Concussions Thread

All things Rugby
Salanya

Re: Concussions Thread

Post by Salanya »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Salanya wrote:Must have been a knee or something as SOB was on the floor, didn't look like anything hit him particularly in the carry or tackle.

Well done the medics, and although it was very worrying to see him doing a bambi-impression, he walked off the field well enough by himself.
there was a hint of knee to the head I thought
The likeliest candidate was POC's knee, or did you see something else? After all the furore about concussions, this was just a case of bad luck, rather than bad technique or tactics.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Salanya wrote:Must have been a knee or something as SOB was on the floor, didn't look like anything hit him particularly in the carry or tackle.

Well done the medics, and although it was very worrying to see him doing a bambi-impression, he walked off the field well enough by himself.
there was a hint of knee to the head I thought
yep 36 seconds on the youtube, Vunipola accidental knee to the back of his head. He was fine after the Ford hit, kept the legs pumping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bUNNUk5F4c
globus

Post by globus »

What a knockout thread this is.
Magic Johnson

Post by Magic Johnson »

Spoiler: show

Pretty sure it's the knee to the head there, completely accidental and pretty unlucky from SOBs point of view.
Last edited by Magic Johnson on Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
LeinsterLion

Post by LeinsterLion »

Good spot
SFBB

Post by SFBB »

Really didn't look like much at all.

Also, Eanna Falvey is a fantastic doctor. Fantastic choice to elevate him to that level. He is also a family friend. :thumbup:
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... isher.html

Ex Sarries player Matt Hankin sues Saracens, their team doctor and a team mate for career ending concussion suffered on a club tour.
Last edited by Duff Paddy on Mon May 11, 2020 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Duff Paddy wrote:https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... isher.html

Ex Sarries player Matt Hankin sues Saracens, their team doctor and their team physio for career ending concussion suffered on a club tour.
:lol: The most rugby thing i've ever read.

Sounds like he was ok to play and the ko playing done him in, best get in quick while sarries have any money.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

DragsterDriver wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... isher.html

Ex Sarries player Matt Hankin sues Saracens, their team doctor and their team physio for career ending concussion suffered on a club tour.
:lol: The most rugby thing i've ever read.

Sounds like he was ok to play and the ko playing done him in, best get in quick while sarries have any money.
It sounds like he’s suing the team doctor and Richard Barrington individually as well? That’s not cool.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

https://www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2021/01/17/ ... ion-browns

QB Patrick Mahomes badly concussed in a match yesterday - he couldn’t even stand up. The tackle itself didn’t even look that bad but knowing what we know now about the long term damage it’s just difficult to watch.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

https://youtu.be/m72HAX7AtNw

Here’s the video
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

Duff Paddy wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:24 am https://www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2021/01/17/ ... ion-browns

QB Patrick Mahomes badly concussed in a match yesterday - he couldn’t even stand up. The tackle itself didn’t even look that bad but knowing what we know now about the long term damage it’s just difficult to watch.
I saw that last night - I couldn't quite work out how he'd got concussed as (although a big hit) he didn't seem to get impacted near the head at any point. He was definitely out of it though, wobbling all over the place trying to get up.

ETA: the 'tackle' in the second video to deny a touchdown is abominable - that's just asking for someone to get brained.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Duff Paddy wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:24 am https://www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2021/01/17/ ... ion-browns

Glass jaw.
nabanoba

Post by nabanoba »

inactionman wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:08 pm

I saw that last night - I couldn't quite work out how he'd got concussed as (although a big hit) he didn't seem to get impacted near the head at any point. He was definitely out of it though, wobbling all over the place trying to get up.

ETA: the 'tackle' in the second video to deny a touchdown is abominable - that's just asking for someone to get brained.
If the impact is big enough you can be concussed by the whiplash of your brain hitting your skull.

Played my last game of rugby 2 years ago at 32. Got knocked the fudge out 10 minutes into the first game of the season. Came to 25 minutes later. Still notice some of the effects like an adversion to bright lights and can't remember names or words. Gets better over time though.
DOB

Post by DOB »

inactionman wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:08 pm

Only a slomo, so you don't see how quickly his head snaps when tackled, and it's the movement of the brain inside the skull that causes the concussion.

On the 2nd one, I have no fcuking clue how that doesn't get called as helmet-on-helmet. In rugby that would be penalty try and red card. At least the article addresses it;
The widely disliked fumble-touchback rule was not the only controversial part of the play. Chiefs safety Daniel Sorensen led with the crown of his helmet as he hit the diving Higgins. Sorensen should've been penalized for the helmet-to-helmet contact, which would've given the Browns an automatic first down.
The tackle on Mahomes would be penalty only, but still definitely high.
Demilich

Post by Demilich »

The immediate outcome of a concussion can be pretty variable, and not always that easy to pick. Our backline was lining up for a scrum in a game a few years back and our young 2nd/5 suddenly stumbled forward out of the line and fell flat on his face. No one even noticed where he had picked up the head-knock and it must have occurred a few minutes earlier, as he hadn't been involved in any of the recent phases of play. Unfortunately he never played again after that.

I got a concussion in our semi-final a few months backs, where the back of my head hit the ground in a tackle. Didn't get any of the normal symptoms I have had in previous concussions (straight back to my feet, no headache, dizzyness or memory loss), and instead just had a loss of vision, to the point where the last 20 minutes of the game I didn't trust myself to catch a pass and could instead only run from dummy-half. I didn't even click that it was the result of the head-knock and likely a concussion until after the game and it took about 45 minutes for my sight to return fully.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

DOB wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:50 pmOn the 2nd one, I have no fcuking clue how that doesn't get called as helmet-on-helmet. In rugby that would be penalty try and red card. At least the article addresses it;
The widely disliked fumble-touchback rule was not the only controversial part of the play. Chiefs safety Daniel Sorensen led with the crown of his helmet as he hit the diving Higgins. Sorensen should've been penalized for the helmet-to-helmet contact, which would've given the Browns an automatic first down.
The tackle on Mahomes would be penalty only, but still definitely high.
Tbf I thought the same at first but the pylon cam suggests it might not have been helmet to helmet. The top down TV camera angles made it look worse than it was. Sorensen's helmet made contact with the ballcarrier's shoulder, exposing his pad and jarring the ball loose; the force of the hit is was caused the jolt to the Browns player's helmet. Reckless perhaps for his own sake (he copped a shoulder to the dome as it was) but not a penalty IMO. A split second earlier and it would have been.

Not mention there was an official literally a couple feet away.
Last edited by fonzeee on Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:17 am, edited 5 times in total.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Thankfully it seems Mahomes has only taken one concussion before, in college six and a half years ago. He'll be fine.

When I was growing up I would have said football was more dangerous hands down, but honestly as time has gone on and each sport's changed, I hate to say it but I think rugby is now more dangerous.

Despite watching WAY more football than rugby in my life, I've seen far, far more people knocked out in rugby than in football. Not good.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Big law change at underage level in England

https://www.englandrugby.com/news/artic ... rade-rugby
Morgan14

Post by Morgan14 »

Duff Paddy wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:25 am Big law change at underage level in England

So the tackle level is lowered from shoulder to armpit. Not a sea change, imho, but does allow for a little more error by the tackler / circumstances (e.g. the runner lowers themselves) if the tackle does slip up a little high.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Nobody should have been aiming at shoulder anyway.
nabanoba

Post by nabanoba »

I stopped playing rugby nearly 3 years ago after getting seriously ko'ed. Had had a few small concussions before, but this one I was asleep before I hit the ground (apparently) and woke up 25 mins later. It really knocked me for 6, was off work months later with random headaches, can't stand bright lights, sometimes the room spins etc.

It gradually got better, but took a very long time, I've avoided all contact sports since, until I agreed to step in for a game of football last minute on Saturday. Headed a ball from an extremely floaty cross and suddenly all the symptoms are back again.

It's incredibly shit knowing that I have done long-term damage to my brain but not knowing how serious or how it may manifest itself. Also very shit not being able to play sport, but that's life.
Morgan14

Post by Morgan14 »

nabanoba wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:46 pm I stopped playing rugby nearly 3 years ago after getting seriously ko'ed. Had had a few small concussions before, but this one I was asleep before I hit the ground (apparently) and woke up 25 mins later. It really knocked me for 6, was off work months later with random headaches, can't stand bright lights, sometimes the room spins etc.

It gradually got better, but took a very long time, I've avoided all contact sports since, until I agreed to step in for a game of football last minute on Saturday. Headed a ball from an extremely floaty cross and suddenly all the symptoms are back again.

It's incredibly shit knowing that I have done long-term damage to my brain but not knowing how serious or how it may manifest itself. Also very shit not being able to play sport, but that's life.
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you recover well.
msp.

Post by msp. »

Duff Paddy wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:25 am Big law change at underage level in England

It is at age grade and brings in the higher age groups U15 to U18 in line with the lower age contact groups, Under 9 to Under 14.

A good thing for many of the players it will be the laws they were initially coached with, and i cannot imagine many coaches at U15 for the last few year say "well lads the tackle height is now at the shoulder so hit higher".

it is a good thing, improves safety with little impact on the way players play and how it is coached,
not_english

Post by not_english »

As a parent with kids moving into U15s in September, I am very happy with this change
msp.

Post by msp. »

not_english wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:50 pm As a parent with kids moving into U15s in September, I am very happy with this change
My kid is a few years away, but i cannot imagine any parent who does not see this as a good move..
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Dr Tucker's comments on the Championship trial where they stopped it mid-season (if anyone wonders about that or someone uses it to say lower tackles will make things worse).

https://twitter.com/Scienceofsport/stat ... 9238708226
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Saw a kid get knocked unconscious in an U10s match the other week. Was running down the sideline at pace and stepped in field right into my son's team's best defender who was sprinting across in cover. Quite easily the best textbook tackle I've ever seen but the kid was out before he hit the ground. Apparently some nerve shock thing which shuts your body down. Plus whiplash.

He went off the field in an ambulance and the game was called off. Even though there was no sign of concussion, he has been barred from the field for the rest of the year. Not taking any chances.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Nieghorn wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:43 pm Dr Tucker's comments on the Championship trial where they stopped it mid-season (if anyone wonders about that or someone uses it to say lower tackles will make things worse).

https://twitter.com/Scienceofsport/stat ... 9238708226
Good read, thanks.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Thomas wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:05 pm Saw a kid get knocked unconscious in an U10s match the other week. Was running down the sideline at pace and stepped in field right into my son's team's best defender who was sprinting across in cover. Quite easily the best textbook tackle I've ever seen but the kid was out before he hit the ground. Apparently some nerve shock thing which shuts your body down. Plus whiplash.

He went off the field in an ambulance and the game was called off. Even though there was no sign of concussion, he has been barred from the field for the rest of the year. Not taking any chances.
Not nice for the parents watching on the sidelines
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Duff Paddy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:21 pm
Thomas wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:05 pm Saw a kid get knocked unconscious in an U10s match the other week. Was running down the sideline at pace and stepped in field right into my son's team's best defender who was sprinting across in cover. Quite easily the best textbook tackle I've ever seen but the kid was out before he hit the ground. Apparently some nerve shock thing which shuts your body down. Plus whiplash.

Not nice for the parents watching on the sidelines
Happened right in front of the stands too. One of the mums is a doctor so she jumped the fence and helped out. Kid was fine but spent the day in hospital getting tested.

The kid who tackled him was distraught and we all sat him down and told him he'd done nothing wrong. One of those kids you see play and wonder what Super Rugby team he'll play for when he's older.