Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9478 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 233, 234, 235, 236, 237
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:23 pm 

boere wors wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
boere wors wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
The Bounty worth watching? (Hopkins and Gibson).

Been maybe 25 years since I last watched it. I do remember that I enjoyed it though.

It cropped up on twitter randomly and looked fairly corny, seems like it might be a reasonably fun film/.

I've just watched the trailer on IMDB. It is beyond corny, the music, the dialogue, the costumes... :lol: I will give it a rewatch as well soon, looks fun indeed

Bizarrely Neil Morrissey is in it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:41 pm 

Just watched the trailer myself. :lol:
Can't get away with depicting "natives" like that anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:02 pm 

Floppykid wrote:
boere wors wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

Been maybe 25 years since I last watched it. I do remember that I enjoyed it though.

It cropped up on twitter randomly and looked fairly corny, seems like it might be a reasonably fun film/.

I thought it was very good. An enjoyable yarn.

Up until last week, I always thought Gibson was an Ozzie. Turns out his parents are American and Irish and he lived in Oz for a decade during teenage/early adult years. I assume he has 2 or 3 passports. Regardless of what you think of him as a human being, what do Aussies and Americans think of what nationality he is? Irish claim everyone as theirs.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:10 pm 

I saw Road to Perdition last night. How did I miss this flick??? Very good.

Also saw the latest Star Wars. Very average.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:12 am 

Watched Angel Has Fallen
By god it’s shite

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:55 am 

Floppykid wrote:
Just watched the trailer myself. :lol:
Can't get away with depicting "natives" like that anymore.

It was on the other night - it was great.

Jubblies ahoy constantly :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:06 am 

https://nites.tv/latest-movies-added/

Free new releases.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:29 am 

Watched 'Bait' last night, small independent fillum about a Cornish fishing village.

Well worth a watch, not least for the beautiful way in which it is shot.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:04 am 

I have rewatched Pulp Fiction a couple of days ago. Must have been 25 years since the last time. Probably only watched it when it came out. And I honestly had forgotten how great that film is. Especially the first hour and half is arguably the coolest piece of cinema ever. Truely iconic scenes and score. Bring out the gimp... I pissed myself laughing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:07 am 

I watched "Knives Out" last weekend, fantastic whodunit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:11 am 

Extremly rewarding to take some time before rewatching some movies. I couldn't remember most of the details. Have just watched reservoir dogs and kill bill 1&2. I hadnt watched both in a long time and thouroghly enjoyed them as well. Next up is Jackie Brown and true romance.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:17 am 

JPNZ wrote:

:nod:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:33 am 

sockwithaticket wrote:
JPNZ wrote:

Fantastic? I thought it was ok. Daniel craigs accent was irritating.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:09 pm 

Trying to branch outside of my comfort zone with films, so thought I'd try a musical. Plumped for Anna and the Apocalypse since it's billed as a zombie comedy musical and thus cleaves somewhat to my usual oeuvre while chucking in the musical element.

2 out of 3 usually ain't bad, but since one of those 2 was the musical bit... I ended up whacking the volume down for each song after the second. Turns out I just can't f**king stand musicals regardless of the genre they're aping, there's just something altogether too twee and saccharine about the singing styles typically employed. Blessedly there weren't that many songs so I didn't have to be too vigilant with the sound. Not that much comedy either, which left a solid if unspectacular zombie flick in small Scottish/English town (spread of accents was 50/50 plus a random Yank). Couple of nice Edgar-Wright homaging quick cut sequences and the lead girl could probably go on to better things.

To compensate I watched The Void again. First time around I thought it was a solid Lovecraftian horror, this time I think it may actually be the best attempt I've seen at putting Lovecraft on film (without directly adapting any particular work). It's seriously impressive and even manages to make practical effects not look shonky and pathetic (I'll never understand certain horror fans' fetishiation of those...). It's currently on Amazon Prime if anyone's game.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:30 am 

Watched Darkest Hour and thought it was brilliant aside from the out of place tube scene. Oldman was well deserved for his Oscar too, two hours well spent :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 12:54 pm 

Watched The cat in the hat with the young fella and by gawd, it's shite.
However, Kelly Preston in hot pink. :shock:

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 12:56 pm 

Just watched outlaw King. It's fun but what the fúck was going on with that ending?

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 6:30 am 

This looks great:

Quote:
Guillermo Del Toro-produced Werewolf Western Will Be “Very Dark, Very Violent”

https://freaked.com/guillermo-del-toro-produced-werewolf-western-will-be-very-dark-very-violent/?fbclid=IwAR2oUXYyoQHeWZ3pL3Lgt2ALAkCmRCOn2e6xHpEX2YCLC_TY3jKwMzodScM

Last edited by Pat the Ex Mat on Mon May 11, 2020 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 7:37 am 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Watched Darkest Hour and thought it was brilliant aside from the out of place tube scene. Oldman was well deserved for his Oscar too, two hours well spent :thumbup:

I thought it was slow boringand historically questionable tbh.
Interesting how different people judge things differently.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:20 am 

The Way Way Back was on telly on Saturday and I'd forgotten just how good it was. The 2010s were a good decade for coming of age movies. You had the aforementioned plus:
Boyhood
Kings of Summer
Edge of Seventeen
Me, Earl and the Dying Girl
Easy A
Moonrise Kingdom
The Duff
Everybody Wants Some
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

There are also some highly rated ones I haven't seen like Ladybird and Eighth Grade. Booksmart, despite the critical fawning, was decidedly average.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:10 pm 

boere wors wrote:
Extremly rewarding to take some time before rewatching some movies. I couldn't remember most of the details. Have just watched reservoir dogs and kill bill 1&2. I hadnt watched both in a long time and thouroghly enjoyed them as well. Next up is Jackie Brown and true romance.

Was just thinking about watching True Romance. Must easily be 20 years. Jackie Brown is great and better 2nd/3rd time around imo.

As for Pulp Fiction, my kids - who are obsessed with quoting memes - are constantly going around the house saying "that IS a tasty burger" without the faintest idea of the source or the context. Planning to show it to the 15yo shortly..

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:05 pm 

LandOTurk wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
boere wors wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

Up until last week, I always thought Gibson was an Ozzie. Turns out his parents are American and Irish and he lived in Oz for a decade during teenage/early adult years. I assume he has 2 or 3 passports. Regardless of what you think of him as a human being, what do Aussies and Americans think of what nationality he is? Irish claim everyone as theirs.

The Mel bit is Irish, comes from St Mel.
Gibson as a name is English.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:56 am 

Midsommar - very mixed bag, but ultimately more in the negative column than plus. Pugh's performance as a young woman broken by grief is great and there are a few inventive gory and creepy moments plus some genuinely gorgeous visuals and interesting shots. However, from the conclusion of the first act the main characters' reactions to an event are inhuman or abnormal even by horror movie standards and continue to get worse as things progress. It makes it difficult to swallow the course of the film. There are flaws in the existence and continued function of the commune/cult wide enough to send a fleet of buses through and an awful lot of their action or design seems to be affected strangeness. Also, the length, good lord, the length. I appreciate what was being attempted, to lock the viewer into the kind of seemingly endless Summer fever dream the characters were experiencing, but that did not work for me at all and theres only so much time you can spend watching commune denizens/cultists being weird for the sake of it without starting to wonder when it's going to f**king end.

Sadly, after this and Hereditary, Aster is not the genius modern horror needs, he's the emperor wearing an increasingly skimpy amount of clothing.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:37 pm 

Hereditary is the dog's bollocks, but I agree with you fully re-Midsommar.
I get that it isn't afraid to wear its influence on its sleeve/that's the point to an extent, but knowing it was a Wicker Man homage beat for beat didn't help the slog.

Eggers is the exciting talent in horror.
He's making a Viking film next though I'm really looking forward to Nosferatu.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:30 pm 

bessantj wrote:
Just watched outlaw King. It's fun but what the fúck was going on with that ending?

Quite liked it but they properly ran out of ideas with the ending.

Would love to see a filum or series made showing king Bob as the cold, calculating badass that he actually was.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:44 pm 

Floppykid wrote:
I get that it isn't afraid to wear its influence on its sleeve/that's the point to an extent, but knowing it was a Wicker Man homage beat for beat didn't help the slog.

I liked Hereditary when I saw it in the cinema but I reckon if I watched it again, everything after that scene would just drag. Haven't say Midsommar but I think it's on Prime now so will probably watch it

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:46 pm 

Watched a couple of movies recently, some crap, some ok ish

Defiance - quite good but reasonably slow I thought but I enjoyed the ending, predictable as it may have been (yes I know it's a true story but didn't know the story beforehand)
Shock and Awe - it was ok, not great, just tried to be Spotlight lite. Harrelson phoned it in there IMO :lol:

Anything else has vanished from memory

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:56 am 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

I liked Hereditary when I saw it in the cinema but I reckon if I watched it again, everything after that scene would just drag. Haven't say Midsommar but I think it's on Prime now so will probably watch it

I watched Hereditary in the cinema and just found it annoying. I love horror movies but this once just didn't work for me.

Midsommar..............Holy Shit, talk about less than the some of it's parts.

:|

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 4:10 pm 

Capone was a grim and dour affair made slightly better by Tom Hardy's performance of the now demented but free Fonzo.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 4:34 pm 

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

I watched Hereditary in the cinema and just found it annoying. I love horror movies but this once just didn't work for me.

Midsommar..............Holy Shit, talk about less than the some of it's parts.

:|

I quite liked it just cause it was something different but probably wouldn't watch it again.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 4:49 pm 

LandOTurk wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
boere wors wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

I believe he comes back here a fair bit as all his siblings are here but unlike the 80s and early 90s he really isn't thought of as Aussie much these days but like Dennis Pennis' joke during the Braveheart media tour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v654Jh5Z9uI

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:48 pm 

Finally watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang all the way through.

It was very good and I hope we get to see Val Kilmer in movies again soon.

Not as funny/enjoyable as The Nice Guys, has a bit more edge to it and it plays around with the 4th wall/narrative a lot.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 10:31 pm 

Dave Made A Maze - Girl comes home from a weekend trip to find that her boyfriend has built a cardboard maze in their living room, which he won't leave claiming it's a lot bigger on the inside and he's lost. She calls over some friends to help out and they go in after him, surprise and wonder ensues. Fairly average script that doesn't stick the ending, but it's a must watch for the visual invention of the maze. Production team did an amazing job.

Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark - although not director, as writer and producer it's very much a Guillermo Del Toro film and confirms that his slump continues unabashed. It's not scary in the slightest except maybe one scene if you happen to be an arachnophobe. Characters are annoying as shit, the story, such as it is, lacks any compulsion and I'd be hard pushed to tell you the ending as even though I was awake I'm not sure I was conscious by that stage.

Sideways - watched it as it's supposed to be really good and I like Paul Giamatti. Jesus f**king christ. How it has any kind of rep is beyond me. Duller than safety scissors and in possession of two deeply unsympathetic leads whose fates I cared not one jot about. A rare instance of a film I actively regret spending time on.

Assassination Nation - gonzo 21st century re-telling of the Salem Witch trials. Subtle as a rampaging bull, but has a fair amount of style to go with the heavy handed social commentary. Not unlike the first three Purge movies in that respect. Also shares watchability yet inconsequentiality with that series.

Floppykid wrote:
Finally watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang all the way through.

It was very good and I hope we get to see Val Kilmer in movies again soon.

Not as funny/enjoyable as The Nice Guys, has a bit more edge to it and it plays around with the 4th wall/narrative a lot.

How were you only doing this now?! It's a cracker. I actually prefer it to The Nice Guys, but then I haven't watched it for a few years, so it may be better in my head only.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 10:53 pm 

I think Gosling is a funnier goofball detective than Downey Jr.
Though I much prefer Kilmer as the Straight man (pun intended), again it's a shame he got so ill because he's a great leading man. Also it's obviously a shame because it was a debilitating illness, glad he's recovering now though.
I think The Nice Guys just a bit brighter and more playful too.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 11:22 pm 

Fair enough. TNG is on Amazon Prime at the moment so maybe I'll rewatch the two together at some point this week.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 11:32 pm 

I never get the hype for kiss kiss bang bang on here. Does nothing for me.
The nice guys I enjoy very much, though. Gosling is very funny in it, great chemistry between both leads

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:12 am 

boere wors wrote:
The nice guys I enjoy very much, though. Gosling is very funny in it, great chemistry between both leads

Yeah, but you didn't like Knives Out either, so *shrugs*.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:20 am 

boere wors wrote:

How can you enjoy The Nice Guys and not Kiss Kiss Bang Bang? They're so similar in tone due to their writer/director and both have good performances.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9478 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 233, 234, 235, 236, 237