F1 Thread

All things Rugby
Anonymous 1

Re: F1 Thread

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Onto ignore it is

Post by 4071 »

Despite the drama of the first race, and the performances of Norris and LeClerc to get on the podium, the ONLY reason that wasn't a very distant 1-2 for Merc is because of bad luck and the safety cars. Which does not bode well for a competitive season - it's not so much fun when it's two drivers competing for first and second and then an 8-car midfield, a 8-car group of also-rans and Williams.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

4071 wrote:Despite the drama of the first race, and the performances of Norris and LeClerc to get on the podium, the ONLY reason that wasn't a very distant 1-2 for Merc is because of bad luck and the safety cars. Which does not bode well for a competitive season - it's not so much fun when it's two drivers competing for first and second and then an 8-car midfield, a 8-car group of also-rans and Williams.
If Leclerc has a decent run in the next race the championship could still be alive as Ferrari expect to have all they upgrades ready for the third race.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Anonymous. wrote:
4071 wrote:Despite the drama of the first race, and the performances of Norris and LeClerc to get on the podium, the ONLY reason that wasn't a very distant 1-2 for Merc is because of bad luck and the safety cars. Which does not bode well for a competitive season - it's not so much fun when it's two drivers competing for first and second and then an 8-car midfield, a 8-car group of also-rans and Williams.
If Leclerc has a decent run in the next race the championship could still be alive as Ferrari expect to have all they upgrades ready for the third race.

They qualified .7 seconds behind the Mercedes on what’s nearly a standard 1 minute lap. That’s the equivalent of over a second at silverstone , that’s a years worth of development.
handyman

Post by handyman »

bimboman wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:

They qualified .7 seconds behind the Mercedes on what’s nearly a standard 1 minute lap. That’s the equivalent of over a second at silverstone , that’s a years worth of development.
It seems there might be rain this weekend, could help to level things out.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

handyman wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:

Great, we were discussing the season not one race. I was referring to a gap on a standard one minute lap. You stick to “tractor” racing.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

bimboman wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:

Don't shoot the messenger
Speaking on Friday ahead of the Austrian Grand Prix, Binotto told Motorsport.com: “In winter testing the car was not performing as expected.

“The car on track was not performing as we saw in the design that we did at home, so there was a miscorrelation from design to track.

“Obviously we had to understand it first. We started trying really to understand it as soon as we were back home at the factory, and during the shutdown period that was not possible. I think we realised that, from the aero point of view mainly, there were some miscorrelations.

“Eventually I think we [realised we] pushed a lot our project, on trying to seek a lot of downforce to lift up what was our situation last year in terms of weaknesses. I think that eventually whatever we developed was too fragile in terms of aero robustness when being on track.”

Binotto confirmed that currently Ferrari are very much at the stage of taking a step back and understanding what action they need to take.

And while the team are confident of bringing upgrades to ultimately address the issue, Binotto said stage one isn’t going to be ready until the Hungarian Grand Prix, Round 3 of the season.

“What we are trying to do now is simply to step back, try to understand, reassess the problem and move forward later on,” he confirmed.

“Our hope is to bring some developments already in Hungary, nothing before. And hopefully by Hungary, we will not address all our issues, but we will have a definite step forward in our performance. I think by then, we can understand where we are compared to our main competitors.”
https://www.planetf1.com/news/mattia-bi ... one-wrong/
nardol

Post by nardol »

Bullshit

Ferrari got caught with a cheating engine.

Now looking for any excuse under the heavens except acknowledging that they are cheating cnuts with a bullshit engine.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Yeah, all the Ferrari powered cars were down about the same on last year (pre confirmation on burning oil) , but it’s the Aero that’s the problem. :lol:
handyman

Post by handyman »

bimboman wrote:
handyman wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:

Great, we were discussing the season not one race. I was referring to a gap on a standard one minute lap. You stick to “tractor” racing.
Aren't Ferrari getting major upgrades from the 3rd race?
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

nardol wrote:Bullshit

Now looking for any excuse under the heavens except acknowledging that they are cheating cnuts with a bullshit engine.
If come the third race you can see the difference in the aero and the car is significantly faster I guess you could say they were probably telling the truth. If not I guess you could conclude they were lying.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Anonymous. wrote:
nardol wrote:Bullshit

If come the third race you can see the difference in the aero and the car is significantly faster I guess you could say they were probably telling the truth. If not I guess you could conclude they were lying.

Or burning the castrol again.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

I agree. The season last year was over after 4 races. If the next 2 rounds are like this race minus the safety cars and shenanigans, it'll be the same.
nardol

Post by nardol »

Loving the back 2 back races.
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

johnstrac wrote:Is Hamilton still banging on about the inequalities of the past while driving Hitler's car ?
I'm amazed you can walk around and not cut yourself on how edgy you are...
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

Thoughts about Alonso coming back? I'm very meh about it. Just move on, he had a great career and I don't think he'll get his 3rd WDC unfortunately.
nardol

Post by nardol »

FA has pissed off every team he has been at. Renault is literally the last team left.
Turch17

Post by Turch17 »

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... Ixdct.html

Mugello and Sochi added to the calendar
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Red bull a no to Vettel.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

bimboman wrote:Red bull a no to Vettel.
When is the last time Red Bull hired a veteran, Mark Webber?
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

ElementFreak wrote:Thoughts about Alonso coming back? I'm very meh about it. Just move on, he had a great career and I don't think he'll get his 3rd WDC unfortunately.
Double world champion in his mid 20s. Undoubtedly a very talented driver who twice moved to a team with a car capable of winning the championship but never managed to get the job done. I cannot believe he feels he has had a great career.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Flyin Ryan wrote:
bimboman wrote:Red bull a no to Vettel.
When is the last time Red Bull hired a veteran, Mark Webber?
Teams will put up with a Multi 21 kind of cunt if he is a winner. Once he is on the slide not so much
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Double world champion in his mid 20s. Undoubtedly a very talented driver who twice moved to a team with a car capable of winning the championship but never managed to get the job done. I cannot believe he feels he has had a great career.
I think I'm going to go post this on a half-dozen auto racing message boards to see the comments it generates.
johnstrac

Post by johnstrac »

Flyin Ryan wrote:
I think I'm going to go post this on a half-dozen auto racing message boards to see the comments it generates.
I think the "double world champion" bit gives it away.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Flyin Ryan wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:Double world champion in his mid 20s. Undoubtedly a very talented driver who twice moved to a team with a car capable of winning the championship but never managed to get the job done. I cannot believe he feels he has had a great career.
Oh sorry I forgot to mention when he finally gave up on winning another F1 world championship after many many years. He went off and did some endurance racing. Following in the footsteps of many past it and failed F1 drivers. Plus he drove in INDYCAR.

Any better ?
nuffsaid

Post by nuffsaid »

Turch17 wrote:https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... Ixdct.html

Mugello and Sochi added to the calendar
Mugello would be Ferrari’s 1000th race. In Italy : Good Thing.

Good track for bikes but can’t recall seeing single seater cars there.
Insane_Homer

Post by Insane_Homer »

Pure class from Hamilton. Pole by 1.2 secs in the wet wet
maverickmak

Post by maverickmak »

Gotta love a wet quali!

Another wet weather masterclass from Hamilton. :thumbup:

Ferrari P10 & P11! :lol:
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Lewis :thumbup:

French boys in the wet ..... :thumbup:
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

Insane_Homer wrote:Pure class from Hamilton. Pole by 1.2 secs in the wet wet
If there was any doubt it, Lewis just showed he is a class apart. What. A. Lap.
nuffsaid

Post by nuffsaid »

Good performances too by the young guns, Lando, Albon and especially George Russell.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

nuffsaid wrote:Good performances too by the young guns, Lando, Albon and especially George Russell.
Four drivers 24 years old or under in the top 7 and Hamilton and Russell were the only two drivers to smoke their teammates
AlanBengio

Post by AlanBengio »

Ferrari probably battling for the podium tomorrow if the race is dry
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

I mean Leclerc has just been given a grid penalty to 14th.... with another penalty possibly to come..

Russell 11th
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

AlanBengio wrote:Ferrari probably battling for the podium tomorrow if the race is dry
You expecting lots of safety cars ?
nardol

Post by nardol »

Anonymous. wrote:
AlanBengio wrote:Ferrari probably battling for the podium tomorrow if the race is dry
You expecting lots of safety cars ?

Devine intervention more like
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Isn’t it time to switch to Alphatauri?
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

Russell was phenomenal today btw. For me with Lewis the best performance of the day. Shout out to Gasly and Ocon... especially Ocon, yikes a very average driver I thought but every time it's wet he's pretty good.
nardol

Post by nardol »

Carlos Sainz did a bit of damage to Lando. Performance of the day.

Albon wont last the year at RB.

Has DR checked out mentally?
nuffsaid

Post by nuffsaid »

nardol wrote:Carlos Sainz did a bit of damage to Lando. Performance of the day.

Albon wont last the year at RB.

Has DR checked out mentally?
Think George Russell was performance of the day in most respects, but Hamilton’s pole lap was something really special. Exceptional in absolute terms, not just today.