F1 Thread

All things Rugby
mr bungle

Re: F1 Thread

Post by mr bungle »

Saint wrote:Just discovered that season 2 of Drive to Survive has landed on Netflix - this season including Ferrare and Merc

Amusingly, neither Hamilton nor Toto appear to know the correct name of their team
Just watched three episodes this morning, very much enjoyed last year’s series too :thumbup:

Quite candid at times. Mics in the Haas office with Steiner telling Grosjean and Magnussen to sharpen up or fark offf.
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

Ferrari in deep shit.

You can tell from the announcement that they've cheated badly last season and it's a face saving exercise.
henry

Post by henry »

Wendigo7 wrote:Ferrari in deep shit.

You can tell from the announcement that they've cheated badly last season and it's a face saving exercise.
This sort of disciplinary fudge reminds me of something...
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

Ferrari Internationale de l'Automobile conduct an investigation that the North Koreans would be proud of.
Saint

Post by Saint »

Bahrain and Vietnam planning to introduce an expedited medical check process for team personnel flying in from Italy - both countries currently have 14 day quarantine rules for anyone arriving from Italy that will apparently be waived.
Geek

Post by Geek »

Saint wrote:Just discovered that season 2 of Drive to Survive has landed on Netflix - this season including Ferrare and Merc

Amusingly, neither Hamilton nor Toto appear to know the correct name of their team
Have watched it all now. Can't believe what a poor man-manager Christian Horner appears to be.
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

Geek wrote:

Have watched it all now. Can't believe what a poor man-manager Christian Horner appears to be.
Gunther was the one who surprised me and not in a good way. Something going wrong and all he does is bitch and moan whilst insulting people. Look at the Merc episode and how Toto just owned the mistakes and seemed to want to get to the bottom of the issues himself. Gunther just likes to swear and blame others.
nardol

Post by nardol »

Gunter im convinced was putting on a no nonsense show for the cameras
Olddantucker

Post by Olddantucker »

Daniel Ricciardo must hate this programme. In both series he comes across as an immature plum.
nardol

Post by nardol »

He did run from that fight at red bull
Saint

Post by Saint »

nardol wrote:He did run from that fight at red bull
What fight? It was fairly clear that RB were going to favour Max from a long way off. Max has the potential to be an all time great, but lets not pretend that Danny was getting close to an even crack of the whip
Olddantucker

Post by Olddantucker »

Saint wrote:
What fight? It was fairly clear that RB were going to favour Max from a long way off. Max has the potential to be an all time great, but lets not pretend that Danny was getting close to an even crack of the whip
Up to him to prove to Red Bull that they should support him properly, if indeed he was seriously being screwed over. Horner was right - Ricciardo did run from the fight. Better to fight on at Red Bull than go to Renault, shirley?
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Olddantucker wrote:
Saint wrote:
Up to him to prove to Red Bull that they should support him properly, if indeed he was seriously being screwed over. Horner was right - Ricciardo did run from the fight. Better to fight on at Red Bull than go to Renault, shirley?

10 million reason to not hang around.
Saint

Post by Saint »

Olddantucker wrote:
Saint wrote:
Even when he was outperforming Max he was treated as second class. He'd already shown he was more consistent, in most instances at least as fast.
nardol

Post by nardol »

Saint wrote:
Olddantucker wrote:
Saint wrote:
Even when he was outperforming Max he was treated as second class. He'd already shown he was more consistent, in most instances at least as fast.
How much did he lose the quali head to head by that last year?

He ran because he was second best and being second best to a team mate is f1 kryptonite
Saint

Post by Saint »

nardol wrote:
Saint wrote:
Olddantucker wrote:
Saint wrote:
How much did he lose the quali head to head by that last year?

He ran because he was second best and being second best to a team mate is f1 kryptonite
He'd outscored Max the previous two seasons but was already getting second class treatment then. TBH I'm kind of surprised he hadn't already decided to leave Red Bull before the start of that season.

Watching the Netflix stuff I'm not at all sure that he hadn't - there's a subtext to that whole episode focusing on him that suggests he'd decided he was GOOOOOONEEEEE before Melbourne P1. He was fairly obviously not the preferred choice and I'm really surprised that Horner thought he was just going to re-sign, unless he thought that there was nowhere else for him to go.

As demonstrated by last season, and the Netflix surrounding it, that left RB in a very big hole
Saint

Post by Saint »

ElementFreak wrote:
Geek wrote:

Gunther was the one who surprised me and not in a good way. Something going wrong and all he does is bitch and moan whilst insulting people. Look at the Merc episode and how Toto just owned the mistakes and seemed to want to get to the bottom of the issues himself. Gunther just likes to swear and blame others.
I agree to an extent, but it's a lot easier to be magnanimous in defeat when you're leading the championship and have won the last 5, vs when you're an upstart manufacturer struggling to finish any race at all

At the same time, the number of adults in team principle positions seems to be fairly limited. Toto for sure, Zak (I know he isn't officially TP but he performs the same function), funnily enough Claire Williams. Horner seems to be very political, I don't really know how Cyril has kept his job, and SF is a terrifying job that by definition you must be insane just to take it on
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

Saint wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:
Geek wrote:

I agree to an extent, but it's a lot easier to be magnanimous in defeat when you're leading the championship and have won the last 5, vs when you're an upstart manufacturer struggling to finish any race at all

At the same time, the number of adults in team principle positions seems to be fairly limited. Toto for sure, Zak (I know he isn't officially TP but he performs the same function), funnily enough Claire Williams. Horner seems to be very political, I don't really know how Cyril has kept his job, and SF is a terrifying job that by definition you must be insane just to take it on
Italian Harry Potter is alright, but you're right about Cyril.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Olddantucker wrote:Daniel Ricciardo must hate this programme. In both series he comes across as an immature plum.
Haven't seen it but I've always thought him leaving Red Bull looked like throwing his toys out of the pram rather than get beaten by Max who was obviously developing rapidly as a very young driver.
handyman

Post by handyman »

Daniel is too nice a guy to win consistently in F1.
Newsome

Post by Newsome »

I always thought the drinking from the shoe thing made him look like a twat.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Horner comes across as a right plonker in that series. The Haas bloke is clearly playing to the cameras and Grosjean comes across as a massive idiot
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

Looks like the other teams are about to go postal on the Ferrari/FIA cover up.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... SApp_Other
Insane_Homer

Post by Insane_Homer »

FIA have screwed the pooch with this secret Ferrari cover up. The other teams are rightly pissed off.

End result is that Ferrari have profited handsomely from their cheating and it's cost the other teams prize money.
Fat Albert

Post by Fat Albert »

BBC reporting Aussie GP off after Mclaren withdrawal due to positive Covid-19 test

Doubt they'll be any races until after the summer break
TB63

Post by TB63 »

Shit! My son's in Melbourne and had picked up a 3 day, access all areas pass! Gutted for him...
nardol

Post by nardol »

Thank god for this at the weekend. No other sport!!!
nardol

Post by nardol »

Noooooooo fudge please say its not off
ScarfaceClaw

Post by ScarfaceClaw »

All the sport is being cancelled. WTF am I meant to watch while working from home.
Saint

Post by Saint »

ScarfaceClaw wrote:All the sport is being cancelled. WTF am I meant to watch while working from home.
Netflix box sets
backrow

Post by backrow »

ScarfaceClaw wrote:All the sport is being cancelled. WTF am I meant to watch while working from home.
pron
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Confirmed cancellation.
toocoldhere

Post by toocoldhere »

Christ they ballsed that one up.

Sounds like they're not expecting to race till at least May.
de_Selby

Post by de_Selby »

Olddantucker wrote:Daniel Ricciardo must hate this programme. In both series he comes across as an immature plum.
The first series he wasn't too bad, just clearly scared of getting beaten by Max, but in the second series he just comes across as a wanker in how he fucks with Hulkenberg

So is the F1 season over before it's even started?
Saint

Post by Saint »

Talk is that everything will be cancelled through to Baku
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

How many months is that? Or races for that matter?

Whats going on in Indy, Nascar etc?
Saint

Post by Saint »

Wendigo7 wrote:How many months is that? Or races for that matter?

Whats going on in Indy, Nascar etc?
Takes us into June. Realistically, given the logistics involved, that's pretty close to the minimum new start date once they've cancelled more than 2 races - the costs of shipping stuff everywhere on the off-chance they can start earlier are huge.
Indy is cancelled through April at minimum, Nascar through till March 27th ATM

Formula-e is cancelled through till May, but May is in what they call "yellow flag" - not cancelled, but not confirmed
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Auto racing at the best of times is hardly a financially successful or break-even sport for a lot of teams. I wonder about the long-term fallout of this.
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

Kimi: Is the race... It it on now?

Alfa Romeo: You will not have the race, sorry.

Kimi: Is it on or not? The race?

Alfa Romeo: No, Kimi.

Kimi: Let me know.

Alfa Romeo: No, you will not have the..

Kimi: No, no, no... Is the GP on or not?

Alfa Romeo: You mean the Australian GP?

Kimi: No, no, is my racing... Am I gonna race or not?

Alfa Romeo: No, no, Kimi no. You will not have the race.
:D :lol: :lol:
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpq9oMLTc-k - A fair few former and current F1 and Indy racers (Colton Herta, Max Verstappen) are in this esports race today. This is live right now.

So is Thibaut Courtois.