Cameron carries on squirming out of TV debates

All things Rugby
HKCJ

Re: Cameron carries on squirming out of TV debates

Post by HKCJ »

dr dre2 wrote:
karahi wrote:I'm afraid that if, as predicted, the SNP wins an overwhelming majority of Scottish seats in the GE, it will become very difficult to deny the SNP a new referendum in the next parliament, whatever was said the last time around. Which I suspect the SNP will win.

The level of grievance that a lot of Scots seem to be nursing appears to be such that almost anything Westminster does now will play into the SNP's hands. I think it's time for Unionists to accept, with regret, that the union of Scotland with England and Wales is over.
I now see it as inevitable also. I hoped that the Scottish would not leave, but the margin was too fine for me. There are too many Scots who were willing to throw away the Union, it has had the effect on me (and i'm sure many others in the rest of the UK) that I'd now quite like them to go, especially as it now seems that the SNP are now going to attempt to play (all so obvious) Machiavellian bollox in order to piss the rest of us off enough to resent the Scots so the relationship becomes untenable. I'd like to avoid that and they just f**k off. The Unionists in Scotland may want to remember that, you may feel the SNP are going to give you a strong voice in the UK and you may not see it as a mandate to push for independence. The rest of the UK will see it as an insult and will get very tired of the games. The English are already starting to feel, you're twisting the situation too far to your advantage and the Welsh feel your selfishly twisting it to their detriment with regard to Barnet. The SNP have sensed that and are going to push and push until the rest of the UK turns on Scotland (with regard to popular opinion). If you're pro union but thinking of voting SNP for protest reasons, or "strong voice" reasons I would not vote SNP, you may get asked to leave union in the end.

The margin wasn't that fine.. it was 55 v 45.. That's pretty significant. In the Quebec referendum it was much closer and the referendum issue has pretty much disappeared now there. Certainly that's the outcome I'm hoping for.
topofthemoon

Post by topofthemoon »

Openside wrote:
bimboman wrote:
theo wrote:Someone should kill this off quickly. TV debates are an abomination.

You've got to remember people like jowar don't read a manifesto or look at the basic mathematical claims of the policies. The tv debate just breaks up their usual tv watching activities and deliver it all in one easy to digest 5 minutes.

Jorwar has to be spoofing, no one is really that stupid and boring are they? :?
Oh the ironing... :P
Openside

Post by Openside »

topofthemoon wrote:
Openside wrote:
bimboman wrote:
theo wrote:Someone should kill this off quickly. TV debates are an abomination.

You've got to remember people like jowar don't read a manifesto or look at the basic mathematical claims of the policies. The tv debate just breaks up their usual tv watching activities and deliver it all in one easy to digest 5 minutes.

Jorwar has to be spoofing, no one is really that stupid and boring are they? :?
Oh the ironing... :P
Well done you, I see what you did there :roll:
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

All 6 questions today from red Ed today at PMQs were about the debates..... The man is an idiot.
Beader

Post by Beader »

bimboman wrote:All 6 questions today from red Ed today at PMQs were about the debates..... The man is an idiot.

Dis he spend the whole time just repeating the exact same question? It appears to be his 'thing'.
jorwar

Post by jorwar »

Beader wrote:
bimboman wrote:All 6 questions today from red Ed today at PMQs were about the debates..... The man is an idiot.

Dis he spend the whole time just repeating the exact same question? It appears to be his 'thing'.
He had to, cos Chicken Dave is so bird-brained.
Cluck, cluck,cluck,cluck...etc
:lol:
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Actually a good move from Milliband (from his point of view), It made Cameron look weak, and he lost his temper, so nor sure how you can discribe this as a bad move on his account.

Did my ears decieve me or did Cameron offer to debate with Salmond?

Interesting move on his account, I suspect he will try to squirm out of that as well.

It will not play well with the public , which is whay Milliband is looking for
dr dre2

Post by dr dre2 »

HKCJ wrote:
dr dre2 wrote:
karahi wrote:I'm afraid that if, as predicted, the SNP wins an overwhelming majority of Scottish seats in the GE, it will become very difficult to deny the SNP a new referendum in the next parliament, whatever was said the last time around. Which I suspect the SNP will win.

The level of grievance that a lot of Scots seem to be nursing appears to be such that almost anything Westminster does now will play into the SNP's hands. I think it's time for Unionists to accept, with regret, that the union of Scotland with England and Wales is over.
I now see it as inevitable also. I hoped that the Scottish would not leave, but the margin was too fine for me. There are too many Scots who were willing to throw away the Union, it has had the effect on me (and i'm sure many others in the rest of the UK) that I'd now quite like them to go, especially as it now seems that the SNP are now going to attempt to play (all so obvious) Machiavellian bollox in order to piss the rest of us off enough to resent the Scots so the relationship becomes untenable. I'd like to avoid that and they just f**k off. The Unionists in Scotland may want to remember that, you may feel the SNP are going to give you a strong voice in the UK and you may not see it as a mandate to push for independence. The rest of the UK will see it as an insult and will get very tired of the games. The English are already starting to feel, you're twisting the situation too far to your advantage and the Welsh feel your selfishly twisting it to their detriment with regard to Barnet. The SNP have sensed that and are going to push and push until the rest of the UK turns on Scotland (with regard to popular opinion). If you're pro union but thinking of voting SNP for protest reasons, or "strong voice" reasons I would not vote SNP, you may get asked to leave union in the end.

The margin wasn't that fine.. it was 55 v 45.. That's pretty significant. In the Quebec referendum it was much closer and the referendum issue has pretty much disappeared now there. Certainly that's the outcome I'm hoping for.
It's high enough to damage the "bond", but as you say we'd just carry on as normal if we were not about to get treated to the Salmond show on a UK wide scale. If Scotland sends the SNP on mass to Westminster it's going to be 5 years of endless awkwardness ending in resentment. The rest of the UK will see it as sanctioned by the Scottish people. Every little contentious difference is going to poured over and the English will start to respond by throwing mud back, by the end of it, it's going to get messy.
Last edited by dr dre2 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

dr dre2 wrote:
HKCJ wrote:
dr dre2 wrote:

It's high enough to damage the "bond", but as you say we'd just carry on as normal if we were not about to get treated to the Salmond show on a UK wide scale. If Scotland sends the SNP on mass to Westminster it's going to be 5 years of endless awkwardness ending in resentment.
I had a relationship exactly like that
theo

Post by theo »

dr dre2 wrote:
HKCJ wrote:
dr dre2 wrote:

It's high enough to damage the "bond", but as you say we'd just carry on as normal if we were not about to get treated to the Salmond show on a UK wide scale. If Scotland sends the SNP on mass to Westminster it's going to be 5 years of endless awkwardness ending in resentment. The rest of the UK will see it as sanctioned by the Scottish people. Every little contentious difference is going to poured over and the English will start to respond by throwing mud back, by the end of it, it's going to get messy.
Which is why Cameron is drawing people's attention to it.

Though perhaps he went a bit far when he said you could have a coalition of one party that bankcrupt Britain and another that wants to break-up Britain. Expect that to get trotted out quite a bit over the next few weeks.
dr dre2

Post by dr dre2 »

happyhooker wrote:
dr dre2 wrote:
HKCJ wrote:
dr dre2 wrote:

It's high enough to damage the "bond", but as you say we'd just carry on as normal if we were not about to get treated to the Salmond show on a UK wide scale. If Scotland sends the SNP on mass to Westminster it's going to be 5 years of endless awkwardness ending in resentment.
I had a relationship exactly like that
That's kind of how it played out for me watching from the outside. It was like watching your wife visit each of your friends and family to debate the pros and cons of ending your relationship, swinging between for and against and declaring itself a strong independent woman that doesn't need a man, and enjoying the whole process and power it gave her, before finally deciding and declaring that " i've narrowly decided, i'm going to stay". While this circus is going on you may dread the loss and hope for her to stay. But once the dust has settled you may feel, well that was a little demeaning and kick her out, or at least feel the relationship has changed. If she now continues to remind you how close she was to leaving and become more demanding..... Kicking her out may look more attractive again.
Openside

Post by Openside »

Where is this notion that the Scots want or deserve another referendum coming from??

They had a free run at it last year they voted no thanks. Those who thought a bit of financial hardship was a price worth paying for sovereignty may well reconsider now oil prices have halved!!
dr dre2

Post by dr dre2 »

Openside wrote:Where is this notion that the Scots want or deserve another referendum coming from??

They had a free run at it last year they voted no thanks. Those who thought a bit of financial hardship was a price worth paying for sovereignty may well reconsider now oil prices have halved!!
It's coming from the groundswell of support for the SNP and the likelihood that Scotland is going to inflict them on the rest of us. Just as the rest of us are mulling over the fact that Scotland nearly left and aired the "families" dirty laundry in public. Scotland seemed have great fun in doing so but forgot the rest of us were invested and may even feel a little offended by it. To follow that up by sending the whole circus down to UK level, when we are all feeling a little sick of it, is at least a message that the whole matter is not put to bed. And a great move if you want to play on the sickness we're feeling of it all and provoke a reaction that ends in independence, as no doubt the SNP will play the situation.
Last edited by dr dre2 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
colonel

Re: Cameron carries on squirming out of TV debatesh

Post by colonel »

theo wrote:bankrupt

Careful with the hyperbole there theo, youre not bill
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

colonel wrote:

Let's not be too hasty...
theo

Post by theo »

colonel wrote:

I was quoting Cameron.

JM - fark orf.
colonel

Post by colonel »

theo wrote:
colonel wrote:

I was quoting Cameron.

JM - fark orf.

So you were, apologies
jorwar

Post by jorwar »

The snp look on chicken Dave with nothing but contempt.
Remember the way he scuttled along giving his 'vow' of undying union, in typical craven Cameron style, after that pre-referendum rogue poll. x(
Lest we forget!
Beader

Post by Beader »

If Bill and Jowar came into contact with other then the universe would end.
colonel

Post by colonel »

jorwar wrote:The snp look on chicken Dave with nothing but contempt.
Remember the way he scuttled along giving his 'vow' of undying union, in typical craven Cameron style, after that pre-referendum rogue poll. x(
Lest we forget!

In the charlatans defence, isn't that just politics? And not just Cameron's 'I want to be a character in the west wing' post blairite politics-lite
Openside

Post by Openside »

Lest we forget!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

colonel wrote:

We are of course one of the most indebted nations, a trillion plus and rising.
Beader

Post by Beader »

bimboman wrote:
colonel wrote:

Forget the deficit for a moment, how much is the debt interest on £1.2t per year?
ehr

Post by ehr »

Beader wrote:
bimboman wrote:
colonel wrote:

Forget the deficit for a moment, how much is the debt interest on £1.2t per year?
Didn't the Tories say they would reduce this at the last election?
Any clarify if they have failed
karahi

Post by karahi »

Lest we forget!
The village idiot turns up again. :roll:

Why would Dave care if the SNP look on him with contempt? It's not as if their constituencies are likely to overlap in any significant way. A lot of people look on the Nats with contempt. Being looked on with contempt by the SNP is probably an electoral asset in most of the UK.
karahi

Post by karahi »

ehr wrote:
Beader wrote:
bimboman wrote:
colonel wrote:

Maths not your strong point, then?
Beader

Post by Beader »

ehr wrote:
Beader wrote:
bimboman wrote:
colonel wrote:

:uhoh:
ehr

Post by ehr »

Sorry but I just asked a question, on my phone so the auto fill makes things difficult.
Have the Tories done what they said they would do in respect to the debt? I though they pledged to reduce the deficit reduction. How do you feel they have done, with respect to your day to day finances and your living standard? That really is the issue tbh.
Beader

Post by Beader »

ehr wrote:
Sorry but I just asked a question, on my phone so the auto fill makes things difficult.
Have the Tories done what they said they would do in respect to the debt? I though they pledged to reduce the deficit reduction. How do you feel they have done, with respect to your day to day finances and your living standard? That really is the issue tbh.

They have reduced it by about £70b a year over 5 years. About £200b in total I believe.
ehr

Post by ehr »

Beader wrote:
ehr wrote:

They have reduced it by about £70b a year over 5 years. About £200b in total I believe.
Thanks, remind me what they pledged to do at the last general election. How have they done against their own metrics that they asked to be judged against? I have no idea really tbh
Beader

Post by Beader »

ehr wrote:
Beader wrote:
ehr wrote:

Thanks, remind me what they pledged to do at the last general election. How have they done against their own metrics that they asked to be judged against? I have no idea really tbh

They have done exceptionally well over the last 5 years. I hope the Tories get another 5 years with an outright majority to get the economy fully back on track.
Openside

Post by Openside »

ehr wrote:
It should be pointed out the Tories said they would do it if elected, they weren't they had to attempt the equivalent of pulling whilst having your autistic brother tag along.
merry!

Post by merry! »

ehr wrote:
Beader wrote:
ehr wrote:

dunno about the detail, but government policy isn't purely up to the tories as it has to be agreed with their coalition partners.

the libdems have reined in tory instinct (thereby helping prevent genuine 'austerity' in the uk).
Lorthern Nights

Post by Lorthern Nights »

ehr wrote:
Beader wrote:
ehr wrote:

Yup
ehr

Post by ehr »

Openside wrote:
ehr wrote:
It should be pointed out the Tories said they would do it if elected, they weren't they had to attempt the equivalent of pulling whilst having your autistic brother tag along.
Really?
Openside

Post by Openside »

ehr wrote:
Openside wrote:
ehr wrote:
Really?

Yup for the hard of understanding the Lib deems are the autistic brother in this scenario...
colonel

Post by colonel »

Openside wrote:
ehr wrote:
Openside wrote:
ehr wrote:
Really?

Yup for the hard of understanding the Lib deems are the autistic brother in this scenario...
*sigh*
karahi

Post by karahi »

ehr wrote:
Doesn't know the difference between deficit and debt? Check.

Doesn't know that the debt will continue to grow for so long as the deficit exists, even if it's reducing? Check.

Yeah, maths is not your friend. The Tories pledged to reduce the deficit, not the overall debt. If they can eliminate the deficit, they can start making inroads into the debt. The purpose of this plan was to avoid Greece-style austerity, and it's worked.

Needless to say, idiots like you and jorwar have been simultaneously lambasting the Tories for their 'savage' cuts whilst simultaneously complaining that the debt is still growing. :roll:
jorwar

Post by jorwar »

Beader wrote:
ehr wrote:

The deficit is still huge. It's currently around about £80bn. Cameron said he'd get it down to zero.
The govt has missed that target by a light year and there's been a massive deficit in each year of his 5 years.
Because of this, the debt has risen inexorably to about £1300bn! A huge increase compared with 5 years ago.
This has been their wizzo long term economic plan. :lol:
ehr

Post by ehr »

karahi wrote:
ehr wrote:
Doesn't know the difference between deficit and debt? Check.

Doesn't know that the debt will continue to grow for so long as the deficit exists, even if it's reducing? Check.

Yeah, maths is not your friend. The Tories pledged to reduce the deficit, not the overall debt. If they can eliminate the deficit, they can start making inroads into the debt. The purpose of this plan was to avoid Greece-style austerity, and it's worked.

Needless to say, idiots like you and jorwar have been simultaneously lambasting the Tories for their 'savage' cuts whilst simultaneously complaining that the debt is still growing. :roll:
I
Last edited by ehr on Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.