Chat Forum
It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 10:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 540 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:34 am 

Uncle Fester wrote:
Mare's tail back for its annual ravage of our garden.
Any suggestions?

a goat ?

:lol: :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:33 am 

Uncle Fester wrote:
Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:27 pm 

Uncle Fester wrote:
Any suggestions?

Don't listen to any of the non weed killer methods, they are bollocks. Weed killer and more weed killer but wait till it is about a foot high.

There are a number of products that people claim area more effective. I think the RHS recommend one.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:59 pm 

We have built a vegetable patch during lockdown!! It is the first time i have done anything in my garden In 23 years :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:54 pm 

Thankfully the potatoes are first early.

Before

After

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:34 pm 

Delighted to see this thread!

Over the Irish lockdown I decided to grow a few things on our balcony, gets decent sun. Have some peppers and tomatoes out there now. One question, what size pots should I use for these plants when it comes to repotting? They have been repotted once from germinating trays to some medium (2L I think) pots, and some are in jars until I can get more pots (local hardware store is out).

Also, why would my tomato plants be going a bit yellow?

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:21 pm 

Depends what tomatoes you have. If they're tall growing, then 10l min. Small bush toms you might get away with 5l at a pinch. That said my small bush toms are way too tall this year. I grew some small bush toms in hanging basket last year and they did great and can't have been more than 5l.

I've got a bunch of these 30cm one's https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001CJ5P0S/ ... UTF8&psc=1 They work great and they're about 10l. That said most people say use as large as you can but that takes room and costs more money so just make sure you feed it and give it regular water or stand it in a tray with water as there's less soil to absorb water in smaller pots.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:01 am 

Bullettyme wrote:
Delighted to see this thread!

Over the Irish lockdown I decided to grow a few things on our balcony, gets decent sun. Have some peppers and tomatoes out there now. One question, what size pots should I use for these plants when it comes to repotting? They have been repotted once from germinating trays to some medium (2L I think) pots, and some are in jars until I can get more pots (local hardware store is out).

Also, why would my tomato plants be going a bit yellow?

Barely go bigger in re-potting, rule of thumb is no more than 20%.
If you stick em in a grow bag with support you can go a lot more, would be messy on a balcony.
We used to grow so many peppers I put them in plastic milk cartons till I found a home for them.
Edit to say I have never not had some yellowing, the causes are endless from under to over watering lack of nitrogen etc.
It really is a great help if you can leave them standing in water.

Last edited by lorcanoworms on Sun May 24, 2020 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:05 am 

A question, my coriander bolted and is now flowering it up. Will these flowers go all seedy and if they do, is it worth trying to plant those seeds?

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:13 am 

Coriander bolts at a second's notice. Seeds will probably work unless it's an F1 hybrid, (which is the seedcos genius method of selling plants that you can't propagate and force you to buy more). You can sew another load of the feckers and harvest them as microleaves tho.

Bullet - tomatos are fussy as feck. Need huge amounts of nutrients in the soil and needs the right watering, too dry and they complain, too wet and they also can yellow. A mild nitrogen/high potassium feed might be a good shout.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:15 am 

alliswell wrote:
A question, my coriander bolted and is now flowering it up. Will these flowers go all seedy and if they do, is it worth trying to plant those seeds?

Give it a go, not quite the same but I keep the seeds of marigold, foxglove, callendula etc and grow them on indoors.
Just as well as have not been able to get any bedding plants.
@ Bullet didn't read it properly but 2lL is a good start I reckon you could go to 5L alright.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 12:09 pm 

Boobs, I have the same shed / garage as you :o
Think the make is Compton’s.

I have it situated at foot of garden, and have run blackberries up the sides of it to cover the pebbledash plus they would grow in indirect sun and in my shitty clay soil .

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 12:46 pm 

backrow wrote:

I have it situated at foot of garden, and have run blackberries up the sides of it to cover the pebbledash plus they would grow in indirect sun and in my shitty clay soil .

That's next doors, it's my Dads garden. He had one but knocked it down a few weeks ago and has built the walls of an L shaped workshop for his motorbikes and a mini he's had sitting in the back for 25 years ish and still swears he's going to repair.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 2:22 pm 

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 5:09 pm 

I have spent the morning tidying up the Falklands plot at the military Cemetery for a bit Class of 82 funeral on 8th June and then spent the afternoon cutting down a large yew tree in the back garden (without injuring myself this time!!)

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 9:42 pm 

Boobs not Moobs wrote:
backrow wrote:

That's next doors, it's my Dads garden. He had one but knocked it down a few weeks ago and has built the walls of an L shaped workshop for his motorbikes and a mini he's had sitting in the back for 25 years ish and still swears he's going to repair.

Soz - didn’t see a garden fence so thought it was yours .
Tell your dad if he has a car that nobody sees but only hears about, it has to be a rare expensive Porsche ! (Preferably someplace random in Northamptonshire)

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 1:43 pm 

BlackMac wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:
Any suggestions?

Don't listen to any of the non weed killer methods, they are bollocks. Weed killer and more weed killer but wait till it is about a foot high.

There are a number of products that people claim area more effective. I think the RHS recommend one.

Concentrated round up do the trick? Bruising the fronds as well I assume?

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:27 pm 

Uncle Fester wrote:
BlackMac wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:
Any suggestions?

Roundup is probably not the best. B&Q stopped stocking it and it's been taken off the shelves in the US as cancer causing. Lawsuit big payout etc.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 6:06 pm 

Boobs not Moobs wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:
BlackMac wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:
Any suggestions?

Roundup is probably not the best. B&Q stopped stocking it and it's been taken off the shelves in the US as cancer causing. Lawsuit big payout etc.

If it kills mare's tail, I'll handle open jars of coronavirus culture with no ppe.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:13 pm 

Uncle Fester wrote:
BlackMac wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:
Any suggestions?

They say it would help, but could be very time consuming depending on the degree of the outbreak. I've just treated one of the biggest outbreaks I have ever seen in a customers garden. They have raised beds which are about a quarter of an acre in total. No problem two weeks ago but when I turned up on Monday all the beds were covered in foot high Mare's tail. There was too much to bruise each stem so I used double strength commercial grade weedkiller, directly spraying each stem. It took me nearly 6 hours. :x Praying it works. Absolute Cnut of a weed and it might be a while before they can use the beds again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 540 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14