The Official Irish Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
Leinsterman

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Leinsterman »

Doris has a great ability to keep his arms free when he's being tackled. Makes a huge difference in terms of offloads or ability to place the ball as quickly as possible when he's tackled and speeds up our rucks.
irishrugbyua

Post by irishrugbyua »

Leinster rumoured to play Dragons(Home/Oct 3rd weekend) and Benetton(Away/Oct. 10th weekend) to start pro 14.
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

irishrugbyua wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:03 pm Leinster rumoured to play Dragons(Home/Oct 3rd weekend) and Benetton(Away/Oct. 10th weekend) to start pro 14.
The WOL article where I read that also suggested that the Cheetahs and Kings would still be involved next season but would only join the league in March . I’ve no idea how that would work
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Bring back Deegan for the craic.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

HighKingLeinster wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:30 pm
Floppykid wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:28 pm
hermie wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:02 pm
DOB wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:09 pm
irishrugbyua wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:57 pm

wouldnt be surprised if he moved on as he is out of contract in june 2021, turns 30 in november and has fallen down the pecking order.
Ruddock's been very good for us any time I've seen him in the last 12-18 months. It'd be harsh to let him go, but there's suddenly a rake of lads coming through in his position.

It would be careless to release Ruddock, and then have Leavy break in his first game of the 2021 season.
Part of the problem with Ruddock is that he was great as a tight carrier when we basically had Healy and nobody else offering much in that regard. Now most of the tight 5 are more than capable so he's probably being asked to reinvent himself a little bit. He's got a great engine but unfortunately for him so do most of his competitors. Still an excellent player mind.
They tried Deegan in his place and it was not good, against Treviso I believe.

I still maintain he was left in the cold for no reason that seemed fair by both Schmidt and Farrell in the 2018-2019 seasons.
because you know better than both of them :thumbup:
Sure don't we all.
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

Luckycharmer wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:51 pm
Floppykid wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:30 pm
Luckycharmer wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:17 pm
Floppykid wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:05 pm
Porter's earned his shot to start a big one.
Nervous for him, but even if he has a tough day it'll be a good learning experience.

If BOTH our scrum and lineout turn to shit, Leinster are in serious trouble though.
Mako isn't known for his scrummaging, reckon porter will be fine there. We need to sort out our lineout especially against Itoje.
Will connors in to chop Billy/Mako.
Agreed, it'll be interesting to see if Fardy or Toner is started with Ryan.
Get more grunt around the pitch with Fardy but Toner may give more security at the lineout.

I would have said start Ruddock for his leadership and work from 6 but Doris seems to be suited to both.
Ruddock doesn't seem to be in the reckoning at all these days, wonder will he look to move next season if stays the same. Reckon it will be Toner for the Lineout with Fardy on the bench, how long more is he contracted for?
He was listed as only hack from injury for the first Ulster game. Featured in every hard HEC game and did Trojan work with tight carries.
irishrugbyua

Post by irishrugbyua »

Why Munster must move heaven and earth to bring back Zebo - Ruaidhri O'Connor
After being criminally underused in 2015 and missing out on 2019, dangling the carrot of the 2023 World Cup in France would surely help convince Zebo to give it a crack. He'll be 33 when that tournament rolls around - it's his last chance.

Whatever about Ireland, Munster should really be moving heaven and earth to bring Zebo home.

Munster are not in a position to turn their nose up at a fan-favourite of his experience, talent and match-winning ability who remains their all-time highest try scorer.

Zebo will retire a star no matter what he chooses to do, but his legacy will be defined by his next move.

Munster should make a compelling case for a hero's return.
:lol:
Last edited by irishrugbyua on Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

irishrugbyua wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:31 am Why Munster must move heaven and earth to bring back Zebo - Ruaidhri O'Connor

They probably will and all.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

irishrugbyua wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:31 am Why Munster must move heaven and earth to bring back Zebo - Ruaidhri O'Connor
After being criminally underused in 2015 and missing out on 2019, dangling the carrot of the 2023 World Cup in France would surely help convince Zebo to give it a crack. He'll be 33 when that tournament rolls around - it's his last chance.

Whatever about Ireland, Munster should really be moving heaven and earth to bring Zebo home.

Munster are not in a position to turn their nose up at a fan-favourite of his experience, talent and match-winning ability who remains their all-time highest try scorer.

Zebo will retire a star no matter what he chooses to do, but his legacy will be defined by his next move.

Munster should make a compelling case for a hero's return.
Yeah just what they need.

An aging winger
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

And so it begins.

FFS you could have a Jonah/Howlett/Habana hybrid on the wing for Munster and he’d be f**k all use if you just boot the ball away all game or give it to DDA or Farrell to bosh it up.

Their back 3 is already probably their strongest unit on the field. Adding Zebo will make no difference.

Bringing back Donnacha Ryan (if he’s still got it and isn’t too old at this stage) would be a much better shout.
irishrugbyua

Post by irishrugbyua »

Sounds like Furlong may return this weekend.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Furlong back scrummaging in training according to the42. You'd think he's in line for the bench if so. Bent has done a good job but Furlong on the bench would be a huge boost.
HighKingLeinster

Post by HighKingLeinster »

Connacht appoint a bird as CEO :lol:

As if they werent already a total joke of a province. Did they learn nothing from the Australian Rugby Union fiasco
hermie

Post by hermie »

Tough one on Furlong. Far from ideal that this would be his first game back and you'd want to be fairly sure that it's not too much of a risk given the injury (any other opponent I'm sure he wouldn't play). Also Bent has done nothing wrong.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Surprised that it's ROC making that argument. Didn't think he was a fanboi.

Probably just trolling for traction.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

I'm nervous about this.

Defence aside we are not firing on all cylinders
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

BIggest game since the final. If we win, it'll be by less than a score. Nervous too.

I do imagine that there's a massive amount of focus on this specific game within the squad as a whole.
jezzer

Post by jezzer »

Mullet 2 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:40 am I'm nervous about this.

Defence aside we are not firing on all cylinders
There was like a 10 min spell in the second half where we cut Ulster open like fresh mackerel off the jig. We played with some depth, width and Byrne really flashed at bringing runners into gaps. Other than that, it's the same shite mix of one outs and ultra flat backline that's been killing our attack since we restarted.
rialtoblue

Post by rialtoblue »

Nolanator wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:42 am BIggest game since the final. If we win, it'll be by less than a score. Nervous too.

I do imagine that there's a massive amount of focus on this specific game within the squad as a whole.
That runs both ways though, this is Saracens season and a chance to stick the finger to the Premiership etc.

Whats the Saracens likely team?

Vunipola at 10?
irishrugbyua

Post by irishrugbyua »

very nervous but nothing new there. :lol:

a loss would be a huge gut punch and the season would overall be a big disappointment despite going unbeaten in pro 14.
irishrugbyua

Post by irishrugbyua »

rialtoblue wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:03 pm
Nolanator wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:42 am BIggest game since the final. If we win, it'll be by less than a score. Nervous too.

That runs both ways though, this is Saracens season and a chance to stick the finger to the Premiership etc.

Vunipola at 10?
1. Vunipola or Barrington
2. George
3. Koch
4. Itoje
5. Swinson
6. Rhodes
7. Wray
8. Vunipola
9. Wigglesworth
10. Goode or Vunipola
11. Maitland
12. Barritt
13. Taylor or Daly
14. Lewington
15. Daly or Goode
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Still a very formidable team.
hermie

Post by hermie »

irishrugbyua wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:07 pm
rialtoblue wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:03 pm

Vunipola at 10?
1. Vunipola or Barrington
2. George
3. Koch
4. Itoje
5. Swinson
6. Rhodes
7. Wray
8. Vunipola
9. Wigglesworth
10. Goode or Vunipola
11. Maitland
12. Barritt
13. Taylor or Daly
14. Lewington
15. Daly or Goode
At a guess I think they'll start Barrington and bring Mako off the bench. The younger Vunipola will probably start with Daly in the centre and Goode at FB. Serious team, also very nervous. Leinster pack have been bullying opponents up to now but will really only be looking for parity on Saturday.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

So what are the odds that Leinster will look to allow some spectators into the match on Saturday now that the medium term plan has been published?
They could easily hold a lottery and email tickets to people and get it all sorted out pretty quickly I reckon.
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

As I said the other week I think Leinster will win although it will be a one-score game.

Leinster’s weakness is that they haven’t played too many competitive games compared to Sarries who had to slog it out in the group stages and are facing better teams in the GP than Leinster are in the Pro 14.

Expect the game to be won and lost at the set piece.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Jim Lahey wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:28 pm As I said the other week I think Leinster will win although it will be a one-score game.

Leinster’s weakness is that they haven’t played too many competitive games compared to Sarries who had to slog it out in the group stages and are facing better teams in the GP than Leinster are in the Pro 14.

Recently we've faced Munster twice and Ulster twice.
Sarries have played the dross in the GP so I don't quite think we can categorically say they've faced better teams recently anyway.
Wasps, Bath, Gloucester for example?
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

Leinsterman wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:39 pm
Jim Lahey wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:28 pm As I said the other week I think Leinster will win although it will be a one-score game.

Recently we've faced Munster twice and Ulster twice.
Sarries have played the dross in the GP so I don't quite think we can categorically say they've faced better teams recently anyway.
Wasps, Bath, Gloucester for example?
Sarries played Exeter's reserves/youth last weekend.
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

Yeah the GP has been a shit show since it came back. They’ve been playing midweek games so have had to rotate. The sarries Exeter teams last weekend were unrecognisable.
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

Think you're massively overstating the quality of the Premiership there.
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

Possibly.
But who would win in these match ups?

Glaws v Connacht
Bristol v Cardiff
Wasps v Embra
Quins v Cheetahs
Sale v Scarlets

Etc etc.

The midtable GP teams would win more than their fair share against the midtable Pro 14 sides imo. We have a serious amount of dross in our league.
irishrugbyua

Post by irishrugbyua »

Jim Lahey wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:11 pm Possibly.

Glaws v Connacht
Bristol v Cardiff
Wasps v Embra
Quins v Cheetahs
Sale v Scarlets

Etc etc.

The midtable GP teams would win more than their fair share against the midtable Pro 14 sides imo. We have a serious amount of dross in our league.
and so does the prem.
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

irishrugbyua wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:14 pm

Glaws v Connacht
Bristol v Cardiff
Wasps v Embra
Quins v Cheetahs
Sale v Scarlets

Etc etc.

and so does the prem.
I’m not disagreeing but I think their dross would beat our dross.
irishrugbyua

Post by irishrugbyua »

luckily for leinster since their return they've avoided the "dross" and played 4 games of decent standard.. certainly better standard than sarries have played recently IMO.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Leinsterman wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:27 pm So what are the odds that Leinster will look to allow some spectators into the match on Saturday now that the medium term plan has been published?
They could easily hold a lottery and email tickets to people and get it all sorted out pretty quickly I reckon.
How many signed up for their "Club Leinster" thing ? As tickets will be offered to them first.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Glaws v Connacht
Bristol v Cardiff
Wasps v Embra
Quins v Cheetahs
Sale v Scarlets

Etc etc.

The GP sides maybe but Leinster haven't played any of those Pro14 teams.
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

danthefan wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:31 pm

Glaws v Connacht
Bristol v Cardiff
Wasps v Embra
Quins v Cheetahs
Sale v Scarlets

Etc etc.

The GP sides maybe but Leinster haven't played any of those Pro14 teams.
My point was over the season as a whole. Leinster had a relatively easy group stage and steamrolled the entire league.

Sarries had tougher opposition pre-lockdown in the GP and a tough group stage.

Having said that Leinster have had the tougher post lockdown, even though I don’t think they’ve had to get out of 2nd gear at all.

All in all its a going to be close but I’d expect Leinster to win.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Leinsterman wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:27 pm So what are the odds that Leinster will look to allow some spectators into the match on Saturday now that the medium term plan has been published?
Family and friends will get a cut so that will leave fück all
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

irishrugbyua wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:18 pm luckily for leinster since their return they've avoided the "dross" and played 4 games of decent standard.. certainly better standard than sarries have played recently IMO.
I think some of that is true. Certainly 2 of Sarries recent matches were pointless like the Exeter one. I am not sure what first 15 player turned out for either team in that
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

EverReady wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:43 pm
Family and friends will get a cut so that will leave fück all
Yep, sponsors etc
You'd imagine they might have a lottery for 20-50 fans. Only superfans though.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

They will be so super they will make up for the other 18k losers at home