F1 Thread

All things Rugby
Anonymous 1

Re: F1 Thread

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Wilson's Toffee wrote:IMHO there is not a lot more for them to do, except develop drivers like LeClerc etc.(at Haas and Sauber) whilst concentrating on one top driver (a bit like Mercedes do with Hamilton)

Although I think Bottas is a much more natural wingman than Kimi ...
Merc didn't know his limit when they signed Bottas. Plus he was extremely unlikely to not be leading the championship after 4 races this season.
Wilson's Toffee

Post by Wilson's Toffee »

Ja, True, Bottas should be in a better position.

Although Merc is not very likely to sign and cultivate true competition for Lewis (at this stage of his career)
Saint

Post by Saint »

Mercedes next bet is Ocon, and then after that Russell. Whether Ocon actually gets a shot at the big time will largely depend on how Russell gets on when he gets his seat. When he;s had his chances during testing he's been consistently extremely quick
Wilson's Toffee

Reality is interesting - Alonso too old, retiring, Vettel and Lewis at the peak of their careers. Kimi also going down a bit, Ricciardo (sp. !) also starting to look down.

At least Verstappen is on an upward curve (as long as he does not break the cars !) and youngsters like Ocon, Russel, LeClerc on the verge of starting their serious careers. Sainz ? Is he really going to improve much ?
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Wilson's Toffee wrote:Reality is interesting - Alonso too old, retiring, Vettel and Lewis at the peak of their careers. Kimi also going down a bit, Ricciardo (sp. !) also starting to look down.
Kimi is 2 years older than Alonso.
Wilson's Toffee

In really fighting for a F1 championship. In a competitive car. Mental age ?

Kimi is/was also a drunkard and skirt chaser, activities that supposedly keep men young ...
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Gasly confirmed at Red Bull.
Saint

Post by Saint »

Pretty much as expected.

Lando Norris will take Alonso's car during FP1 at Spa, as part of an evaluation to see if he's ready for the seat next season. McLaren's other option appears to be Ocon, with Vandoorne looking pretty certain to be shown the door.
nuffsaid

Post by nuffsaid »

Saint wrote:Pretty much as expected.

Lando Norris will take Alonso's car during FP1 at Spa, as part of an evaluation to see if he's ready for the seat next season. McLaren's other option appears to be Ocon, with Vandoorne looking pretty certain to be shown the door.
Toro Rosso we’re keen on Lando a while back but McLaren said no at the time iirc. So perhaps there are two possibilities for the lad.
Saint

Post by Saint »

nuffsaid wrote:
Saint wrote:Pretty much as expected.

Toro Rosso we’re keen on Lando a while back but McLaren said no at the time iirc. So perhaps there are two possibilities for the lad.
McLaren aren't going to let him go to another team. They don't have enough good stuff going for them at the moment, so he'll either do another season in the lower leagues or they'll give him their spot. My gut suspicion from what I've seen is that he isn't ready yet
Saint

Post by Saint »

Early news coming out of Belgium.....

2021 rule changes may be delayed as currently no new engine supplier wants to sign up (which was half the point of them)
Force India likely to run as Force India for at least one more race; some legal issues have got in the way.
Red Bull trying some new aero to minimise their horsepower loss to Ferrari and Mercedes
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

Well FI are in a weird spot, they've sold their physical things to the Stroll bid, but the entry to the season didn't change hands.
Saint

Post by Saint »

ElementFreak wrote:Well FI are in a weird spot, they've sold their physical things to the Stroll bid, but the entry to the season didn't change hands.
Yeah - they sold the assets because there was adispute amongst the various owners of FI as to actually selling the team as a whole. Stroll does need approval from the rest of the grid to effectively take over the FI entry mid season, but as he's not taken over the team the question of prize money to date has gone away, so that;s a forgone conclusion - the other teams recognise that they need a team in FI's place.

The car's are still liveried up, but the motorhomes are already de-liveried awaiting on new sponsorship, so my guess would be that Spa and maybe Monza will be run as FI, and then you;ll see a new team name after that
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Saint wrote:Early news coming out of Belgium.....

2021 rule changes may be delayed as currently no new engine supplier wants to sign up (which was half the point of them)
Force India likely to run as Force India for at least one more race; some legal issues have got in the way.
Red Bull trying some new aero to minimise their horsepower loss to Ferrari and Mercedes
Red Bull's new mirror design...

I'm relieved to hear that the rule changes for 2012 are delayed. I'm keen to see aero changes come in and I think they will, allowing closer racing...

but I'm a massive fan of the tech in the current power units and I didn't want to see that devolve.
nardol

Post by nardol »

guy smiley wrote:
Saint wrote:Early news coming out of Belgium.....

Red Bull's new mirror design...

I'm relieved to hear that the rule changes for 2012 are delayed. I'm keen to see aero changes come in and I think they will, allowing closer racing...

but I'm a massive fan of the tech in the current power units and I didn't want to see that devolve.
Well RB are about to drop back next year with their Honda's. Get used two a purely 2 way hustle between lead Ferrari driver vs lead Merc driver.

Yawn.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

nardol wrote:
Well RB are about to drop back next year with their Honda's. Get used two a purely 2 way hustle between lead Ferrari driver vs lead Merc driver.

Yawn.
Honda have insane resources at their disposal and a very proud history in motorsport. I think writing their chances off like that is foolish. I'm sure that Ferrari and Merc do have an advantage but there's already a gap between them and Renault in outright power that hasn't prevented RB posing a serious threat at the circuits that suit their handling package.

People like you who cynically write off anything that doesn't suit their narrow view of the world make me want to push old ladies over in the street and spit on schoolchildren.

you disgust me.
nardol

Post by nardol »

how many seasons of Ferrari vs Merc lockouts for both championships will it take for you to see the clear evidence instead of feeling angy when someone challenges YOUR cynically narrow view of the world?
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

I'm not angry.

I pity your small mind. Now, let's not pollute this thread with more of your petty desire to cause trouble.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

guy smiley wrote:
nardol wrote:

Yawn.
Honda have insane resources at their disposal and a very proud history in motorsport. I think writing their chances off like that is foolish.
Well, McLaren and most of the F1 cognoscenti did. Red Bull are with Honda because that's their only option. I agree, it's going to be a Hamilton vs. Vettel fight with Red Bull getting closer to Renault than getting closer to Mercedes or Ferrari.

Is it the camera angle or is that RB halo slightly offset?
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Camera angle... you can see the inside of (our) right hand side more clearly.
Saint

Post by Saint »

The RB Wing mirror appears to be very similar to the Ferrari concept. The other thing to not is the new, extremely shallow, rear wing
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Not a very clear shot but here it is...

Surely track specific? Looking to get a bit more top end at Spa?
Saint

Post by Saint »

guy smiley wrote:Not a very clear shot but here it is...

Surely track specific? Looking to get a bit more top end at Spa?
Very much so, but Spa, Monday and a few more before the end of the season. Will be interesting to see what they've sacrificed in handling
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Saint wrote:
Monday
Probably the driver's least favorite track each year.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

I read that Bottas and Hulkenburg will start with penalties for power units...

https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/103 ... 23328?s=21

not sure whether this guy is accurate or a gossip spreader. Something else I saw somewhere was that, obviously due to this, Bottas get a revised PU which Hamilton won't be using as yet.
Saint

Post by Saint »

Sandstorm wrote:
Saint wrote:
Monday
:lol: Damned autocorrect
Spyglass

Post by Spyglass »

Sandstorm wrote:
Saint wrote:
Monday
:lol:

Closely followed by Tuesday after a Bank Holiday weekend
Saint

Post by Saint »

guy smiley wrote:I read that Bottas and Hulkenburg will start with penalties for power units...

https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/103 ... 23328?s=21

not sure whether this guy is accurate or a gossip spreader. Something else I saw somewhere was that, obviously due to this, Bottas get a revised PU which Hamilton won't be using as yet.
Bottas took a new PU at Silverstone as a precaution, which was of the same revision as his previous (and Hamilton's current PU). In theory the team were hoping to reuse the older unit once they'd had a chance to check it over. If he's had to take another new unit now, then obviously that plan is out of the window; but it would be a major surprise if his current unit has gone kaput. Of course, Hamilton should be due another PU in the next couple of races anyway, which would be of the final revision for this season.....

EDIT - I think I've found the source of this rumour. Hulk suffered an energy store (Battery) failure in practise at Hungary and has reverted to the one he was using earlier in the season. That will not last the rest of the season, so at some point he will take a penalty for that. The same report discussing this refers to Bottas potentially being at risk for a penalty if his current energy store fails.

As far as I can see, neither will be taking a penalty this weekend
nuffsaid

Post by nuffsaid »

Spa is one of my favourite circuits. A mate of mine had a big off at Eau Rouge a few years ago on a track day, making rather a mess of his Lotus Exige. That segment of track must be one of the most amazing driving experiences, flat out in an edgy car.
Saint

Post by Saint »

Force India is dead. Paperwork for a new team entry is sat on a desk in Paris waiting on Jean Todt's signature.
Saint

Post by Saint »

Both Ferrari and Mercedes are taking their engine upgrades this weekend. Rather than refurbing his old engine, Merc are giving Bottas a new engine because the performance differential is so great.

Rain forecast for Saturday and Sunday
lexpat

Post by lexpat »

Saint wrote:Force India is dead. Paperwork for a new team entry is sat on a desk in Paris waiting on Jean Todt's signature.
The king(fisher) is dead, long live the King(fisher)

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/forc ... t/3163087/
nardol

Post by nardol »

Rain at spa is guaranteed epicness

I hope to god we finally get a full wet race
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

nardol wrote:Rain at spa is guaranteed epicness

Where did Schumy run into the back of Coulthard? Spa was it?
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

LandOTurk wrote:

Yep, 1998 and then the Arrows finished 1 and 2 with Hill basically saying he gets the win otherwise the two cars would crash out, even though Ralf was quicker.
johnstrac

Post by johnstrac »

ElementFreak wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:

Yep, 1998 and then the Arrows finished 1 and 2 with Hill basically saying he gets the win otherwise the two cars would crash out, even though Ralf was quicker.
Jordan not Arrows.
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

Yep, my mistake.
Saint

Post by Saint »

I remember it more for Schamacher going apeshit in the pit lane and having to be dragged off of Coultgard accusing him of trying to kill him
Wilson's Toffee

Saint wrote:I remember it more for Schamacher going apeshit in the pit lane and having to be dragged off of Coultgard accusing him of trying to kill him

Maybe he was a bit upset.
Saint

Post by Saint »

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Saint wrote:I remember it more for Schamacher going apeshit in the pit lane and having to be dragged off of Coultgard accusing him of trying to kill him

Maybe he was a bit upset.
I'm not sure where we would be without your insight