The Official Irish Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
irishrugbyua

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by irishrugbyua »

hermie wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:22 pm
Why not? Smith and Comerford can replace the two wings. No real fullback on the bench. Would be good to get a look at him there even if in a nothing game.
I just don't see it happening.. JOB moving to 15 looks more likely to me.. but we shall see what happens.
hermie

Post by hermie »

Hopefully they throw the game up somewhere last minute. Makes no sense not to show it.
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

hermie wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:13 pm
irishrugbyua wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:12 pm
hermie wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:02 pm
rfurlong wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:21 pm H Byrne and Frawley at 10 and 12 :nod:
Pity Frawley not at 15 although there doesn't appear to be any other 12s.
Hawkshaw.
Ah yes I see him now. Him and Turner could come on together in the centre in the 2nd half allowing Frawley a few mins at the back.
Or maybe they’re more keen on seeing him at 12 ?
irishrugbyua

Post by irishrugbyua »

hermie wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:27 pm Hopefully they throw the game up somewhere last minute. Makes no sense not to show it.
it also made very little sense when they didn't publish highlights previously but they still didn't do it.. i'd be very surprised if they streamed it.
hermie

Post by hermie »

Conspicuous wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:28 pm
rfurlong wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:21 pm H Byrne and Frawley at 10 and 12 :nod:
Hawkshaw.
Ah yes I see him now. Him and Turner could come on together in the centre in the 2nd half allowing Frawley a few mins at the back.
Could be of course. In the short term it makes sense. There aren't a lot of options there right now with Tomane following Reid out the door and COB injured. They're also pretty stubborn about Larmour being a fullback so it could well be their preference long term also. I think that's a mistake personally if so.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Time for Molony to have a look, lad is too good to be wasting away.
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

hermie wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:32 pm
Hawkshaw.
Could be of course. In the short term it makes sense. There aren't a lot of options there right now with Tomane following Reid out the door and COB injured. They're also pretty stubborn about Larmour being a fullback so it could well be their preference long term also. I think that's a mistake personally if so.
I’m not sure they’re being stubborn with Larmour, not yet anyway. I think he was always going to be starting at 15 for the block of games post lockdown given their importance and our other options for that position. Tbf most of us have lamented players being shifted around the backline so it’s not a bad thing that he’s been given the opportunity to make that position his own given his talent. If it is a case that they feel he’s not going to overcome his deficiencies and needs to be moved back to the wing then I’m sure they’re considering other options for full back . Failure to use Frawley in this position doesn’t necessarily mean they’re going to stick with Larmour long term
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

Mullet 2 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:50 pm Time for Molony to have a look, lad is too good to be wasting away.
Nucifora must be burning the ear off him about a move to another province
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

irishrugbyua wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:00 pm Ulster ‘A’ team to play Leinster ‘A’ at RDS Arena, Friday 25 September, kick-off 7pm:

(15-9) Ethan McIlroy, Craig Gilroy, Matt Faddes, Stewart Moore, Aaron Sexton, Bill Johnston, David Shanahan.

(1-8) Kyle McCall, Adam McBurney (Capt.), Gareth Milasinovich, David O’Connor, Kieran Treadwell, David McCann, Marcus Rea, Greg Jones.

Replacements from: Tom Stewart, Callum Reid, Ross Kane, Azur Allison, Reuben Crothers, Lewis Finlay, Bruce Houston, Conor Rankin, Hayden Hyde.
Good to see Sexton get a run out
Some of the young lads like mcilroy, Rankin and Crothers getting a game
Bogbunny

Post by Bogbunny »

Stewart Moore v Frawley at 12 should be a good one. :nod: :nod:
irishrugbyua

Post by irishrugbyua »

Mullet 2 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:50 pm Time for Molony to have a look, lad is too good to be wasting away.
a look where? being on the bench for this game hardly indicates his standing for the actual senior team.. Fardy and possibly Toner will be gone at the end of this upcoming season, he'd be crazy to leave after putting in so much time at leinster.
Last edited by irishrugbyua on Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
irishrugbyua

Post by irishrugbyua »

Conspicuous wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:55 pm
safe to assume thats happening with a lot of leinster players.
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

irishrugbyua wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:00 pm
Conspicuous wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:55 pm
safe to assume thats happening with a lot of leinster players.
Yep, of course . Not sure what’s going to happen with all our stocks at backrow, and more coming through the academy. One or two of them will surely have to move on next summer
irishrugbyua

Post by irishrugbyua »

Conspicuous wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:08 pm Yep, of course . Not sure what’s going to happen with all our stocks at backrow, and more coming through the academy. One or two of them will surely have to move on next summer
Yep.
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

irishrugbyua wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:59 pm
a look where? being on the bench for this game hardly indicates his standing for the actual senior team.. Fardy and possibly Toner will be gone at the end of this upcoming season, he'd be crazy to leave after putting in so much time at leinster.
You’d imagine the next few seasons should be his time given older players are moving on . Even if he’s not first choice he’ll get a lot more gametime with the 2 Ryan’s away with Ireland and under player management restrictions
hermie

Post by hermie »

Conspicuous wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:52 pm

Hawkshaw.
I’m not sure they’re being stubborn with Larmour, not yet anyway. I think he was always going to be starting at 15 for the block of games post lockdown given their importance and our other options for that position. Tbf most of us have lamented players being shifted around the backline so it’s not a bad thing that he’s been given the opportunity to make that position his own given his talent. If it is a case that they feel he’s not going to overcome his deficiencies and needs to be moved back to the wing then I’m sure they’re considering other options for full back . Failure to use Frawley in this position doesn’t necessarily mean they’re going to stick with Larmour long term
I don't think it was a fait accompli that he play these games, with Rob still around and Keenan in such good form. Putting Keenan on the wing shows a bit of stubborness in that regard. But look if they didn't see Carbery as a good option there and if they hadn't named Frawley to start a game there (an injury to Byrne meant he played 10 instead) we wouldn't be having this conversation.

His height would give him an obvious advantage over Larmour in the air for a start. That he has a better kicking game and would be better at bringing others into the game is probably beyond doubt. NZ are frequently ahead of the curve on these things and when you look at their teams they almost all have guys who can play 10 at 15 - the Barrett bros, McKenzie etc.
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

Matt Faddes is slowly but surely entering Rob Dewey territory as being a fixture in a conversation about Ulster’s worst import. Can we not give one of the academy lads his place for this game?

Also would have dropped Stockdale into the team to show him he needs to start giving a f**k about playing for Ulster again if he wants to play for the 1st team. The footage of him jogging and not busting a gut to keep up with Lowry after his break was pretty awful.
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

hermie wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:16 pm
Conspicuous wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:52 pm
I don't think it was a fait accompli that he play these games, with Rob still around and Keenan in such good form. Putting Keenan on the wing shows a bit of stubborness in that regard. But look if they didn't see Carbery as a good option there and if they hadn't named Frawley to start a game there (an injury to Byrne meant he played 10 instead) we wouldn't be having this conversation.

His height would give him an obvious advantage over Larmour in the air for a start. That he has a better kicking game and would be better at bringing others into the game is probably beyond doubt. NZ are frequently ahead of the curve on these things and when you look at their teams they almost all have guys who can play 10 at 15 - the Barrett bros, McKenzie etc.

I don’t disagree with any of that . The thing is though , the coaches see these guys in training every day , they’re pretty good at their jobs and haven’t really shown a stubbornness with moving players around before so I’d give them the benefit of the doubt on this one . Maybe Frawley will get opportunities at full back this season , or maybe they reckon he’s not cut out for the position despite appearing to us like he has the required skill set
hermie

Post by hermie »

Yeah true but I'd just find it curious if they don't at least have a look having wanted to in the past. You can't really say definitively without seeing in a match situation. What I'm worried about is that they back Larmour to the hilt at the expense of other options. Being light at 12 at the minute obviously doesn't help.
Luckycharmer

Post by Luckycharmer »

hermie wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:35 pm Yeah true but I'd just find it curious if they don't at least have a look having wanted to in the past. You can't really say definitively without seeing in a match situation. What I'm worried about is that they back Larmour to the hilt at the expense of other options. Being light at 12 at the minute obviously doesn't help.
Has Frawley even played much at fullback, is he quick enough, good under the high ball?
Reckon 12 could be his best position and will get lots of gametime there.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Luckycharmer wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:15 pm
hermie wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:35 pm Yeah true but I'd just find it curious if they don't at least have a look having wanted to in the past. You can't really say definitively without seeing in a match situation. What I'm worried about is that they back Larmour to the hilt at the expense of other options. Being light at 12 at the minute obviously doesn't help.
Has Frawley even played much at fullback, is he quick enough, good under the high ball?
In our desperation for a full back to replace Kearney everyone from Luke Fitzgerald on has been suggested at full back at some stage or another, doesn’t matter whether they’ve played there before or not
hermie

Post by hermie »

Well that's the whole point, we don't know. We know that they were looking at him there. Carbery hadn't played much at fullback until they picked him there. He had played 9 and 10 primarily until then. Frawley actually wasn't great at 12 for the 20s. Although he obviously looked good against Ulster recently. Primarily he's been FH of course. At 6'3 he'd have an obvious advantage over others under the high ball but again we just don't know. He's a good athlete, a good runner, good passer, good kicker. I think he could work well there.
Luckycharmer

Post by Luckycharmer »

hermie wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:03 pm
Well that's the whole point, we don't know. We know that they were looking at him there. Carbery hadn't played much at fullback until they picked him there. He had played 9 and 10 primarily until then. Frawley actually wasn't great at 12 for the 20s. Although he obviously looked good against Ulster recently. Primarily he's been FH of course. At 6'3 he'd have an obvious advantage over others under the high ball but again we just don't know. He's a good athlete, a good runner, good passer, good kicker. I think he could work well there.
Last thing we need is another Madigan/Paddy Wallace, didn't carberry play 15 a bit for the 20's. He also has quick feet along with the other attributes which suits being a fullback. Keenan can move to Fullback and has experience there.
Bar Henshaw we have no one else at 12, he could make this position his own as will get plenty of gametime there.
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

Paddy played 1 game of pro rugby at 12 at Ulster and none at 15 until he was at LI, not sure how he's comparable here.
hermie

Post by hermie »

Luckycharmer wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:18 pm
Last thing we need is another Madigan/Paddy Wallace, didn't carberry play 15 a bit for the 20's. He also has quick feet along with the other attributes which suits being a fullback. Keenan can move to Fullback and has experience there.
Bar Henshaw we have no one else at 12, he could make this position his own as will get plenty of gametime there.
Keenan is a fullback and they're not playing him there because Larmour. But COB is a very good young option at 12. ROL has proven himself there also. Not to mention Hawkshaw. It's about what's best for Frawley because he's too good to be caught in the bottleneck at 10. Personally I think he could be a better 15. You can disagree all you want but I'll not change my mind until I see him play there. Jordie Barrett is another one who can play 10, 12 and 15 but has settled as a fullback. Not too dissimilar a player.
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

Ah the coaches do usually have a good idea though. If a player has been tried in a different position several times in training and he’s really struggling with certain aspects of the game then it’s not going work out . I’m not saying this is the case with Frawley, but you don’t always need to try out a player at professional level to prove he can’t do a job he’s already failed at in training . On the other hand it could be just they think he’s better suited to 12 as an alternative position and that’s where Leinster need to look at other options right now . I wouldn’t overthink it too much , if he’s really a full back I’m sure he’ll find his way there
Luckycharmer

Post by Luckycharmer »

earl the beaver wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:25 pm Paddy played 1 game of pro rugby at 12 at Ulster and none at 15 until he was at LI, not sure how he's comparable here.
Paddy started the 02/03 season as Ulsters 1st choice fullback before breaking his leg, he lost his place then to Bryn Cunningham. He then played a few games there in the 03/04 season when Bryn including hammering Leicester in Ravenhill before having a complete shocker in the return fixture. He played a few more games there in 05/06. He moved to 12 in the 06/07 season reckon he if had moved their earlier he could got alot more caps, it was his best position.
earl the beaver

Luckycharmer wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:28 pm
earl the beaver wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:25 pm Paddy played 1 game of pro rugby at 12 at Ulster and none at 15 until he was at LI, not sure how he's comparable here.
Paddy started the 02/03 season as Ulsters 1st choice fullback before breaking his leg, he lost his place then to Bryn Cunningham. He then played a few games there in the 03/04 season when Bryn including hammering Leicester in Ravenhill before having a complete shocker in the return fixture. He played a few more games there in 05/06. He moved to 12 in the 06/07 season reckon he if had moved their earlier he could got alot more caps, it was his best position.
I read Jackson for some reason.
hermie

Post by hermie »

Let's be honest Paddy and Madigan were/are 10s who got shunted around a bit primarily because they frequently weren't solid enough in their primary position. Frawley's a bit different. While also primarily a 10 right he's probably big enough to play 12 and a good enough footballer to play 15 if he were to switch. I'd be worried that, much the same as Wallace, it would take a while for his defence to get to where it needs to be to play 12.
rfurlong

Post by rfurlong »

irishrugbyua wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:00 pm no sign of it being stream.
I'd pay to watch this
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Heard of a company who are looking to start filming and streaming select matches that aren't on the telly. The pricing if correct is sweet
earl the beaver

EverReady wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:19 pm Heard of a company who are looking to start filming and streaming select matches that aren't on the telly. The pricing if correct is sweet
Every Pro14 and NTHCSBH game is televised though, so that leaves A games, can't see a big market.
DOB

Post by DOB »

hermie wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:47 pm
Let's be honest Paddy and Madigan were/are 10s who got shunted around a bit primarily because they frequently weren't solid enough in their primary position. Frawley's a bit different. While also primarily a 10 right he's probably big enough to play 12 and a good enough footballer to play 15 if he were to switch. I'd be worried that, much the same as Wallace, it would take a while for his defence to get to where it needs to be to play 12.
They also got shunted around because there was an incumbent international 10 starting for the province ahead of them, hence both of them getting capped in their non-10 positions. Wallace was Ulster and Ireland's backup 10 while playing 12 for both.

(By the time Sexton went abroad, Madigan had "proven" that he was at least willing to play 12/15, so Gopperth played for Leinster as the out-and-out 10.)
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

DOB wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:50 pm
hermie wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:47 pm
They also got shunted around because there was an incumbent international 10 starting for the province ahead of them, hence both of them getting capped in their non-10 positions. Wallace was Ulster and Ireland's backup 10 while playing 12 for both.

(By the time Sexton went abroad, Madigan had "proven" that he was at least willing to play 12/15, so Gopperth played for Leinster as the out-and-out 10.)
MOCalypse, pure and simple, is the only reason.
rfurlong

Post by rfurlong »

earl the beaver wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:26 pm
EverReady wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:19 pm Heard of a company who are looking to start filming and streaming select matches that aren't on the telly. The pricing if correct is sweet
Every Pro14 and NTHCSBH game is televised though, so that leaves A games, can't see a big market.
There's a market for Leinster schools matches if premier sports are willing to pay for those rights ..... so I'd say there's a bigger market for Irish interprovincial A matches too .... especially as people can't attend in person and are starved of rugby 'product' these next couple of weeks ...
CM11

Post by CM11 »

To put those facts and figures into context, consider this: the only trophy Leinster have won in the professional era – minus Kearney – was the 2002 Celtic League.
https://www.the42.ie/rob-kearney-6-5214147-Sep2020/
DOB

Post by DOB »

CM11 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:14 pm
To put those facts and figures into context, consider this: the only trophy Leinster have won in the professional era – minus Kearney – was the 2002 Celtic League.
Tbf, you could have said the same when Fitz retired or SOB left, or even "never in the pro era" when Hickie, Girv, BOD, Shaggy, Darce, Mal, Heaslip all retired, and it'll be the same when Healy goes too. But the success looks likely to continue, which is the more important thing.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

DOB wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:22 pm
Tbf, you could have said the same when Fitz retired or SOB left, or even "never in the pro era" when Hickie, Girv, BOD, Shaggy, Darce, Mal, Heaslip all retired, and it'll be the same when Healy goes too. But the success looks likely to continue, which is the more important thing.
First choice for all of them. As were most of those you mention, tbf, but not SOB for example.
TheBouncer

Post by TheBouncer »

Fair play to Super Rob, even before the pandemic these guys weren't getting their due when finishing up. This one will be especially subdued but it's an incredible career.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

CM11 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:26 pm
DOB wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:22 pm
First choice for all of them. As were most of those you mention, tbf, but not SOB for example.
He benched in the final against Leicester and missed nearly the entire 10/11 season