Game Reviews

All things Rugby
crash 669

Re: Game Reviews

Post by crash 669 »

normilet wrote:I just finished RDR2 - and by finished, I mean I went out of my way to get 100% completion, all the tasks, challenges, side quests etc.

Epilogue was a bit forced, didn't feel like I needed to do another 8 hours or so after the main game ended.

But overall, I loved it - depth, story telling, effects, all excellent.

Now for a complete change in pace, I just downloaded Doom Eternal, and some game I hadn't heard of called Control. Anyone ever play the latter?
I've not played it personally since I don't have the machine for it, but what I know of it and the reviewers I've seen of it, it's top notch. Looks like really great gameplay wise and a very weird story, in the best of ways.

Sorry to hear the relative negativity on RDR2 and Rockstar. Got to say I don't play many of their games, but there have been some fantastic titles from them in the past. Also I know some of the devs here in Edinburgh - one guy spent 2 years just coding for the foliage in RDR2. It seems like a mentally big game, and I loved the 1st one.
matta25

Post by matta25 »

Animal Crossing is fantastic, I can't put it down. The perfect game for a time like this. Also started Assassin's Creed Origins a few days ago, another great time sink with the amount of content there is.
normilet wrote:I just finished RDR2 - and by finished, I mean I went out of my way to get 100% completion, all the tasks, challenges, side quests etc.

Epilogue was a bit forced, didn't feel like I needed to do another 8 hours or so after the main game ended.

Now for a complete change in pace, I just downloaded Doom Eternal, and some game I hadn't heard of called Control. Anyone ever play the latter?
Huge fan of Read Dead 2, one of my favourite games ever. Very impressive you managed to get a 100% completion :thumbup: I found some of the collectables in that so tough to find, think I went through the whole game 70/80 hours without spotting a single dinosaur fossil. Easily the best openworld I've ever played in though. Stunning too.
AND-y wrote:Loved Red Dead 2 but it was my first ps4 game just a couple months back as am a Nintendork at heart.
Good man
Last edited by matta25 on Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

I may buy GTAV again depending on how long this all goes on.
Played through it a couple of times when it came out on PS3, but it would be fun doing it again on PS4.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Very very tempted to get animal crossing.
Only have a switch here and desperate for a game to play besides Zelda.
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

Floppykid wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
Nolanator wrote:I got the DLCs with the game. Will definitely play through them. The depth of story is nuts. So much content. I'm playing every quest I can and taking decisions so that as make as possible become available.
I've got three weeks to get through. :uhoh:
It'll see you through a chunk of it.

Enjoy it, it's one of the best games ever made.
I bought it over Christmas after watching the TV show, presuming that is chip away at it over time, but never finish it.
Handy to have it now!
It's one of those games I wish I got at release, so I couldn't use a walkthrough and just had to play it fresh without stopping/checking/getting the "best" outcome rather than the most organic one.
Got it ages back but couldn't get into it using mouse and keyboard for controls. After watching the show, decided to bite the bullet and get a controller and am really enjoying it now.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Nolanator wrote:I may buy GTAV again depending on how long this all goes on.
Played through it a couple of times when it came out on PS3, but it would be fun doing it again on PS4.
Its often very cheap on PS Store, Online is still extremely busy. Ive vested hundreds and hundreds of hours playing with friends online. Never even started the single player story
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

JPNZ wrote:
Nolanator wrote:I may buy GTAV again depending on how long this all goes on.
Its often very cheap on PS Store, Online is still extremely busy. Ive vested hundreds and hundreds of hours playing with friends online. Never even started the single player story
I barely dipped into online back when I played it on PS3. Had long left the game behind by the time the squad heists etc were added.

The story mode is good. Proper GTA nonsense and action with memorable characters. I'd you've got time on your hands over the next few weeks, definitely play it through.
Doc Rob

Post by Doc Rob »

Really enjoyed RDR2, though to be fair there were a couple of bits that dragged.

GTA V is an all time favourite of mine. Finished it on PS3, rebought on PS4, bought and finished again on PC last year.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Trevor is just so much fun.
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

Online on GTA now is fantastic.
Tuivasa

Post by Tuivasa »

RDR2 is the best video game ever made imo
It also has better acting/more memorable storyline (due to actually taking part in it unlike movies) than any movie I've ever watched.
FullbackAce

Post by FullbackAce »

Playing Resident Evil 2 Remake on the hardest difficulty. Quite a challenge, You can tell it is from the time when games were supposed to be challenging not only for your thumbs but for your brain as well.. No handholding, no arrows constantly pointing towards your goal. You're in a pickle, with a useless pistol and a knife, good luck finding your way out. :thumbup:

Reminds me a bit of Portal/Half Life the way Puzzles and Challenges are as interesting as the overall story.

Speaking of Half-Life, From what I hear Alyx is as good as Half-Life was during its era. Just Valve coming up with another revolutionary game. Some things never change I guess.

Here's a very good interview with Gabe Newell - Elon Musk of Video Game industry.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0zXkwLs_lo
normilet

Post by normilet »

matta25 wrote:Animal Crossing is fantastic, I can't put it down. The perfect game for a time like this. Also started Assassin's Creed Origins a few days ago, another great time sink with the amount of content there is.

Huge fan of Read Dead 2, one of my favourite games ever. Very impressive you managed to get a 100% completion :thumbup: I found some of the collectables in that so tough to find, think I went through the whole game 70/80 hours without spotting a single dinosaur fossil. Easily the best openworld I've ever played in though. Stunning too.
AND-y wrote:Loved Red Dead 2 but it was my first ps4 game just a couple months back as am a Nintendork at heart.
Good man
Yeah the 100% thing wasn't worth it. All those challenges (collect one of each plant type, the ridiculous gambler ones, break each wild horse type etc) were absolutely ridiculous and just stopped being fun very quickly. Just wasn't quite ready to stop playing the game so I kept grinding. I don't think I will ever pick it up again now, I've done everything that needs to be done.

I see Spiderman GOTY Edition is on sale at the moment. Anyone know if its worth a punt? With everything on lockdown, my normal expenditure has pretty much gone down to zero so I'm justifying upping the gaming budget ha.
matta25

Post by matta25 »

normilet wrote:
matta25 wrote:Animal Crossing is fantastic, I can't put it down. The perfect game for a time like this. Also started Assassin's Creed Origins a few days ago, another great time sink with the amount of content there is.

Good man
Yeah the 100% thing wasn't worth it. All those challenges (collect one of each plant type, the ridiculous gambler ones, break each wild horse type etc) were absolutely ridiculous and just stopped being fun very quickly. Just wasn't quite ready to stop playing the game so I kept grinding. I don't think I will ever pick it up again now, I've done everything that needs to be done.

I see Spiderman GOTY Edition is on sale at the moment. Anyone know if its worth a punt? With everything on lockdown, my normal expenditure has pretty much gone down to zero so I'm justifying upping the gaming budget ha.
Games companies will be loving it. I'm not really into superhero stuff (unheard of these days I know), but I really enjoyed Spiderman. It'll be a step back from Red Dead in terms of the openworld with things like towers to unlock, no going indoors etc, but the actual gameplay and traversal are great fun. The way it dishes out collectibles bit by bit is really smart too, I platinum'd it easily enough.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Nolanator wrote:Trevor is just so much fun.
Best character in gaming history
backrow

Post by backrow »

Played civ6 last night for the first time, started at 930 - looked up and it was 2am !

God sims, X wing and football manager was how I lost weeks when I was at uni - kicked the FM cocaine habit at least, but my game junkie tendencies are still there. Even when I’m busting for a piss, I go “just one more game” :blush:
ukjim

Post by ukjim »

backrow wrote:Played civ6 last night for the first time, started at 930 - looked up and it was 2am !

God sims, X wing and football manager was how I lost weeks when I was at uni - kicked the FM cocaine habit at least, but my game junkie tendencies are still there. Even when I’m busting for a piss, I go “just one more game” :blush:
Just one more turn...
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

backrow wrote:Played civ6 last night for the first time, started at 930 - looked up and it was 2am !

I've mostly lost that now, but there's still a few games that it happens with. Rimworld is still a complete killer on that front, absolutely scary timesink.
backrow

Post by backrow »

ukjim wrote:

Just one more turn...
Just one more season match...

My kegel muscles could pull a truck ! :lol:
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

How is Civ 6? I've played a bit but returned to 5 which I really love. Feel I maybe didn't give 6 enough of a chance though, the social policy tree seemed interesting.

Obviously I tend to go the commie route late game. :smug:
clementinfrance

Post by clementinfrance »

The problem with RDR2 is the amount of goddamn time you have to spend to achieve minimal advancement in the game outside of the main storyline.

Also the controls are a real headache for an old plum like me. I must have spent around 20 hours playing it and still confuse L1/L2/R2/R3-deadeye when confronted by some outlaws.

I've been trying to lasso some deer to obtain perfect pelts but either my horse is too slow or I'm just crap... :?
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

clementinfrance wrote:The problem with RDR2 is the amount of goddamn time you have to spend to achieve minimal advancement in the game outside of the main storyline.

Also the controls are a real headache for an old plum like me. I must have spent around 20 hours playing it and still confuse L1/L2/R2/R3-deadeye when confronted by some outlaws.

I've been trying to lasso some deer to obtain perfect pelts but either my horse is too slow or I'm just crap... :?
I'm playing on mouse & keyboard on PC, I tried with a controller but there are just too many actions etc so I find M&KB better. Obviously that does no good for anyone on console.
normilet

Post by normilet »

clementinfrance wrote:The problem with RDR2 is the amount of goddamn time you have to spend to achieve minimal advancement in the game outside of the main storyline.

Pretty sure you don't need to lasso a dear to get a perfect pelt..or any animal for that matter. Just focus on it, look at the info and it will tell you what weapon and ammo you need to kill it with to get a perfect pelt. Obviously it has to be a 3 star animal, you should dead-eye shoot it in the head, and absolutely make sure not to run over the corpse with your horse. The amount of times I've f*cked up getting a perfect pelt with my god damn horse is ridiculous.

And I can't remember what talisman/trinket or satchel it is, but one of them gives you a chance to collect a perfect pelt even if the carcass is 2 star, just randomly gives it to you as perfect.
clementinfrance

normilet wrote:

Pretty sure you don't need to lasso a dear to get a perfect pelt..or any animal for that matter. Just focus on it, look at the info and it will tell you what weapon and ammo you need to kill it with to get a perfect pelt. Obviously it has to be a 3 star animal, you should dead-eye shoot it in the head, and absolutely make sure not to run over the corpse with your horse. The amount of times I've f*cked up getting a perfect pelt with my god damn horse is ridiculous.

And I can't remember what talisman/trinket or satchel it is, but one of them gives you a chance to collect a perfect pelt even if the carcass is 2 star, just randomly gives it to you as perfect.
The reason I'm trying the lasso option is that it almost guarantees a perfect pelt (as long as the animal has 3 stars of course) rather that shooting the blighters which I'm not great at yet. :x

danthefan wrote:

I'm playing on mouse & keyboard on PC, I tried with a controller but there are just too many actions etc so I find M&KB better. Obviously that does no good for anyone on console.
I may try a KB and mouse on the PS4 as apparently it is possible. :thumbup:
normilet

Post by normilet »

The reason I'm trying the lasso option is that it almost guarantees a perfect pelt (as long as the animal has 3 stars of course) rather that shooting the blighters which I'm not great at yet. :x
Ah, apologies. I would say it's almost harder to sneak up on a deer and lasso and kill it than shooting it from a mile off ha but that'll stand to you when you get to the later Horseman challenges I guess!
backrow

Post by backrow »

AND-y wrote:

How is Civ 6? I've played a bit but returned to 5 which I really love. Feel I maybe didn't give 6 enough of a chance though, the social policy tree seemed interesting.

Obviously I tend to go the commie route late game. :smug:

seems good - my first Hex one rather than squares, and my first god sim on a console so some of the things are a bit of a faff (eg you have to drill down into each city individually, you can't click on a city get the front page up, and then click right to go to the next city).
but tbh apart from being prettier and maybe having a few more things, its honestly no better than Civ 2 really (which still makes it amazing)

worst thing so far is you can't speed up wonder production or send a caravan in to boost it :thumbdown:
Last edited by backrow on Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clementinfrance

normilet wrote:
Ah, apologies. I would say it's almost harder to sneak up on a deer and lasso and kill it than shooting it from a mile off ha but that'll stand to you when you get to the later Horseman challenges I guess!
I'm trying to lasso whilst chasing on my horse. It's absolute chaos... :lol:

The buggers are just too quick and agile for me. Guess I'll just stick to using my trusty hunting rifle from a safe distance.
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

Downloaded and am enjoying Modern Warfare at the moment - Warzone is great fun, particularly if you make it to the final 20 people. Multiplayer is taking a bit of getting used to however. I used to be pretty decent at the original Modern Warfare multiplayer but this is a tad faster.

Also downloaded Theme Hospital for shits and giggles. Great game!
backrow

Post by backrow »

feckwanker wrote:Downloaded and am enjoying Modern Warfare at the moment - Warzone is great fun, particularly if you make it to the final 20 people. Multiplayer is taking a bit of getting used to however. I used to be pretty decent at the original Modern Warfare multiplayer but this is a tad faster.

yeah you pretty good, I still recall that Suez Bf1 where I was medic and you went bezerk as assault ! :o
we miss you on BFV :nod:

just amuses me how some can be so good at run and gun, whilst be so bad at other things like driving or flying
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

I've only played first person shooters for years and had a serious learning curve with the controls for the Witcher when I started it. GTAV was the last time I played a third person game.
Lots of stupid stuff like accidentally drawing my sword in front of a bunch of soldiers and being instantly killed. Other minor stuff like punching dead bodies when trying to loot them.
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

backrow wrote:
feckwanker wrote:Downloaded and am enjoying Modern Warfare at the moment - Warzone is great fun, particularly if you make it to the final 20 people. Multiplayer is taking a bit of getting used to however. I used to be pretty decent at the original Modern Warfare multiplayer but this is a tad faster.

yeah you pretty good, I still recall that Suez Bf1 where I was medic and you went bezerk as assault ! :o

just amuses me how some can be so good at run and gun, whilst be so bad at other things like driving or flying
:lol: :lol:

Vehicles aren't my thing (unless it's tanks). Much prefer running and gunning. BFV never tickled my fancy - too much political correctness from the off and the game seems to have had loads of issues since. Hopefully the next BF game will be better.

I'd love to get into Post Scriptum or Squad/ARMA 3 but don't have a machine capable of running them.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

backrow wrote: just amuses me how some can be so good at run and gun, whilst be so bad at other things like driving or flying

I feel attacked.

FW, of you still have BFV it's worth a play. Some very decent maps added in the last year. It's no BF4 sandbox, but I still enjoy it.
Considering the free to play warzone option. Been watching JackFrags' videos and it looks like good fun.
backrow

Post by backrow »

feckwanker wrote:
backrow wrote:

Vehicles aren't my thing (unless it's tanks). Much prefer running and gunning. BFV never tickled my fancy - too much political correctness from the off and the game seems to have had loads of issues since. Hopefully the next BF game will be better.

I'd love to get into Post Scriptum or Squad/ARMA 3 but don't have a machine capable of running them.
what political correctness ? there is even a St Patricks day skin available for soldiers, green shamrocks and stuff !
I can only run and gun with certain guns (no recoil & decent magazine and damage) and even then its not my strongest suit.
clementinfrance

Nolanator wrote:

I've only played first person shooters for years and had a serious learning curve with the controls for the Witcher when I started it. GTAV was the last time I played a third person game.
Lots of stupid stuff like accidentally drawing my sword in front of a bunch of soldiers and being instantly killed. Other minor stuff like punching dead bodies when trying to loot them.
Same here loads FPS on PC and console for years...

Re 3rd person. It's very frustrating at first but I'm very slowly starting to master the bloody PS4 controls...

I remeber playing Resident Evil 4? on the PS2 and that was fine. Admittedly there were far less controls to master.
backrow

Post by backrow »

Nolanator wrote:
backrow wrote: just amuses me how some can be so good at run and gun, whilst be so bad at other things like driving or flying

I feel attacked.

FW, of you still have BFV it's worth a play. Some very decent maps added in the last year. It's no BF4 sandbox, but I still enjoy it.
Considering the free to play warzone option. Been watching JackFrags' videos and it looks like good fun.
Ha!
wondering if that would flush you out !

I've seen vids of the latest MW COD games, with zero recoil and all bountys and stuff - not really my thing as just too cartoony.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

That shit with novelty gun cosmetics definitely won't win him over. :lol:
You never see that shit in-game anyway. The only thing you notice is that you've died to the Type 2A, again.
matta25

Post by matta25 »

backrow wrote: God sims, X wing and football manager was how I lost weeks when I was at uni - kicked the FM cocaine habit at least, but my game junkie tendencies are still there. Even when I’m busting for a piss, I go “just one more game” :blush:
How isn't there a new X-Wing game these days? Even something like the Gamecube Rogue Leader type games.
backrow

Post by backrow »

Nolanator wrote:That shit with novelty gun cosmetics definitely won't win him over. :lol:
You never see that shit in-game anyway. The only thing you notice is that you've died to the Type 2A, again.
I see to only die with 2A & Grease gun, shotguns on urban maps, Ariska's and lee enfields, and that's about it. those 5 feels like 80% of what kills me.
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

Nolanator wrote:That shit with novelty gun cosmetics definitely won't win him over. :lol:

Too right! Give Warzone a try - like you said it's free and you can have 3 man squads.
backrow

Post by backrow »

matta25 wrote:
backrow wrote: God sims, X wing and football manager was how I lost weeks when I was at uni - kicked the FM cocaine habit at least, but my game junkie tendencies are still there. Even when I’m busting for a piss, I go “just one more game” :blush:
How isn't there a new X-Wing game these days? Even something like the Gamecube Rogue Leader type games.
I don't know.
I loved X wing from the very outset, it was mesmorisingly good. when my mum was dying from cancer and I couldn't face the world really, I used to come back from school, eat, have a nap, and play it from 9pm to 6am, and on 2 occasions actually just went straight back to school.

I could press S 3 times and shift energy like a mofo back in the day, when online tie fighter battles came out I was lethal :smug:
used to run with shields on max drain, guns on slow recharge, found the extra speed was enough to mean I didn't need shields much, and always linked my cannons to the max (and in ships with Ion's as well, use that as the first blast so you could get a quick linked dual ion's and 4 lasers at pretty much the same time, certainly far faster than trying to fire 2 quad linked laser bursts.)
Last edited by backrow on Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.