3rd/4th: 2020-21 Pro14 first round

October 9th/10th/11th: 2020-21 Pro14 second round

October 16th/17th/18th: Champions Cup final (venue TBC)

Saturday, October 24th: 2020 Six Nations – Ireland v Italy, Aviva Stadium. Premiership final, Twickenham

Sunday, October 25th: England v Barbarians, Twickenham

Saturday, October 31st: 2020 Six Nations – Wales v Scotland (TBA); Italy v England, Stadio Olimpico; France v Ireland, Stade de France

November 7th-8th: International rest week

November 7th-December 12th: Rugby Championship (New Zealand, Australia, South Africa and Argentina) to be held in New Zealand

November 14th/15th: Ireland v Wales, Aviva Stadium (TBC)

November 21st/22nd: England v Ireland, Twickenham (TBC)

November 28th/29th: Ireland v Fiji, Aviva Stadium (TBC)

Saturday, December 5th: Play-off match, Ireland v one of France/Italy/Scotland/Japan, Aviva Stadium

December 11th/12th/13th: First round of the 2020-21 Champions Cup

December 18th/19th/20th: Second round of the 2020-21

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:17 am 

I'll believe it when I see it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:41 pm 

Can't believe rugby starting back is still 3 weeks away. It seems like an inordinately long time. All the players are healthy and regularly tested. And then they are going to try to shove a crazy amount of games into a short window once it does return, while cases may well have creeped back up by then. Mostly I just hate the wait but also it could prove to be a silly strategy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:01 pm 

10 years ago today, first game in the Aviva. 68-0.

Leinster/Ulster team
15. Sam Coghlan Murray (Leinster)
14. Craig Gilroy (Ulster)
13. Alex Kelly (Leinster)
12. Luke Marshall (Ulster) Captain
11. Andrew Boyle (Leinster)
10. Paddy Jackson (Ulster)
9. Peter du Toit (Leinster)
1. James Tracy (Leinster)
2. Jonny Murphy (Ulster)
3. Martin Moore (Leinster)
4. Iain Henderson (Ulster)
5. Robert Hynes (Leinster)
6. Steven Lecky (Ulster)
7. Mark McGroarty (Leinster)
8. David McGuigan (Ulster)
Replacements
16. Paddy Carroll (Leinster)
17. Andy Warrick (Ulster)
18. Mark Fallon (Leinster)
19. Paddy Marks (Ulster)
20. Conor Spence (Ulster)
21. Cathal Marsh (Leinster)
22. Michael McAuley (Ulster)

Connacht/Munster
15. Callum Boland (Connacht)
14. Tadhg Leader (Connacht)
13. Daniel Horgan (Munster)
12. Ben Sargent (Munster)
11. Shane Leydon (Connacht)
10. Johnny Holland (Munster)
9. Mark Dolan (Connacht) Captain
1. Aaron Spring (Connacht)
2. Kieran Stokes (Munster)
3. Paul Mullen (Munster)
4. Rob O’Herlihy (Munster)
5. David O’Mahony (Munster)
6. Shane Buckley (Munster)
7. Aaron Conneely (Connacht
8. Danny Qualter (Connacht)
Replacements
16. James Rael (Munster)
17. Sean Wooton (Connacht)
18. Ian Mullarkey (Munster)
19. David Heffernan (Connacht)
20. Ronan Barry (Munster)
21. Gareth Quinn-McDonogh (Munster)
22. Jack Costigan (Munster)
23. Cathal Quinn (Munster)

Lots of future internationals in the Leinster/Ulster team, none for Connacht/Munster? Johnny Holland is the only Munster player I recognise.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 424881 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10614, 10615, 10616, 10617, 10618, 10619, 10620 ... 10623  Next