F1 Thread

All things Rugby
terryfinch

Re: F1 Thread

Post by terryfinch »

The Optimist wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:38 pm Strange Mclaren put both cars on the soft. All eggs in one basket, the more riskier basket.
Quite shocking how much quicker Norris was than Ricciardo. Norris looked seriously quick and aggressive,
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

terryfinch wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:23 am
The Optimist wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:38 pm Strange Mclaren put both cars on the soft. All eggs in one basket, the more riskier basket.
Quite shocking how much quicker Norris was than Ricciardo. Norris looked seriously quick and aggressive,
It's not shocking, at all. It's Ricciardo's second race meeting in the car and conditions were difficult. Of course his team mate, familiar with the car, would perform better.

There's nothing more to it than that.
Last edited by guy smiley on Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Another enjoyable race :thumbup:
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

guy smiley wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:15 am pssst... *Sandy*...

Imola
D’oh
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

guy smiley wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:26 am
It's not shocking, at all. It's Ricciardo's second race meeting in the car and conditions were difficult. Of course his team mate, familiar with the car, would perform better.

Yeah, guess the guys in new teams have had really limited amount of running on wet tracks. Some racers never get used to it. I'm sure I would crash into someone by corner 1 in those visibility conditions trying to go as hard as possible
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

blindcider wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:15 am

Yeah, guess the guys in new teams have had really limited amount of running on wet tracks. Some racers never get used to it. I'm sure I would crash into someone by corner 1 in those visibility conditions trying to go as hard as possible
Ricciardo was saying during the week that while he's feeling more comfortable with the car, there are still areas that challenge him... he compared to it a sort of 'muscle memory' where he goes to do something that doesn't fit, or he's uncertain where the limit lies...'oh, that's the limit' were his words laughing.

They don't get to spend weeks doing laps in these things. He's still getting used to it... same as some of us might find the audio controls in a new car demand more attention and that's not always ideal in heavy traffic in the rain.

At 150mph.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

Or Norris is simply a faster driver.
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

goose81 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:07 am
bimboman wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:02 pm
Winnie wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:59 pm Most experienced driver in the fastest most reliable car =/= the goat

Certainly that was Lewis in 2008 ...... oh, 2018 and 2019 ...... oh.

Nope still a clown.

Do you actually watch F1 or are you a casual viewer who is a Hamilton fanboy? I'm going to guess the latter

Hamilton isn't even close to being the goat, Russell's performance in the last race proves any decent driver so basically 90% of the grid could win in Hamilton's car. The whole of F1 is a mockery after this result, Perez would beat Hamilton in that Merc and it shows the world how terrible Bottas is. The one decent driver Hamilton came up against beat him (Rosberg)

You like listing Hamilton results year by year, so do you want to list them in their entirety and we can dissect? Because they aren't as pretty as you are painting.

Il tell you what, put Alonso in the Merc next season and put Hamilton in it and see who wins, it wouldn't be Hamilton.

F1 is an absolute joke these last few years and letting Russell drive that car was the worst thing Mercedes could have done for both their car and Hamilton's legacy and Bottas pride.
I don't like Hamilton much at all but he's definitely in the conversation for greatest ever. I was a Rosberg fan, delighted when he took the title, but Hamilton was clearly better than him over their time at Merc as results show. Bottas isn't top drawer, but that doesn't mean a different teammate would beat Hamilton, indeed history shows the opposite is true.
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

Salanya wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:12 pm
bimboman wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:10 pm
Salanya wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:06 pm Lando having a little roll and chat there :thumbup:

Hope he can get himself on the podium.

My kids haven’t decided to support Norris or Russell going forward now Hamilton’s “boring” ..

I’m in the anyone but Max club unfortunately. Mainly because his father is an almighty cock.
Confirms everything I thought about you. (And I don't disagree that Jos is a bit of an arse)

Your kids sound decent though.
The apple really hasn't fallen far personality-wise, elite driver though.
nardol

Post by nardol »

it's probably the single biggest stumbling block for Hamilton in the goat chat.

How much of his career was he actually challenged. It's a valid critique as the merc is just supreme and bottas.... less so.

Nothing Hamilton can really do about it tbh
de_Selby

Post by de_Selby »

Mick Mannock wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:43 am Or Norris is simply a faster driver.
This.

Norris definitely has the goods. I think Riccardo is basically in Vettel territory now as well though. Past glories.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

nardol wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:57 am it's probably the single biggest stumbling block for Hamilton in the goat chat.

How much of his career was he actually challenged. It's a valid critique as the merc is just supreme and bottas.... less so.

Rosberg challenged him.
piquant

Post by piquant »

guy smiley wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:59 am
piquant wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:42 am not sure how the intermediate wearing down to more of a slick profile as was the case when Hamilton was catching before the first pit stop tells us much about the underlying performance of the car

that's a very specific scenario, which might repeat, but isn't likely to be as influential as say who has better tyre management in higher heat conditions
Didn't Hamilton do really well last year in the same worn tyre situation? Posting consistent, quick laps on well worn tyres and conserving them seems to be par for the course for him, in that car.
So many variables going into that around how the tyres perform when the blocks wear down, maybe if it happens again it'll suit Lewis, maybe not, but we might not even get that scenario again this season, nor one of staying out so many laps. Lewis nearly made if work this time only for his pit crew to throw it away, and Max putting in a decent lap once he'd wobbled his way out of the pits
piquant

Post by piquant »

de_Selby wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:00 am
Mick Mannock wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:43 am Or Norris is simply a faster driver.
This.

Norris definitely has the goods. I think Riccardo is basically in Vettel territory now as well though. Past glories.

Is calling him Riccardo a bored thing?
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

piquant wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:01 am
guy smiley wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:59 am
piquant wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:42 am not sure how the intermediate wearing down to more of a slick profile as was the case when Hamilton was catching before the first pit stop tells us much about the underlying performance of the car

that's a very specific scenario, which might repeat, but isn't likely to be as influential as say who has better tyre management in higher heat conditions
Didn't Hamilton do really well last year in the same worn tyre situation? Posting consistent, quick laps on well worn tyres and conserving them seems to be par for the course for him, in that car.
So many variables going into that around how the tyres perform when the blocks wear down, maybe if it happens again it'll suit Lewis, maybe not, but we might not even get that scenario again this season, nor one of staying out so many laps. Lewis nearly made if work this time only for his pit crew to throw it away, and Max putting in a decent lap once he'd wobbled his way out of the pits
Wet races are a massive lottery :lol:
de_Selby

Post by de_Selby »

piquant wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:02 am
de_Selby wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:00 am
This.

Is calling him Riccardo a bored thing?
I was questioning my spelling but just went with it.. so I'll say yes.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

LandOTurk wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:19 pm F1 agree 10 year deal with Miami for 2nd US race in the US. 45 minutes from me. :thumbup:
Austin probably not long for this world then.

A Miami street race has failed 3 separate times. On to attempt #4!
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Flyin Ryan wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:45 pm
LandOTurk wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:19 pm F1 agree 10 year deal with Miami for 2nd US race in the US. 45 minutes from me. :thumbup:

F1 saying they want 2, possibly 3 US races per year.
piquant

Post by piquant »

One can only hope it'd be the rare example of an interesting street circuit
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

nardol wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:57 am it's probably the single biggest stumbling block for Hamilton in the goat chat.

Schumacher had it in his contract that the other driver was his number two.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

The circuit is in and around the area where Dolphins' Hard Rock stadium is located. I know it pretty well and large parts of that area are ghetto. F1 desperately wanted to use one of the bridges between Miami Beach and Miami for the race but council rejected based on effect on residents' daily life.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

LandOTurk wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:51 pm
Flyin Ryan wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:45 pm

F1 saying they want 2, possibly 3 US races per year.
They've been having sanctioning fee issues with COTA and there's been rumors of if they leave Austin for awhile now, first starting when the New York City street circuit was in discussion with it even being given a provisional date on the calendar, and that disappeared into nowhere. NASCAR added a race at the track to the schedule starting this year and that will be significantly more financially rewarding than F1 as you'll probably get same to more fans attending without the gigantic sanctioning fee you have to pay to host F1. So if F1 leaves, they still have a flagship event that makes bank.

As far as elsewhere, Indianapolis has been mentioned a couple times recently which struck me as odd, although Bernie's out of the picture now. The track is now owned by Roger Penske, and unless he gets a good deal I don't see a savvy businessman like Penske going for it, which probably means it won't happen. The issue with everywhere else is risk vs. reward. F1 wants a big city which knocks out every decent permanent road course in the country (Austin being an outlier because it's a permanent facility built closer to a big city, specifically for F1). Really the biggest city permanent road course you have is Portland, and if the F1 brigade think Indianapolis is beneath them (well, Bernie did), they probably think likewise about Portland (plus it's on the wrong coast for European audiences). That leaves street courses when the vast vast majority of street events are proven losers. A return to Long Beach - one of the few on this continent that have proven long-term successful alongside Toronto, Montreal, and St. Petersburg - for example would probably make sense, but you're asking the city to spend several million dollars more for no guarantee of getting more return than what they get now with an Indycar race.
Last edited by Flyin Ryan on Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

LandOTurk wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:11 pm The circuit is in and around the area where Dolphins' Hard Rock stadium is located. I know it pretty well and large parts of that area are ghetto. F1 desperately wanted to use one of the bridges between Miami Beach and Miami for the race but council rejected based on effect on residents' daily life.
The first draft circuit layout they put out was horrid-looking. About as bad as some of the Formula E courses where you can tell they were told they could only use 6 blocks.

guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Some here know better, of course... but drivers take time to adapt to different cars and Imola is unforgiving.
"I don't look at what other guys are doing to be honest, but certainly it is a big task to change teams and then get to drive on your second weekend your car in these conditions," he said.

"It is pretty brutal. So, I think I am not there yet, although I got a good lap yesterday, you saw today how far I was, and how difficult and tricky things still are.

"So, I think I am just learning, and it is a process that we are making good steps, and hopefully we will learn from today again."

Perez conceded that Imola was a tough test: "It is one of the worst places you can come with a new car, to be honest, because a little mistake here in qualifying or in the race can be very costly.
Alonso recognises that it's been a tough job for all the drivers in new seats this year, but he insists that the Imola weekend provided a good education.

"Probably yes, I'd tend to agree," he said after the race. "It looks like that, and it feels kind of obvious that every lap I do, every lap we do, these drivers, we feel more comfortable."
"It is a lovely track so it bites when you get things wrong, which is the purpose," said the German. "I need that last bit of confidence, maybe these drivers new in teams struggle a bit more. I think I just struggled to put everything in that one lap yesterday, which is ultimately the last bit of confidence.

Vettel's Aston team boss Otmar Szafnauer has sympathy for the plight of the former world champion.

"If the car philosophies are completely different then it does take time," he said. "And, you know, having talked to Checo [Perez] too, he's gone to a Red Bull, which has a different philosophy to ours.

"And he says the same, that it's just gonna take seat time to be able to get to those fine, fine margins of getting the most out of the car."
McLaren boss Andreas Seidl agreed that the curtailed testing schedule has not helped Ricciardo and the other team movers get up to speed. However he insisted that everyone just has to accept the circumstances.

"I won't say it's a surprise," Seidl said on Sunday. "We know it's not just straightforward to jump from one car into another one, when you only have one and a half days of testing.

"I think there's no point complaining about the one and a half days of testing, because that was an agreement between all teams in order to only have one test this year to save costs.

"But these cars are complex. And then to find these last two-three-four tenths, which make then also, let's say, the difference when you really not comfortable to push these cars to the limit, that's not that straightforward to find and get out of these cars. That takes time. But, again, this isn't a surprise."
Sainz gave an intriguing insight into the fine margins involved: "Today maybe it was the kerb riding, how the car will react to the kerb, depending on the angle that I attack the kerb.

"And I was caught out a couple of times in all these chicanes by maybe catching the kerb in a different angle, and getting out of position.

"Here there's very long straights after those kerbs and I was missing one or two tenths in the straight after because of that.

"Basically that's what I'm talking about, just knowing how the car is going to react to which angle, and being super precise on the angle of attack to know that in the next straight
P in VG

Post by P in VG »

[quote="Flyin Ryan]

The first draft circuit layout they put out was horrid-looking. About as bad as some of the Formula E courses where you can tell they were told they could only use 6 blocks.
[/quote]

This is the proposed new track circuit (around the Dolphins stadium)
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

guy smiley wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:00 am

Rosberg challenged him.
Rosberg only came out ahead of LH in one season where LH had a series of car issues and DNFs. Even then he only just beat him to the title.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

blindcider wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:15 am

That’s if you could reach the first corner without stalling.

Spoiler * this would be unlikely.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Mercedes testing 18inch wheels and tyres...

Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

LandOTurk wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:11 pm The circuit is in and around the area where Dolphins' Hard Rock stadium is located. I know it pretty well and large parts of that area are ghetto. F1 desperately wanted to use one of the bridges between Miami Beach and Miami for the race but council rejected based on effect on residents' daily life.
that's a shame, maybe they will change their minds in future. What a race venue Miami will be though, humid experience for the drivers mind.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

guy smiley wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:24 am Some here know better, of course... but drivers take time to adapt to different cars and Imola is unforgiving.
"I don't look at what other guys are doing to be honest, but certainly it is a big task to change teams and then get to drive on your second weekend your car in these conditions," he said.

"It is pretty brutal. So, I think I am not there yet, although I got a good lap yesterday, you saw today how far I was, and how difficult and tricky things still are.

"So, I think I am just learning, and it is a process that we are making good steps, and hopefully we will learn from today again."

Perez conceded that Imola was a tough test: "It is one of the worst places you can come with a new car, to be honest, because a little mistake here in qualifying or in the race can be very costly.
Alonso recognises that it's been a tough job for all the drivers in new seats this year, but he insists that the Imola weekend provided a good education.

"Probably yes, I'd tend to agree," he said after the race. "It looks like that, and it feels kind of obvious that every lap I do, every lap we do, these drivers, we feel more comfortable."
"It is a lovely track so it bites when you get things wrong, which is the purpose," said the German. "I need that last bit of confidence, maybe these drivers new in teams struggle a bit more. I think I just struggled to put everything in that one lap yesterday, which is ultimately the last bit of confidence.

Vettel's Aston team boss Otmar Szafnauer has sympathy for the plight of the former world champion.

"If the car philosophies are completely different then it does take time," he said. "And, you know, having talked to Checo [Perez] too, he's gone to a Red Bull, which has a different philosophy to ours.

"And he says the same, that it's just gonna take seat time to be able to get to those fine, fine margins of getting the most out of the car."
McLaren boss Andreas Seidl agreed that the curtailed testing schedule has not helped Ricciardo and the other team movers get up to speed. However he insisted that everyone just has to accept the circumstances.

"I won't say it's a surprise," Seidl said on Sunday. "We know it's not just straightforward to jump from one car into another one, when you only have one and a half days of testing.

"I think there's no point complaining about the one and a half days of testing, because that was an agreement between all teams in order to only have one test this year to save costs.

"But these cars are complex. And then to find these last two-three-four tenths, which make then also, let's say, the difference when you really not comfortable to push these cars to the limit, that's not that straightforward to find and get out of these cars. That takes time. But, again, this isn't a surprise."
Sainz gave an intriguing insight into the fine margins involved: "Today maybe it was the kerb riding, how the car will react to the kerb, depending on the angle that I attack the kerb.

"And I was caught out a couple of times in all these chicanes by maybe catching the kerb in a different angle, and getting out of position.

"Here there's very long straights after those kerbs and I was missing one or two tenths in the straight after because of that.

"Basically that's what I'm talking about, just knowing how the car is going to react to which angle, and being super precise on the angle of attack to know that in the next straight
Norris > Ricciardo ;)
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Oh of course...

I mean, British Bulldog eh what
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

He might prove to be. But it’s only you Brit fan bois calling it done and dusted so early in DR’s career at McLaren.
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

Need a good 6 races to see how a driver is adjusting to a new team.
The Optimist

Post by The Optimist »

Strange they change the Canadian GP to Turkey, due to the coronavirus... I thought Turkey was doing poorly and recently declared a lockdown.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

The Optimist wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:26 pm Strange they change the Canadian GP to Turkey, due to the coronavirus... I thought Turkey was doing poorly and recently declared a lockdown.

Easy to travel to and managed a decent bio secure event last year.
de_Selby

Post by de_Selby »

guy smiley wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:24 am Some here know better, of course... but drivers take time to adapt to different cars and Imola is unforgiving.

P16 for Ricciardo
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

And again.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

terryfinch wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:01 pm
And again.
Ricciardo is so slow it's suggesting he is having issues that can probably be fixed.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:24 pm
And again.
Ricciardo is so slow it's suggesting he is having issues that can probably be fixed.
That doesn’t fit the narrative :lol:
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

guy smiley wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:41 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:24 pm
And again.
That doesn’t fit the narrative :lol:
He wasnt this slow in the earlier races.