Page 10864 of 11189

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:33 pm
by Leinsterman
There were so many times when we could have had them scrambling back if we had played a neat grubber in behind them but instead we just shovelled the ball sideways to a stationary player. Awful stuff.
It's like watching a shit version of Mungo but at least they kick after the 5th tackle x(

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:34 pm
by Hellraiser
I hope to God we don't have to play South Africa anytime soon because they'll fúcking murder us.

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:34 pm
by Bogbunny
shabadoo wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:23 pm
Jim Lahey wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:19 pm Your final point deserves more attention tbf.
We won 7-0 when he brought on the Ulster players.
Hendo looked good when he came on tbf. And Burns, who I have been shitting all over, played a brazillion times better than Byrne :thumbup:
I don't think even the most diehard Ulster fan thinks that King Billy is the answer for Ireland, or Ulster.

Total waste of a cap (or 2)

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:36 pm
by shabadoo
Trostan wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:25 pm
shabadoo wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:16 pm
Flametop wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:43 pm @ Shabba..Prozac is hellava drug.
Ah fuck all the gloomy bollox. We were not that bad - and we will improve.

England were/are a much more settled team - they had everything in their favour.

It is nowhere near as bad as people are making out.

I think we will be grand come 6N time.

Won the 2nd half and you are only as good as your last half - so technically we are already better than the cunts :thumbup:
England won because
They had 230 almost perfect tackles.
They humbled us with their physicality, aggression and defence.
As an attacking team, they are no better than us, except Farrell's Cross kicks are better.

We need some aggression and spite in the forwards back 5 and some creativity from 10 to 13
Agree with most of that. I'd add in our shite lineout too.

I'd say most of the time Keenan doesn't half slip and lose in the air to May, and most of the time May doesn't go the full length of the pitch and score his second. But that said, if England needed another score I think they would have been able to get it.

We have had far more soul destroying losses to England than today.

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:38 pm
by shabadoo
Bogbunny wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:34 pm
shabadoo wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:23 pm
Jim Lahey wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:19 pm Your final point deserves more attention tbf.
We won 7-0 when he brought on the Ulster players.
Hendo looked good when he came on tbf. And Burns, who I have been shitting all over, played a brazillion times better than Byrne :thumbup:
I don't think even the most diehard Ulster fan thinks that King Billy is the answer for Ireland, or Ulster.

Total waste of a cap (or 2)
Agreed unfortunately.

But who the fúck do you cap? Byrne sure as shit isn't up to it. And the rest are too young. We're fúcked for a while at 10 I think.

Should go the bergamasco route and just play a forward at 9 and 10(if Sexton is injured)👍

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:43 pm
by Mr. Very Popular
shabadoo wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:38 pm
Bogbunny wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:34 pm
shabadoo wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:23 pm
Jim Lahey wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:19 pm Your final point deserves more attention tbf.
We won 7-0 when he brought on the Ulster players.
Hendo looked good when he came on tbf. And Burns, who I have been shitting all over, played a brazillion times better than Byrne :thumbup:
I don't think even the most diehard Ulster fan thinks that King Billy is the answer for Ireland, or Ulster.

Total waste of a cap (or 2)
Agreed unfortunately.

But who the fúck do you cap? Byrne sure as shit isn't up to it. And the rest are too young. We're fúcked for a while at 10 I think.

Should go the bergamasco route and just play a forward at 9 and 10(if Sexton is injured)👍
They're not too young, Healy and Harry are the same age as DuPont, and he's done ok.

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:51 pm
by Jim Lahey
Yeah Sexton, R. Byrne or Billy Boy should not be starting next week. But we all know one of them will.

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:54 pm
by Willie Falloon
earl the beaver wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:00 pm For Georgia I'd drop Ryan, consider Hendy as captain. I'd retain Kelleher.

Healy
Kelleher
Bealham/Ryan
Henderson
Roux
Stander
Connors
Doris
Murray
Burns
Lowe
McCloskey (there's a reason he's not been released to Ulster this week or last, they've probably planned on a token cap here)
Farrell
Keet
Stockdale

Herring
Fúck knows, really don't rate Byrne
Porter
Ryan
VDF
Cooney (we can but dream)
Byrne
Keenan
Farrell is not a 13, never has been. He was always a 12 at Ulster, then somehow became a 13 in France. Hasn't the acceleration or burst of speed, nor does he have the vision or hands to put his winger away.

Ireland badly need a new centre to join the current 4 or 5, I hope one of Moore or Hume keep improving, they certainly have the skill level to better the current crop, whether or not they are as good defensively remains to be seen.

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:56 pm
by DeDoc
A couple of observations. This England team are not amazing, but they do some things exceptionally well. They're fit, physical, very aggressive and very cute in the way they play on the edge, and tailor that to the blind spots/whims of each referee. They have a couple of world class players, a decent amount of good internationals, and pretty much anyone in their team has some aspects of their game that are top drawer.

But they've pretty much figured us out two/three years ago, and we haven't adapted.
They fcuk with our primary posession, by competing hard at the lineout (not always legally) and likewise at the scrum. So often we are trying to generate go forward from shite ball, and that is what their whole setup and game plan is based around. They further know that 10 is the centre of our game - we don't have another playmaker, so push hard on that and you have removed our main other option.

I see some positive signs - there was plenty of heart on show there, and there have been signs that we are trying to evolve our game to play more off 9 occasionally and to vary our options off 10. Dropping Murray (who I thought was ok when he came on to be fair) and lighting a fire under POM have been good. He's also brought on a few young lads like Connors, Kelleher, Keenan and had others involved in squads like Daly, O'Toole etc.

But some stuff worries me - our lineout and mauling is worse. Our scrum is getting messed with more and more often. Our breakdown work (perhaps new laws playing a part) is a lot less precise. Our kick-chase and backing up of our kick-receivers is noticeably worse that it was under Schmidt. Our passing seems to have disimproved - perhaps personnel related. Also, we have a few players who looked particularly out on their feet. I love James Lowe at Leinster level, but he looks to be carrying a bit too much timber to be effective over a full game against some of the best teams

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:04 pm
by Winnie
EverReady wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:47 pm
earl the beaver wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:38 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:32 pm
EverReady wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:29 pm England have better players in nearly every position so the coaching doesn't make a huge difference.
I don’t buy that at all. Japan beat us at the World Cup because we were badly coached and they were very well coached. There is no excuse for Ireland losing so many lineouts today, for Lowe (who rarely kicks) panick kicking away every ball he got today etc etc
Japan have gamebreakers though, their wingers are genuine threats from anywhere and they have powerful and pacy carriers in the backrow (their backrow made 138m, compared to 43 from us), sure we might have on average better players but we are lacking game breakers, which is why we need Stockdale in the team somewhere and we need to hope someone like Coombs continues to smash through people as he moves up the levels in the backrow.
Stockdale has been shite. Why would he make any difference. Coming off the bench today he was a bit hungry so.maybe see how that goes. Overall and as many of us said a good while ago this is just a fallow few years ahead. We'll give Wales and Scotland a rattle and hide behind the couch for everybody else
Stockdale has been very poor defensively
Going forward he is still our most dangerous back 3 player

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:05 pm
by Willie Falloon
Trostan wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:25 pm
shabadoo wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:16 pm
Flametop wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:43 pm @ Shabba..Prozac is hellava drug.
Ah fuck all the gloomy bollox. We were not that bad - and we will improve.

England were/are a much more settled team - they had everything in their favour.

It is nowhere near as bad as people are making out.

I think we will be grand come 6N time.

Won the 2nd half and you are only as good as your last half - so technically we are already better than the cunts :thumbup:
England won because
They had 230 almost perfect tackles.
They humbled us with their physicality, aggression and defence.
As an attacking team, they are no better than us, except Farrell's Cross kicks are better.

We need some aggression and spite in the forwards back 5 and some creativity from 10 to 13
They had perfect tackles because Ireland kept running into them, rarely, if ever (aside from the try) did Irelands attack make England think, they just seen a white jersey and tried to run over him. x(

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:10 pm
by Bogbunny
Willie Falloon wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:05 pm
Trostan wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:25 pm
shabadoo wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:16 pm
Flametop wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:43 pm @ Shabba..Prozac is hellava drug.
Ah fuck all the gloomy bollox. We were not that bad - and we will improve.

England were/are a much more settled team - they had everything in their favour.

It is nowhere near as bad as people are making out.

I think we will be grand come 6N time.

Won the 2nd half and you are only as good as your last half - so technically we are already better than the cunts :thumbup:
England won because
They had 230 almost perfect tackles.
They humbled us with their physicality, aggression and defence.
As an attacking team, they are no better than us, except Farrell's Cross kicks are better.

We need some aggression and spite in the forwards back 5 and some creativity from 10 to 13
They had perfect tackles because Ireland kept running into them, rarely, if ever (aside from the try) did Irelands attack make England think, they just seen a white jersey and tried to run over him. x(
The better teams recently Argies, England, & Saffa WC final will tackle all match and barely miss a single one. Bludgeoning through them isn't an option. Even after 20 phases of retention the gaps just aren't coming in their defence. We have to evolve a different approach.

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:11 pm
by Winnie
hermie wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:24 pm
earl the beaver wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:22 pm Everything thrown at him?
Solid, certainly in comparison to Stockdale
Nonsense
Stockdale has as many negatives against France as Keenan had today
Stockdale has 4 times the positives against France as Keenan had today

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:11 pm
by Winnie
Flametop wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:26 pm Keenan had a 9/10 performance compared to Stockdale’s last effort starting at 15.

Other than that Keenan was about a 6.
That’s complete bollocks

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:13 pm
by camroc1
feckwanker wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:01 pm Also, despite his non- grounding of the ball, I thought Farrell was a great source of go forward ball all day. We could play much better if we get lads running off his shoulder when he's punching holes in defences.
Oh, I agree . You don't pick Farrell and then attempt to play a passing game.

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:15 pm
by Willie Falloon
Winnie wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:11 pm
hermie wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:24 pm
earl the beaver wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:22 pm Everything thrown at him?
Solid, certainly in comparison to Stockdale
Nonsense
Stockdale has as many negatives against France as Keenan had today
Stockdale has 4 times the positives against France as Keenan had today
Keenan done fudge all in attack, he made an error that led to a try, albeit a very good try.

Lets put it this way, I know who I'd rather have lining out at FB or wing for Ulster and it aint Keenan. :nod:

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:19 pm
by Bogbunny
Willie Falloon wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:15 pm
Winnie wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:11 pm
hermie wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:24 pm
earl the beaver wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:22 pm Everything thrown at him?
Solid, certainly in comparison to Stockdale
Nonsense
Stockdale has as many negatives against France as Keenan had today
Stockdale has 4 times the positives against France as Keenan had today
Keenan done fudge all in attack, he made an error that led to a try, albeit a very good try.

Lets put it this way, I know who I'd rather have lining out at FB or wing for Ulster and it aint Keenan. :nod:
Keenan would be pushed to make the top 6 Ulster back 3 players ATM

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:22 pm
by Willie Falloon
Bogbunny wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:19 pm
Willie Falloon wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:15 pm
Winnie wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:11 pm
hermie wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:24 pm
earl the beaver wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:22 pm Everything thrown at him?
Solid, certainly in comparison to Stockdale
Nonsense
Stockdale has as many negatives against France as Keenan had today
Stockdale has 4 times the positives against France as Keenan had today
Keenan done fudge all in attack, he made an error that led to a try, albeit a very good try.

Lets put it this way, I know who I'd rather have lining out at FB or wing for Ulster and it aint Keenan. :nod:
Keenan would be pushed to make the top 6 Ulster back 3 players ATM
11.Balacoune
14.Stockdale
15. Addison

He is a similar level to Lyttle and Lowry has more in attack. Faddes is good in attack, but I still don't think he has played to his full potential. He was very good for the Highlanders, lightning quick.

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:39 pm
by Salanya
Keenan did well, especially considering it was his third cap.
Stockdale may have a higher ceiling in attack, but keenan is more rounded and suited to fullback.
Stockdale should stick to the wing, good to see him bouncing back today.

I thought all back 3 players did well today, especially as little ball or space was given to them by Byrne, Aki or Farrell.

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:41 pm
by Risteard
Stepping away from the Irish team at the moment, anyone involved in clubs at the moment, how are ye finding things?

Imagine it's the same everywhere in terms of tightening of funds and trying to fundraise, curious as to what others are doing considering what I'd imagine is a major source of income, the club bar, being shut off as well as potentially reduced intake from more traditional fundraising as people not meeting others in person.

Difficult times, notwithstanding the uncertainty around playing. We got about three games under our belt with games being suspended just as the league was about to start.

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:41 pm
by Mullet 2
Tough aul watch that, who are we blaming?

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:42 pm
by Mullet 2
Ah never mind I see the Nordies have settled on the only positional fullback we have.

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:43 pm
by nardol
The English?

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:43 pm
by Conspicuous
Mullet 2 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:41 pm Tough aul watch that, who are we blaming?
Your infested waters

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:44 pm
by Flametop
Mullet 2 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:42 pm Ah never mind I see the Nordies have settled on the only positional fullback we have.
Some seem a little too happy with the result alright.

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:44 pm
by Winnie
Mullet 2 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:41 pm Tough aul watch that, who are we blaming?
Farrell

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:46 pm
by Mullet 2
Winnie wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:44 pm
Mullet 2 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:41 pm Tough aul watch that, who are we blaming?
Farrell
Two for one.

I like it.

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:47 pm
by Mullet 2
I'm sure it has been done to death but can anybody tell me why you pick two lumps with bad hands in the centre and then play deep?

Like I could see the logic in his selection and then the tactics were bananas

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:50 pm
by Flametop
If they had lined up deep but hit the line hard onto a flat pass that would have made sense. But yes, we shipped the ball onto a static player 15m behind the gainline who was lined up to get smashed. Made no sense in the first 10 minutes, far less in the 70th.

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:50 pm
by feckwanker
The horrible thing about this match was at no point throughout it did it ever look like the lads thought "We can win this" or "We should be ahead". It reminds me of the players mentality of when they used to face the AIG (tm) Adidas (C) New Zealand All Blacks years ago. They were beaten before they got on to the pitch.

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:52 pm
by Leinsterman
Risteard wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:41 pm Stepping away from the Irish team at the moment, anyone involved in clubs at the moment, how are ye finding things?

Imagine it's the same everywhere in terms of tightening of funds and trying to fundraise, curious as to what others are doing considering what I'd imagine is a major source of income, the club bar, being shut off as well as potentially reduced intake from more traditional fundraising as people not meeting others in person.

Difficult times, notwithstanding the uncertainty around playing. We got about three games under our belt with games being suspended just as the league was about to start.
We're ok for this season. Still taking in subs and no IRFU insurance or pitch rent to pay at the moment so the bank balance isn't dwindling too much.
Still scratching our heads because the usual fund raisers like pub quizzes are impossible to do at the moment but we have an idea or two to raise funds for specific equipment.
I reckon we'll be fine but I can see how bigger clubs are in big trouble.

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:53 pm
by feckwanker
Mullet 2 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:47 pm I'm sure it has been done to death but can anybody tell me why you pick two lumps with bad hands in the centre and then play deep?

Like I could see the logic in his selection and then the tactics were bananas
Doesn't help when their OH is standing as deep as them.

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:53 pm
by Mullet 2
I was struck by a moment toward the end.

Far side and there is a mismatch when Ross calls for the ball and the English lads essentially left him unmarked like you do a cabbage in touch rugby and sprinted wide. Gap opened up a mile wide and he duly threw the pass.

It was like the first half of the Bourbon Bowl

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:54 pm
by Winnie
feckwanker wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:50 pm The horrible thing about this match was at no point throughout it did it ever look like the lads thought "We can win this" or "We should be ahead". It reminds me of the players mentality of when they used to face the AIG (tm) Adidas (C) New Zealand All Blacks years ago. They were beaten before they got on to the pitch.
I think this came from the captain
Ryan looked a beaten man from the start

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:54 pm
by Mullet 2
feckwanker wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:53 pm
Mullet 2 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:47 pm I'm sure it has been done to death but can anybody tell me why you pick two lumps with bad hands in the centre and then play deep?

Like I could see the logic in his selection and then the tactics were bananas
Doesn't help when their OH is standing as deep as them.
The dude was pretty bad but if you seriously think Byrne decides where he is lining up I suggest you remember this is an international not Metro 11

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:55 pm
by Mullet 2
Winnie wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:54 pm
feckwanker wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:50 pm The horrible thing about this match was at no point throughout it did it ever look like the lads thought "We can win this" or "We should be ahead". It reminds me of the players mentality of when they used to face the AIG (tm) Adidas (C) New Zealand All Blacks years ago. They were beaten before they got on to the pitch.

I think this came from the captain
Ryan looked a beaten man from the start

:lol: :lol:

Winnie in heaven

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:55 pm
by Bogbunny
Mullet 2 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:47 pm I'm sure it has been done to death but can anybody tell me why you pick two lumps with bad hands in the centre and then play deep?

Like I could see the logic in his selection and then the tactics were bananas
I think we all need another two large drinks and then answer this.

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:55 pm
by Willie Falloon
Mullet 2 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:47 pm I'm sure it has been done to death but can anybody tell me why you pick two lumps with bad hands in the centre and then play deep?

Like I could see the logic in his selection and then the tactics were bananas
Farrell and Catt don't give a shit.

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:56 pm
by Trostan
shabadoo wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:38 pm
Bogbunny wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:34 pm
shabadoo wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:23 pm
Jim Lahey wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:19 pm Your final point deserves more attention tbf.
We won 7-0 when he brought on the Ulster players.
Hendo looked good when he came on tbf. And Burns, who I have been shitting all over, played a brazillion times better than Byrne :thumbup:
I don't think even the most diehard Ulster fan thinks that King Billy is the answer for Ireland, or Ulster.

Total waste of a cap (or 2)
Agreed unfortunately.

But who the fúck do you cap? Byrne sure as shit isn't up to it. And the rest are too young. We're fúcked for a while at 10 I think.

Should go the bergamasco route and just play a forward at 9 and 10(if Sexton is injured)👍
Is yer man Oscar Pretorius still in jail.
Maybe get his blades and stick them on Carbery?

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:57 pm
by Mullet 2
Twice at the end Murray passed flat to Farrell and both times he punched a hole over the gainline.

Like that is really basic stuff.

Big lad, play flay. Like really basic.