PR Depression, Anxiety and Suicidal

All things Rugby
Winnie

Re: PR Depression, Anxiety and Suicidal

Post by Winnie »

moosehead wrote:
Winnie wrote:
moosehead wrote:
moosehead wrote:Anxiety and is very challenging to deal with.

I find excessive alcohol and lack of sleep make mine worse.
Yes, exactly what triggers me too.
Problem is that i am borderline alcoholic and alcohol makes me not sleep...
Then i get anxiety which leads to depression..

So basically i am f...ed.... as there is no way i want to quit drinking....

Drinking and excercising are the only 2 hobbies ... i share with my wife...
Hey moose
Is all ok?
You appear to be in a conversation with yourself
Talking about drinking/ borderline alcoholic etc
Don’t give up on the drinking thread it’s very good
Alcohol is terrible for anxiety, try to cut back on it

Cheers for looking out for me. I don't drink work nights... ?

When i was younger i had no clue this monster called anxiety would hit me as i got older... started approx at 40 ish.
My anxiety is pretty much 100% centred around the well being of my daughters. My daughters are doing great. Uni degrees / careers and great fiancees... But over the years i had alot of anxiety over their uni work, cars, apartments... basically about their safety...
I guess they are my little girls... Now in their mid 20's i think i can relax and trust that they are safe and capable of taking care of themeselves.... My anxiety has decreased but i get older i feel like my resiliance is way lesss. I don't handle bad days or small problems as well as did younger... Maybe that is what aging does to us all ?

Did i mention..i drink to escape my anxiety... When i get drunk i no longer feel my anxiety...
Of course the next day i wake up and it is MUCH worse...
I wonder if this how people become alchoholics...... is it caused by their anxiety..... hmmmmmm ? Am i wrong ?

OK - rant over.

Thanks winnie for listening to me. People on PR always seem to be there for each other.....
I have dreadful health anxiety
Every lump bump or pain is cancer to me
I don’t drink a lot but when I do it does alleviate the thoughts about my health and I enjoy myself
But the next day my anxiety is through the stratosphere

You sound like a great dad
Take care :thumbup:
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Hangover on anxiety is napalm.
kiwidutchie

Post by kiwidutchie »

So....

In the spirit of unburdening. I would have to say that the last five or six years have been a bit of a mare. With a bastard of a boss (We had a staff turnover over 3 years of 400%), health problems (Cancer for me, and my Brother. Remitting/relapsing MS for my wife, and a major hysterectomy for her as well) things could have gone smoother.

So now, at the end of 2019, our health problems seem to be mostly behind us. The MS is in check, the cancer is done and I am now in a great job, with great people and a great boss, and midway through December, I just tanked emotionally. I was so far down, and for no apparent reason apart from the possibility that the last 6 years took way more of a toll than I thought. So I saw a counsellor (Which my new job paid for!), who referred me to my GP. Turns out, I'm depressed. Clinically. Who would have thought as I seem like a happy go lucky guy!

Anyway, I am now on antidepressants. Low Dose, 1/2 a tab a day. Have been since Xmas Eve. The change has been huge. The anxiety has dropped, I'm more sociable, more assertive. After a week, My tastebuds seemed to reboot. I was tasting food again and I hadn't realized I had stopped tasting food. I don't explode at the kids. We laugh, smile. Honestly, it has been a revelation.

Having to turn to this sort of solution was something I never thought I would do. We try to be staunch and power our way through, but I have to say, that even though I am at the start of this process, I should have done it long ago. I am starting to realise what an immense strain I must have been for my family. It feels good to be able to do right by them as well.

Don't be afraid to ask for help. It could be the best thing you can do for yourself, and for those around you.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

feckwanker wrote:I suppose that there are certain things that put your life in perspective and what I heard yesterday was one of them.

My wife's boss'es (about 35) wife (she 33) gave birth to a child last Thursday. She died from an infection two days ago.

I don't even know the man but I'm devastated for him. My wife is very very upset. Hold your loved ones dear guys - every moment is precious.
fudge me. I became a parent last year, stuff like this just rips the heart out of me now. Can't even imagine.
shabadoo

Post by shabadoo »

kiwidutchie wrote:So....

In the spirit of unburdening. I would have to say that the last five or six years have been a bit of a mare. With a bastard of a boss (We had a staff turnover over 3 years of 400%), health problems (Cancer for me, and my Brother. Remitting/relapsing MS for my wife, and a major hysterectomy for her as well) things could have gone smoother.

So now, at the end of 2019, our health problems seem to be mostly behind us. The MS is in check, the cancer is done and I am now in a great job, with great people and a great boss, and midway through December, I just tanked emotionally. I was so far down, and for no apparent reason apart from the possibility that the last 6 years took way more of a toll than I thought. So I saw a counsellor (Which my new job paid for!), who referred me to my GP. Turns out, I'm depressed. Clinically. Who would have thought as I seem like a happy go lucky guy!

Anyway, I am now on antidepressants. Low Dose, 1/2 a tab a day. Have been since Xmas Eve. The change has been huge. The anxiety has dropped, I'm more sociable, more assertive. After a week, My tastebuds seemed to reboot. I was tasting food again and I hadn't realized I had stopped tasting food. I don't explode at the kids. We laugh, smile. Honestly, it has been a revelation.

Having to turn to this sort of solution was something I never thought I would do. We try to be staunch and power our way through, but I have to say, that even though I am at the start of this process, I should have done it long ago. I am starting to realise what an immense strain I must have been for my family. It feels good to be able to do right by them as well.

Don't be afraid to ask for help. It could be the best thing you can do for yourself, and for those around you.
That is awesome KD. Thanks for sharing. Glad the meds are helping. I know a good few people who could really do with exploring that option.

I go to group councelling, which I find great, has really helped with just keeping my shit together and improving my mental health. There is a woman there who had a depressive breakdown a number of years ago, coupled with anxiety. Long story short, she had been on meds ever since, had been lowering the dosage over the last year and about two months ago finished with them entirely. I don't know enough about them but there does seem to be a stigma associated with them. But from what I have seen they can be really effective.

Hope things work out for you, sounds like you have taken some great steps in the right direction.
Calculus

Post by Calculus »

moosehead wrote:
. My anxiety has decreased but i get older i feel like my resiliance is way lesss. I don't handle bad days or small problems as well as did younger... Maybe that is what aging does to us all ?
For me, and I would have thought for most people, the opposite is true. As I've got older I've gained better perspective and can put so called major problems in their proper context. FWIW you appear to have an extremely unhealthy relationship with alcohol and I don't think your mental problems, never mind any physical issues the alcohol might cause, will much improve without you tackling your drinking first.
Biffer29

Post by Biffer29 »

Glad you're getting help, and that it's working. That first step of asking for help is difficult. I always feel that the line people draw between physical and mental health is something we all need to break down - if your body wasn't producing enough of a certain chemical that made your kidneys work properly, you'd have no problem seeking help and taking medicine, so when your body isn't producing enough seratonin to make your brain function correctly, what's the difference?

I always struggle a bit this time of year, a bit of low grade depression. Lot of it based around the fact I'm pushing fifty, no wife, no kids, and in the run up to xmas, tv and advertising seems designed to designate someone like me a failure in life. Most of the time I know that's not the case and I have good friends and family, but it can still get to me. Lack of daylight and miserable weather in Scotland might also be a factor of course...
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Biffer29 wrote: Glad you're getting help, and that it's working. That first step of asking for help is difficult. I always feel that the line people draw between physical and mental health is something we all need to break down - if your body wasn't producing enough of a certain chemical that made your kidneys work properly, you'd have no problem seeking help and taking medicine, so when your body isn't producing enough seratonin to make your brain function correctly, what's the difference?
Yep.

My depression is chronic and caused by pain.

It's a symptom of that and is treated as such.
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

I was on prozac for anxiety for a couple of years, I found it did help. I regret going off them, I will mention that to the doc when I see him next month.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

A highly impressive post. Well done and all the best
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

True Blue wrote:I was on prozac for anxiety for a couple of years, I found it did help. I regret going off them, I will mention that to the doc when I see him next month.

I held off resuming it for too long. Wasn't pleasant
Salanya

Post by Salanya »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/business- ... ng-burnout

For those feeling low due to burnout. Though I'm not sure the suggested 'remedies' will help much: there's only so much water one can drink ;)

But the note on getting support is important.
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Sydvicious wrote:Last year was the first Christmas without my kids and I thought that was one of the worst experiences ever. I have limited contact with them, but the longing for them is just amplified over the festive period.
This year, in addition to not being with them, I'm actually working as well.
I made a lot of mistakes (which put me in the position I'm in), but I wouldn't wish this on my enemies.
Hey Siddie, sorry to hear this Boet. Hope it is getting better now.

Divorce?
C69

Post by C69 »

Don't ftequent this thread much but it is a gem.
My dog died and I can not cope. Ffs a few years ago I would have said it is a dog.
I am an emotional mess and not in control..
Not a clue wtf to do
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

c69 wrote:Don't ftequent this thread much but it is a gem.
My dog died and I can not cope. Ffs a few years ago I would have said it is a dog.
Not a clue wtf to do
Troll the shit out of some assholes.

I am told I have cPTSD from finding a body of a loved one who took their own life. Come at me.
Derwyn

Post by Derwyn »

Not a clue wtf to do
Sorry to hear that. Like you I would never have thought I could get so attached to our furry friends - they take over the household!

Mine is ticking by in years now and I dread the day. All the best :thumbup:
nuffsaid

Post by nuffsaid »

AND-y wrote:
Not a clue wtf to do

I am told I have cPTSD from finding a body of a loved one who took their own life. Come at me.
Hey guys, we are not natural allies in the big knockabout world of PR, but I understand where you are at and know you can / will emerge from the other side of this stuff. Go well.
C69

Post by C69 »

Derwyn wrote:
Not a clue wtf to do
Sorry to hear that. Like you I would never have thought I could get so attached to our furry friends - they take over the household!

Mine is ticking by in years now and I dread the day. All the best :thumbup:
Thanks and thanks Andy..
I will make an effort not torely on alcohol, I have no more tears
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

nuffsaid wrote:
AND-y wrote:
Not a clue wtf to do

Hey guys, we are not natural allies in the big knockabout world of PR, but I understand where you are at and know you can / will emerge from the other side of this stuff. Go well.
Thanks. I've learned to live with constant exhaustion and flashbacks but just feeling guilt, anger etc is harder. I have suicidal thoughts myself almost every day for years and fairly regularly that will push over into ultimate hopelessness where I start making plans. I've not tried to go through with anything though, it would kill my mother for a start. I'm just screaming into the void, I don't really want sympathy I'm just lonely right now and have nowhere to unload, I don't care if I'm trolled over it. I wouldn't put it up here if I did.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

You wouldn't get trolled on it. Are you linked in with community mental health services or do they do it like that there? Sorry to hear about your dog c69. I was pretty emotional when the last fella went and like you didn't expect it. I am overall way more emotional these days. The women in my life including the oncologist thinks its great but I am not so sure. I am ready to cry A LOT :lol:
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

EverReady wrote:You wouldn't get trolled on it. Are you linked in with community mental health services or do they do it like that there?
Yeah man, I also work and study in mental health. :lol:I keep very busy most of the time. I am getting treatment and improving maybe shrugs
I'm also a piece of shit in that I have hurt people I care a lot about in that time but whatever I guess you just got to pick yourself up and try do better tomorrow or whatever.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

That's it really isn't it. Sometimes it's just keeping the show on the road
penguin

Post by penguin »

AND-y wrote: Thanks. I've learned to live with constant exhaustion and flashbacks but just feeling guilt, anger etc is harder. I have suicidal thoughts myself almost every day for years and fairly regularly that will push over into ultimate hopelessness where I start making plans. I've not tried to go through with anything though, it would kill my mother for a start. I'm just screaming into the void, I don't really want sympathy I'm just lonely right now and have nowhere to unload, I don't care if I'm trolled over it. I wouldn't put it up here if I did.
Don't try and do it all alone. Sounds tough and more than anyone can just live with without it dragging them down. Hope things get better for you.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

EverReady wrote:That's it really isn't it. Sometimes it's just keeping the show on the road
Don’t forget or be too brave to ask someone else to take the wheel occasionally. You don’t always have to be the stoic captain.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Sandstorm wrote:
EverReady wrote:That's it really isn't it. Sometimes it's just keeping the show on the road
Don’t forget or be too brave to ask someone else to take the wheel occasionally. You don’t always have to be the stoic captain.
Ah yeah I totally agree now. I think I mentioned before when my yoke kicked off I met with the radiation consultant and she is a brilliant but hard women. Also a ride by the by. Anyway she said you will see the dietician as you will lose up to 3 stone (I lost 4) and the speech and language as you will struggle swallowing and opening your mouth and the psycho-oncologist as you will need support through the treatment. I asked what they were and told the psychologist. I wasn't into it but she told me I was and that was that. She has that way. Anyway the psycho-oncologist, also a ride by the by, became absolutely essential to me getting through it. I was reticent for about three weeks but then let go. Hence the fücking emotions
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

Totally. I love that bit in the Matrix when she is on the ground paralysed with fear and she's just like "Get. Up." :thumbup:

Obviously I know it's not always possible and if anybody reading this is unable to function they should get help and not try to force it.
Armchair_Superstar

Post by Armchair_Superstar »

EverReady wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
Ah yeah I totally agree now. I think I mentioned before when my yoke kicked off I met with the radiation consultant and she is a brilliant but hard women. Also a ride by the by. Anyway she said you will see the dietician as you will lose up to 3 stone (I lost 4) and the speech and language as you will struggle swallowing and opening your mouth and the psycho-oncologist as you will need support through the treatment. I asked what they were and told the psychologist. I wasn't into it but she told me I was and that was that. She has that way. Anyway the psycho-oncologist, also a ride by the by, became absolutely essential to me getting through it. I was reticent for about three weeks but then let go. Hence the fücking emotions
Have you met any health professionals you didn’t want to ride?!
Insane_Homer

Post by Insane_Homer »

A year ago today my dad went to sleep for the last time and never woke up.

Dementia is a bastard and I wasn't there for him.
Last edited by Insane_Homer on Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Armchair_Superstar wrote:
EverReady wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
Not many in any profession but to be clear this pair are off the wall good looking.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Insane_Homer wrote:A year ago today my dad went to sleep for the last time and ever woke up.

Dementia is a bastard and I wasn't there for him.
I think I remember that. Don't beat yourself up too badly as we don't think often until it is too late
YOYO

Post by YOYO »

AND-y wrote:
Not a clue wtf to do

Sorry to hear AND-y. You don’t seem as harsh or negative as you were a year or two ago.
c69, just remember you have a bigger schlong than all of Ireland.

I will say lads, you could have done with a Welsh victory this weekend. As we know, victories, especially against a great rival is a great tonic.
C69

Post by C69 »

YOYO wrote:
AND-y wrote:
Not a clue wtf to do

Sorry to hear AND-y. You don’t seem as harsh or negative as you were a year or two ago.
I will say lads, you could have done with a Welsh victory this weekend. As we know, victories, especially against a great rival is a great tonic.
Thanks Yoyo but I am totally head fecked. Totallybl visceral and I can not control the tears.
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

YOYO wrote:
AND-y wrote:
Not a clue wtf to do

:lol: Thanks but it's a game, a pantomime, entertainment. If nothing else I've gained some perspective.
Salanya

Post by Salanya »

C69, if it's any help, whenever I see someone posting a picture and RIP text about their dog, I start crying, mostly as I then look at my dog and can't even contemplate the loss when he were to die.

The bond between humans and their dogs really can't be underestimated. Allow yourself to grieve.
C69

Post by C69 »

Salanya wrote:C69, if it's any help, whenever I see someone posting a picture and RIP text about their dog, I start crying, mostly as I then look at my dog and can't even contemplate the loss when he were to die.

The bond between humans and their dogs really can't be underestimated. Allow yourself to grieve.
Thanks myself and my family will grieve and cry or laugh if we need to.
My teenage daughter has been so considerate and empathic whilst dealing with her own emotions.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

c69 wrote:
My teenage daughter has been so considerate and empathic whilst dealing with her own emotions.
That's a compliment to how you raised her. :thumbup:
C69

Post by C69 »

Nolanator wrote:
c69 wrote:
That's a compliment to how you raised her. :thumbup:
Thanks, she has been a rock :thumbup:
nuffsaid

Post by nuffsaid »

Armchair_Superstar wrote:
EverReady wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
The bloke who managed my recent heart attack was resistible, tbf.
nuffsaid

Post by nuffsaid »

AND-y wrote:
EverReady wrote:You wouldn't get trolled on it. Are you linked in with community mental health services or do they do it like that there?
Yeah man, I also work and study in mental health. :lol:I keep very busy most of the time. I am getting treatment and improving maybe shrugs
I'm also a piece of shit in that I have hurt people I care a lot about in that time but whatever I guess you just got to pick yourself up and try do better tomorrow or whatever.
Yeah, you are right. You can’t do anything about yesterday, but tomorrow? Maybe you can. Or maybe the day after that. And hurting people you care about is part of the human condition. We all do it. Doesn’t make it feel any better but it does mean you’re not the first, won’t be the last, and you’re probably not a piece of shit, really.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Everybody thinks they’re tough until they have a dog put down. I was upset when my dad died but toughed it out. When I took the dog to the vets I couldn’t even speak, it was horrendous.