The Official Irish Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
Winnie

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Winnie »

DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:27 pm Whilst i agree Stockdale is Irelands best attacking weapon i think swapping him and Keenan is the best way forward. I think the latter deserves a run of games in the 15 shirt with Stockdale and Earls either side of him and Larmour benching.
Agreed
I thought Stockdales defence his last game for Ulster where he played on the wing was very good
Hopefully he has been working hard at it.
We are used to having a safe and steady if rather unspectacular 15 for years now, no point in changing things I suppose.
Luckycharmer

Post by Luckycharmer »

DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:31 pm
danthefan wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:56 pm Image

Play on :lol:
Whats more surprising is when Ulster played Leinster none of our guys could sneeze without Joy wanting to bring it to Braces' attention. Thankfully he was on is game.
Joy is from where :P
DiscoHips D'Arcy

Post by DiscoHips D'Arcy »

Winnie wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:33 pm
DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:27 pm Whilst i agree Stockdale is Irelands best attacking weapon i think swapping him and Keenan is the best way forward. I think the latter deserves a run of games in the 15 shirt with Stockdale and Earls either side of him and Larmour benching.
Agreed
I thought Stockdales defence his last game for Ulster where he played on the wing was very good
We are used to having a safe and steady if rather unspectacular 15 for years now, no point in changing things I suppose.
I think thats a massive disservice to Keenan in fairness. He takes the right option and often breaks or half breaks the first tackle. There may be something for the longer term with him.
DiscoHips D'Arcy

Post by DiscoHips D'Arcy »

Luckycharmer wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:35 pm

Whats more surprising is when Ulster played Leinster none of our guys could sneeze without Joy wanting to bring it to Braces' attention. Thankfully he was on is game.
Havent a bloody notion and in truth any time she has reffed us or done TJ i thought she has been decent. Think its twice we have had her as TMO and shes been dreadful though
Luckycharmer

Post by Luckycharmer »

Agreed
It was, think you underestimate Keenan in attack. Agree with Discos selection JOB wildcard
Luckycharmer

Post by Luckycharmer »

DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:38 pm
Luckycharmer wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:35 pm

Havent a bloody notion and in truth any time she has reffed us or done TJ i thought she has been decent. Think its twice we have had her as TMO and shes been dreadful though
Limerick
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

So apart from the ref... and the TMO and the commentators.. who else was from Munster?
Luckycharmer

Post by Luckycharmer »

Munster-fogs wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:28 pm
Luckycharmer wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:14 pm

Looks familiar by another Munster player 😂 some refer to him as Messi
https://images.app.goo.gl/9K3pB42KngzQzQ2n9
Only you've referred to him as Messi. Judging by your comments on here this weekend I presume you're about 15. You're genuinely as bad as Jumper.
Are you high again, messi was all you. I will leave it for now. He did very little yesterday especially given all the possession you had.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Jumper wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:25 pm Recent games have shown that, on paper, Munster don't really have much to worry about with Leinster.
Except losing.
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

Agreed
Keenan isn’t really another Kearney or Girve though, not in playing style or top end talent. He’s not going to be as reliable under the high ball but he offers more in attack than people give him credit for
Haley is a closer comparison to our traditional style of fullback but not the same calibre as Kearney or Dempsey
Munster-fogs

Post by Munster-fogs »

Luckycharmer wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:43 pm

Only you've referred to him as Messi. Judging by your comments on here this weekend I presume you're about 15. You're genuinely as bad as Jumper.
Are you high again, messi was all you. I will leave it for now. He did very little yesterday especially given all the possession you had.
I used the Messi/Argentina analogy and you just decided that I was referring to him as Messi. You knew exactly what I was talking about.
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

Keenan’s decision making was far better last night.
Porterbelly1

Post by Porterbelly1 »

Looking forward to seeing how Conor Fitz goes today, first start for a long time. Carty is fit so not sure what that means about him not being in the 23 and does it say anything re Irish selection tomorrow.

Bundee and Papa on the bench. There'll be plenty of biffing in the 2nd half
Salanya

Post by Salanya »

I thought Haley did well yesterday, good boot on him. Would like to see more of him in attack though, but the Munster back three don't seem to get too much ball.

But Keenan offers a lot more than 'solid'; he's been very good in attack as well as defence. Just because a back is consistent doesn't mean he can't be more than just solid.
He's been the best fullback in Ireland since the Covid-break, and he's still young and developing.
There are several young guys developing well at fullback, and it'll be an interesting competition to see going forward, but right now Keenan should get the 15 shirt for Ireland.
Luckycharmer

Post by Luckycharmer »

Munster-fogs wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:53 pm

I used the Messi/Argentina analogy and you just decided that I was referring to him as Messi. You knew exactly what I was talking about.
It was a stupid analogy as I pointed out, Messi has won lots with his club but failed on the big stage with Argentina. Nearly the opposite of CJ who has been decent with Munster and Ireland but just a bit one dimensional to he truely very top level. Against top teams he gets managed same again yesterday.
I was going after Jumper who yet again gone into hiding but you keep jumping in.
onesolidunit

Post by onesolidunit »

Flametop wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:42 pm So apart from the ref... and the TMO and the commentators.. who else was from Munster?
A handful of players in red
Munster-fogs

Post by Munster-fogs »

Luckycharmer wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:04 pm

It was a stupid analogy as I pointed out, Messi has won lots with his club but failed on the big stage with Argentina. Nearly the opposite of CJ who has been decent with Munster and Ireland but just a bit one dimensional to he truely very top level. Against top teams he gets managed same again yesterday.
I was going after Jumper who yet again gone into hiding but you keep jumping in.
It probably wasn't the best analogy I could have used but you knew the point I was trying to make. It's up to you whether you agree or not, but to suggest I was flat out referring to CJ as Messi is just false and clearly twisting words to suit your agenda. I also enjoy the Jumper bashing as much as the next man but some of your petty comments this weekend have made you look as bad as him.
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

Porterbelly1 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:57 pm Looking forward to seeing how Conor Fitz goes today, first start for a long time. Carty is fit so not sure what that means about him not being in the 23 and does it say anything re Irish selection tomorrow.

Dodgy start from Fitzgerald, two crazy passes and a charged down kick that lead to a try
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

Length of the field break out try for Connacht.
IBWT

Post by IBWT »

Wooten having some season. Think that's 8 tries now.
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

Conspicuous wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:18 pm
Porterbelly1 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:57 pm Looking forward to seeing how Conor Fitz goes today, first start for a long time. Carty is fit so not sure what that means about him not being in the 23 and does it say anything re Irish selection tomorrow.

Dodgy start from Fitzgerald, two crazy passes and a charged down kick that lead to a try
He’s settled well now. Bolter to start Six Nations.

:lol:
themaddog

Post by themaddog »

Was that before or after he took the dive? :blush:
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Jumper wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:25 pm Recent games have shown that, on paper, Munster don't really have much to worry about with Leinster.

The biggest difference between the teams at the moment is the mental side of the game. Leinster just have the winning mentality that Munster lack in these bigger games.
Yeah 9 of last 10 really tells us you're the better side.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

That's just rugby
Porterbelly1

Post by Porterbelly1 »

Ospreys have improved a lot, good turnaround after a bad start
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

Top class try by the Ospreys. Too many missed tackles by Connacht.
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

About five or six phases of knock on advantage.
Pretty generous
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

Connacht should fire their defence coach but Ireland should employ their attack coach.
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

Flametop wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:16 pm Connacht should fire their defence coach but Ireland should employ their attack coach.
Massive holes in their defence found off set plays . Tackles missed all over the place. Attack not really functioning in second half either
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Flametop wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:42 pm So apart from the ref... and the TMO and the commentators.. who else was from Munster?
MVP was standing outside the stadium shouting GOWLS at the top of his voice. You can hear it if you adjust the bass on your telly
irishrugbyua

Post by irishrugbyua »

How many times has stander played on the winning side against Leinster? 5?

Suppose given munsters recent record its probably ugly for a lot of munster lads.
Luckycharmer

Post by Luckycharmer »

Munster-fogs wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:12 pm
Luckycharmer wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:04 pm

It probably wasn't the best analogy I could have used but you knew the point I was trying to make. It's up to you whether you agree or not, but to suggest I was flat out referring to CJ as Messi is just false and clearly twisting words to suit your agenda. I also enjoy the Jumper bashing as much as the next man but some of your petty comments this weekend have made you look as bad as him.
No idea where you were going with the Messi analogy. It was a bit banter between myself and MVP. He said CJ best foreign import, I said ISA.than you got involved.
Let Jumper look after himself he has chickened out all weekend.
Luckycharmer

Post by Luckycharmer »

Just watched Connacht game poor conor fitz had a mare. Ospreys 12 was very good, probably a fair result shame Connacht haven't kicked on since beating us.
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

Luckycharmer wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:17 pm Just watched Connacht game poor conor fitz had a mare. Ospreys 12 was very good, probably a fair result shame Connacht haven't kicked on since beating us.
His first game in a long time , nightmare start for but did some good stuff after that. Connacht’s defence was atrocious which was surprising given how strong it was against us and to a lesser extent against Ulster. Scrum went to shit in the second half and maul defence very weak
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Luckycharmer wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:17 pm Just watched Connacht game poor conor fitz had a mare. Ospreys 12 was very good, probably a fair result shame Connacht haven't kicked on since beating us.
They never do
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

We're Connacht's cup final every year. They're the province we find hardest to beat.

I thought two penalties on Munster try line aside, Leinster's clear outs were excellent yesterday. Luke was getting very fast ball. Henshaw coming back in against the grain made a lot metres as well.

Very happy with what Keenan brings. That pick and pass to Larmer was really brilliant
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Keenan really has been excellent recently. Well established in the first team now.
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

iarmhiman wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:22 pm We're Connacht's cup final every year. They're the province we find hardest to beat.

I thought two penalties on Munster try line aside, Leinster's clear outs were excellent yesterday. Luke was getting very fast ball. Henshaw coming back in against the grain made a lot metres as well.

Very happy with what Keenan brings. That pick and pass to Larmer was really brilliant
The attacking lines Fardy, Ryan, Doris and Porter choose are very underrated. It is no surprising Leinsters forwards can go forward phase after phase. They work so hard off the ball to get into position and not simply bosh into the opposite pack.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Didn't realise Leinster had won 9 of the last 10 against Munster :shock:
irishrugbyua

Post by irishrugbyua »

danthefan wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:49 am Didn't realise Leinster had won 9 of the last 10 against Munster :shock:
Leinster have won 15 of the last 20 and 12 out of the previous 14.