The OFFICIAL filum thread 2.0.Accept no substitues.

All things Rugby
Ulsters Red Hand

Re: The OFFICIAL filum thread 2.0.Accept no substitues.

Post by Ulsters Red Hand »

Watched Darkest Hour and thought it was brilliant aside from the out of place tube scene. Oldman was well deserved for his Oscar too, two hours well spent :thumbup:
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

Watched The cat in the hat with the young fella and by gawd, it's shite.
However, Kelly Preston in hot pink. :shock:
bessantj

Post by bessantj »

Just watched outlaw King. It's fun but what the fúck was going on with that ending?
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

This looks great:
Guillermo Del Toro-produced Werewolf Western Will Be “Very Dark, Very Violent”
https://freaked.com/guillermo-del-toro- ... jKwMzodScM

:nod:
Last edited by Pat the Ex Mat on Mon May 11, 2020 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
C69

Post by C69 »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:Watched Darkest Hour and thought it was brilliant aside from the out of place tube scene. Oldman was well deserved for his Oscar too, two hours well spent :thumbup:
I thought it was slow boringand historically questionable tbh.
Interesting how different people judge things differently.
sockwithaticket

Post by sockwithaticket »

The Way Way Back was on telly on Saturday and I'd forgotten just how good it was. The 2010s were a good decade for coming of age movies. You had the aforementioned plus:
Boyhood
Kings of Summer
Edge of Seventeen
Me, Earl and the Dying Girl
Easy A
Moonrise Kingdom
The Duff
Everybody Wants Some
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

There are also some highly rated ones I haven't seen like Ladybird and Eighth Grade. Booksmart, despite the critical fawning, was decidedly average.
jezzer

Post by jezzer »

boere wors wrote:Extremly rewarding to take some time before rewatching some movies. I couldn't remember most of the details. Have just watched reservoir dogs and kill bill 1&2. I hadnt watched both in a long time and thouroghly enjoyed them as well. Next up is Jackie Brown and true romance.
Was just thinking about watching True Romance. Must easily be 20 years. Jackie Brown is great and better 2nd/3rd time around imo.

As for Pulp Fiction, my kids - who are obsessed with quoting memes - are constantly going around the house saying "that IS a tasty burger" without the faintest idea of the source or the context. Planning to show it to the 15yo shortly..
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

LandOTurk wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
boere wors wrote:
Floppykid wrote:The Bounty worth watching? (Hopkins and Gibson).
Been maybe 25 years since I last watched it. I do remember that I enjoyed it though.
It cropped up on twitter randomly and looked fairly corny, seems like it might be a reasonably fun film/.
I thought it was very good. An enjoyable yarn.

Up until last week, I always thought Gibson was an Ozzie. Turns out his parents are American and Irish and he lived in Oz for a decade during teenage/early adult years. I assume he has 2 or 3 passports. Regardless of what you think of him as a human being, what do Aussies and Americans think of what nationality he is? Irish claim everyone as theirs.
The Mel bit is Irish, comes from St Mel.
Gibson as a name is English.
sockwithaticket

Midsommar - very mixed bag, but ultimately more in the negative column than plus. Pugh's performance as a young woman broken by grief is great and there are a few inventive gory and creepy moments plus some genuinely gorgeous visuals and interesting shots. However, from the conclusion of the first act the main characters' reactions to an event are inhuman or abnormal even by horror movie standards and continue to get worse as things progress. It makes it difficult to swallow the course of the film. There are flaws in the existence and continued function of the commune/cult wide enough to send a fleet of buses through and an awful lot of their action or design seems to be affected strangeness. Also, the length, good lord, the length. I appreciate what was being attempted, to lock the viewer into the kind of seemingly endless Summer fever dream the characters were experiencing, but that did not work for me at all and theres only so much time you can spend watching commune denizens/cultists being weird for the sake of it without starting to wonder when it's going to f**king end.

Sadly, after this and Hereditary, Aster is not the genius modern horror needs, he's the emperor wearing an increasingly skimpy amount of clothing.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Hereditary is the dog's bollocks, but I agree with you fully re-Midsommar.
I get that it isn't afraid to wear its influence on its sleeve/that's the point to an extent, but knowing it was a Wicker Man homage beat for beat didn't help the slog.

Eggers is the exciting talent in horror.
He's making a Viking film next though I'm really looking forward to Nosferatu.
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

bessantj wrote:Just watched outlaw King. It's fun but what the fúck was going on with that ending?
Quite liked it but they properly ran out of ideas with the ending.

Would love to see a filum or series made showing king Bob as the cold, calculating badass that he actually was.
Ulsters Red Hand

Floppykid wrote:Hereditary is the dog's bollocks, but I agree with you fully re-Midsommar.
I get that it isn't afraid to wear its influence on its sleeve/that's the point to an extent, but knowing it was a Wicker Man homage beat for beat didn't help the slog.

I liked Hereditary when I saw it in the cinema but I reckon if I watched it again, everything after that scene would just drag. Haven't say Midsommar but I think it's on Prime now so will probably watch it
Ulsters Red Hand

Watched a couple of movies recently, some crap, some ok ish

Defiance - quite good but reasonably slow I thought but I enjoyed the ending, predictable as it may have been (yes I know it's a true story but didn't know the story beforehand)
Shock and Awe - it was ok, not great, just tried to be Spotlight lite. Harrelson phoned it in there IMO :lol:

Anything else has vanished from memory
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Floppykid wrote:Hereditary is the dog's bollocks, but I agree with you fully re-Midsommar.

I liked Hereditary when I saw it in the cinema but I reckon if I watched it again, everything after that scene would just drag. Haven't say Midsommar but I think it's on Prime now so will probably watch it
I watched Hereditary in the cinema and just found it annoying. I love horror movies but this once just didn't work for me.

Midsommar..............Holy Shit, talk about less than the some of it's parts.

:|
Burke's Boot

Post by Burke's Boot »

Capone was a grim and dour affair made slightly better by Tom Hardy's performance of the now demented but free Fonzo.
Ulsters Red Hand

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:

I watched Hereditary in the cinema and just found it annoying. I love horror movies but this once just didn't work for me.

Midsommar..............Holy Shit, talk about less than the some of it's parts.

:|
I quite liked it just cause it was something different but probably wouldn't watch it again.
Burke's Boot

Post by Burke's Boot »

LandOTurk wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
boere wors wrote:
Floppykid wrote:The Bounty worth watching? (Hopkins and Gibson).
Been maybe 25 years since I last watched it. I do remember that I enjoyed it though.
It cropped up on twitter randomly and looked fairly corny, seems like it might be a reasonably fun film/.
I thought it was very good. An enjoyable yarn.

Up until last week, I always thought Gibson was an Ozzie. Turns out his parents are American and Irish and he lived in Oz for a decade during teenage/early adult years. I assume he has 2 or 3 passports. Regardless of what you think of him as a human being, what do Aussies and Americans think of what nationality he is? Irish claim everyone as theirs.
I believe he comes back here a fair bit as all his siblings are here but unlike the 80s and early 90s he really isn't thought of as Aussie much these days but like Dennis Pennis' joke during the Braveheart media tour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v654Jh5Z9uI
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Finally watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang all the way through.

It was very good and I hope we get to see Val Kilmer in movies again soon.

Not as funny/enjoyable as The Nice Guys, has a bit more edge to it and it plays around with the 4th wall/narrative a lot.
sockwithaticket

Dave Made A Maze - Girl comes home from a weekend trip to find that her boyfriend has built a cardboard maze in their living room, which he won't leave claiming it's a lot bigger on the inside and he's lost. She calls over some friends to help out and they go in after him, surprise and wonder ensues. Fairly average script that doesn't stick the ending, but it's a must watch for the visual invention of the maze. Production team did an amazing job.

Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark - although not director, as writer and producer it's very much a Guillermo Del Toro film and confirms that his slump continues unabashed. It's not scary in the slightest except maybe one scene if you happen to be an arachnophobe. Characters are annoying as shit, the story, such as it is, lacks any compulsion and I'd be hard pushed to tell you the ending as even though I was awake I'm not sure I was conscious by that stage.

Sideways - watched it as it's supposed to be really good and I like Paul Giamatti. Jesus f**king christ. How it has any kind of rep is beyond me. Duller than safety scissors and in possession of two deeply unsympathetic leads whose fates I cared not one jot about. A rare instance of a film I actively regret spending time on.

Assassination Nation - gonzo 21st century re-telling of the Salem Witch trials. Subtle as a rampaging bull, but has a fair amount of style to go with the heavy handed social commentary. Not unlike the first three Purge movies in that respect. Also shares watchability yet inconsequentiality with that series.

Floppykid wrote:Finally watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang all the way through.

It was very good and I hope we get to see Val Kilmer in movies again soon.

Not as funny/enjoyable as The Nice Guys, has a bit more edge to it and it plays around with the 4th wall/narrative a lot.
How were you only doing this now?! It's a cracker. I actually prefer it to The Nice Guys, but then I haven't watched it for a few years, so it may be better in my head only.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

I think Gosling is a funnier goofball detective than Downey Jr.
Though I much prefer Kilmer as the Straight man (pun intended), again it's a shame he got so ill because he's a great leading man. Also it's obviously a shame because it was a debilitating illness, glad he's recovering now though.
I think The Nice Guys just a bit brighter and more playful too.
sockwithaticket

Fair enough. TNG is on Amazon Prime at the moment so maybe I'll rewatch the two together at some point this week.
boere wors

Post by boere wors »

I never get the hype for kiss kiss bang bang on here. Does nothing for me.
The nice guys I enjoy very much, though. Gosling is very funny in it, great chemistry between both leads
sockwithaticket

boere wors wrote:I never get the hype for kiss kiss bang bang on here. Does nothing for me.
The nice guys I enjoy very much, though. Gosling is very funny in it, great chemistry between both leads
Yeah, but you didn't like Knives Out either, so *shrugs*.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

boere wors wrote:I never get the hype for kiss kiss bang bang on here. Does nothing for me.
How can you enjoy The Nice Guys and not Kiss Kiss Bang Bang? They're so similar in tone due to their writer/director and both have good performances.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Watched Artemis Fowl wiv de kids. Complete and utter shite. Something went horribly wrong for Branagh. It's 94 minutes long so you would think it would zip but it meanders around like a drunk at wedding. The acting is muck with Dench doing some weird Scot/Irish grumbling thing, Farrell phoning it in (he must have the highest ever huge movie/shite quality ratio), the kid actor is blurrrgh. Only Josh Gad as some dwarf is ok in a tallest midget sense. It was meant to come out a year ago so I presume something went wrong at testing and they have butchered it as it just makes fück all sense as it is so bitty. Absolutely one of the worst big budget things I have ever seen and not because of the paddywhackery, which is ok, just because it is so bad. The key thing was said by my daughter at the end 'dad that was nothing like the book'.
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

Movie night last night consisted of Rosemary's Baby and Don't Look Now. Hadn't seen either in about 20 years - both tops :thumbup:
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

ZappaMan wrote:Movie night last night consisted of Rosemary's Baby and Don't Look Now. Hadn't seen either in about 20 years - both tops :thumbup:
Jesus lockdown has got you Zappa
Kid A

Post by Kid A »

ZappaMan wrote:Movie night last night consisted of Rosemary's Baby and Don't Look Now. Hadn't seen either in about 20 years - both tops :thumbup:
Both absolute bangers. Don't Look Now is peak psychological horror.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

I have always been a fan of the older Country & Western films with stars such as John Wayne, Audie Murphy, Gary Cooper, Glenn Ford, Jack Palance, Randolph Scott etc. I got it from my father and we used to watch them together (as well as 1950s/60s war films).

I appreciate that for the most part they are nice and simple. A set of good guys (always the palefaces) and the bad ones - injuns or some outlaw gang.

However, until this weekend, I had never seen The Big Country. It was absolutely fantastic with a great score. Loved the intro.

https://youtu.be/QKdmOpXJHR4
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Willie Wyler. Also did The Heiress one of De Havilland's best films.
Watched A Man for All Seasons recently and Paul Scofield's performance is without hyperbole one of the best ever.
One performance that is not the best ever is Tom Hanks in his new yoke Greyhound. Story is convoy, U-boats, battles, end. It's snappy and quick which works against it as their is zero character development. Has some stupid bit with Hanks wooing some wan in a hotel but she says they have to wait shite. It's feels crowbarred in because it is a sort of grounding device and doesn't work. He then sets off and where the film does work is the camera pulls up into aerial pictures and gives both a sense of scale and how the battles got fought. At the start of the film the ships get their name and origin flashed up on screen like 'Harry UK' but inexplicably they just stop doing that after a short while. Its weird and a bit funny like they said 'doesn't work lads' and forgot to delete the initial ones. Also Hanks is like a Mel Gibson written character (apparently Hanks wrote the film) and is blessing himself and dropping to his knees and saying prayers every chance the prick gets. Every time he is given food he makes all of us be quiet for about 5 seconds and then the nob doesn't even eat it. So in summary Blah blah girl blah blah not eat blah jesus blah battle blah battle not eat blah jesus blah battle blah jesus blah dead guy battle eat jesus end
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

Watched Palm Springs on Hulu last night, very enjoyable. Preferred to the King of Staten Island anyway.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

EverReady wrote:Willie Wyler. Also did The Heiress one of De Havilland's best films.
Watched A Man for All Seasons recently and Paul Scofield's performance is without hyperbole one of the best ever.
One performance that is not the best ever is Tom Hanks in his new yoke Greyhound. Story is convoy, U-boats, battles, end. It's snappy and quick which works against it as their is zero character development. Has some stupid bit with Hanks wooing some wan in a hotel but she says they have to wait shite. It's feels crowbarred in because it is a sort of grounding device and doesn't work. He then sets off and where the film does work is the camera pulls up into aerial pictures and gives both a sense of scale and how the battles got fought. At the start of the film the ships get their name and origin flashed up on screen like 'Harry UK' but inexplicably they just stop doing that after a short while. Its weird and a bit funny like they said 'doesn't work lads' and forgot to delete the initial ones. Also Hanks is like a Mel Gibson written character (apparently Hanks wrote the film) and is blessing himself and dropping to his knees and saying prayers every chance the prick gets. Every time he is given food he makes all of us be quiet for about 5 seconds and then the nob doesn't even eat it. So in summary Blah blah girl blah blah not eat blah jesus blah battle blah battle not eat blah jesus blah battle blah jesus blah dead guy battle eat jesus end
He left the filming of The Big Country before completion (handing the reins over to his #2) while he started on Ben Hur. Wyler was known as being a perfectionist, having multiple shots of the same scene because he wanted it just so. Tough to work with apparently, but obviously talented. I think he has 3 Oscars for Best Director but could be wrong. Many of his films' actors won Oscars.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

I thought it was two but you are right. Mrs Miniver, The Best Years of Our Lives and Ben Hur
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Late to the party but watched 1917. Really was excellent. Script a bit light but rip roaring all the same. The editing is some of the best I've seen. Just looked it up and it didn't get an Oscar nomination for editing. The oscars really are some shit show and I reckon it's because the thick fücks didn't realise how many cuts there were.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Been re-watching a lot of 60s and 70s western and war movies, like I used to with my father.

So far seen:
The Undefeated (1969)
The Bridge at Remagen (1969)
A Bridge Too Far (1977)
Midway (1976)
Hell Boats (1970)
Battle of Britain (1969)
The Sand Pebbles (1966)
Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
The Guns of Navarone (1961)
The Desert Fox (1951)
Cross of Iron (1977)
The Passage (1979)

Its been quite the reflection of my childhood. Funny that. The four things we shared - religion, rugby, beer and war/western movies.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Great list.

I've still never seen the Sand pebbles. :(
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

That's a great list. Needs some Ryan's Express.
Watched Robins Wish a documentary about Robin Williams. I did so you didn't have to. Shite with a capital SH. Basically his most recent fly by night missus whose signature was barely dry on the marriage cert when he died craps on about how much they were in love. It's basically half about his disease and half about her explaining that the reason they didn't get on and weren't sleeping together was because of said disease. It's a long litany of excuses and nobody important in his life partakes in it only people trying to explain away how shit they are e.g. the director of the Night at the Museum movies. It has long lingering shots of this missus staring at her art and at the sea which made me want to punch the TV. It was financed by the foundations of the disease he had and wouldn't have got made otherwise. I give in 2 out of 10 and that is mainly because she is hot. Though she obviously made him kill himself so she loses points there.
boere wors

Post by boere wors »

Do I have to watch the first 2 wolverine films before I watch Logan (2017)?
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

I don't think so at all. They are not particularly linear though they are later if you catch my drift.
boere wors

Post by boere wors »

thanks, will give it a try