Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228 ... 235  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:34 pm 

Saw The Invisble Guardian (2017) on Netflix last night. A Spanish/Catalan cop serial murder thriller. Quite enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:35 pm 

If you're on board with Wes Anderson's oeuvre then GBH is a delight.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:43 pm 

The Revenant was bollix
Cinematography was great but was way too long
If it was an hour shorter I think I would have loved it but I felt there were some pointless scenes just to show off the nice shots

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:46 pm 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
The Revenant was bollix
Cinematography was great but was way too long
If it was an hour shorter I think I would have loved it but I felt there were some pointless scenes just to show off the nice shots

I thought it was excellent and I'm not really a huge fan of Leo at all.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:48 pm 

Big actors from the past couple decades I have an irrational dislike of and find hard to watch
Oscar Isaac, Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:56 pm 

Floppykid wrote:
I agree on Get Out, baffled by the reception it got.
Failed to make me laugh, failed to unnerve me, barely thrilled me.
Haven't bothered with US.

My favourite horrors of the last while have been Hereditary, The Witch and Under the Skin (which straddles sci-fi.)
Not as big into horrors as others, but those are all great movies. I like my horror movies occult-ish.

For my 5 favourite sci fi movies of the last while
Bladerunner 2049
Under the Skin
Mad Max
Moon
The Road

Some of the best recent dramas that come to my mind:
You Were Never Really Here
Birdman and The Revenant
First Man
Whiplash
The Florida Project

Comedies are tougher to be honest.
The Apatow heyday have a few like Superbad, 40 Year old Virgin and Pineapple Express etc.
But once you pass 2010 things get a bit sparse comedy wise.
Jump Street 21/22 are great, Good Boys is a great recent one.
In Bruges and The Guard are excellent movies, let alone comedies.
The Nice Guys?

I hear the Grand Budapest Hotel is excellent but I've never got around to watching it.

Adding to the comedies bit, very few mainstream ones are any cop. In addition to recommending GBH another Wes Anderson offering in Moonrise Kingdom is very good, Easy A and Safety Not Guaranteed would be in the mix for best of the 2010s.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:19 pm 

sockwithaticket wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Arrival and Ex-Machina are up there as some of the best Sci-Fi movies since 2000, imo (and if you disagree you're wrong). Arrival especially I really enjoyed

Horror would be a tough genre to pick given the recent resurgence in great horror movies since 2010+

Ex-Machina is quality, Arrival is massively over-rated*, though I'll concede that's probably in large part because I'm a hopeless misanthrope with variable empathy and couldn't muster a semblance of a shit about her emotional journey. What grabbed me in that film was the alien design, the appearance of their language and the geo-political angle of governments and militaries trying to co-ordinate a global response that wouldn't provoke the perceived invaders.

Spoiler: show
That the aliens communicate about time in a conceptually different way and that she understands it doesn't mean time starts functioning differently

There've definitely been some good horror movies in the last decade, not many I'd consider great, but I think I'm now incredibly jaded as a horror fan. I've seen too much, so it really takes something special or novel to make me notice.

I too think Arrival is massively overrated, while still thinking it was good. But some people went overboard with the adjectives when describing it. Plus it has Jeremy Renner in it who was also in that other hugely overrated film - The Hurt Locker. Other overrated 'but I still liked' films are The Revenant, Logan, Sicario and Joker.

Overrated and I don't like would be La La Land (love his other films though), There Will Be Blood (I always laugh at the I drink your milkshake scene), and Gangs of New York (which I think scrapes in coming out in 2000? and which I was really looking forward to seeing). Children of Men is one that could be in this list but I've only seen it once and maybe I wasn't in the right mood so will need to give it a re-watch.

Agree, Ex Machina is great and another sci fi I really liked was Source Code which I didn't see until relatively recently. District 9 would be in a top 10 too I think. Also Snowpiercer.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:11 am 

I obviously row in different lanes, as I thought Arrival was absolutely awesome, and am I the only person who thought Snowpiercer was just weird garbage?

I think I've made mention of it before, but I've always liked to think that I have bulletproof suspension of disbelief. Sci Fi is my favourite genre, absolutely love fantasy, and can watch (and have watched) countless sci fi/fantasy shows down the years of greater and lesser quality . But everything about Snowpiercer just seemed like bollocks beyond compare, form the basic conceit, to the storyline, to the ending...just one bafflingly weird shit after the next.

Anywho, Jeff's cast-iron list of the Best Sci-Fi films of the 10's is:

Bladerunner 2049
Under the Skin
Ex Machina
Moon (savagely underrated)
Interstellar (dodgy ending aside)
Arrival
Inception
Annihilation
Gravity

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:17 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
I obviously row in different lanes, as I thought Arrival was absolutely awesome, and am I the only person who thought Snowpiercer was just weird garbage?

I think I've made mention of it before, but I've always liked to think that I have bulletproof suspension of disbelief. Sci Fi is my favourite genre, absolutely love fantasy, and can watch (and have watched) countless sci fi/fantasy shows down the years of greater and lesser quality . But everything about Snowpiercer just seemed like bollocks beyond compare, form the basic conceit, to the storyline, to the ending...just one bafflingly weird shit after the next.

Bladerunner 2049
Under the Skin
Ex Machina
Arrival
Inception
Annihilation
Gravity

Interstellar does not have a dodgy ending and I will punch you in the face to prove it

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:56 am 

EverReady wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:

Bladerunner 2049
Under the Skin
Ex Machina
Arrival
Inception
Annihilation
Gravity

Interstellar does not have a dodgy ending and I will punch you in the face to prove it

Notwithstanding all the sci-fi jiggery pokery, the fact that he spends the entire film lamenting the time lost with his daughter, only to meet her at the end, and then just piss off within 5 minutes, was to me at least absolutely ridiculous. Also, all those family members' great grandfather just turned up, and no one gives a shit. It's like they had only 10 minutes to film the final scene and no one gave a fuck.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:30 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:

Bladerunner 2049
Under the Skin
Ex Machina
Arrival
Inception
Annihilation
Gravity

I don't think we're in that different lanes, I pretty much like all of your list ... I think Snowpiercer is a marmite (UK version because NZ version is a gift from heaven) movie. I like it due to it's bonkers-ness.

Agree on the ending of Interstellar, I hate it when movies do stupid things like that (the family reaction etc). Eveready is going to have some bruised knuckles at this rate.

I would have The Martian on my list too! Oh, and Edge of Tomorrow would be easily in my top 5.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:34 am 

Interstellar was overscored garbaggio.
The Hathaway love speech was one of the worst things I've seen in a cinema.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:12 am 

EverReady wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:

Bladerunner 2049
Under the Skin
Ex Machina
Arrival
Inception
Annihilation
Gravity

But it did have some Dylan Thomas to reprieve it, surely Jeff?!?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:16 am 

sockwithaticket wrote:

Is GBH your acronym for a particular film or is that the UK GBH film from 2012, that I have yet to see?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:16 am 

LandOTurk wrote:
sockwithaticket wrote:

Is GBH your acronym for a particular film or is that the UK GBH film from 2012, that I have yet to see?

Grand Budapest Hotel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:36 am 

:lol:

I can't imagine there are many fans of GBH (2012) who'd enjoy Wes Anderson's work, I was indeed acronymising Grand Budapest Hotel.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:53 pm 

Jeff the Bear wrote:

Bladerunner 2049
Under the Skin
Ex Machina
Arrival
Inception
Annihilation
Gravity

With you on Arrival, Jeff. Great movie and one I would be happy to watch time and time again
Enjoyed Annihilation but feel it would be better on a second viewing
Didn't enjoy Interstellar, though

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:55 pm 

That's fine. Lot of people going on the list. Lot of people

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:00 pm 

I found it very difficult to engage with Interstellar and it's ending is terrible, so prep me a space on that list.

Need to give Annihilation another watch, was expecting it to lean more on the horror elements and so ended up a bit disappointed by it, but that's an issue with me rather than the film.

Graun have now done 11 - 50 in their films of the year list, I'll post the top 10 when it emerges. If it's anything like the rest of the list it'll largely be films no one's heard of except Kid A.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:56 am 

Rambo: Final destination wasn't as bad as I expected.
He didn't remind me of Rambo at all though
More like his Expendables character wandered into the wrong film

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:09 am 

sockwithaticket wrote:
I found it very difficult to engage with Interstellar and it's ending is terrible, so prep me a space on that list.

Need to give Annihilation another watch, was expecting it to lean more on the horror elements and so ended up a bit disappointed by it, but that's an issue with me rather than the film.

Graun have now done 11 - 50 in their films of the year list, I'll post the top 10 when it emerges. If it's anything like the rest of the list it'll largely be films no one's heard of except Kid A.

The ending is a little dodgy but not half as bad as the tediously slow start.

Most of Nolan's films are 30 mins too long. Apart from Inception, which is 148 minutes too long.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:20 pm 

Nolan would probably be my most overrated director of the decade anyway.
He and Zimmer bring the worst out of eachother.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:26 pm 

Floppykid wrote:
Nolan would probably be my most overrated director of the decade anyway.
He and Zimmer bring the worst out of eachother.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:29 pm 

Jeff the Bear wrote:

Bladerunner 2049
Under the Skin
Ex Machina
Arrival
Inception
Annihilation
Gravity

I thought gravity was awful
90 minutes of Sandra Bullock screaming and yelling
I hoped she was going to die from about 20 minutes in

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:33 pm 

It was a good one and done spectacle in the cinema.
But yes, Sandra Bullock yelping and breathing heavy in a astronaut mask strained nerves.
Clooney phoning it in as the space daddy didn't inspire either.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:39 pm 

Jeff the Bear wrote:

Bladerunner 2049
Under the Skin
Ex Machina
Arrival
Inception
Annihilation
Gravity

I honestly thought Snowpiercer was a parody. That list is rock solid. It'd grace any decade. Under the Skin, Arrival and Annihilation especially.

I honestly didn't mind Bullock gasping and yelping through Gravity. She could fill my spacesuit anytime.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:42 pm 

Winnie wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:

Bladerunner 2049
Under the Skin
Ex Machina
Arrival
Inception
Annihilation
Gravity

I thought gravity was awful
90 minutes of Sandra Bullock screaming and yelling
I hoped she was going to die from about 20 minutes in

Yeah, gravity is quite dull, but the pictures were great in Cinema.
Ex machina is a superb film. Moon as well, and i would not think it is underrated, it was and is very well received. Though it being merely a mixture of older films, 2001, outland...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:47 pm 

No love for

Timecrimes
Primer
Coherence
Aniara
Sunshine
Children of Men
Her
Cargo
High Life
The One I Love
Triangle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:52 pm 

Gravity was decent. You've got to look at it not from an action movie perspective but from the perspective of Sandra Bullock as a grieving mother. At the end she's literally found the heaven that her daughter is in and is about to join her. It's a very tender movie if you look beyond the space stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:58 pm 

Kid A wrote:
No love for

Timecrimes
Primer
Coherence
Aniara
Sunshine
Children of Men
Her
Cargo
High Life
The One I Love
Triangle

I know Primer got a lot of love at the time for being a 'proper' time travel story, and I know that Nolanesque on-the-nose style exposition can grate, but any story that needs the most complex diagram ever seen to understand it, isn't a good story in my opinion:

Of the rest of the list, the likes of Her, Sunshine and Children of Men are demonstrably good movies, but they just lack that little something that elevates them to 'Best of' lists in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:03 pm 

Man In Black wrote:
Didn’t like Knives Out. I thought the maid character was a bit too ridiculously pure.

You're the only person I "know" who didn't like this movie (although I don't tend to know the crowd who are going to hate this movie just because of who directed it).

I would prefer to see Craig make a sequel to this than another shitty entry into the Bond franchise.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:01 pm 

Anybody who likes English and Irish people calling each other cnuts all the time, plus gruesome violence should watch 'The Nightingale'.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:35 pm 

Saw Nightingale last week. Thought it was pretty decent.

Also likely late to the party, but also saw Once Upon a Time in Hollywood this week. Haven't really enjoyed anything Tarantino has done since the 90s and wasn't expecting much at all.

Personally thought it was great. A few of the scenes with DiCaprio on set were a bit baggy, but otherwise I was completely on board with Tarantino's more indulgent sequences (watching Pitt do nothing much etc). The whole film had a fantastic sense of time and place and the final act was superb. Right up there with his best work for me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:18 am 

Saw Guy Ritchie's The Gentlemen today. A return to form for him with crime capers as Revolver and Rock N Rolla were decidedly ordinary. Not as funny as Snatch and Lock Stock but well worth a watch and had that clever convoluted plot fingerprint of his. Well worth a watch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:19 am 

Kid A wrote:
Anybody who likes English and Irish people calling each other cnuts all the time, plus gruesome violence should watch 'The Nightingale'.

Sounds like The Gentlemen that i spoke of above.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:32 pm 

Big shout for Knives Out.

As of Friday it had made $133 million at the box office off a budget of $40 million.

It might not seem like much in the era of $1 billion being a common expectation from studios, but for an entirely original property 3x the budget and still in cinemas is a hell of run. That it's survived in my local cinema (which often cycles non-massive films out after a week or two) this long is testament to how well it's doing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:19 pm 

sockwithaticket wrote:

As of Friday it had made $133 million at the box office off a budget of $40 million.

It might not seem like much in the era of $1 billion being a common expectation from studios, but for an entirely original property 3x the budget and still in cinemas is a hell of run. That it's survived in my local cinema (which often cycles non-massive films out after a week or two) this long is testament to how well it's doing.

That's about 40 mill in profit after advertising right?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:45 pm 

Floppykid wrote:
sockwithaticket wrote:

That's about 40 mill in profit after advertising right?

Depends how big their spend was, advertising cost being your budget again is for the tent pole movies really, but I haven't found figures for it specifically in this case. 40 mil profit at a minimum, for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:04 pm 

sockwithaticket wrote:

Who cares about box office numbers? They have zero correlation with the quality of the film.

The Assassination of Jesse James
Children of Men
The King of Comedy
Mullholland Drive
Spinal Tap

are all considered flops at the box office.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:04 pm 

Don't forget Bladerunner 2049.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228 ... 235  Next