Official PR Gardening thread. + Corona virus Expansion Pack

All things Rugby
Openside

Re: Official PR Gardening thread. + Corona virus Expansion P

Post by Openside »

We have built a vegetable patch during lockdown!! It is the first time i have done anything in my garden In 23 years :lol: :lol:
Boobs not Moobs

Post by Boobs not Moobs »

Thankfully the potatoes are first early.

Before

After
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Delighted to see this thread!

Over the Irish lockdown I decided to grow a few things on our balcony, gets decent sun. Have some peppers and tomatoes out there now. One question, what size pots should I use for these plants when it comes to repotting? They have been repotted once from germinating trays to some medium (2L I think) pots, and some are in jars until I can get more pots (local hardware store is out).

Also, why would my tomato plants be going a bit yellow?
Boobs not Moobs

Depends what tomatoes you have. If they're tall growing, then 10l min. Small bush toms you might get away with 5l at a pinch. That said my small bush toms are way too tall this year. I grew some small bush toms in hanging basket last year and they did great and can't have been more than 5l.

I've got a bunch of these 30cm one's https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001CJ5P0S/ ... UTF8&psc=1 They work great and they're about 10l. That said most people say use as large as you can but that takes room and costs more money so just make sure you feed it and give it regular water or stand it in a tray with water as there's less soil to absorb water in smaller pots.
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

Bullettyme wrote:Delighted to see this thread!

Over the Irish lockdown I decided to grow a few things on our balcony, gets decent sun. Have some peppers and tomatoes out there now. One question, what size pots should I use for these plants when it comes to repotting? They have been repotted once from germinating trays to some medium (2L I think) pots, and some are in jars until I can get more pots (local hardware store is out).

Also, why would my tomato plants be going a bit yellow?
Barely go bigger in re-potting, rule of thumb is no more than 20%.
If you stick em in a grow bag with support you can go a lot more, would be messy on a balcony.
We used to grow so many peppers I put them in plastic milk cartons till I found a home for them.
Edit to say I have never not had some yellowing, the causes are endless from under to over watering lack of nitrogen etc.
It really is a great help if you can leave them standing in water.
Last edited by lorcanoworms on Sun May 24, 2020 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
alliswell

Post by alliswell »

A question, my coriander bolted and is now flowering it up. Will these flowers go all seedy and if they do, is it worth trying to plant those seeds?
lemonhead

Post by lemonhead »

Coriander bolts at a second's notice. Seeds will probably work unless it's an F1 hybrid, (which is the seedcos genius method of selling plants that you can't propagate and force you to buy more). You can sew another load of the feckers and harvest them as microleaves tho.

Bullet - tomatos are fussy as feck. Need huge amounts of nutrients in the soil and needs the right watering, too dry and they complain, too wet and they also can yellow. A mild nitrogen/high potassium feed might be a good shout.
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

alliswell wrote:A question, my coriander bolted and is now flowering it up. Will these flowers go all seedy and if they do, is it worth trying to plant those seeds?
Give it a go, not quite the same but I keep the seeds of marigold, foxglove, callendula etc and grow them on indoors.
Just as well as have not been able to get any bedding plants.
@ Bullet didn't read it properly but 2lL is a good start I reckon you could go to 5L alright.
backrow

Post by backrow »

Boobs, I have the same shed / garage as you :o
Think the make is Compton’s.

I have it situated at foot of garden, and have run blackberries up the sides of it to cover the pebbledash plus they would grow in indirect sun and in my shitty clay soil .
Boobs not Moobs

backrow wrote:Boobs, I have the same shed / garage as you :o

I have it situated at foot of garden, and have run blackberries up the sides of it to cover the pebbledash plus they would grow in indirect sun and in my shitty clay soil .
That's next doors, it's my Dads garden. He had one but knocked it down a few weeks ago and has built the walls of an L shaped workshop for his motorbikes and a mini he's had sitting in the back for 25 years ish and still swears he's going to repair.
alliswell

Post by alliswell »

:thumbup:
Openside

Post by Openside »

I have spent the morning tidying up the Falklands plot at the military Cemetery for a bit Class of 82 funeral on 8th June and then spent the afternoon cutting down a large yew tree in the back garden (without injuring myself this time!!)
backrow

Post by backrow »

Boobs not Moobs wrote:
backrow wrote:Boobs, I have the same shed / garage as you :o

That's next doors, it's my Dads garden. He had one but knocked it down a few weeks ago and has built the walls of an L shaped workshop for his motorbikes and a mini he's had sitting in the back for 25 years ish and still swears he's going to repair.
Soz - didn’t see a garden fence so thought it was yours .
Tell your dad if he has a car that nobody sees but only hears about, it has to be a rare expensive Porsche ! (Preferably someplace random in Northamptonshire)
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

BlackMac wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:Mare's tail back for its annual ravage of our garden.
Any suggestions?
Don't listen to any of the non weed killer methods, they are bollocks. Weed killer and more weed killer but wait till it is about a foot high.

There are a number of products that people claim area more effective. I think the RHS recommend one.
Concentrated round up do the trick? Bruising the fronds as well I assume?
Boobs not Moobs

Uncle Fester wrote:
BlackMac wrote:
Any suggestions?
Don't listen to any of the non weed killer methods, they are bollocks. Weed killer and more weed killer but wait till it is about a foot high.

There are a number of products that people claim area more effective. I think the RHS recommend one.
Roundup is probably not the best. B&Q stopped stocking it and it's been taken off the shelves in the US as cancer causing. Lawsuit big payout etc.
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

Boobs not Moobs wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:
BlackMac wrote:
Any suggestions?

Roundup is probably not the best. B&Q stopped stocking it and it's been taken off the shelves in the US as cancer causing. Lawsuit big payout etc.
If it kills mare's tail, I'll handle open jars of coronavirus culture with no ppe.
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

Uncle Fester wrote:
BlackMac wrote:
Any suggestions?

They say it would help, but could be very time consuming depending on the degree of the outbreak. I've just treated one of the biggest outbreaks I have ever seen in a customers garden. They have raised beds which are about a quarter of an acre in total. No problem two weeks ago but when I turned up on Monday all the beds were covered in foot high Mare's tail. There was too much to bruise each stem so I used double strength commercial grade weedkiller, directly spraying each stem. It took me nearly 6 hours. :x Praying it works. Absolute Cnut of a weed and it might be a while before they can use the beds again.
Munster-fogs

Post by Munster-fogs »

Just a quick question. I've patches of grass on my lawn which have become discoloured and some areas of the grass have stopped growing for many weeks now. I had planned to get a pitchfork and prod the grass with it to aerate it. Will this help the grass or am I wasting my time with the pitchfork? I put down weed and feed a couple of months ago which was pretty good, although there are weeds starting to creep back into the grass..mostly clover.
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

Munster-fogs wrote:Just a quick question. I've patches of grass on my lawn which have become discoloured and some areas of the grass have stopped growing for many weeks now. I had planned to get a pitchfork and prod the grass with it to aerate it. Will this help the grass or am I wasting my time with the pitchfork? I put down weed and feed a couple of months ago which was pretty good, although there are weeds starting to creep back into the grass..mostly clover.
If your weather is anything like ours has been I would imagine it is just the lawn starting to go dormant due to the dry weather. Aerating it won't really do much at the moment. If it doesn't rain, try and get some regular water on it and then repeat the weed and feed. Don't be tempted to over feed the bad patches
jammy donut

Post by jammy donut »

Plant Ideas for a rock garden ? - My head gardiner //globus style// has built a rectangular plant area which is 3.5m long and 2.5m wide and 80cm high (lots of inches x some more inches x somewhat fewer inches) , temperate climate on the atlantic coast, never too hot, never too cold (frost is rare) and a bit of wind in the winter.

Looking for some ideas of plants to stick in there, got a lot of m2 to fill up - not too tall (+/-80cm), lots of different colours and preferably keep their leaves...

Cheers
jabberwocky

Post by jabberwocky »

Anyone out at midnight several nights a week with a torch and tin of boiling water launching a genocidal war on slugs? Just me then?

Touch my lupins and delphiniums, I cut you.

The Guinness traps have worked well, much as it pains me to waste the beer.
Boobs not Moobs

First veg from raised bed :D (aside from Kale rocket and lettuce) Rosa 2 radish. Dad has nabbed the leaves for his smoothies.

Munster-fogs

Post by Munster-fogs »

BlackMac wrote:
Munster-fogs wrote:Just a quick question. I've patches of grass on my lawn which have become discoloured and some areas of the grass have stopped growing for many weeks now. I had planned to get a pitchfork and prod the grass with it to aerate it. Will this help the grass or am I wasting my time with the pitchfork? I put down weed and feed a couple of months ago which was pretty good, although there are weeds starting to creep back into the grass..mostly clover.
If your weather is anything like ours has been I would imagine it is just the lawn starting to go dormant due to the dry weather. Aerating it won't really do much at the moment. If it doesn't rain, try and get some regular water on it and then repeat the weed and feed. Don't be tempted to over feed the bad patches
:thumbup:
lemonhead

Post by lemonhead »

jammy donut wrote:Plant Ideas for a rock garden ? - My head gardiner //globus style// has built a rectangular plant area which is 3.5m long and 2.5m wide and 80cm high (lots of inches x some more inches x somewhat fewer inches) , temperate climate on the atlantic coast, never too hot, never too cold (frost is rare) and a bit of wind in the winter.

Looking for some ideas of plants to stick in there, got a lot of m2 to fill up - not too tall (+/-80cm), lots of different colours and preferably keep their leaves...

Cheers
Sounds lke you can grow pretty much anything in those conditions.

Had plenty of success over the years with phormiums, fascicularias, puyas, agapanthus, sedums, with self seeders like erigeron, osteospermum and californian poppy in between. Guy on a neighbouring island grows cactii out in the open which shrugs off salt spray but far too much blimmin work. I'd check out a theme and pick/mix the plants that go with it: exotics, alpine, coastal etc.
Caley_Red

Post by Caley_Red »

Anyone any good tips for herb growing?

I have bought some young chives and young lemon thyme. From what I have read, they're both pretty hardy with chives requiring more water but both requiring a good amount of sunlight. I'll be looking to, once they mature, take cuttings for cooking so any tips on how best to do that without killing them would also be great.
Shrekles

Post by Shrekles »

As long as they have reasobly well drained soil they will grow pretty much anywhere - frost will make the chives die back but they will come again in spring - don't over water them and you will be fine.
tabascoboy

Post by tabascoboy »

Got a good small crop of first early potatoes (Duke of York) from the first container I've dug up today, and two larger containers to go. Found that cutting down the stems and leaving the potatoes in the soil helps them to keep far longer than if you dig them all up and try to keep them in storage.

Tomatoes not growing well again, like last year, despite plenty of warm sunny weather in May :frown:
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

Boobs not Moobs wrote:First veg from raised bed :D (aside from Kale rocket and lettuce) Rosa 2 radish. Dad has nabbed the leaves for his smoothies.

I feel healthier already just looking at that pic.
Boobs not Moobs

Picked 2 swift pots late last week, ended up freezing them. Left side of raised bed, loads of potatoes, right side hardly any, right side gets a little bit of shadow for a couple of hours a day that's all. Picked some more yesterday and will use them to make Biram later today.

Got the first courgette. Was supposed to be Golden Griller but it's a green Griller, aka fat bottomed courgette. Something went wrong with the packing. That one is at least a week or 2 ahead of getting any other courgettes. Again it's going in the Biram. Also had a few sweetbell turnips which haven't tasted yet. I've got a couple of other varieties in a potato bag planter for later in the season. Beetroot are coming along but they're behind after being over shadowed by the potatoes. Onions are a disaster being so close to potatoes and I've put a couple of celery's into the spots where the potatoes are. Never putting potatoes in the raised bed again.

Found this recipe for courgettes works well though I'd use parmesan instead of cheddar or I had really rubbish cheddar. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/cou ... eddar-soup
Saint

Post by Saint »

BlackMac wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:
BlackMac wrote:
Any suggestions?

They say it would help, but could be very time consuming depending on the degree of the outbreak. I've just treated one of the biggest outbreaks I have ever seen in a customers garden. They have raised beds which are about a quarter of an acre in total. No problem two weeks ago but when I turned up on Monday all the beds were covered in foot high Mare's tail. There was too much to bruise each stem so I used double strength commercial grade weedkiller, directly spraying each stem. It took me nearly 6 hours. :x Praying it works. Absolute Cnut of a weed and it might be a while before they can use the beds again.
I've been hit hard by it this year. Double strength retail grade weedkiller every week for 4 weeks seems to have done the trick.
Glaston

Post by Glaston »

Despite all the amazing weather the grape vine looks like its going to have its worst year ever.
The upper bits were hit by frost in may and as far as I can see there are about 3 flower spikes.

I made nearly 6 litres of grape juice from last years crop.

I was getting rather worried by the sweet corn, finally have some female flowers emerging.
Peppers/Aubergines are going strong.
Spuds, are rubbish.

Biggest hassle is trying to control the algae in the pond, it hasnt been cleaned out in years so the actual amount of water in it is not huge and sunny days get the water pretty warm.

Spent ages digging out Monbretia corms from a stone/earth wall and may have knackered the tendon in my thumb. Google says my symptoms are "trigger thumb".

At least its not the dodgy type of hand cramp. :lol:

Added to the list of shortages due to Covid
Large pots and compost.
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

A plum tree in the garden doesn't produce any plums at all, flowers nicely though.
It's about 15/16 years old, chop or not.
Munster-fogs

Re: Official PR Gardening thread. + Corona virus Expansion Pack

Post by Munster-fogs »

Anyone know anything about mulching lawnmowers? Looking at getting one but know absolutely nothing about them. Willing to spend max 600 quid on one but preferably cheaper. Could anyone point me in the right direction? Presumably there's ones to avoid.
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

Munster-fogs wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:14 pm Anyone know anything about mulching lawnmowers? Looking at getting one but know absolutely nothing about them. Willing to spend max 600 quid on one but preferably cheaper. Could anyone point me in the right direction? Presumably there's ones to avoid.
Expect to spend 450+. You've a good bit of time to decide though. No cutting grass until Paddies day!
Munster-fogs

Post by Munster-fogs »

feckwanker wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:17 pm
Munster-fogs wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:14 pm Anyone know anything about mulching lawnmowers? Looking at getting one but know absolutely nothing about them. Willing to spend max 600 quid on one but preferably cheaper. Could anyone point me in the right direction? Presumably there's ones to avoid.
Expect to spend 450+. You've a good bit of time to decide though. No cutting grass until Paddies day!
Ya I know they're generally more expensive than the standard lawnmowers. Just don't want to pay 500 quid on a dud.
lemonhead

Post by lemonhead »

lorcanoworms wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:14 am A plum tree in the garden doesn't produce any plums at all, flowers nicely though.
You may have already killed with a spoon but otherwise: if you like the look, keep it. If you want it to fruit then plant a partner tree.

Plums rarely set fruit without another nearby so the bees can do their thing. Even self fertile ones do better with another pollinator. Chances are no one knows the variety after 15yrs so I'd add either a gage, damson or mirabelle.

https://blog.primrose.co.uk/2018/11/25/ ... ion-guide/

Fogs - sorry mate, never heard of them! But we always used Hayters & Hondas at the gardening co.
Last edited by lemonhead on Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Demilich

Post by Demilich »

lorcanoworms wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:14 am A plum tree in the garden doesn't produce any plums at all, flowers nicely though.
Do you know the variety? A lot of them need to be cross pollinated by specific other varieties. I have two yellow flesh plum varieties which get cross pollinated, and vice versa, by two red flesh varieties (though red-flesh pollinating yellow-flesh isn't a hard and fast rule - I dislike yellow plums and the wife dislikes red ones, so it's just a useful blend for us).

If you do know what it is, or can get someone to identify it, you should be able to plant an appropriate pollinator (you could even guerilla plant it somewhere near by if you don't want it on your own property - as long as it's close enough that bees will fly between them - the closer the better though). There are extensive lists on which varieties will work online.
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

Munster-fogs wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:30 pm
Ya I know they're generally more expensive than the standard lawnmowers. Just don't want to pay 500 quid on a dud.
Bought one the moss loved it.
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

Demilich wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:08 pm
Do you know the variety? A lot of them need to be cross pollinated by specific other varieties. I have two yellow flesh plum varieties which get cross pollinated, and vice versa, by two red flesh varieties (though red-flesh pollinating yellow-flesh isn't a hard and fast rule - I dislike yellow plums and the wife dislikes red ones, so it's just a useful blend for us).

If you do know what it is, or can get someone to identify it, you should be able to plant an appropriate pollinator (you could even guerilla plant it somewhere near by if you don't want it on your own property - as long as it's close enough that bees will fly between them - the closer the better though). There are extensive lists on which varieties will work online.
I do recall it claimed on the tag pollination not required, there was another plum tree on the other side of the garden.
Munster-fogs

Post by Munster-fogs »

lorcanoworms wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:31 pm
Munster-fogs wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:30 pm
Bought one the moss loved it.
Really? Did you have a constant moss issue?