Chat Forum
It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 10:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9472 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:47 pm 

That's all he ever is on screen.
Fine, vanilla ice cream kinda actor.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:21 pm 

Watched The Invisible Man, it was pretty decent, worth a watch.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:29 pm 

Floppykid wrote:

I like him but found him immensely unsympathetic in The Martian movie. Made me realise he is actually that sort of guy really as in you wouldn't be too bothered if he died in the movies.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:32 pm 

EverReady wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

I like him but found him immensely unsympathetic in The Martian movie. Made me realise he is actually that sort of guy really as in you wouldn't be too bothered if he died in the movies.

Loved him in the Bourne movies.

Found him unbearable in Good Will Hunting, a film in general that I didn't like tbh.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:19 am 

Finally got round to watching Hustlers. Enjoyable but not as good as I'd hoped. Probably just unrealistically high expectations based on the glowing word of mouth I'd heard. Jlo is insanely young looking for a 50 year old. She also puts in a very fine performance. Overall, though, the film uses the same cheating trick used in plenty of other crime movies which want you to sympathise with the criminals: make all of the 'victims' hateful. Some of the girl-bonding stuff was very good though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:52 am 

Geek wrote:
Finally got round to watching Hustlers. Enjoyable but not as good as I'd hoped. Probably just unrealistically high expectations based on the glowing word of mouth I'd heard. Jlo is insanely young looking for a 50 year old. She also puts in a very fine performance. Overall, though, the film uses the same cheating trick used in plenty of other crime movies which want you to sympathise with the criminals: make all of the 'victims' hateful. Some of the girl-bonding stuff was very good though.

Anyone get their kit off?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:49 am 

Floppykid wrote:
Geek wrote:

Anyone get their kit off?

Not that i can recall
Also found it pretty average
Sometimes the reviews of some movies are really dodgy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:51 am 

Haven't seen the movie so won't comment, but I think I can guess what you're driving at.

The blonde one in the movie looks class in the trailers anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:08 am 

Welsh movie called Denmark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhPn6Zs ... oJ9AV03Zfs

Looks pretty good

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:42 am 

Floppykid wrote:
Haven't seen the movie so won't comment, but I think I can guess what you're driving at.

The blonde one in the movie looks class in the trailers anyway.

She's extremely hot, doesn't get her kit off, down to bra and panties though.

Movie was decent, not as good as the hype though. The hype around it reminded me of Widows which was another movie that didn't live up to the hype.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:21 am 

LandOTurk wrote:

Looks pretty good

Fair dos that's the worst Welsh accent I've heard since Tom Hardy's grotesque effort in 'Locke'

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:09 am 

Kid A wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:

Looks pretty good

Fair dos that's the worst Welsh accent I've heard since Tom Hardy's grotesque effort in 'Locke'

Hardy's accent was bad? :shock: I just assumed that Jonathan Davies (the old one) had overdubbed his lines it was so perfect. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:11 am 

UncleFB wrote:
Kid A wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:

Looks pretty good

Hardy's accent was bad? :shock: I just assumed that Jonathan Davies (the old one) had overdubbed his lines it was so perfect. :lol:

No word of a lie: His name in the film was something like Ivan, and his accent was so dreadful, that for the first 40 minutes or so I thought he was supposed to be Russian.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:13 am 

Downey Jr.s in Dolittle is meant to be horrific.

His career really is in the doldrums.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:14 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTtcKR5D4co&t=3m46s

:lol:

It's a cross between a bad Anthony Hopkins impression and Dolph Lundgren in Rocky IV

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:15 am 

Is Locke worth watching?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:17 am 

Floppykid wrote:
Is Locke worth watching?

I hated it for reasons above. But if you're not bothered about how well an accent is pulled off, you may like it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:18 am 

I'll have that in my head now constantly. :lol:
It'll be unwatchable.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:32 am 

Floppykid wrote:

I don't think he gives a f*ck given that he was paid $75 million for the last Avengers film and has earned $100s million more during his whole MCU involvement. Not bad going for someone who was only paid $500,000 for the first Iron man film.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:35 am 

danny_fitz wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

I don't think he gives a f*ck given that he was paid $75 million for the last Avengers film .

I hope that the people who complain that soccer players are overpaid are NOT the same people who enjoy these movies ^

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:37 am 

danny_fitz wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

I don't think he gives a f*ck given that he was paid $75 million for the last Avengers film and has earned $100s million more during his whole MCU involvement. Not bad going for someone who was only paid $500,000 for the first Iron man film.

Oh yeah, of course.
I'm taking a small amount of satisfaction in the purgatory though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:04 pm 

Highwaymen - the netflix movie about the two ex-Texas Rangers roped in to bringing Bonnie & Clyde to heel. Pretty good road movie, Costner gives good gruff and I always like seeing Woody Harrelson (re-watched Edge of 17 recently and he's excellent as the sardonic teacher). Barely see the two outlaws they're chasing and it delves into the celebrity that sprung up around them, the support network they managed to maintain and examines that in light of what they were actually doing: murdering people in cold blood.

Floppykid wrote:
Is Locke worth watching?

I found it very engaging, though it's certainly not a must watch.

Didn't particularly notice accent issues, though did think Hardy strayed into Indian accented English at times.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:48 pm 

Kid A wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:

Looks pretty good

Though Hardy's accent sometimes strayed into 'baby's first Welsh accent' at least you could understand what he was going for. That one doesn't seem to be a Welsh accent at all.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:58 pm 

bessantj wrote:
Kid A wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:

Looks pretty good

Though Hardy's accent sometimes strayed into 'baby's first Welsh accent' at least you could understand what he was going for. That one doesn't seem to be a Welsh accent at all.

Spall seems to have gone for some weird Cardiff / Neath hybrid one there. Genuinely terrible. There's been a few of these lately on TV and film. Can they not get Welsh actors in?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:07 pm 

Kid A wrote:
bessantj wrote:
Kid A wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:

Looks pretty good

Spall seems to have gone for some weird Cardiff / Neath hybrid one there. Genuinely terrible. There's been a few of these lately on TV and film. Can they not get Welsh actors in?

So that's Luke Evans, Michael Sheen and...?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:08 pm 

Tom Jones was in Mars Attacks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:13 pm 

Kid A wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

I don't think he gives a f*ck given that he was paid $75 million for the last Avengers film .

I hope that the people who complain that soccer players are overpaid are NOT the same people who enjoy these movies ^

He got over $10 million for a 15 min cameo in the Spiderman Homecoming film.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:17 pm 

Floppykid wrote:
Tom Jones was in Mars Attacks.

:lol: I'd forgotten about that. He and 'Tony Hopkins are excluded from the list on the basis that they're super old and thus pretty role limited.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:18 pm 

Kid A wrote:

Is that what you got? I couldn't make up my mind where he was trying for, missed it wherever it was.

sockwithaticket wrote:

Ioan Gruffudd, Rhys Ifans (Who, even at his tidiest looks like a bad day away from robbing a bank), Peter Wingfield and cheeky answer Christian Bale :proud:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:35 pm 

bessantj wrote:
Kid A wrote:

Is that what you got? I couldn't make up my mind where he was trying for, missed it wherever it was.

sockwithaticket wrote:

Ioan Gruffudd, Rhys Ifans (Who, even at his tidiest looks like a bad day away from robbing a bank), Peter Wingfield and cheeky answer Christian Bale :proud:

:lol:

Very true.

Luke ruddy Evans is the youngest of all these at 40. Is there no young talent coming forth from the valleys?

I suspect though, they're not as financially secure as RDJ and actually still care about the quality of the work they put out, so weren't likely to be signing up for Dr. Doolittle.

It seems to be a potential rival for Cats as the most critically reviled mainstream film of the last decade or so.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:52 pm 

Well it's not as easy as it used to be for young (especially working class) actors to come through but you have actors like Iwan Rheon, Marc Rhys, Matt Ryan who have done well and I can probably think of a few up and coming people if I sat down and really thought about it. Kid A could probably do it better than I.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:58 pm 

Iwan Rheon is a good actor, sucks that he decided to be a part of the Motley Crew fluff movie/turkey, that may have put the skids on his career a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:00 pm 

bessantj wrote:
Well it's not as easy as it used to be for young (especially working class) actors to come through but you have actors like Iwan Rheon, Marc Rhys, Matt Ryan who have done well and I can probably think of a few up and coming people if I sat down and really thought about it. Kid A could probably do it better than I.

Aneurin Barnard is a decent actor too.
There are genuine Welshies in the support cast, so not sure why they couldn't improve on Spall's accent during filming. If anything, it sounds like he's under-committing to the accent, not trying to go too Welsh so as to get it wrong or to make it stereotypical. Shame, as Rafe Spall is a good actor.

What bugs me more in this trailer (and most other trailers) is that the whole film is pretty much summarised now, there's little to surprise you if you did watch the film. I know trailers are supposed to tempt people, but it actually turns me off many films: why would I pay £7-£10 to see a film in the cinema when I've already seen the abbreviated version (and probably its best bits) in the trailer at home?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:02 pm 

I always forget about Aneurin Barnard for some reason, he is a good actor. I know what you mean about trailers, so many of them show you the entire film.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:07 pm 

bessantj wrote:

Now that I think about it, Taron Egerton's from your side of the Severn iirc.

Yeah, Tim Spall, among others, has been vocal on the plight of working class actors. A friend's sister is making a go of the acting thing, she's getting enough work to survive on, but she's from a private school background and her dad basically underwrote the first few years of not getting much acting work. It's noticeable that a lot of the newer English actors have very cut glass accents.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:12 pm 

Salanya wrote:
bessantj wrote:

Aneurin Barnard is a decent actor too.
There are genuine Welshies in the support cast, so not sure why they couldn't improve on Spall's accent during filming. If anything, it sounds like he's under-committing to the accent, not trying to go too Welsh so as to get it wrong or to make it stereotypical. Shame, as Rafe Spall is a good actor.

What bugs me more in this trailer (and most other trailers) is that the whole film is pretty much summarised now, there's little to surprise you if you did watch the film. I know trailers are supposed to tempt people, but it actually turns me off many films: why would I pay £7-£10 to see a film in the cinema when I've already seen the abbreviated version (and probably its best bits) in the trailer at home?

I often read about these cinemas with affordable prices, they feel like places of myth and legend when the few around me are charging £13 - £17.

It's not even about seeing the best bits in trailers, but essentially a cliff notes version of the whole narrative. I often find myself stopping trailer about two thirds of the way through now as a preventative measure.

As with most decisions emanating from Hollywood, it comes from a place of fear. They're scared of not showing enough to capture the interest of potential audience members and so they've resorted to showing too much almost as a default.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:21 pm 

The Vue cinema here in Stirling was ridiculously expensive (and empty) until they changed their pricing policy - now all standard tickets are £4.99, any time, any day and the place is rammed.

You still get rinsed on drinks etc though, but that can be avoided by preparation...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:27 pm 

I have a local village cinema - proper old school building, but they've got comfy seats. They only show between 3 and 5 different films per week, with 1 or 2 screenings per film per day. Not too bad, but films can turn over quite quickly.

Every film is £4, and popcorn is between £1 and £3 (depending on size). No ripping off, supporting the community, and generally they seem to get good numbers.

The other village cinema 5 miles further charge £6.50 per adult - like I'm going to get ripped off like that :lol:

The nearest Vue cinema charges between £8 and £12 depending on day and time - I guess that's still better than London prices.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:29 pm 

Salanya wrote:
I have a local village cinema - proper old school building, but they've got comfy seats. They only show between 3 and 5 different films per week, with 1 or 2 screenings per film per day. Not too bad, but films can turn over quite quickly.

Every film is £4, and popcorn is between £1 and £3 (depending on size). No ripping off, supporting the community, and generally they seem to get good numbers.

The other village cinema 5 miles further charge £6.50 per adult - like I'm going to get ripped off like that :lol:

The nearest Vue cinema charges between £8 and £12 depending on day and time - I guess that's still better than London prices.

What are they screening, Back to the Future?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:45 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
Salanya wrote:

What are they screening, Back to the Future?

Nope, all the most popular latest films - I saw Star Wars in the Christmas holidays, they showed 1917, and this week they're showing Emma, The Invisible Man and Parasite.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9472 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237  Next