F1 Thread

All things Rugby
Anonymous 1

Re: F1 Thread

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Flyin Ryan wrote:
Saint wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:
Saint wrote:The trouble is that the money simply isn't there outside of F1 either in direct pay or endorsement. F1 is where it's at, and unless/until it changes there's no reason for someone who thinks he'll make it to go elsewhere.
At best, we're going to have a very bad recession. At worst, a depression on the level of the 1930s. I'm willing to bet any amount of money auto racing is changing. And this is for an international global travel-based series where we have travel restrictions from one country to another and the best-case scenario for a vaccine is 18 months from now and minimum 1 million dead globally once all the excess desths from countries lying about their number of cases are considered.

Have a nice day.

Edit: Sainz to Ferrari, Ricciardo to McLaren per Autosport.

All true (except the vaccine, part, best case is actual a proven vaccine with production starting THIS Septemeber), and yet all irrelevent to the discussion. The really big money is in F1. The really big money will stay in F1. The overall differential between F1 and ANY other series will remain, unless F1 goes and imploads, and despite scare stories, that's not currently on the cards.

At minimum F1 could run as a European based series for a season and still have much larger global TV rights than any other series.
You are way more optimistic on a vaccine than I am. You must work in politics.

It could easily become sportscar racing in the matter of 2 to 3 years as far as the finances of running it where you have one or 2 superteams and then you're on to the gentlemen. In what is going to be a very bad economic climate it's dependent on massive subsidies from carmakers when no one has been buying cars the past couple months, governments when international tourism has at the moment died and long-term will certainly decline, and corporate sponsorship which good luck keeping that at current levels. We know what happens in auto racing when the money disappears: Lance Stroll and Nicolas Latifi move up the field.
He is not being more optimistic than you he is just pointing out you were wrong
Flyin Ryan wrote:the best-case scenario for a vaccine is 18 months from now
Oxford scientists say a vaccine may be widely available by September

In the global race to find a vaccine, Oxford University just jumped way ahead of the pack. Human testing is already underway, and scientists say they're hopeful a coronavirus vaccine will be widely available by September.

Technology the lab had already developed in previous work on inoculations for other viruses, including a close relative of COVID-19, gave it a head start.

"Well personally, I have a high degree of confidence about this vaccine, because it's technology that I've used before," said Sarah Gilbert, a professor of vaccinology at the university.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronaviru ... niversity/
Saint

Post by Saint »

Flyin Ryan wrote:
Saint wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:
Saint wrote:The trouble is that the money simply isn't there outside of F1 either in direct pay or endorsement. F1 is where it's at, and unless/until it changes there's no reason for someone who thinks he'll make it to go elsewhere.
At best, we're going to have a very bad recession. At worst, a depression on the level of the 1930s. I'm willing to bet any amount of money auto racing is changing. And this is for an international global travel-based series where we have travel restrictions from one country to another and the best-case scenario for a vaccine is 18 months from now and minimum 1 million dead globally once all the excess desths from countries lying about their number of cases are considered.

Have a nice day.

Edit: Sainz to Ferrari, Ricciardo to McLaren per Autosport.

All true (except the vaccine, part, best case is actual a proven vaccine with production starting THIS Septemeber), and yet all irrelevent to the discussion. The really big money is in F1. The really big money will stay in F1. The overall differential between F1 and ANY other series will remain, unless F1 goes and imploads, and despite scare stories, that's not currently on the cards.

At minimum F1 could run as a European based series for a season and still have much larger global TV rights than any other series.
You are way more optimistic on a vaccine than I am. You must work in politics.

It could easily become sportscar racing in the matter of 2 to 3 years as far as the finances of running it where you have one or 2 superteams and then you're on to the gentlemen. In what is going to be a very bad economic climate it's dependent on massive subsidies from carmakers when no one has been buying cars the past couple months, governments when international tourism has at the moment died and long-term will certainly decline, and corporate sponsorship which good luck keeping that at current levels. We know what happens in auto racing when the money disappears: Lance Stroll and Nicolas Latifi move up the field.
I think in the short term while funding levels may decrease, they won't stop. And next seasons cars are this seasons cars as it is now that they've pushed the rule changes, so cost cutting is effectively built in already.

Re the vaccine, one is already being tested just up the road from here and from everything I've read the expectations are very high - the technology behind it is proven, tested, and know to be safe, the animal testing has been very effective even when exposed to very high levels of COVID19, and the biggest challenge they're actually forseeing is that under lockdown it will be difficult to show that it's actually effective in humans unless they break ethics rules and deliberately expose people. Assuming they can prove it works in humans, and not just Rhesus Monkeys, they're expecting to be ready for industrial scale production by September, and a number of the big pharmas are already prepping for that.
Fat Albert

Post by Fat Albert »

Vettel gggoooonnnneeee

Sainz to Ferrari, Ricciardo to Mclaren, Alonso to Renault
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

Alonso to renault confirmed?
Saint

Post by Saint »

Wendigo7 wrote:Alonso to renault confirmed?

Nope
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

Saint wrote:

Nope
Thank you Saint. Wondered if that was speculation above.

Also hot take - Zak Brown is the 2nd best team principal on the grid behind Toto Wolff. The most accessible and likable team principal too.
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

First motor race of the year I can see for anyone interested:

IndyCar - 6th June Texas Motor Speedway

Likely it'll be on sky sports in the UK.
Saint

Post by Saint »

Wendigo7 wrote:
Saint wrote:

Nope

Also hot take - Zak Brown is the 2nd best team principal on the grid behind Toto Wolff. The most accessible and likable team principal too.
There's a very strong rumour mill kicking around, aided and abetted by Renault and Alonso's twitter feeds. But Renault have also had an ambition to promote drivers from their junior programme for a long time, so this could be the chance for them.

I also see Cyril making some sly digs about loyalty and commitment art Danny and I'm thinking wtf is he on?
Last edited by Saint on Thu May 14, 2020 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Wendigo7 wrote:First motor race of the year I can see for anyone interested:

NASCAR has their first race back on Sunday.
Last edited by Flyin Ryan on Thu May 14, 2020 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saint

Post by Saint »

F1 still targeting Austria in early July. Austria is actually looking pretty safe,the biggest issue will be getting the teams there. Silverstone still being targeted for a double GP long weekend
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

Flyin Ryan wrote:

oh nice, my weekend has just got alot better.

When is qualifying and the race and how can I watch it?
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

I've also seen noted elsewhere, there's no publication on this but it seems to be a sticking rumour:

Aston Martin will join F1 with the new regs in 2022.

Adrian Newey, Toto Wolff and Lewis Hamilton will all join Aston Martin. Take it with a bloody large pinch of salt but a few I've seen are mentioning this.
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

Saint wrote:
Wendigo7 wrote:
Saint wrote:

Nope

There's a very strong rumour mill kicking around, aided and abetted by Renault and Alonso's twitter feeds. But Renault have also had an ambition to promote drivers from their junior programme for a long time, so this could be the chance for them.

I also see Cyril making some sly digs about loyalty and commitment art Danny and I'm thinking wtf is he on?
He can shove it after quickly ditching Hulkenberg last year. Also Zhou doesn't seem to have the super license points because he hasn't finished higher enough in F2?

Also other piece of news. The new F1 budget cap is £145mil. Ferrari are currently operating at £500mil budget. They seem to be evaluating about a serious punt at moving to IndyCar. I mean if Ferrari seriously move into IndyCar, what a boon for the sport that would be.
Saint

Post by Saint »

Wendigo7 wrote:
Saint wrote:
Wendigo7 wrote:
Saint wrote:

Nope

He can shove it after quickly ditching Hulkenberg last year. Also Zhou doesn't seem to have the super license points because he hasn't finished higher enough in F2?

Also other piece of news. The new F1 budget cap is £145mil. Ferrari are currently operating at £500mil budget. They seem to be evaluating about a serious punt at moving to IndyCar. I mean if Ferrari seriously move into IndyCar, what a boon for the sport that would be.
They've already said it would be in addition to their F1 programme, not instead of. I don't really see the attraction in Indy for Ferrari - their complaint with the direction F1 is taking is the greater standardisation of parts, so they want to move into a series where almost everything is standardised?

If Ferrari had a track record of producing awesome engines then I could see the point, but they really don't - the history of Ferrari engines over the last 30 odd years is actually pretty embarrassing for them
Saint

Post by Saint »

Wendigo7 wrote:I've also seen noted elsewhere, there's no publication on this but it seems to be a sticking rumour:

Adrian Newey, Toto Wolff and Lewis Hamilton will all join Aston Martin. Take it with a bloody large pinch of salt but a few I've seen are mentioning this.
Yeah,nah. Racing Point will rebrand as AM - that's looked a near certainty since Stroll Snr got involved in AM. But I don't see them suddenly having the kind of money needed for that rumour to work. Not to mention that I don't see Lewis sticking around for long if he picks up another title, unless there's enough competition to keep him interested.
Saint

Post by Saint »

Wendigo7 wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:

UK rights are Premier Sports, which you can access as a premium to sky I think.

Otherwise it's VPN streaming time
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Wendigo7 wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:

No idea on qualifying because it's a very cutdown weekend. It's an "invented race" in the sense of this is something being added to the calendar because races elsewhere are disappearing. (There are 2 Wednesday night races coming up also. NASCAR are living off their TV rights fees and have to do 36 races.) This track is close to where almost all the teams are based. For the first month or so they're not leaving the Southeast. The IndyCar opener at Texas is being paired with a NASCAR race that weekend.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Wendigo7 wrote:I've also seen noted elsewhere, there's no publication on this but it seems to be a sticking rumour:

Isn’t Toto a shareholder in the Mercedes team?
Saint

Post by Saint »

mr bungle wrote:

30% owner. He also has a small stake in Aston Martin, but then so does Daimler
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Saint wrote:
mr bungle wrote:

If he doesn’t go off and run something major somewhere else outside of Motor sport. He’s a very impressive man.
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

Saint wrote:
mr bungle wrote:

Newey also produces Aston Martin road cars as well, but yes I take your point it does look very unlikely.
Saint

Post by Saint »

Wendigo7 wrote:
Saint wrote:
mr bungle wrote:

Newey also produces Aston Martin road cars as well, but yes I take your point it does look very unlikely.
Yeah, Newey's link to AM comes via RedBull who effectively share him in return for sponsorship. How that continues moving forwards is anyone's guess
Saint

Post by Saint »

Alonso to Renault starting to look likely - it appears that Liberty will be picking up some of the bill
Saint

Post by Saint »

Some interesting rumours kicking around.....

Daimler are apparently quite keen on getting Vettel into Bottas seat - Toto not unreasonably is against this pointing out that having Seb and Lewis in one team is likely only to end up one way - with both cars in the wall.

In the meantime, Toto is getting very keen on having Russell replace Bottas, feeling that if they don't move him up rapidly alongside his peers then he could be another loss to the Mercedes young driver programme.

Finally, it looks like Quarantine could completely scupper any thoughts of a Silverstone double header - or even a single Silverstone race.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Saint wrote:Some interesting rumours kicking around.....

Daimler are apparently quite keen on getting Vettel into Bottas seat - Toto not unreasonably is against this pointing out that having Seb and Lewis in one team is likely only to end up one way - with both cars in the wall.

In the meantime, Toto is getting very keen on having Russell replace Bottas, feeling that if they don't move him up rapidly alongside his peers then he could be another loss to the Mercedes young driver programme.

Finally, it looks like Quarantine could completely scupper any thoughts of a Silverstone double header - or even a single Silverstone race.

Looking at the unlocking of Europe, hotels and Villas opening etc , quarantine won’t be in place in July.
Saint

Post by Saint »

bimboman wrote:

Looking at the unlocking of Europe, hotels and Villas opening etc , quarantine won’t be in place in July.
Given how much planning needs to take place, the Government will likely need to confirm that by the end of this month.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Saint wrote:
bimboman wrote:

Given how much planning needs to take place, the Government will likely need to confirm that by the end of this month.

Possibly, I expect the Uk holiday industry to be getting a signal for 5th July.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Saint wrote:Alonso to Renault starting to look likely - it appears that Liberty will be picking up some of the bill
Guaranteed Renault will be shit then.
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

When do we expect this move to occur, not this year but next year?
Saint

Post by Saint »

Wendigo7 wrote:

When do we expect this move to occur, not this year but next year?
All moves being discussed at the moment are for 2021
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

With Webber and Leclerc Vettel has shown he is a terrible team mate. I'd absolutely love to see him and Lewis in the same team. However Vettel and. Max would br first choice
Last edited by Anonymous 1 on Thu May 21, 2020 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Anonymous. wrote:

With Webber and Leclerc Vettel has shown he is a terrible team mate. I'd absolutely love to see him and Lewis in the same team.

:lol:
Saint

Post by Saint »

Looks like the F1 cost cap is set to be approved at $145 million for 2021. Also some interesting handicapping ideas, such as increased wind tunnel time for poorly performing teams to aid aero development

Going to be interesting to see how this works, with the major formula change being delayed till 2022, by when the cap will have
Saint

Post by Saint »

First 8 races of the season confirmed. Double header in Austria, then Hungary. 2 week break followed by around me header at Silverstone, then Spain, Belgium, and Italy. All behind closed doors. More races tbc, expected to finish the season between 15 and 18 races with Bahrain and Abu Dhabi mid December
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Saint wrote:First 8 races of the season confirmed. Double header in Austria, then Hungary. 2 week break followed by around me header at Silverstone, then Spain, Belgium, and Italy. All behind closed doors. More races tbc, expected to finish the season between 15 and 18 races with Bahrain and Abu Dhabi mid December

Austria over 2 weekends , silverstone over one?
Turch17

Post by Turch17 »

Silverstone over 2 weeks as well.
First and second Sunday of August
maverickmak

Post by maverickmak »

Mercs to race in Black for 2020!

I actually quite like it. Giving me Tron vibes.
Large: show
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

So Vettel says there was never any contract offer from Ferrari and they just told him to fuck off. Vettel is a selfish, shit team mate who won't follow team orders even if it's paying his team mate back after he has benefited. Yet Vettel says he was surprised Ferrari didn't want him.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Hamilton 6tenths ahead of Max in third at the end of FP1