Game Reviews

All things Rugby
Nolanator

Re: Game Reviews

Post by Nolanator »

Mains is 50Hz, WiFi is GHz. It isn't too difficult to structure between the two signals in the one medium.
Cool way of using existing infrastructure though.
Doc Rob

Post by Doc Rob »

I’ve got a big old Victorian house, and the WiFi range is... patchy. Great in about 70% of the house, rubbish elsewhere. Power line adapters (I use Devolo) have been an absolute godsend. Everything can have a wired connection where appropriate. I also have one adapter that essentially acts as its own WiFi hot spot - which sorted out the crap signal in the living room and kitchen. It does mean I keep having to change between the two networks (both of which get their signal from the same connection) but it works.
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Doc Rob wrote:I’ve got a big old Victorian house, and the WiFi range is... patchy. Great in about 70% of the house, rubbish elsewhere. Power line adapters (I use Devolo) have been an absolute godsend. Everything can have a wired connection where appropriate. I also have one adapter that essentially acts as its own WiFi hot spot - which sorted out the crap signal in the living room and kitchen. It does mean I keep having to change between the two networks (both of which get their signal from the same connection) but it works.
At least with my set, you can set them up to be seen as the same network on Wifi, no need to switch between the two.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

I set up my work PC in the spare room, and then realised there's no wifi antenna on it. Bought a usb dongle from Amazon which I thought was working fine until I tried a Teams meeting yesterday. Voice only and it was awful.
Think I might try find a proper booster, it's something that'll always be useful to have. For Monday's meeting I think I'll have to set up my PC on the kitchen table and run an Ethernet cable from the router.
ukjim

Post by ukjim »

powerline stuff is great I used it in my old house.

in our new place we had to get a complete rewire so I got the sparkies to pull ethernet cable into all the rooms. wifi schmifi.
A5D5E5

Post by A5D5E5 »

I've just put this in

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing ... 4-pdt.html

It is powerline and mesh wifi combined so the Wi-Fi signal is strong all over the house without the need to switch between different networks and the NAS, the main TV in the living room and the PC I use for work are all using wired connections. We regularly have 4 separate youtube / netflix / Now TV streams / or a couple of streams and a couple of online games at the same time and it copes without breaking sweat.

A bit pricy, but it is the dog's dangly bits.
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

A5D5E5 wrote:I've just put this in

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing ... 4-pdt.html

It is powerline and mesh wifi combined so the Wi-Fi signal is strong all over the house without the need to switch between different networks and the NAS, the main TV in the living room and the PC I use for work are all using wired connections. We regularly have 4 separate youtube / netflix / Now TV streams / or a couple of streams and a couple of online games at the same time and it copes without breaking sweat.

A bit pricy, but it is the dog's dangly bits.
They're so much better than a wifi booster.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

FF7 remake is horrendous.
They've f**ked it.
The original is worse off for the remakes existence.
Risteard

Post by Risteard »

Floppykid wrote:FF7 remake is horrendous.
They've f**ked it.
I finished it last night.

I really enjoyed the gameplay throughout and enjoyed seeing the different characters and how they interacted with each other etc. (See earlier comments)

Spoilers for those that haven't finished.
Spoiler: show
Not really a fan of the change in ending. Completely changed the story. Reads like a typical stupid alternate timeline shift setting it up for a change in the story going forward. Some of the flashbacks and the narrative with the whispers makes it seem as if Sephiroth is trying to alter the the events of the original.

As I read elsewhere, call it a reboot or something if you're going to change the story, not a remake. Another good comment was surrounding the fact the the mystery surrounding chasing Sephiroth in what would have been disc 2 previously is gone. I can't even remember if you saw him in disc one with the first sign of him being the trail of blood in the Shinra building
That being said ignoring the original I think it's a very good game on a standalone basis and enjoyed sinking some time into it .
CM11

Post by CM11 »

There's very few games Floppy likes, as far as I can tell.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

CM11 wrote:There's very few things Floppy likes, as far as I can tell.
Indeed.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

But my god he's persistent.
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

He loves a good moan, there’s not many better.
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Nolanator wrote:
Indeed.
It amazes me that a man who hates so many games, still plays so many.
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

Raggs wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Indeed.
He won't know he hates them until he plays them.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Uncle Fester wrote:
Raggs wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Indeed.
He won't know he hates them until he plays them.
He's a fairly good idea, tbf.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Think I'm coming towards the end of RDR2, it is so good.
Big Nipper

Post by Big Nipper »

Floppykid wrote:FF7 remake is horrendous.
They've f**ked it.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

The original is worse off :lol:

I bet Floppy looks like this:

ScarfaceClaw

Post by ScarfaceClaw »

danthefan wrote:Think I'm coming towards the end of RDR2, it is so good.
I was quite a ways through it but then I think my horse died and I got shot. Lost my saddle and all the weapons on it. Then got stuck in a prison rescue mission because I had a pistol and that’s about it. Decided to start it again and haven’t done much since.

I’m so crap at finishing games.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Dark Souls III is on special on Steam. Can't be that hard. Downloaded.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Bindi wrote:Dark Souls III is on special on Steam. Can't be that hard. Downloaded.
Awaiting your report.
ukjim

Post by ukjim »

Bindi wrote:Dark Souls III is on special on Steam. Can't be that hard. Downloaded.
lol
Akkerman

Post by Akkerman »

just cause 4 free on epic store, for a bit of mindless fun
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

danthefan wrote:Think I'm coming towards the end of RDR2, it is so good.
I'm really struggling to get in to RDR2 having started it last week. The horse is almost as fecking useless as Roach.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

I started watching the Witcher again on Netflix and I'm enjoying it way more this time.

I'm also sad enough to have noticed that when Dandelion/Jaskier and the band play music at the feast in Cintra where the Law of Surprise nonsense takes place, they play the tune which plays in the background of the Witcher 3 in the Rosemary and Thyme. Nice touch.
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

You’ll be begging for Covid 19, even though 3 is the easiest of the series.
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

Soulsbourne games are terrible.
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

I downloaded Dark Souls 3 over Christmas and couldn't kill the first boss. Spent about three hours trying and gave up.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

I imagine the FF7 remake is great if you haven't played the original and you have a favourite flavour of crayon.
ukjim

Post by ukjim »

anonymous_joe wrote:I downloaded Dark Souls 3 over Christmas and couldn't kill the first boss. Spent about three hours trying and gave up.
Get gud ;-)
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

ukjim wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:I downloaded Dark Souls 3 over Christmas and couldn't kill the first boss. Spent about three hours trying and gave up.
Get gud ;-)
Yeah, I'm sure I could with time. Getting the timings right didn't seem worth the hassle.
matta25

Post by matta25 »

danthefan wrote:The original is worse off :lol:

I bet Floppy looks like this:

Hmm I was picturing one of those teenage YouTuber commenter types who whine about how every film/game/thing is the biggest failure in its industry and needs to be remade. But yours works too.
Newsome

Post by Newsome »

AND-y wrote:Soulsbourne games are terrible.
Please, don't ever post on this thread again.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Dark Souls III report. At least 87 deaths. Getting the first boss down to about 1/4 health. Perhaps this is not as easy as I thought.
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

Bindi wrote:Dark Souls III report. At least 87 deaths. Getting the first boss down to about 1/4 health. Perhaps this is not as easy as I thought.
:lol:
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

Floppykid wrote:I imagine the FF7 remake is great if you haven't played the original and you have a favourite flavour of crayon.
That's a shame, was looking forward to it.
ukjim wrote:
Get gud ;-)
I guess some of us got over the muscle memory, trial and error and repeating tedious shit format of games in the 90's....or "skill" if you prefer a nicer word to justify your time wasting.
FullbackAce

Post by FullbackAce »

AND-y wrote:
Floppykid wrote:I imagine the FF7 remake is great if you haven't played the original and you have a favourite flavour of crayon.
ukjim wrote:
Get gud ;-)
I guess some of us got over the muscle memory, trial and error and repeating tedious shit format of games in the 90's....or "skill" if you prefer a nicer word to justify your time wasting.
I've never played DS games and have no real opinion on them but I agree those scripted bosses were a chore that I never liked and would hardly classify as skill-based more than trail and error based... If you want skill? Try CSGO or Dirt Rally. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd42XRX-EKU
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

Bindi wrote:Dark Souls III report. At least 87 deaths. Getting the first boss down to about 1/4 health. Perhaps this is not as easy as I thought.
My sympathies. You've got more determination than I do!
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

AND-y wrote:
ukjim wrote:
Get gud ;-)
Amen brother