The Official Irish Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
User avatar
Mullet 2
Posts: 28825
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Mullet 2 »

Caelan makes one tackle and it's all smilies from jumper
CJ makes one tackle and Jumper blames....Doris

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I increasingly believe you are the type of lad who hangs out in a warhammer shop wearing ironic t-shirts
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 59530
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by CM11 »

Where are you guys seeing the stats?
Jumper
Posts: 6088
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:24 pm

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Jumper »

Mullet 2 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:01 pm Caelan makes one tackle and it's all smilies from jumper
CJ makes one tackle and Jumper blames....Doris

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I increasingly believe you are the type of lad who hangs out in a warhammer shop wearing ironic t-shirts
I mentioned Doris' tackle count to highlight the level of hypocrisy on the board.

CJ was poor. Although a low tackle count where we had like 70% possession isn't ridiculous.
User avatar
Mr. Very Popular
Posts: 20174
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

Duff Paddy wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:10 pm
Jim Lahey wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:15 am What’s Faz’s scope like to bring in lads to the squad given the rules around covid bubbles etc.?
We really need H. Byrne, Casey, Frawley and a few others to shake things up.
Killer
Kelleher
Porter
Ryan (captain)
Baird
Doris
Connors
Coombes
Casey
Harry Byrne with Healy on at half time
Frawley
fudge knows
Lowe
Stockdale
JOB


For Georgia would at least show a coach who realises that we need to fundamentally rebuild the team

Killer is recovering from an op, otherwise he'd be in camp.
Lowe at 13 is interesting, did he drop into the 10/12 channel at all yesterday?
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 36594
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Duff Paddy »

crouchy wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:49 pm
Mullet 2 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:47 pm I'm sure it has been done to death but can anybody tell me why you pick two lumps with bad hands in the centre and then play deep?

Like I could see the logic in his selection and then the tactics were bananas
Bang on the money Mullet. 10, 12, 13 was properly rubbish.

Thought Keenan had a good game at 15.
They played deep because they were terrified that Byrne would get hunted down by Itoje. The plan was to try to nullify their fantastic defence by playing deep and kicking everything.
User avatar
Conspicuous
Posts: 7018
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Conspicuous »

CM11 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:01 pm Where are you guys seeing the stats?
http://stats.espnscrum.com/scrum/rugby/ ... 06414.html
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 36594
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Duff Paddy »

Jumper wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:33 pm
Conspicuous wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:31 pm
Mullet 2 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:17 pm
redderneck wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:38 am I am not going to put myself through watching that game again, but would be interested to know CJ’s stats. Although they never tell the full story- you need Murray K’ s fullbore ruck involvements, positive etc for a better snapshot.

Don’t think I heard his name once. Struggling to recall him being on the ball. Albeit I was watching Ch4 and having to listen to Nolly whatserface doing a Meg Ryan impression anytime Itoje raised an eyebrow. Spent the second half wishing Fla’ would just fcuk his media career away by asking her if she’d managed to find her g-spot yet.

Was he just buried in the donkey shit of having to support his front five or was he just having a ‘mare? He is the most consistent forward in the country generally. Odd one.
CJ had one tackle and 5 carries
ESPN have him down for

5 carries for 3 metres
2 tackles 0 missed
1 lineout taken
0 penalties conceded

It’s all a bit weird given he’s usually one of the most industrious players on the team . They’re the type of stats you’d expect from him if he was taken off well before half time. Almost completely anonymous rather than trying but being ineffective
CJ was very very quiet. Doris was taking on much of CJ's role, and he is too lightweight to be any where near as effective at it.

POM and maybe Porter are the only forwards to come out of the game with any credit.
POM :lol: spent half the game on the wing when his pack are getting beasted - we don’t have a strong enough pack to carry an “elite support forward” you complete lunatic
User avatar
Mr. Very Popular
Posts: 20174
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

CM11 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:01 pm Where are you guys seeing the stats?
Rugby pass have them as well, though they have PoM down for 4, and that's just mad stuff.
User avatar
YOYO
Posts: 17292
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:44 pm

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by YOYO »

Keenan played well but his bar isn’t much more than what he played yesterday. The plus for him is consistently. He wasn’t good on May’s first try. Rob Kearney would have sorted that out no bother.
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 59530
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by CM11 »

Conspicuous wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:33 pm
CM11 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:01 pm Where are you guys seeing the stats?
http://stats.espnscrum.com/scrum/rugby/ ... 06414.html
Cheers. Not linked to that on going via their fixtures. Found some on the Irish site too which includes turnovers won.

Just shows you when the MOM does literally nothing in attack how this game was won.
User avatar
Mullet 2
Posts: 28825
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Mullet 2 »

Duff Paddy wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:31 pm
crouchy wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:49 pm
Mullet 2 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:47 pm I'm sure it has been done to death but can anybody tell me why you pick two lumps with bad hands in the centre and then play deep?

Like I could see the logic in his selection and then the tactics were bananas
Bang on the money Mullet. 10, 12, 13 was properly rubbish.

Thought Keenan had a good game at 15.
They played deep because they were terrified that Byrne would get hunted down by Itoje. The plan was to try to nullify their fantastic defence by playing deep and kicking everything.
Then you pick different centres

There is no way to slice it that makes it not awful coaching.
Monk Zombie
Posts: 4459
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Monk Zombie »

Duff Paddy wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:34 pm POM :lol: spent half the game on the wing when his pack are getting beasted - we don’t have a strong enough pack to carry an “elite support forward” you complete lunatic
yebo
User avatar
earl the beaver
Posts: 51003
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by earl the beaver »

I wonder if TOT could get called up for next weekend if he comes through tonight's come back okay.

He'd certainly give some impact off the bench at TH and you'd imagine he'd have been involved but for injury.
User avatar
hermie
Posts: 9735
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by hermie »

earl the beaver wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:47 am
hermie wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:36 am If I was Farrell I would be trying to hire Jared Payne as a defence coach, let Easterby go back to his old role and replace Catt with Lancaster. To hire from within might be the path of least resistance. But in reality instead of wrecking the provinces to plug holes in the Ireland ship, Irish rugby would be better served trying to get a McCall or a Scott Robertson and letting them pick their backroom. Poaching Gibbes and ROG from La Rochelle, who are doing great and know Irish rugby very well, could be another option.
Gibbe won't coach in Ireland again. Burnt his bridges after the Ulster debacle.
Yeah probably. Robertson and Radge reuniting would be great. Them or McCall
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 59530
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by CM11 »

The reality is that there were too many people to carry for various reasons. Any one of whom could have thrived in a more settled side but rugby is a team game and that team that took to the field is practically brand new with no settled combinations.

Was Hendo not 100% or was that a straight up decision because that sure backfired.
User avatar
earl the beaver
Posts: 51003
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by earl the beaver »

CM11 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:53 pm The reality is that there were too many people to carry for various reasons. Any one of whom could have thrived in a more settled side but rugby is a team game and that team that took to the field is practically brand new with no settled combinations.

Was Hendo not 100% or was that a straight up decision because that sure backfired.
By all accounts just a selection decision, he had the shits the night before the Wales game and was pulled out but has been training all week.
Ulsters Red Hand
Posts: 10551
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:18 pm

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Ulsters Red Hand »

CM11 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:53 pm The reality is that there were too many people to carry for various reasons. Any one of whom could have thrived in a more settled side but rugby is a team game and that team that took to the field is practically brand new with no settled combinations.

Was Hendo not 100% or was that a straight up decision because that sure backfired.
Practically brand new? Healy, Porter, Ryan, POM and CJ are all experienced enough to know how to at least avoid getting manshamed by England

I would still be willing to back Farrell as the number one but as I said at the end of the 6N I would question why Catt is in that coaching set up. We had nothing other than an Aki or Farrell truck up
User avatar
Mullet 2
Posts: 28825
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Mullet 2 »

We did avoid getting manshamed.
User avatar
Flametop
Posts: 17449
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Flametop »

What puzzled me about Farrell was how relaxed he was in the interview after the match. He looked under no pressure at all. Usually coaches are a little defensive, talk about a few contentious moments, complain about lack of aggression from his players, lack of belief. He had no belief that we could win that match.

He was almost like a Dad on the sideline wii had just watched his son play. Oh wait..
User avatar
Winnie
Posts: 15859
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:18 pm

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Winnie »

Flametop wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:01 pm What puzzled me about Farrell was how relaxed he was in the interview after the match. He looked under no pressure at all. Usually coaches are a little defensive, talk about a few contentious moments, complain about lack of aggression from his players, lack of belief. He had no belief that we could win that match.

He was almost like a Dad on the sideline wii had just watched his son play. Oh wait..
His face in the interview was very disappointing
We could have been playing until midnight and would not have won that game, England had another gear if needed
He seemed to be delighted
User avatar
MrDominator
Posts: 4280
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:14 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by MrDominator »

Mullet 2 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:59 pm We did avoid getting manshamed.
Not on the scoreboard maybe.

You were given a good beasting in the physical exchanges - as per usual.

:smug:
User avatar
Flametop
Posts: 17449
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Flametop »

Winnie wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:17 pm
Flametop wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:01 pm What puzzled me about Farrell was how relaxed he was in the interview after the match. He looked under no pressure at all. Usually coaches are a little defensive, talk about a few contentious moments, complain about lack of aggression from his players, lack of belief. He had no belief that we could win that match.

He was almost like a Dad on the sideline wii had just watched his son play. Oh wait..
His face in the interview was very disappointing
We could have been playing until midnight and would not have won that game, England had another gear if needed
He seemed to be delighted
Delighted that we weren’t nilled, delighted that it wasn’t a tonking on the scoreboard. But it was a mental and physical tonking by a limited but strong team.

I really don’t know how bad a performance a team needs to have before a coach is no longer proud of it.
I guess the score could have been a lot worse if England had any attack other than Jonny May.
User avatar
Willie Falloon
Posts: 8590
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Willie Falloon »

Duff Paddy wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:01 pm
redderneck wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:38 am I am not going to put myself through watching that game again, but would be interested to know CJ’s stats. Although they never tell the full story- you need Murray K’ s fullbore ruck involvements, positive etc for a better snapshot.

Don’t think I heard his name once. Struggling to recall him being on the ball. Albeit I was watching Ch4 and having to listen to Nolly whatserface doing a Meg Ryan impression anytime Itoje raised an eyebrow. Spent the second half wishing Fla’ would just fcuk his media career away by asking her if she’d managed to find her g-spot yet.

Was he just buried in the donkey shit of having to support his front five or was he just having a ‘mare? He is the most consistent forward in the country generally. Odd one.
I think we have to face the reality that the Boks really know their rugby. They recognised him as a very good player who just lacks the last few percent to be a truly world class backrow. The top teams have all contained him easily over the past years.
The boks have players like CJ all over the show. The likes of Coetzee and monsters like him are the only backrowers they want
User avatar
Willie Falloon
Posts: 8590
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Willie Falloon »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:12 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:10 pm
Jim Lahey wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:15 am What’s Faz’s scope like to bring in lads to the squad given the rules around covid bubbles etc.?
We really need H. Byrne, Casey, Frawley and a few others to shake things up.
Killer
Kelleher
Porter
Ryan (captain)
Baird
Doris
Connors
Coombes
Casey
Harry Byrne with Healy on at half time
Frawley
fudge knows
Lowe
Stockdale
JOB


For Georgia would at least show a coach who realises that we need to fundamentally rebuild the team
Someone posted in jest but if fit Hume should be worth a look in at 13, he is raw but he at least has some potential and seems physically up to it anyway. If he’s not then at least you can’t fault Farrell for trying to find some solutions
I think Moore is better. A very naturally gifted rugby player, similar to Olding, he just "has it".
User avatar
Willie Falloon
Posts: 8590
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Willie Falloon »

Mullet 2 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:01 pm Caelan makes one tackle and it's all smilies from jumper
CJ makes one tackle and Jumper blames....Doris

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I increasingly believe you are the type of lad who hangs out in a warhammer shop wearing ironic t-shirts
He spent the whole match blaming Leinster players, the bellend
User avatar
Willie Falloon
Posts: 8590
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Willie Falloon »

Flametop wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:01 pm What puzzled me about Farrell was how relaxed he was in the interview after the match. He looked under no pressure at all. Usually coaches are a little defensive, talk about a few contentious moments, complain about lack of aggression from his players, lack of belief. He had no belief that we could win that match.

He was almost like a Dad on the sideline wii had just watched his son play. Oh wait..
He is a proud English man, may as well told the reporter that Irish rugby simply can't compete with the mighty English orcs.

Easterby, Catt and Farrell are born and bred in England. Not sure they truely believe Irish rugby can produce the quality to match these big sides, must explain why they keep picking average journeymen like JGP, Roux and Kleyn before
User avatar
Mr. Very Popular
Posts: 20174
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

Willie Falloon wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:38 pm
Mullet 2 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:01 pm Caelan makes one tackle and it's all smilies from jumper
CJ makes one tackle and Jumper blames....Doris

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I increasingly believe you are the type of lad who hangs out in a warhammer shop wearing ironic t-shirts
He spent the whole match blaming Leinster players, the bellend

Well, he couldn't have spent the whole match blaming Ulster players.
User avatar
Mr. Very Popular
Posts: 20174
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

Willie Falloon wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:43 pm
Flametop wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:01 pm What puzzled me about Farrell was how relaxed he was in the interview after the match. He looked under no pressure at all. Usually coaches are a little defensive, talk about a few contentious moments, complain about lack of aggression from his players, lack of belief. He had no belief that we could win that match.

He was almost like a Dad on the sideline wii had just watched his son play. Oh wait..
He is a proud English man, may as well told the reporter that Irish rugby simply can't compete with the mighty English orcs.

Easterby, Catt and Farrell are born and bred in England. Not sure they truely believe Irish rugby can produce the quality to match these big sides, must explain why they keep picking average journeymen like JGP, Roux and Kleyn before
Apart from Catt, you're nearly right.
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 36594
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Duff Paddy »

Willie Falloon wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:43 pm
Flametop wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:01 pm What puzzled me about Farrell was how relaxed he was in the interview after the match. He looked under no pressure at all. Usually coaches are a little defensive, talk about a few contentious moments, complain about lack of aggression from his players, lack of belief. He had no belief that we could win that match.

He was almost like a Dad on the sideline wii had just watched his son play. Oh wait..
He is a proud English man, may as well told the reporter that Irish rugby simply can't compete with the mighty English orcs.

Easterby, Catt and Farrell are born and bred in England. Not sure they truely believe Irish rugby can produce the quality to match these big sides, must explain why they keep picking average journeymen like JGP, Roux and Kleyn before
It was the face of a man who expected to lose. We have to admit that’s where we are at. Yes he is shite compared to Joe Schmidt but at the same time, Joe had much better players
User avatar
Willie Falloon
Posts: 8590
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Willie Falloon »

Mr. Very Popular wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:44 pm
Willie Falloon wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:38 pm
Mullet 2 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:01 pm Caelan makes one tackle and it's all smilies from jumper
CJ makes one tackle and Jumper blames....Doris

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I increasingly believe you are the type of lad who hangs out in a warhammer shop wearing ironic t-shirts
He spent the whole match blaming Leinster players, the bellend

Well, he couldn't have spent the whole match blaming Ulster players.
Especially since the scrum improved with Herring on, we actually won some lineouts and breakdowns with Henderson and Stockdale/Burns combined to score the only try.

Stockdale had a to work hard for his try, wasn't easy to skin Daly and the covering defender, but he made it so. :thumbup:
Last edited by Willie Falloon on Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jumper
Posts: 6088
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:24 pm

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Jumper »

Willie Falloon wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:38 pm
Mullet 2 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:01 pm Caelan makes one tackle and it's all smilies from jumper
CJ makes one tackle and Jumper blames....Doris

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I increasingly believe you are the type of lad who hangs out in a warhammer shop wearing ironic t-shirts
He spent the whole match blaming Leinster players, the bellend
Unfortunately, there were no Ulser guys to blame...

Also, Leinster lads made up the majority of the side and the majority of the poor performers. The worst guys yesterday were Kelleher, Ryan, and Byrne. The better guys were Porter, POM, Farrell, and Earls; try apart, Keenan was decent.
User avatar
Willie Falloon
Posts: 8590
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Willie Falloon »

Jumper wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:58 pm
Willie Falloon wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:38 pm
Mullet 2 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:01 pm Caelan makes one tackle and it's all smilies from jumper
CJ makes one tackle and Jumper blames....Doris

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I increasingly believe you are the type of lad who hangs out in a warhammer shop wearing ironic t-shirts
He spent the whole match blaming Leinster players, the bellend
Unfortunately, there were no Ulser guys to blame...

Also, Leinster lads made up the majority of the side and the majority of the poor performers. The worst guys yesterday were Kelleher, Ryan, and Byrne. The better guys were Porter, POM, Farrell, and Earls; try apart, Keenan was decent.
What did POM, Farrell and Earls do?

Irelands best player was Porter, the rest should take a look at themselves.
User avatar
DOB
Posts: 18757
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by DOB »

Flametop wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:01 pm What puzzled me about Farrell was how relaxed he was in the interview after the match. He looked under no pressure at all. Usually coaches are a little defensive, talk about a few contentious moments, complain about lack of aggression from his players, lack of belief. He had no belief that we could win that match.

He was almost like a Dad on the sideline wii had just watched his son play. Oh wait..
Presumably he’s been told “Your job is safe, nobody gives a shit about these games. Just be ready for the 6N.”
User avatar
Flametop
Posts: 17449
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Flametop »

Duff Paddy wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:47 pm
Willie Falloon wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:43 pm
Flametop wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:01 pm What puzzled me about Farrell was how relaxed he was in the interview after the match. He looked under no pressure at all. Usually coaches are a little defensive, talk about a few contentious moments, complain about lack of aggression from his players, lack of belief. He had no belief that we could win that match.

He was almost like a Dad on the sideline wii had just watched his son play. Oh wait..
He is a proud English man, may as well told the reporter that Irish rugby simply can't compete with the mighty English orcs.

Easterby, Catt and Farrell are born and bred in England. Not sure they truely believe Irish rugby can produce the quality to match these big sides, must explain why they keep picking average journeymen like JGP, Roux and Kleyn before
It was the face of a man who expected to lose. We have to admit that’s where we are at. Yes he is shite compared to Joe Schmidt but at the same time, Joe had much better players
Bingo.

I’m going to call it once again.

I wouldn’t support my own country against my own child in international dominoes, never mind coach another country in international rugby against my own son, playing for my own country.

I really don’t think his position is tenable on that basis alone, let alone him being in over his head.
User avatar
paddyor
Posts: 19071
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by paddyor »

Mullet 2 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:50 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:31 pm
crouchy wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:49 pm
Mullet 2 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:47 pm I'm sure it has been done to death but can anybody tell me why you pick two lumps with bad hands in the centre and then play deep?

Like I could see the logic in his selection and then the tactics were bananas
Bang on the money Mullet. 10, 12, 13 was properly rubbish.

Thought Keenan had a good game at 15.
They played deep because they were terrified that Byrne would get hunted down by Itoje. The plan was to try to nullify their fantastic defence by playing deep and kicking everything.
Then you pick different centres

There is no way to slice it that makes it not awful coaching.
Yep. There was a reason they were able to cover the backfield with 2 players and still have 2 men in every tackle and it's not all on Ross Byrne. That said I think there's a clear ceiling on his international career.
User avatar
paddyor
Posts: 19071
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by paddyor »

DOB wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:08 pm
Flametop wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:01 pm What puzzled me about Farrell was how relaxed he was in the interview after the match. He looked under no pressure at all. Usually coaches are a little defensive, talk about a few contentious moments, complain about lack of aggression from his players, lack of belief. He had no belief that we could win that match.

He was almost like a Dad on the sideline wii had just watched his son play. Oh wait..
Presumably he’s been told “Your job is safe, nobody gives a shit about these games. Just be ready for the 6N.”
Yeah I wouldn't read too much into it.
User avatar
Diabhal
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:44 pm
Location: Gaillimh

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Diabhal »

Ye can't have Wooton back btw so ye can all cunt off
User avatar
Flametop
Posts: 17449
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Flametop »

You can do anything as an Ireland coach other than lose money for the IRFU.
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 59530
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by CM11 »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:50 pm
CM11 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:53 pm The reality is that there were too many people to carry for various reasons. Any one of whom could have thrived in a more settled side but rugby is a team game and that team that took to the field is practically brand new with no settled combinations.

Was Hendo not 100% or was that a straight up decision because that sure backfired.
Practically brand new? Healy, Porter, Ryan, POM and CJ are all experienced enough to know how to at least avoid getting manshamed by England

I would still be willing to back Farrell as the number one but as I said at the end of the 6N I would question why Catt is in that coaching set up. We had nothing other than an Aki or Farrell truck up
You've mentioned 5 players! And you had to stretch with Porter.

Anyway, if I meant players, I'd have said that, this team does not have many minutes under its belt at international level. Even at provincial level the Leinster players up front wouldn't have many games together with only Healy and Ryan with plenty of games in the same side. In the backs JGP and Byrne have a bit but as a backline it couldn't get much more brand new.

The team was weakened, had average and experienced players in it and had barely played together. I think the comments both during and after the game are overly harsh and we should give the squad a chance to develop and gel.
User avatar
DOB
Posts: 18757
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by DOB »

paddyor wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:20 pm
DOB wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:08 pm
Flametop wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:01 pm What puzzled me about Farrell was how relaxed he was in the interview after the match. He looked under no pressure at all. Usually coaches are a little defensive, talk about a few contentious moments, complain about lack of aggression from his players, lack of belief. He had no belief that we could win that match.

He was almost like a Dad on the sideline wii had just watched his son play. Oh wait..
Presumably he’s been told “Your job is safe, nobody gives a shit about these games. Just be ready for the 6N.”
Yeah I wouldn't read too much into it.
Has to be said, if that is the case, it’s disappointing that all he’s tried in these games is 2 boshers in the centers, and POM at 7.
Post Reply