The OFFICIAL filum thread 2.0.Accept no substitues.

All things Rugby
Salient

Re: The OFFICIAL filum thread 2.0.Accept no substitues.

Post by Salient »

Floppykid wrote:Just watched The Witch again, bloody excellent movie.
Would have to agree, have you caught The Autopsy of Jane Doe, very Italian 80s feeling to it.

Interesting tidbit from the week, Ridley cut 23 minutes from Covenant, for mine he could have cut a further 30 minutes :thumbup:
SecretAgentMan

Post by SecretAgentMan »

Kid A wrote:
SecretAgentMan wrote: :roll: You really are trying way too hard now.
Erm ok.
Apology accepted. :thumbup:
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

Watched I, Daniel Blake last night. Very authentic movie although a little on the slow side. Then guy playing the lead was excellent. 6/10 surprised it won the palme d'or tbh
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

UncleFB wrote:
comets wrote:Is Get Out the best horror movie of the year or what? its one of those genres where ppl churn out more movies cause its a cheaper (lack of dialogues, lesser budget)..haven't watched a good horror in months :/
I'm not a horror movie fan but I thought Get Out was really good. It seemed more thriller-ish than horror-ish to me but one scene made me almost jump out of my seat.

I went to a talk with the cinematographer (he's an Aussie) and that was really interesting too.
Cinematography was great, soundtrack was good. Plot was more tropey than a tropey thing.
mikerob

Post by mikerob »

Salient wrote:
Would have to agree, have you caught The Autopsy of Jane Doe, very Italian 80s feeling to it.

Interesting tidbit from the week, Ridley cut 23 minutes from Covenant, for mine he could have cut a further 30 minutes :thumbup:
It just means we can expect a director's cut version of Covenant coming out on DVD...
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

UncleFB wrote:
comets wrote:Is Get Out the best horror movie of the year or what? its one of those genres where ppl churn out more movies cause its a cheaper (lack of dialogues, lesser budget)..haven't watched a good horror in months :/
I'm not a horror movie fan but I thought Get Out was really good. It seemed more thriller-ish than horror-ish to me but one scene made me almost jump out of my seat.

I went to a talk with the cinematographer (he's an Aussie) and that was really interesting too.
Yep, I wasn't expecting much at all - that scene caused the whole cinema to jump! :nod:
vh5150

Post by vh5150 »

Saw Wonder Woman today. Seriously good flick. Funny, smart and some tremendous performances.
And Gal Godot is a delight to look at on the big screen for 2 hours 20 minutes. Good to see DC universe getting better with each outing. Enjoyed WW as much as Logan and Rogue One.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

vh5150 wrote:Good to see DC universe getting better with each outing
Not exactly a difficult goal after the shite MOS & BVS.
vh5150

Post by vh5150 »

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Liked both those movies. In fact BVS sits in my top 10 ever. So does WW now. Some call the DC universe too dark. I say they are less emotionally and intellectually timid than other films of the genre.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Is the entire final third one giant overblown battle?
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

vh5150 wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Liked both those movies. In fact BVS sits in my top 10 ever. So does WW now. Some call the DC universe too dark. I say they are less emotionally and intellectually timid than other films of the genre.
They're shit and you have shit taste in movies.
Kid A

Post by Kid A »

Saw "Raw" last night. Beautiful film, although slightly predictable. As horror films go it absolutely pisses all over something shallow and stupid like "Get Out".
bessantj

Post by bessantj »

Nolanator wrote:Is the entire final third one giant overblown battle?
Yes in the finest Marvel tradition. Actually the third act is the weakest bit but all before it carries it through.
vh5150 wrote:Liked both those movies. In fact BVS sits in my top 10 ever. So does WW now. Some call the DC universe too dark. I say they are less emotionally and intellectually timid than other films of the genre.
Yeah I loved the part in BvS where Superman, the symbol of all that is good, is helping people and he looks like he wants to slit his wrists. Miserable Superman best Superman.
Last edited by bessantj on Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
SecretAgentMan

Post by SecretAgentMan »

Kid A wrote:Saw "Raw" last night. Beautiful film, although slightly predictable. As horror films go it absolutely pisses all over something shallow and stupid like "Get Out".
:lol:
Ulsters Red Hand

Post by Ulsters Red Hand »

SecretAgentMan wrote:
Kid A wrote:Saw "Raw" last night. Beautiful film, although slightly predictable. As horror films go it absolutely pisses all over something shallow and stupid like "Get Out".
Stop quoting him please, at this point it's obvious he's a massive troll, both him and Dai are on my ignore list
SecretAgentMan

Post by SecretAgentMan »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:Stop quoting him please, at this point it's obvious he's a massive troll, both him and Dai are on my ignore list
OK
Kid A

Post by Kid A »

A troll for quoting an opinion on a movie? I think it's perhaps a case of you not knowing what the heck you're talking about, so you've run away.
Salient

Post by Salient »

mikerob wrote:
Salient wrote:

It just means we can expect a director's cut version of Covenant coming out on DVD...
Dude have the four disc Blu of Prometheus so bring it on, unfort Fox interfered hence the pile of shite Covenant cinematic version turned out to be.

Tucker & Dale vs Evil - them college kids love a wood chipper, still giggling insanely over this one.
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

Watched John Wick over the weekend. Why do all the assasins have shit phones?
comets

Post by comets »

paddyor wrote:Watched John Wick over the weekend. Why do all the assasins have shit phones?
i thot it was an intentional slap on androids/iphones lol cause no matter how advanced they are, they break easily..assassins who get involved in hand-to-hand combats would rather carry a Nokia 3315, than an iPhone 7 ..

I liked the fact that Keanu made this movie because fans wanted a part 2, he usually donates a majority of his money from movies to charities ..
Cartman

Post by Cartman »

Maybe its burners
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
SecretAgentMan wrote:
Stop quoting him please, at this point it's obvious he's a massive troll, both him and Dai are on my ignore list
I'm not sure if he's a troll, but I like his comical value on this thread. He's that 'movie snob' we all come across in our lives - if something is popular with the masses he'll automatically hate it, if something is popular with a few snobbish critics he'll automatically love it.

But it's good, you can follow him like clockwork on this thread.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Kid A's opinion on films seems pretty sound and non-trolly really.
He just doesn't like Superhero movies, no biggie.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Floppykid wrote:Kid A's opinion on films seems pretty sound and non-trolly really.
He's snide - if you don't like something, fair enough. Trying to be the Arbiter of what is a good film is Tryhardism
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Floppykid wrote:Kid A's opinion on films seems pretty sound and non-trolly really.
He's snide - if you don't like something, fair enough. Trying to be the Arbiter of what is a good film is Tryhardism
:roll:

As opposed to not liking shit superhero and action movies and being called a movie snob?
Ulsters Red Hand

RuggaBugga wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:

As opposed to not liking shit superhero and action movies and being called a movie snob?
No, Rugga, both you and Kid A have got personal over towards people that do like superhero movies which there isn't a need for. Fair enough if you don't like them but there's no reason it should go beyond that

Plus Kid A is a massive troll when it comes to rugby as well, which doesnt help
Kid A

Post by Kid A »

UncleFB wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
SecretAgentMan wrote:
I'm not sure if he's a troll, but I like his comical value on this thread. He's that 'movie snob' we all come across in our lives - if something is popular with the masses he'll automatically hate it, if something is popular with a few snobbish critics he'll automatically love it.

Given my favourite films of all time include 'Jaws' and 'Alien' I think you're incorrect.

Precious people on this forum,. It seems if you have an opinion that doesn't suit the PR agenda, you're a troll.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Kid A wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
SecretAgentMan wrote:

Given my favourite films of all time include 'Jaws' and 'Alien' I think you're incorrect.

Precious people on this forum,. It seems if you have an opinion that doesn't suit the PR agenda, you're a troll.
It's cool for movie snobs to like the 70s blockbusters and early Ridely Scott though ;) .

Maybe if you just said you didn't like Get Out and then left it at that instead of bringing it up again then people would take you at face value.
Kid A

Post by Kid A »

UncleFB wrote:
Maybe if you just said you didn't like Get Out and then left it at that instead of bringing it up again then people would take you at face value.
I think what that stems from is the fact I'd love the film "Raw" to get a bigger audience. Because loads and loads of people have seen 'Get Out', because it's been marketed the hell out of, yet a film like 'Raw' isn't. I think that's disappointing as it's far better.
SecretAgentMan

Post by SecretAgentMan »

Kid A wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
I think what that stems from is the fact I'd love the film "Raw" to get a bigger audience. Because loads and loads of people have seen 'Get Out', because it's been marketed the hell out of, yet a film like 'Raw' isn't. I think that's disappointing as it's far better.
"Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water..." Jaws had massive marketing in its day. Didn't have much artistic merit, though.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Kid A wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Maybe you'd get more people to go to it if you didn't tell people a movie they really liked was shit beforehand?

Raw is getting good press, it's up to the distributor to market it - Blumhouse did a brilliant job with Get Out and it's word of mouth, then hype grew.
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

SecretAgentMan wrote:
Kid A wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
"Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water..." Jaws had massive marketing in its day. Didn't have much artistic merit, though.
Bit unfair. I liked the small minded business association angle.
alliswell

Post by alliswell »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:

No, Rugga, both you and Kid A have got personal over towards people that do like superhero movies which there isn't a need for. Fair enough if you don't like them but there's no reason it should go beyond that

Plus Kid A is a massive troll when it comes to rugby as well, which doesnt help
I think this is a grand thread where, uniquely for this place, nobody bothers trolling.

Though I do find KidA and RB to be rather rude at times I do understand their irritation with the glut of superhero films being churned out
alliswell

Post by alliswell »

For the Irish the Snapper is on RTE in an hour

Kid A

Post by Kid A »

UncleFB wrote:
Kid A wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Maybe you'd get more people to go to it if you didn't tell people a movie they really liked was shit beforehand?
Why am I not allowed to say that I think a movie is shit?
bessantj

Post by bessantj »

Watched the new pirates film yesterday, ugh what a pile of garbage.
Ulsters Red Hand

bessantj wrote:Watched the new pirates film yesterday, ugh what a pile of garbage.
Really terrible

I thought it couldn't get much worse when a bunch of horses managed to drag the massive building along

How wrong was I
bessantj

Post by bessantj »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
bessantj wrote:Watched the new pirates film yesterday, ugh what a pile of garbage.
Really terrible

I thought it couldn't get much worse when a bunch of horses managed to drag the massive building along

How wrong was I
It is generally terrible from start to finish. There was a scene that stuck with me where one of the British officers demands information or will beat the pirate captain to death, which is played for laughs but would be more at home in Casino.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

One of the lads in the office is re-watching the Pirates movies before going to see the new one this weekend. :uhoh: x(
Joost

Post by Joost »

Nolanator wrote:One of the lads in the office is re-watching the Pirates movies before going to see the new one this weekend. :uhoh: x(
It's one of those franchises where it's best to forget that there were ever any sequels: same with The Matrix.