Game of Thrones - Books/TV (Full of spoilers mark nothing)

All things Rugby
alliswell

Re: Game of Thrones - Books/TV (Full of spoilers mark nothin

Post by alliswell »

Haven't they a McGregor cameo lined up too? Could do without
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

The whole Ed Sheeran thing was vomit inducing. Not wanted, needed and it just deflects from the story.

What next - Madonna after the Red Queen takes her mask off?
Dumbledore

Post by Dumbledore »

MrJonno wrote:
Dumbledore wrote:That Ed Sheeran cameo was so f**king dumb, whose idea was that?

Pretty decent first episode, ticked the boxes :thumbup:
It was a bit pointless but harmless enough I thought. It certainly didn't make me want to throw my tv out the window and kill the postman like Floppy.
Nah, just silly breaking the fourth wall stuff. Plus I had to spend entire minutes looking at him gurning away in the background. The scene would have been totally fine without him.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

alliswell wrote:Haven't they a McGregor cameo lined up too? Could do without
McGregor will fit in with most groups in the series tbf.
New guy

Post by New guy »

Akkerman wrote:there was one tit though

I get the feeling the only way they could get him to agree to appear was promising him a role with singing and lots of screen time.

They've had musician cameo's before but they've been so well hidden you'd always miss it unless you knew they were there. Couldn't they have at least put a wig on him or something?
Boobs not Moobs

Post by Boobs not Moobs »

It's a middling episode I think.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

tabascoboy wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
Sidney Parade wrote:
Beaver_Shark wrote:
Sidney Parade wrote:...

Havnt been following closely enough to understand wtf the prisoner/??? with Samwell at the end was up to and where that all fits in?
Did you see his arm? That is full-set greyscale on that man.
The fact that he was also asking about Daenerys means it could only be Jorah Mormont. And I assume that is the Citadel hospital he is in and not prison.
Makes a lot more sense than anyhthing I could come up with
Definitely his voice.
Thought the Jorah thing was pretty obvious?

And with The Hound seeing things in the flames as Melissandre did suggests he could actually become her prophesied Warrior of Light that she thought Stannis was?

Yep - that's exactly what I thought
Inch high hogs eye

Post by Inch high hogs eye »

Floppykid wrote:

They had him in the foreground of every scene smiling like a wee dafty.
It's that weird, brushed forward haircut of his that's part the problem. Must have told the make up department to do one...
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Floppykid wrote:

They had him in the foreground of every scene smiling like a wee dafty.
That was my issue with it as well. The gratuitous nature of how he had his face in practically every shot.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

Things just got serious.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv- ... s-spoilers.

Another excuse for G.R.R Martin not to start writing?
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

Ace, loved it. Phenomenal cold open
Last edited by Chuckles1188 on Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

JB1981 wrote:Nice nod to the Hound as the gravedigger for the book theorists.
:thumbup: Didn't think of that.
henry

Post by henry »

Passed an hour.
ID2

Post by ID2 »

They could have disguised Ed Sheeren a bit better. I couldn't name one of his songs and recognised him straight away. Decent voice tbf
New guy

Post by New guy »

Boobs not Moobs wrote:It's a middling episode I think.
Yeah completely forgettable. They just showed us where every character is and what they'll be doing this series, didn't really advance any of the story lines.

I don't mind checking in episodes but I was hoping this season would start with a bang as we're now 11 episodes from the finale.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Just saw the preview for next week. Was that Yara kissing Mother Sand?
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

New guy wrote:
Yeah completely forgettable. They just showed us where every character is and what they'll be doing this series, didn't really advance any of the story lines.

I don't mind checking in episodes but I was hoping this season would start with a bang as we're now 11 episodes from the finale.
Only Game of Thrones can possibly be considered a show that doesn't start with a bang when a character single-handedly murders an entire family of people.

Except that it can't because that's retarded
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

New guy wrote:

Well the entire Frey clan got wiped out in the very first scene. There is that.
New guy

Post by New guy »

Chuckles1188 wrote:
New guy wrote:

Only Game of Thrones can possibly be considered a show that doesn't start with a bang when a character single-handedly murders an entire family of people.

A pre-credit scene doesn't make up for a mediocre episode.

Compared to previous season openers this was weak.
jezzer

Post by jezzer »

Meh.

Even if you need a ton of recap and exposition in E01, you can still have some crackling dialogue. There was virtually none. Uncle Borgen Fella had a line or two but outside of that the GOT script, the dry callous wit, was absent. The Broadbent scene had the makings of being class but it fizzled out.

Shot well, decently handled as far as linking the previous series and foreshadowing future events, but D for dialogue. D-.
alliswell

Post by alliswell »

Chuckles1188 wrote:
New guy wrote:

Sure you knew the Freys were f**ked from the last episode and they're pretty throwaway in the grand scheme of things.
croyals

Post by croyals »

Sansa is going to fuck everything for everyone, isn't she?
jezzer

Post by jezzer »

Walter Freya died last series. The poisoning was clumsily hinted at as the wine was served. Nothing, nothing as dramatic or unexpected as the Red Wedding massacre.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

The first scene was not unpredictable in any fashion, by design. It didn't stop it being awesome though.

Decent set up episode in all. Enjoyed the hound and bedpan scenes immensely. Yes the ginger scene was a bit odd, but didn't ruin the episode. A solid 7/10 I think.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

croyals wrote:Sansa is going to fuck everything for everyone, isn't she?
Disagree. I think she is going to be important for Jon. She predicted what was gonna happen at the battle of the bastards. She clearly supports Jon. I like what she's become.
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Obviously the answer is 'magic', and I'm sure the books will explain how, but did anyone else find it faintly laughable that Arya could masquerade as a man that looked about twice as tall as her?

Reminded me of the farce in Mission Impossible 2, where everyone is swapping faces, and presumably not realising that each character is losing/gaining inches whenever they do this in trying impersonate someone else.
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

Jeff the Bear wrote:Obviously the answer is 'magic', and I'm sure the books will explain how, but did anyone else find it faintly laughable that Arya could masquerade as a man that looked about twice as tall as her?

Reminded me of the farce in Mission Impossible 2, where everyone is swapping faces, and presumably not realising that each character is losing/gaining inches whenever they do this in trying impersonate someone else.
How do they also steal the voice of the person they're impersonating? It's not something the show or books have bothered to explain mechanically at all. Hope that means it doesn't become massively plot significant
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Jeff the Bear wrote:Obviously the answer is 'magic', and I'm sure the books will explain how, but did anyone else find it faintly laughable that Arya could masquerade as a man that looked about twice as tall as her?

Stilts? Standing on a f**king chair that Walder is literally never pictured leaving?

If Hollywood can master platform shoes, I'm sure an organisation of master assassins have it covered.
alliswell

Post by alliswell »

And why does she not travel as a man? Surely it would be less hassle.
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

alliswell wrote:

And why does she not travel as a man? Surely it would be less hassle.
My take is: Men carrying swords are dangerous. Women carrying swords are charming oddities.
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Zakar wrote:

Stilts? Standing on a f**king chair that Walder is literally never pictured leaving?

If Hollywood can master platform shoes, I'm sure an organisation of master assassins have it covered.
Not that I know for sure, but it looked for all the world like the real Walder (legs and all). I'm not sure if it has been touched on in the show (and I haven't read the books), but do the face-stealing assassins not inhabit the entire form of whoever they are playing, or is it just the face?
jezzer

Post by jezzer »

CrazyIslander wrote:
croyals wrote:Sansa is going to fuck everything for everyone, isn't she?
Disagree. I think she is going to be important for Jon. She predicted what was gonna happen at the battle of the bastards. She clearly supports Jon. I like what she's become.
IMO, Sansa is going to overrule Jon and push him aside over some issue (Lannistwrs a likely one), with Littlefinger's encouragement. Then later, Bran will come to Jon's aid and I could see Sansa going on a solo run.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Chuckles1188 wrote:

How do they also steal the voice of the person they're impersonating? It's not something the show or books have bothered to explain mechanically at all. Hope that means it doesn't become massively plot significant
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

Mongo not like.
Inch high hogs eye

Post by Inch high hogs eye »

CrazyIslander wrote:Just saw the preview for next week. Was that Yara kissing Mother Sand?
I think it was KT Tunstall...
Boobs not Moobs

Post by Boobs not Moobs »

I think they'll tease Sansa as falling for littlefingers shit stirring but in fact she's building up to getting rid of him. She saw him kill Lisl Aryn?? Catelyn's bonkers sister after all, and she knows Jon is good and she's still Sansa. That said this is GOT so fudge know.
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Zakar wrote:

Not that I know for sure, but it looked for all the world like the real Walder (legs and all). I'm not sure if it has been touched on in the show (and I haven't read the books), but do the face-stealing assassins not inhabit the entire form of whoever they are playing, or is it just the face?
The answer is "who gives a flying fudge?"
flaggETERNAL

Post by flaggETERNAL »

Stolen from the Internet
Only way to justify Ed Sheeran's #GameOfThrones cameo is for him to greet Bran with: "When your legs don't work like they used to before..."
:lol: :lol: :lol:
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

flaggETERNAL wrote:Stolen from the Internet
Only way to justify Ed Sheeran's #GameOfThrones cameo is for him to greet Bran with: "When your legs don't work like they used to before..."
:lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: Not that I know what that means or anything.
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

I thought it was an alright episode, the Ed Sheeran cameo was pretty ham-fisted and took me out of the episode, unlike the Sigor Ros one which was subtle and not noticeable.

With only 7 episodes I think this might be the only one which is setting things up, or without lasting consequences.