The OFFICIAL filum thread 2.0.Accept no substitues.

All things Rugby
bessantj

Re: The OFFICIAL filum thread 2.0.Accept no substitues.

Post by bessantj »

Watched The Disaster Artist yesterday, pretty good so I give it 'hi marks' (I'm sure that joke has already been done).
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

kovana wrote:What the fcuk is up with her eyes?

Is it literally copying the whole anime 'big eyes' theme from which it is based on?
Yes, basically. She's a robot though, so there is an in story reason for it.
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

PourSomeRuggerOnMe wrote:Whatever about his posts on rugby, Kid A is one of the best posters on this thread. I've watched a few films based on his recommendations and he actually posts a lot more positive reviews than negative ones. Superhero films being derivative shite is hardly a ridiculous opinion to hold; in fact it tends more towards demonstrative fact than most of the opinions on here.

I'm not really a film snob, but I am absolutely a literature snob, and to a lesser extent a music snob. I certainly don't see it as a negative quality, either in myself or others, as it usually provokes passionate opinions and conversation, which is one of the primary reasons for the existence of art in the first place.

TLDR: Leave Kid A alone you bunch of philistines.
This.

The problem with superhero films is that every time one comes out (which is often) this thread is clogged up for multiple pages discussing them and comparing them the 18 previous films in the franchise and 726 in other franchises. Usually followed by someone complaining and people chucking round the snob label.

I actually come on here to get movie recommendations and in that regard I usually enjoy Kid A's offerings if I can find them in amongst the reams of superhero stuff.
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

UncleFB wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
a star wars movie?
Jesus I hate cinematic universes.
Hahahaha. We should really have a separate movie thread for you Kid A, rugga bugga etc where you guys can just wank on without having to discuss enjoyable entertainment like Star Wars and Thor.
Exhibit A.

Some people don't like superhero movies mate. That doesn't make them film snobs. In fact I like sci-fi for the most part.

You're uber defensive about them though. Why is that?
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

RuggaBugga wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
a star wars movie?
Hahahaha. We should really have a separate movie thread for you Kid A, rugga bugga etc where you guys can just wank on without having to discuss enjoyable entertainment like Star Wars and Thor.
Exhibit A.

Some people don't like superhero movies mate. That doesn't make them film snobs. In fact I like sci-fi for the most part.

Nah mate, not defensive in general as I like all films, I just find it highly amusing that some posters come on here and regularly complain about particular genres of film.

When they have a bitchy comment like the one above I'll have a shot - and get in a few shots on the white knighter's before they get here as well. ;)

Anyway, this comment:
The problem with superhero films is that every time one comes out (which is often) this thread is clogged up for multiple pages discussing them and comparing them the 18 previous films in the franchise and 726 in other franchises. Usually followed by someone complaining and people chucking round the snob label.

I actually come on here to get movie recommendations and in that regard I usually enjoy Kid A's offerings if I can find them in amongst the reams of superhero stuff.
suggests you're a fan of my idea anyway so why complain?
The Native

Post by The Native »

First reviews for the Last Jedi are in and they're very positive.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment ... d=11957240
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Having a lazy Sunday so thought I'd watch something light on Netflix. Chose Draft Day with Kevin Costner and was surprised how tuned-in I was to the simple story. The dialogue for his staff was really lame and poorly delivered most of the time, but I liked Costner and his character's arc.

I also wondered if he's in a bit of time warp. Doesn't seem to be ageing beyond his late 40-something look from most of his hits. :)

Probably only worth watching if you're an NFL fan, though.
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

UncleFB wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
a star wars movie?
Exhibit A.

Nah mate, not defensive in general as I like all films, I just find it highly amusing that some posters come on here and regularly complain about particular genres of film.

When they have a bitchy comment like the one above I'll have a shot - and get in a few shots on the white knighter's before they get here as well. ;)

Anyway, this comment:

:lol: There are others in there as well.

Maybe you could start a superhero movie thread and leave a bit of space for every single other genre of movie known to man perhaps? :nod:
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Nieghorn wrote:Having a lazy Sunday so thought I'd watch something light on Netflix. Chose Draft Day with Kevin Costner and was surprised how tuned-in I was to the simple story. The dialogue for his staff was really lame and poorly delivered most of the time, but I liked Costner and his character's arc.

I also wondered if he's in a bit of time warp. Doesn't seem to be ageing beyond his late 40-something look from most of his hits. :)

Probably only worth watching if you're an NFL fan, though.
I like Costner in his late phase films - that one in Paris where he is a dying spy is good value.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

RuggaBugga wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Floppykid wrote: a star wars movie?
Exhibit A.

Anyway, this comment:

:lol: There are others in there as well.

Maybe you could start a superhero movie thread and leave a bit of space for every single other genre of movie known to man perhaps? :nod:
Why should lovers of all films have to create a new thread for superhero films? There would be less discussion of superhero films in here if there were less posts whining about the genre as a whole which just kicks off more of the discussion ...
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

I watched "Miss Sloane" on Saturday night - Jessica Chastain as a Lobbyist in Washington.

Very good - worth catching.
The Native

Post by The Native »

I could watch Jessica Chastain for hours.
Pat the Ex Mat

Re: The OFFICIAL filumk thread 2.0.Accept no substitues.

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

The Native wrote:I could watch Jessica Chastain for hours.
It is a 2 hour movie....... ;)
Gazzamonster

Post by Gazzamonster »

Bullettyme wrote:The Disaster Artist out tomorrow in Ireland, hoping to go and see it over the weekend. Can't wait.
I re-watched The Room in the weekend - just a bit of preparing for this.

Apparently Franco bang on nails Wiseau?
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Gazzamonster wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:The Disaster Artist out tomorrow in Ireland, hoping to go and see it over the weekend. Can't wait.

RLM guys have reviewed it. Sounds like it's also a mess of a film. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPn3lUhzaqM
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

I watched Cuba and the Cameraman, filmed over 40 years in Cuba and exploring the lives of three different families (and Fidel himself). Fascinating viewing, considering the fairly black and white views we usually get in the west.
bessantj

Post by bessantj »

Nieghorn wrote:
Gazzamonster wrote:

RLM guys have reviewed it. Sounds like it's also a mess of a film. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPn3lUhzaqM
What surprised me about it were some of the changes they made from the book. I generally did like the film though.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Nieghorn wrote:
Gazzamonster wrote:

RLM are bizarrely pedantic and, to be honest, a little low brow in their film reviews.
Don't really trust em for much review wise.
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Floppykid wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:
Gazzamonster wrote:

RLM are bizarrely pedantic and, to be honest, a little low brow in their film reviews.
Don't really trust em for much review wise.
I haven't seen it, but it sounds like it lacks depth and focused more on re-creating these ridiculous scenes without going deeper into the real people involved (admitting that maybe there's some contractual element to that with the director, author of the book). They also make some interesting comparisons to Ed Wood, which is of a similar vein, but in their minds much, much better. Doesn't sound very 'pedantic' or 'low brow' to me (intro / outro sketches and Mike's reactions to things, aside, of course).

I find a lot of what they critique is lack of plot / character depth - which is so very true in many popular films these days. Their reviews of Arrival and Tremors (which is quite a spectrum) are spot on, for me, and that won me over to their ways. There are other film reviewers who go all artsy-fartsy, interpreting meaning that probably wasn't even there or missing the 'heart' of the story, and others who only talk about the technical things, some of which I can appreciate, but does not compare to the story/characters for me. If not doing that makes them 'low brow', that suits me just fine.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Read the plot to the last Jedi.
Meh.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Floppykid wrote:Read the plot to the last Jedi.
Meh.
:lol:

Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Meh.
Did you make appropriate 'swoosh' noises in your head as you read through the battle scenes?
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Meh.
Did you make appropriate 'swoosh' noises in your head as you read through the battle scenes?
F-me ... there's not another bloody trench run / giant planet-killer in this as well, is there???
icon

Post by icon »

Standing in the Shadows of Motown is a 2002 doco about this lot:

http://classic.motown.com/artist/the-funk-brothers/

not only the coolest named band ever, but arguably one of the greatest... and pretty much completely unsung :proud:
Hong Kong

Post by Hong Kong »

Off to see the last Jedi tomorrow night
vh5150

Post by vh5150 »

Dusted The Last Jedi today

Loved a lot of TLJ.. mainly first quarter and 3rd quarter. Middle of the film was a bit weak i.e Canto Bight. Refreshing take on the legend of Luke Skywalker and Hamill was excellent and Carrie did well. Adam Driver top notch. Thought Daisy was a tad inconsistent. Bit of a BSG vibe going on with the Resistence fleeing across space. Snoke was Snoke. Left the cinema not really sure about where the Episode 9 goes from here.... could go in any direction.
On first viewing I’ll give TLJ a solid B+.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Went to see The Last Jedi last night
Thought it was very good and it did tip it’s hat to Empire at times.
There were a few surprising twists.
They are really going to miss Carrie Fisher she seemed to be integral to the whole story
I have my thoughts on were it’s going to go next, but it was a very enjoyable 2.5 hours
Also Daisy Ridley is hot
bessantj

Post by bessantj »

Just seen The Last Jedi and apart from the very beginning that felt a bit ropy to me I really enjoyed the film.
Ulsters Red Hand

Post by Ulsters Red Hand »

Went to see the Last Jedi last night, thought it was pretty good. Answered a couple of questions but raised some more, still a solid 7/10. Hamill, Ridley and Driver stole the show really
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

vh5150 wrote:Dusted The Last Jedi today

Loved a lot of TLJ.. mainly first quarter and 3rd quarter. Middle of the film was a bit weak i.e Canto Bight. Refreshing take on the legend of Luke Skywalker and Hamill was excellent and Carrie did well. Adam Driver top notch. Thought Daisy was a tad inconsistent. Bit of a BSG vibe going on with the Resistence fleeing across space. Snoke was Snoke. Left the cinema not really sure about where the Episode 9 goes from here.... could go in any direction.
On first viewing I’ll give TLJ a solid B+ .
I find your lack of faith disturbing
C69

Post by C69 »

Off to see TLJ tonight.
Will report back mane
The Native

Post by The Native »

Watched Silence last night.

Fucking grim.
comets

Post by comets »

The Native wrote:Watched Silence last night.

Fucking grim.
i tried wtching it earlier this year..too slow for my liking, subtitles didn't help either as well as it being f**king long for a standard film..
Hong Kong

Post by Hong Kong »

not getting the bad vibe towards the last Jedi. Thought it was bloody marvellous and anyone who disagrees can be perma banned
The Native

Post by The Native »

Hong Kong wrote:not getting the bad vibe towards the last Jedi. Thought it was bloody marvellous and anyone who disagrees can be perma banned
Mog told me he thought it was derivative drivel.
Hong Kong

Post by Hong Kong »

The Native wrote:
Hong Kong wrote:not getting the bad vibe towards the last Jedi. Thought it was bloody marvellous and anyone who disagrees can be perma banned
Mog told me he thought it was derivative drivel.
:lol: and you listened to him??? :shock:
C69

Post by C69 »

TLJ is class. HK ban any dullard who deigns to disagree.
Back to its best IMHO. Porgs are much much better than Ewoks
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

vh5150 wrote:Dusted The Last Jedi today

On first viewing I’ll give TLJ a solid B+.
Went with two of my brothers today, all big fans of the originals. We settled on a 4/10. Agree with you about enjoying the start and 3rd quarter of the film. The second up to the middle was dreadful. I closed my eyes and would have slept were it not for the volume. For once the Jedi were the real highlight for us. Rey pretty good, Snoke, Kylo, Luke et al.

Finn can fuck right off, and his silly new bird. Love Oscar Isaacs but he's given a pretty mediocre part. The plot tasks to get out of trouble are getting well out of hand and as unbelievable as ever. Yet they all smile and shrug the shoulders (during) as if it's all no big deal which never really happened in the originals. Space battles are just all over the shop with zany near misses and shit flying everywhere. There's barely any time to take a breath.
james garner

Post by james garner »

watched the last jedi last night. All in all I enjoyed it, disney have certainly listened to the fans and the outcry over how poor the last 3 were.

It was a bit too long, I was getting bored before the final third brought it back to life.

Good bits, most of the interaction between Rylo and Rey, although the bit where she asks him to put a towel on was a bit wierd.

Sumpreme leader snokey snoke is a let down in the flesh, much better as a giant head, but his 1970 themed room was great complete with disco dancer personal guard who have seriously cool outfits.

Fin - great character and one of the better actors but most of his plot felt forced, I like Rose though.

Too many poor attempts at humour, e.g. Rey constantly making work for the Skellig's matrons.

Benicio del toro, whats with the funny stutter and tapping things?

Again lots of recycling of old material, but it seems to work.

The baddies still seem to have massive design flaws in their tech, e.g. the dreadnaught was taken out by something that had WW2 style technology.

Hamil hams it up brilliantly in the first third of the film, and his part in the last third is well done, he still cant act though.

The final third of the film does exactly what you want a star wars film to do.
lemonhead

Post by lemonhead »

Been trying to work out why it's far more ambitious than TFA and still worse.

Perhaps because less is more. And one thing blockbusters do in spades these days is the 'more is more' approach, often at the expense of a decent story.

TLJ is at its best when they slow the feck down and spend time with the characters. They're likeable people, worth getting to know and be given a decent arc. Driver, Hamill and Ridley absolutely boss it in every scene; there's just that feeling of wasted opportunity playing large swathes of the running time for laughs, manufactured jeopardy or fan service instead of letting the human drama breathe.

Definitely stands out here where certain characters are far too important not to be found something to do (Fin, you're awake so we need to do the thing so you need to go to the place to get the guy to do the thing) vs others who were previously important
Spoiler: show
(Snoke/Phasma/Maz)
demoted to a minute or two and/or completely killed off with no clue as to why they were relevant in the first place.

The original films had more depth for just this reason, a simple enough plot, the characters drive it and nothing has to be thrown in to rescue the story from running out of steam. Everything - including set pieces - fits. It's why you almost remember them scene for scene, even the fecking Ewok dialogue. Watched this only yesterday and forgotten a fair bit already.
Spoiler: show
I can swallow jumping to hyperspace with something in the way or Luke transporting himself several light years in HD surround, so long as they fit the overall story.
What I can't get is why they bother rehashing a load of previous films and derail the TFA MacGuffin as there can be no 'map' to Skywalker when he came and ditched in Skellig Sneeze to die (well, live for another 20 years with a bunch of Beatrix Potter nuns).

That said, how did the First Order somehow go from losing their fledgling Starkiller Base to bossing the entire galaxy? Another thing they sneak into the title crawl and suddenly the resistance has a single cap ship on the run again against an armada of dreadnoughts. Don't ask questions, here's a Porg for the 8th time going 'WAAAAARK'.

I didn't hate it. Really wanted to love it and there are some very good bits in there, they just don't make up enough of two and a half hours. With action over storytelling it veers into Joe Black/Peter Jackson territory and about half a dozen false endings before roll credits. Shame.
Last edited by lemonhead on Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.