Chat Forum
It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 10:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9472 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 233, 234, 235, 236, 237  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:49 pm 

Is it on a 49" Samsung?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:56 pm 

Salanya wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Salanya wrote:
I have a local village cinema - proper old school building, but they've got comfy seats. They only show between 3 and 5 different films per week, with 1 or 2 screenings per film per day. Not too bad, but films can turn over quite quickly.

Every film is £4, and popcorn is between £1 and £3 (depending on size). No ripping off, supporting the community, and generally they seem to get good numbers.

The other village cinema 5 miles further charge £6.50 per adult - like I'm going to get ripped off like that :lol:

The nearest Vue cinema charges between £8 and £12 depending on day and time - I guess that's still better than London prices.

What are they screening, Back to the Future?

Nope, all the most popular latest films - I saw Star Wars in the Christmas holidays, they showed 1917, and this week they're showing Emma, The Invisible Man and Parasite.

You lucky so and so, my village cinema gets two 'contemporary' releases 4 - 6 months after their initial theatrical run and due to demographics of the area, it's rarely anything I'm interested in.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:03 pm 

Kid A wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
Welsh movie called Denmark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhPn6Zs ... oJ9AV03Zfs

Looks pretty good

Fair dos that's the worst Welsh accent I've heard since Tom Hardy's grotesque effort in 'Locke'

You missed in Downey Jr. in Doolittle I then assume?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:12 pm 

EverReady wrote:
Is it on a 49" Samsung?

Lol, I'm not a man, I don't feel a need to measure everything ;)

It's a normal medium-sized cinema, decent screen, with capacity for about 200 people I'd guess?

Did I mention the cheap popcorn?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:12 pm 

bessantj wrote:
Kid A wrote:
Spall seems to have gone for some weird Cardiff / Neath hybrid one there. Genuinely terrible. There's been a few of these lately on TV and film. Can they not get Welsh actors in?

Is that what you got? I couldn't make up my mind where he was trying for, missed it wherever it was.

sockwithaticket wrote:
So that's Luke Evans, Michael Sheen and...?

Ioan Gruffudd, Rhys Ifans (Who, even at his tidiest looks like a bad day away from robbing a bank), Peter Wingfield and cheeky answer Christian Bale :proud:

Not forgetting two actors who were nominated for Best Actor at the Oscars - Anthony Hopkins and Jonathan Pryce.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:24 pm 

LandOTurk wrote:
bessantj wrote:
Kid A wrote:
Spall seems to have gone for some weird Cardiff / Neath hybrid one there. Genuinely terrible. There's been a few of these lately on TV and film. Can they not get Welsh actors in?

Is that what you got? I couldn't make up my mind where he was trying for, missed it wherever it was.

sockwithaticket wrote:
So that's Luke Evans, Michael Sheen and...?

Ioan Gruffudd, Rhys Ifans (Who, even at his tidiest looks like a bad day away from robbing a bank), Peter Wingfield and cheeky answer Christian Bale :proud:

Not forgetting two actors who were nominated for Best Actor at the Oscars - Anthony Hopkins and Jonathan Pryce.

They were covered in one of my posts, but as we were initially seeking replacements for RDJ and Rafe Spall I sort of dismissed them on the basis of being decades older than those characters. They're also of an age where only certain types of role are on offer, they're not going to pop up in all sorts of things or be go-to hires.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:26 pm 

Salanya wrote:
EverReady wrote:
Is it on a 49" Samsung?

It's a normal medium-sized cinema, decent screen, with capacity for about 200 people I'd guess?

Probably they are filming you in the toilets Sal. There is always a catch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:49 pm 

EverReady wrote:
Salanya wrote:
EverReady wrote:
Is it on a 49" Samsung?

I haven't used their toilet yet 8)
Oh, and even the parking is free.

Tbh, I think the catch is the location...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:09 am 

LandOTurk wrote:
Kid A wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
Welsh movie called Denmark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhPn6Zs ... oJ9AV03Zfs

Looks pretty good

Fair dos that's the worst Welsh accent I've heard since Tom Hardy's grotesque effort in 'Locke'

You missed in Downey Jr. in Doolittle I then assume?

Yes I did. Gutted.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:13 am 

Salanya wrote:
EverReady wrote:
Salanya wrote:
EverReady wrote:
Is it on a 49" Samsung?

I haven't used their toilet yet 8)
Oh, and even the parking is free.

Tbh, I think the catch is the location...

.......of the cameras, in the toilets.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:36 pm 

I've never watched Apollo 13.
Worth it? Looks like an easy watch/old school Tom Hanks movie.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:38 pm 

Floppykid wrote:

Yeah brilliant film

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:04 am 

Talking of old movies, the Firm was on the other night

Still excellent

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:09 am 

Duff Paddy wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

Yeah brilliant film

Yeah. Hollywoodtastic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:59 pm 

EverReady wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

Yeah brilliant film

Yeah. Hollywoodtastic

Just finished it there. Very feel good, old school Ron Howard/Spielberg-y feel to it.

Maybe First Man spoiled me, but it just lacked weight and felt dated. Not a bad way to spend a couple hours though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:35 am 

First Man had a Malick feel to it at times while Apollo 13 is pure Howard. For me Howard was always the right side of shite

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:14 am 

First Man just had more weight to it in terms of plot/themes. It also examined masculinity a bit rather than just exulted in it.

Both have their place, but Apollo 13's were very much of the Die Hard era.

The effects in First Man were also obviously far better.

Apollo 13's CG holds up ok, though it did look like toy story at times.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:16 am 

Floppykid wrote:
fonzeee wrote:
Ah that's a shame, was thinking of giving Midsommar a watch soon but that's pushed it back in the queue...

Some people love it, but it's not for me.
Give it a go.

Watched this a few days ago, definitely longer than it needed to be but still quite enjoyed it. Not a patch on Hereditary though.

I will say this for Aster, he knows how to create an unsettling atmosphere.

Never seen that actress before but she's pretty good, apart from also being pretty dreamy. That guy from We're the Millers played the shroom part beautifully, brought back some good memories :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:20 am 

Aliens is still great by the way.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:03 am 

Watched Lady Bird belatedly and thought it was great. Ronan gives me a pain in my arse as she is so Billy Barry in her interviews, stage school for the non Irish, but again she is very good. She is very subtle when she needs to be so I have been wrong to not watch her stuff. No Amy Adams but still a great actress. The scenes with her brother are a bit shit but the rest is super

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:59 pm 

Mindhorn randomly popped up on the telly on Sunday night and really enjoyed it.
Poor old Isle of Mann gets an awful going over.

It's a pisstake of Bergerac/John Nettles by the better actor from the mighty boosh.

Essie Davis looking rather well too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:02 pm 

Uncle Fester wrote:
Mindhorn randomly popped up on the telly on Sunday night and really enjoyed it.
Poor old Isle of Mann gets an awful going over.

It's a pisstake of Bergerac/John Nettles by the better actor from the mighty boosh.

Essie Davis looking rather well too.

I saw that in the cinema, quite enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:06 pm 

Apollo 11 is on Netflix. :smug: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:34 am 

Fighting With My Family is a cracking little flick. Laugh out loud funny in places and a well written underdog story. Jack Lowden and Florence Pugh are brilliant. Vince Vaughan also doesn't make me want to punch the screen when he's on, which is a rarity. WWE's not something I've ever been interested in and it kept my attention throughout.

As an aside, I'd not really gotten the fuss people were making over Pugh's looks 'til now. Black hair and heavy eye make up with her pale skin and pretty face... basically my kryptonite.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:11 am 

the guy that plays LUCIFER is a welshman, but i have no idea if he is doing an english accent or a welsh one on that show.Rhys from Americans is also a younger welshman and ofcourse the only other"younger" active Welshman is Matt Ryan (constantine on those CW tV shows) and his british accents makes my ears bleed..was funny to see ryan and Ellis (lucifer) on that crossover episode of CW..it was like the most number of welshman ever seen on American TV :P

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:24 am 

comets wrote:
the guy that plays LUCIFER is a welshman, but i have no idea if he is doing an english accent or a welsh one on that show.Rhys from Americans is also a younger welshman and ofcourse the only other"younger" active Welshman is Matt Ryan (constantine on those CW tV shows) and his british accents makes my ears bleed..was funny to see ryan and Ellis (lucifer) on that crossover episode of CW..it was like the most number of welshman ever seen on American TV :P

Ellis is doing a fairly posh (and slightly camp) English accent in Lucifer. Ryan is clearly Welsh although he seems to be trying to do something a bit northen on occasion. He looked the part, but really didn't sound it. Constantine is meant to be Scouse.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:52 am 

Some interesting free stuff here

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:23 am 

Floppykid wrote:
Iwan Rheon is a good actor, sucks that he decided to be a part of the Motley Crew fluff movie/turkey, that may have put the skids on his career a bit.

You really do come up with some weird stuff at times. That movie was well watched on Netflix and he has a bunch of stuff due to come out.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:20 am 

UncleFB wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
Iwan Rheon is a good actor, sucks that he decided to be a part of the Motley Crew fluff movie/turkey, that may have put the skids on his career a bit.

You really do come up with some weird stuff at times. That movie was well watched on Netflix and he has a bunch of stuff due to come out.

Good book. Shit film.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:32 pm 

Floppykid wrote:
Apollo 11 is on Netflix. :smug: :thumbup:

Finally got the chance to watch it.
Just amazing what was done, the docking footage between the Eagle and Columbia after the landing itself was breathtaking.
The skill, nerve and bravery of the Apollo 11 crew.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:59 pm 

Saw 1917 last weekend. It was pretty good, but not an epic. It was much too linear for me. Although I liked that they didn't try to make it fantastical where he confronts and thwarts German after German. Most of the time he just tried to run away, which is more realistic. 7/10.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:41 am 

mr bungle wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

Good book. Shit film.

I was more commenting on Floppy's comment about the actors career being on the skids because of it. It's not a career ending film.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:50 am 

I know :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:27 am 

Watched Bucarau last night.

Concerns a mysterious remote Brazilian village community and their struggle v nefarious outsiders.

Worth a watch, quite gory.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:44 pm 

Surprised not to see more posts here lately

Watched Contagion there since it popped up on Netflix - good show and ridiculously accurate in the details, even down to a bat in China starting the virus :lol: :uhoh:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:29 am 

I've watched a few films recently, the most notable being:

John Wick 3 - fun, but really rather silly at this point. The expansion of the assassin world and infrastructure has gone too far and some of the fighting feels more video-gamey than in the previous two. Keanu seemed to put on a bit of weight between 2 and 3 which I found quite distracting since there's not supposed to be any time gap between the two and it's a noticable difference.

Kubo and the two strings - had heard it was really good, but it left me cold. There was practically zero humour in it and a whole heap of mawkish, sentimentality, which I'm pretty allergic to in films. The animation is gorgeous, though.

Prospect - really enjoyed this. It's a scrungey bit of lo-fi sci-fi with all the gear looking very analogue. Toxic environment, so every character is in a different cobbled together protective suit. Shades of space western, with it centring on an ambitious prospecting job on a frontier moon replete with the reprobates frontiers attract. Some of the dialogue Pedro Pascal got to deliver was a delight and felt loquacious in a 19th century kind of way. Tightly plotted, well paced and a perfect 90 minute run time.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:13 pm 

The Bounty worth watching? (Hopkins and Gibson).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:58 pm 

Floppykid wrote:

Been maybe 25 years since I last watched it. I do remember that I enjoyed it though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:00 pm 

boere wors wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

Been maybe 25 years since I last watched it. I do remember that I enjoyed it though.

It cropped up on twitter randomly and looked fairly corny, seems like it might be a reasonably fun film/.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:02 pm 

Floppykid wrote:
boere wors wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

It cropped up on twitter randomly and looked fairly corny, seems like it might be a reasonably fun film/.

I've just watched the trailer on IMDB. It is beyond corny, the music, the dialogue, the costumes... :lol: I will give it a rewatch as well soon, looks fun indeed

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9472 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 233, 234, 235, 236, 237  Next