The OFFICIAL PR watch thread TM PTY LTD

All things Rugby
Edinburgh01

Re: Who knows stuff about watches?

Post by Edinburgh01 »

BlackMac wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:Anyone know anything about Bremont? Now featuring in the potential 21st birthday present list.
Great shout Weegie. They would probably beat an IWC for me purely for the uniqueness. They have a fabulous reputation and are meant to be bullet proof. There is a great story behind the brand.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f1/bremont ... 96086.html
Thanks. I was aware of them but older son spotted them and liked them a lot.
Madness

Post by Madness »

Edinburgh01 wrote:
BlackMac wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:Anyone know anything about Bremont? Now featuring in the potential 21st birthday present list.
Great shout Weegie. They would probably beat an IWC for me purely for the uniqueness. They have a fabulous reputation and are meant to be bullet proof. There is a great story behind the brand.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f1/bremont ... 96086.html
Thanks. I was aware of them but older son spotted them and liked them a lot.
I've got 2 (need to take better photos), massively recommended

This one

and this one

Chemi

Post by Chemi »

My normal day to day watches

Would like an Omega Deville, something vintage for the next one
Wyndham Upalot

Post by Wyndham Upalot »

Does anyone have any experience of using http://www.watchfinder.co.uk ? They seem quite reasonable on initial viewings, and their prices appear equally quite good.
Chemi

Post by Chemi »

Oh and the kids liked this £5 binary like LED

But I would quite like a jump hour watch

Wyndham Upalot

Post by Wyndham Upalot »

For your kids Chemi, Aliexpress is their and your friend ;)
Chemi

Post by Chemi »

They actually bought me the blue LED from Amazon. It's fun until they press the button for the millionth time. But it's what I did to my uncle in the 70s when he had one of the early red digital watches that had very little battery life. I do also have a cheap modern version of the jump hour but it's not quite the same
Wyndham Upalot

Post by Wyndham Upalot »

As a teenager, I vaguely remember having a Knightrider digital watch - it was probably the biggest excess my parents' ever explicitly displayed financially on my part. Loved it at the time, crud on reflection :)
Chemi

Post by Chemi »

Had Sensible Timex until a neon skeleton Swatch watch in the 80s. The Seiko above was the first watch I bought myself specifically as it was automatic (my dad had a 1950s Russian Poljot which was automatic that you could hear the mechanism from 20 feet away). The Omega was a wedding present and now, anything a bit different for not much, hence the Nixon and the jump watches. The wife quite likes Chopard with floating diamonds, but I'll be looking vintage next (and keep an eye out for some more silliness too)
Darth_Quinlan

Post by Darth_Quinlan »

globus wrote:I've got a Breitling. Never wear it as it looks like Big Ben on my wrist.

It also has orange bits. It's one of those pilot jobs that warn everyone where you are if you ditch in the sea.

I have no intention of doing so.
I know the one you mean - stunning piece :thumbup:
aitch@wasps

Post by aitch@wasps »

Openside wrote:
fraz wrote:My fiancée told me today that she wants to buy me a watch as a wedding present so we went out and looked at a few. I havent worn one regularly since I got my first mobile phone about 16 years ago but have often thought about it. I would like something that will look nice if worn with formal duds but nothing too flashy for every day use. I think I'd like a metal band.

We looked at some Tissot watches that seemed quite nice. I don't really want her to spend any more than say $800 (it's my money too) and most of the more expensive ones we saw looked like they belonged to persian carpet salesmen anyway.

I just don't like going into purchases blind so thought I'd enlist the bored's brain trust.

Any important questions to ask before buying a watch? Brands to steer clear of? Things to look out for etc.?

My wife bought me a TAG I am very happy with it and wear it in preference to an Omega Seamaster.
Ha! Doog has a TAG. I wanted to get him a dress watch for Christmas, something a tad more elegant, he opted for a very classic 1963 Seamaster...(If it's good enough for 007, etc). The TAG has copped the hump and started playing up...

During the search for his watch, I spotted a very unusual 1940's Reyco (now Avia) that has an oblong, emerald green face, it's now mine & it's beautiful.
Last edited by aitch@wasps on Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aitch@wasps

Post by aitch@wasps »

ZappaMan wrote:
Openside wrote: most of the time I can estimate the time to within ten minutes.
Who are you, Susie Sundial?
:lol: Well, he's no Jack Reacher!
Edinburgh01

Post by Edinburgh01 »

Slightly odd question, but where is the cheapest place in the world (within reason) to buy a well known brand watch? As mentioned, I am getting my sons good watches for their 21st, and have friends and relatives who globe trot frequently, though mainly US, Middle and Far East. Is there anywhere where prices are significantly lower than the UK so I can ask one to pick me a watch up?
fisgard792

Post by fisgard792 »

Edinburgh01 wrote:Slightly odd question, but where is the cheapest place in the world (within reason) to buy a well known brand watch? As mentioned, I am getting my sons good watches for their 21st, and have friends and relatives who globe trot frequently, though mainly US, Middle and Far East. Is there anywhere where prices are significantly lower than the UK so I can ask one to pick me a watch up?
good question.

i was working in delaware 2 years ago, when it touched over $1.70 to the pound, only took advantage for the electronics, missed out on a watch
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

An old boss of mine was into serious pieces (new) and seemed to invariably buy duty free when passing through Geneva en route to wherever he was off to next. Lord knows if this is because it was bargaintown or because it hapened to be convenient for him tbh. He didn't do much longhaul intercontinental travel, but was hugely regular between UK, mainland Europe/EU and Russia.
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

redderneck wrote:An old boss of mine was into serious pieces (new) and seemed to invariably buy duty free when passing through Geneva en route to wherever he was off to next. Lord knows if this is because it was bargaintown or because it hapened to be convenient for him tbh. He didn't do much longhaul intercontinental travel, but was hugely regular between UK, mainland Europe/EU and Russia.
Buying Geneva watches in Geneva is now hugely expensive given the exchange rate. Most recent one I bought was in New York for 30% less than the Geneva price.
Azlan Roar

Post by Azlan Roar »

Edinburgh01 wrote:Slightly odd question, but where is the cheapest place in the world (within reason) to buy a well known brand watch? As mentioned, I am getting my sons good watches for their 21st, and have friends and relatives who globe trot frequently, though mainly US, Middle and Far East. Is there anywhere where prices are significantly lower than the UK so I can ask one to pick me a watch up?
Hong Kong has always been a good place to buy a Rolex from an authorised dealer because there are so many there competing for business and good discounts can be haggled for.

Tsim Sha Tsui in HK has over a dozen dealer in that one area - http://www.rolex.com/rolex-dealers/deal ... simshatsui

The other obvious locations are the Middle East airports - Duba and Doha and the others have Rolex "duty free" shops.

The one thing to have in mind is the risk of being pulled up hit for VAT and Duty when your friends and relatives return to the UK. Not a very pleasant and potentially expensive experience.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Azlan Roar wrote:
Hong Kong has always been a good place to buy a Rolex from an authorised dealer because there are so many there competing for business and good discounts can be haggled for.

Tsim Sha Tsui in HK has over a dozen dealer in that one area - http://www.rolex.com/rolex-dealers/deal ... simshatsui

The other obvious locations are the Middle East airports - Duba and Doha and the others have Rolex "duty free" shops.

The one thing to have in mind is the risk of being pulled up hit for VAT and Duty when your friends and relatives return to the UK. Not a very pleasant and potentially expensive experience.

Pay for it in cash. Regarding other purchases NY or VEgas can be excellent places to buy when the exchange rate is a bit better than it currently is.
fisgard792

Post by fisgard792 »

Azlan Roar wrote:

that brings back some memories, to and from the kowloon sheraton, you'd get accosted every 5 minutes by the rolex street sellers, i know i'm wrong, but i found it difficult not to trust or have faith in the shops
TB63

Post by TB63 »

Have one of these, happy with it so far..
kornboy130

Post by kornboy130 »

I have a Breitling Chronomat 44 which was my 18th, 21st, Undergrad and Masters Graduation present thrown in to one (my family doesn't make many purchases like this). My Mum told me about how in the shop buying it for me she asked the guy whether it was waterproof/"would be alright in the shower" - to which the guy gave her a puzzled look as if she might be joking before politely stating as long as i didn't take it deep sea diving it would be fine. Bless her.

I love it:

globus

Post by globus »

I'm looking at Apple watches at the moment.

Both of my pals have them and they love them.

Any opinions?
Deadtigers

Post by Deadtigers »

I love this thread. I love watches. It is essentially the closest thing to jewelry a man is allowed to wear.

I had a fossil watch with changeable straps for a while then my FiL gave me a Citizen as he works as a jeweler. I like the watch but I hate the plastic straps. I mean f**king plastic straps!!
kornboy130

Post by kornboy130 »

fisgard792 wrote:
Azlan Roar wrote:

that brings back some memories, to and from the kowloon sheraton, you'd get accosted every 5 minutes by the rolex street sellers, i know i'm wrong, but i found it difficult not to trust or have faith in the shops
Mine is from Turkey from a registered dealer there - if they're listed with the manufacturer as a registered dealer you're safe (mine has been off for service with Breitling so I'm provided even more comfort there). Saved a fair amount on the UK high street price - still bloody expensive though.
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

I've just got my father's Tudor watch back from the watchmaker after years of planning to get it back in working order. It a yellowpack version of a Rolex, made by a subsidiary company using Rolex parts. Its a lovely neat gold watch, smaller than most modern watches, that he bought in 1952, and is inscribed with his name on the back. Its not particularly valuable, but I love it, and my only problem now is holding onto it as my 24 year old daughter has her eye on it. :frown:
TB63

Post by TB63 »

Trying to source one of these currently..

I like simple looking watches, matches my IQ..
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

globus wrote:I'm looking at Apple watches at the moment.

Any opinions?

You only have two friends ? :shock:
globus

Post by globus »

bimboman wrote:
globus wrote:I'm looking at Apple watches at the moment.

Any opinions?

You only have two friends ? :shock:
I have plenty of enemies though.
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

Can anyone tell me what the tax situation is when buying a watch in the US. I'm looking at an Oris or Alpina which I can get across there for about £800 compared to £1200 here. Is there a similar scheme to the UK where you can claim back the duty and will i get hit for import fees if I get nabbed by customs on the way back.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

BlackMac wrote:Can anyone tell me what the tax situation is when buying a watch in the US. I'm looking at an Oris or Alpina which I can get across there for about £800 compared to £1200 here. Is there a similar scheme to the UK where you can claim back the duty and will i get hit for import fees if I get nabbed by customs on the way back.

US to UK I don't believe theirs a reclaim.

Purchasing in cash might be a good idea.
frillage

Post by frillage »

BlackMac wrote:Can anyone tell me what the tax situation is when buying a watch in the US. I'm looking at an Oris or Alpina which I can get across there for about £800 compared to £1200 here. Is there a similar scheme to the UK where you can claim back the duty and will i get hit for import fees if I get nabbed by customs on the way back.
Thought warrant card would breeze you past customs?
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

frillage wrote:
Thought warrant card would breeze you past customs?
I never carry it off duty. Can cause more trouble than it is worth.
Saint

Post by Saint »

Sales tax in the US isn't federal, so there isn't a federal reclaim process. Whether you can reclaim the tax or not will vary state by state.

You can import goods to the value of £390 duty free. You pay 2.5% on goods up to £630. Above that value the amount you pay depends on the various goods types. You then pay import VAT on the lot.

Or, I know a friend has occasionally purchased high value items such as a watch and worn it on his wrist through the nothing to declare channel
Audi

Post by Audi »

I have a sports watch for when I sweat, and the rest of the time I use my phone or public clocks so don't need one, but was thinking it would be nice to have one to wear with a suit at an upcoming South American wedding (dress code is "smart summer") that would also look not flashy with a polo shirt in a beer garden. About the same budget, EUR 1000. Now thinking, for the same budget, of getting a light suit (I only wear dark grey and dark blue for work so like the idea of a change) and matching tie, sunglasses and swatch.
Johnny Marrmight

Post by Johnny Marrmight »

I've got a nice watch or three in the pipeline
Dunnikin Diver

Post by Dunnikin Diver »

Got my Damasko today. Definitely think they are a maker to keep an eye on. Will check it properly over the weekend, but just chucking it on the wrist today suggests they've got the ETA into a sweet spot.
Dunnikin Diver

Post by Dunnikin Diver »

Audi wrote:I have a sports watch for when I sweat, and the rest of the time I use my phone or public clocks so don't need one, but was thinking it would be nice to have one to wear with a suit at an upcoming South American wedding (dress code is "smart summer") that would also look not flashy with a polo shirt in a beer garden. About the same budget, EUR 1000. Now thinking, for the same budget, of getting a light suit (I only wear dark grey and dark blue for work so like the idea of a change) and matching tie, sunglasses and swatch.
How do you time course correction for re-entry, or track air time when diving at 500m below without a watch?

I have no idea what sort of backstreet cuts a suit for that money, but a yellow windowpane on pale blue background would probably work. French cuffs on the shirts of course.
globus

Post by globus »

Since my ribbing about a Tudor Rolex that my uncle bought me from Windsor Bishop in Norwich and an auntie's legacy. I might go for this one.

The Management has the full nine yards.

So. Line 'em up.

I've a Baume & Mercier. Look that up.

They are lovely.
Dunnikin Diver

Post by Dunnikin Diver »

globus wrote:Since my ribbing about a Tudor Rolex that my uncle bought me from Windsor Bishop in Norwich and an auntie's legacy. I might go for this one.

The Management has the full nine yards.

So. Line 'em up.

I've a Baume & Mercier. Look that up.

They are lovely.
Tudors were rightly regarded as second-rate, because that is exactly what they were (relatively speaking), but as so many got binned there is something of a demand based on being very slightly rare and having a Rolex link.

What era Baume et Mercier?
Audi

Post by Audi »

Dunnikin Diver wrote:I have no idea what sort of backstreet cuts a suit for that money, but a yellow windowpane on pale blue background would probably work. French cuffs on the shirts of course.
Yes I have nice shoes, shirts, belts, cufflinks etc from normal work stuff. I've seen an ok suit in a high street which I can change the buttons on and make it respectable enough to get out at formal summer evenings. If I decide I like the look I can spend a bit more down the line on better cloth and cut. It will leave me enough for a tie in a colour I don't have and a watch and glasses to wear down the line at a beach party.

I just think I won't get any value out of a watch I won't wear, but I did start off thinking along the lines as the OP, creating an justifiable budget to spend on a smart watch.