16. Nathan Vella
17. Tamaiti Williams
18. Oliver Jager
19. Mitchell Dunshea,
20. Tom Sanders
21. Bryn Hall
22. Dallas McLeod
23. Manasa Mataele.

Last edited by Ali's Choice on Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ali's Choice

Re: TT Super Rugby: Rebels vs Crusaders: Match Thread: Sat 12th June

Post by Ali's Choice »

Obviously it is very likely that this match won't go ahead in Melbourne due to their Covid-19 lockdown and I will update the OP if required. Leichardt Oval will probably get another run, which means it will have hosted more games than many of the regular venues.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Just heard that this match has been relocated to the home of Australian Rugby, Leichardt Oval. I will update the OP accordingly.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:13 am Just heard that this match has been relocated to the home of Australian Rugby, Leichardt Oval. I will update the OP accordingly.
That’s Concord Oval.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

shanky wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:19 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:13 am Just heard that this match has been relocated to the home of Australian Rugby, Leichardt Oval. I will update the OP accordingly.
That’s Concord Oval.
Is that still around? I played there a few times in my youth.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:22 am
shanky wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:19 am
That’s Concord Oval.
Is that still around? I played there a few times in my youth.
Falling down.

They’re going to refurbish it iirc
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

Not to be picky, but "Leichhardt".
shanky

Post by shanky »

And to quote that funny guy from the Footy Show

It’s not an oval, and it’s not in Leichhardt
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

wamberal wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:00 am
Not to be picky, but "Leichhardt".
To be fair, that was was spell check suggested for me. My original attempt at spelling was way worse.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

The good news is that we play after the Highlanders, so will know exactly what is needed to qualify for the final.
trapper

Post by trapper »

Well, I’m disappointed they aren’t playing in Melbourne, I was looking forward to going to see them live. I knew it wasn’t going to happen after the lockdown extension but it still sucks.

I expect the Crusaders to be focused and run away with it as there is no point in holding back in what could be their last game of the year.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

trapper wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:47 am Well, I’m disappointed they aren’t playing in Melbourne, I was looking forward to going to see them live. I knew it wasn’t going to happen after the lockdown extension but it still sucks.

I expect the Crusaders to be focused and run away with it as there is no point in holding back in what could be their last game of the year.
On the upside, I will save about $80 in tickets, alcohol and food pricing by not seeing the Rebels get beaten by 50 points live.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

jdogscoop wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:21 am
trapper wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:47 am Well, I’m disappointed they aren’t playing in Melbourne, I was looking forward to going to see them live. I knew it wasn’t going to happen after the lockdown extension but it still sucks.

On the upside, I will save about $80 in tickets, alcohol and food pricing by not seeing the Rebels get beaten by 50 points live.
:lol:

Gotta say, you’re getting very adept at locating silver linings.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

My brother was hoping to be at the ground to watch his adopted hometown team beat my team.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Crusaders: Will Jordan, Sevu Reece, Braydon Ennor, David Havili, Leicester Fainga’anuku, Richie Mo’unga, Mitchell Drummond, Whetukamokamo Douglas, Sione Havili Talitui, Ethan Blackadder, Samuel Whitelock, Scott Barrett (c), Michael Alaalatoa, Brodie McAlister, George Bower. Reserves: Nathan Vella, Tamaiti Williams, Oliver Jager, Mitchell Dunshea, Tom Sanders, Bryn Hall, Dallas McLeod, Manasa Mataele.

No Taylor (All Blacks rest) or Grace (injured), but otherwise the reinforcements have arrived with Whitelock, Mo'unga, Bower, Blackadder, and Reece all back.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

The Crusaders team has been added to the OP. It's great that we don't have to play the Rebels at Fortress AAMI. The Crusaders team is as strong as it can be with Taylor being rested and Grace injured. We still have the weakest backrow in the entire competition.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Richie Mo’unga is among a host of rested and rejuvenated Crusaders back for their crunch clash against the Rebels in Sydney on Saturday. Mo’unga, Sam Whitelock, Sevu Reece and George Bower will all start after All Blacks rest protocols ruled them out last week.

Fresh from being named “Champion Crusader of the year” at the team’s awards evening, loose forward Ethan Blackadder also returns after missing two games due to concussion. “They're itchy. They're really itchy, they've been great,” head coach Scott Robertson said. The return of the aforementioned players has been partially offset by the unavailability of Codie Taylor (All Blacks rest), and loose forward Cullen Grace.

All Black Grace hasn't recovered from the hip-pointer injury which forced him off at half-time of last week’s 29-21 win over the Force in Christchurch.

The return of Blackadder, who was knocked out late in the team’s demolition job of the Reds is Brisbane on May 22, is timely against a team which likes to get stuck in at the breakdown.

It’s been an area of concern for the Crusaders since Tom Christie was injured early in the campaign, one opposing teams have targeted.

“That’s voted by the players. That’s the one the boys look at,” Robertson said when discussing Blackadder’s award. “His relentless work ethic, what he’s been through the last couple of years, and then to put himself into the All Blacks frame for selection through the performances that have been exceptional.

“He just won't stop. The whistle stops him, that's it. It means a lot to the players, the way they talked about him and announced him. Codie [Taylor] did it because he'd won the award the year before. It just shows how much he means to us, and gave him a lot of praise.”
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

It is a very strong team
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Thats a very strong team and on a dry fast sydney pitch in the afternoon I expect a BP win easily. Lets see what the Highlanders can do first though.

Also further good news this morning that Leicester Fainga’anuku has signed on till end of 2023
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Crusaders by 100
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Has the Rebels team been announced?
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Ali's Choice wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:02 am Has the Rebels team been announced?
Whispered.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Rebels side to play the Crusaders.

In one sentence: An imposing and useful pack, and decidedly makeshift backline. :uhoh:

1. Cameron Orr
2. Jordan Uelese
3, Cabous Eloff
4. Robert Leota
5. Trevor Hosea
6. Michael Wells (c)
7. Richard Hardwick
8. Isi Naisarani
9. Joe Powell
10. Carter Gordon
11. Marika Koroibete
12. Glen Vaihu
13. Andrew Kellaway
14. Frank Lomani
15. George Worth

16. James Hanson
17. Matt Gibbon
18. Rhys Van Nek
19. Steve Cummins
20. Ross Haylett-Petty
21. James Tuttle
22. Young Tonumaipea
22. Illi Vudogo
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Zakar wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:02 am Crusaders by 100
Looking at the Rebels backline, never say never.

Killer Kellaway is a fine young winger. Named at 13.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

jdogscoop wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:57 am Rebels side to play the Crusaders.

In one sentence: An imposing and useful pack, and decidedly makeshift backline. :uhoh:

1. Cameron Orr
2. Jordan Uelese
3, Cabous Eloff
4. Robert Leota
5. Trevor Hosea
6. Michael Wells (c)
7. Richard Hardwick
8. Isi Naisarani
9. Joe Powell
10. Carter Gordon
11. Marika Koroibete
12. Glen Vaihu
13. Andrew Kellaway
14. Frank Lomani
15. George Worth

16. James Hanson
17. Matt Gibbon
18. Rhys Van Nek
19. Steve Cummins
20. Ross Haylett-Petty
21. James Tuttle
22. Young Tonumaipea
23. Illi Vudogo
Whoops, seems I named chewwww, 22s. Nod to Richie. Fixed here.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

That's a decent Rebels team, and certainly not a team to be taken lightly. As a Crusaders fan, I'm wary and respectful of the Rebels pack. Orr, Eloff and Uelese form a fine front row and on paper the Rebels backrow is superior to the Crusaders'. Joe Powell is a high quality 9 who would be in contention for the AB's if he was a Kiwi. And Marika Koroibete would be the first choice All Black 11 if he played on that side of the ditch.
Peteray

Post by Peteray »

I would dispute that is anything other than a journeyman Rebels team, and even more that Korobiete would be an All Black.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Ali's Choice wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:11 am That's a decent Rebels team, and certainly not a team to be taken lightly. As a Crusaders fan, I'm wary and respectful of the Rebels pack. Orr, Eloff and Uelese form a fine front row and on paper the Rebels backrow is superior to the Crusaders'. Joe Powell is a high quality 9 who would be in contention for the AB's if he was a Kiwi. And Marika Koroibete would be the first choice All Black 11 if he played on that side of the ditch.
Be honest, could you actually name the strengths and weaknesses of Orr and Eloff? Let alone recognise them if they walked past you in the street?
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

A strange Rebels backline. A winger at 13 and a halfback on the wing. Ill admit I haven't paid much attention to the Rebels this year, but I've never heard of the 10, 12, or 15.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Ali's Choice wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:11 am That's a decent Rebels team, and certainly not a team to be taken lightly. As a Crusaders fan, I'm wary and respectful of the Rebels pack. Orr, Eloff and Uelese form a fine front row and on paper the Rebels backrow is superior to the Crusaders'. Joe Powell is a high quality 9 who would be in contention for the AB's if he was a Kiwi. And Marika Koroibete would be the first choice All Black 11 if he played on that side of the ditch.
Yeah....

nah.

No offence to the Rebels and their fan, but AC is talking shit as usual before a game. I'm thinking he may have some Saffa genes.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

mrbrownstone wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:34 pm
Be honest, could you actually name the strengths and weaknesses of Orr and Eloff? Let alone recognise them if they walked past you in the street?
Eloff is an oversized Boer who loses plenty of dignity in the skin tight, predominantly white Rebels away jersey. Tbh I have no idea who Orr is.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

mrbrownstone wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:36 pm A strange Rebels backline. A winger at 13 and a halfback on the wing. Ill admit I haven't paid much attention to the Rebels this year, but I've never heard of the 10, 12, or 15.
Carter Gordon is touted by some in the Aussie rugby media as a real up and comer at 10. He played pretty well against the Chiefs, setting up Stacey Ili for an absolute peach of a try, but he's still very much a work in progress.

I haven't heard of the 12 and 15 either :D . Presumably squad members getting a run in the absence of some of the Rebels higher profile players who are out with injury, such as To'omua and Hodge.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

guy smiley wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:18 pm
Yeah....

nah.

No offence to the Rebels and their fan, but AC is talking shit as usual before a game. I'm thinking he may have some Saffa genes.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Ali's Choice wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:27 pm
mrbrownstone wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:34 pm
Eloff is an oversized Boer who loses plenty of dignity in the skin tight, predominantly white Rebels away jersey. Tbh I have no idea who Orr is.
:lol: :lol: :thumbup:
Dumbledore

Post by Dumbledore »

Elhoff is out of position. Orr is Not Good. Powell has been terrible, barely club standard, genuine nothing player. I'd almost prefer watching Phipps.

The only plays worth anything are Koroibete, Uelese, and Hosea. Naisarani was good last week. Rob Leota's in pretty good form, but he's an absolute midget for a lock, completely unreasonable to play him there. I like Kellaway, but that is the most makeshift of makeshift backlines. Gordon has been better than To'omua, but that's the lowest bar anyone could climb this season.

Crusaders by at least 60. Probably more. I could really see an 80-6 sort of scoreline.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Dumbledore wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:21 am

Elhoff is out of position. Orr is Not Good. Powell has been terrible, barely club standard, genuine nothing player. I'd almost prefer watching Phipps.

The only plays worth anything are Koroibete, Uelese, and Hosea. Naisarani was good last week. Rob Leota's in pretty good form, but he's an absolute midget for a lock, completely unreasonable to play him there. I like Kellaway, but that is the most makeshift of makeshift backlines. Gordon has been better than To'omua, but that's the lowest bar anyone could climb this season.

Crusaders by at least 60. Probably more. I could really see an 80-6 sort of scoreline.
Stinging criticism of some players but then Jordan Useless passes with flying colours.

He's another Liam "Shit darts" Coltman. Looks like a fourth loosie around the park but would you pick him to throw a straight lineout or not give away a stupid penalty if your life depended on it?
Peteray

Post by Peteray »

Speaking of which, it's strange that Coltman has NEVER sorted out that part of his game. You would think for the same issue to keep persisting, someone, at some time, would have changed his method/style of darting?
Einstein offered it as a definition of insanity to keep doing the same thing and expect a different result.
Dumbledore

Post by Dumbledore »

jdogscoop wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:42 am

Stinging criticism of some players but then Jordan Useless passes with flying colours.

He's another Liam "Shit darts" Coltman. Looks like a fourth loosie around the park but would you pick him to throw a straight lineout or not give away a stupid penalty if your life depended on it?
Very weird post. He's nothing like Coltman, or any of the Brumbies midget hookers for that matter. I rate him because he single handedly holds the Rebels scrum together. His laundry list of injuries have really done a number on his athleticism, and he probably won't make the Wallabies because he doesn't offer enough around the park.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

The benefit is that now we know what the lads need: a bonus point win with a points differential of at least 33pts.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Dumbledore wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:46 am
jdogscoop wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:42 am

Very weird post. He's nothing like Coltman, or any of the Brumbies midget hookers for that matter. I rate him because he single handedly holds the Rebels scrum together. His laundry list of injuries have really done a number on his athleticism, and he probably won't make the Wallabies because he doesn't offer enough around the park.
I completely disagree with your assessment. Both Uelese and Coltman are good around the park, but struggle with the core skills. Both are big, physical men.