Official PR Gardening thread. + Corona virus Expansion Pack

All things Rugby
ukjim

Re: Official PR Gardening thread. + Corona virus Expansion P

Post by ukjim »

loads of lettuce in the greenhouse and purple sprouting broccoli atm.

have enough seedlings on the go to hopefully keep us in veg through till the lean months of next winter.
easyray

Re: The PR Gardening thread.

Post by easyray »

lorcanoworms wrote:This wild garlic is really invasive alright, reckon it might invent ftl before we do.
Very invasive. 20 years ago wild garlic started turning up around on certian hedgerows around us. Bit of a novelty them. Now it's everywhere, miles and miles of the stuff.
crash 669

Post by crash 669 »

Putting my first lot of potatoes in today. How much do you lot space between plants?

I've already got carrots, onions, parsnips and rubarb in the ground but it's the first time anything's been planted in this soil so no idea how it'll play out. Plenty of worms though so at least that's a good sign.
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

Resolva gave the wild garlic a bit of a setback, will try and get a stronger one.
Geek

Post by Geek »

crash 669 wrote:Putting my first lot of potatoes in today. How much do you lot space between plants?

I've already got carrots, onions, parsnips and rubarb in the ground but it's the first time anything's been planted in this soil so no idea how it'll play out. Plenty of worms though so at least that's a good sign.
Potatoes need more space than most. About 2 feet between rows and about 8 to 9 inches between seed potatoes in a row. I planted mine yesterday: 2 rows of first earlies and 2 rows of mains. The other veg need more or less space dependent on the size of the tubers. Carrots should be planted relatively closely and then thinned out as they start to come up.
Ewinkum

Post by Ewinkum »

Geek wrote:
crash 669 wrote:Putting my first lot of potatoes in today. How much do you lot space between plants?

Potatoes need more space than most. About 2 feet between rows and about 8 to 9 inches between seed potatoes in a row. I planted mine yesterday: 2 rows of first earlies and 2 rows of mains. The other veg need more or less space dependent on the size of the tubers. Carrots should be planted relatively closely and then thinned out as they start to come up.
I plant mine in a patch rather than rows. 16 inch spacing.
On the carrot front, keep them hungry. Bury any compost/fertilizer about 8 inches down. They’ll grow straight and not start to thicken up until they hit the motherload.

I found that out the hard way first time I grew them. I put the compost on top and ended up with a crop of hand shaped, shitty carrots.
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

Working from home and this weather means my garden is getting much more sorted than I thought - spent 6 hours with the chainsaw the other day chopping up trees I felled last year.

Out of interest, just how bad is it to burn eucalyptus in an indoor stove? I know it's not advisable but could I get away with a log or two every now and then?
backrow

Post by backrow »

I mowed the lawn yesterday - wife wasn’t amused when I asked her if she wanted me to trim her lawn later. :?
tabascoboy

Post by tabascoboy »

Even garden centres being plundered over the weekend, had to go to three different ones to get what I wanted. Decided earlier in the year to rest the spud growing this year - turned out not to be the best move I've ever made. Seed potatoes pretty much out of stock or with long spindly shoots.

At least I have some carrots nearly ready which thanks to the mild winter survived well under cover through the winter.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Turns out coronavirus makes you smell strongly of The Poo; where 'you' takes the value, 'me'.

I bought a corrugated zincalume raised garden container (some v. fúcken and fiddly annoying assenbly required) and later, a raised metal tray on legs with wheels (assembly a piece of piss even tho' the instructions were for another model). They were running low on bagged raised garden soil so I supplemented it with bagged cowshit and potting mix.

IMO, the potting mix smells worse: a sourish, decaying wood smell. Either way, what with that and the blood and bone I added, Ms MungoSpouse is taking social distancing to new limits.

By christ we'd better get some top-notch greens and herbs from this little lot (terrible pun intended).
Munster-fogs

Post by Munster-fogs »

Almost certainly a noob question, but I'm sitting out my back garden and there is an unmerciful amount of fly's flying around the place, to the point where it's not really comfortable sitting out as they're feckin everywhere. It seems to be just around the back wall of my house. I also remember having the same issue last year, only around the back wall of my house, nowhere else. Any reason or explanation for this? I currently have no plants, just grass so not quite sure what's attracting them.
Munster-fogs

Post by Munster-fogs »

And another question, what is the best way to dispose of grass clippings after cutting it? I'd rather not have it trailed across the lawn. Are compost bins the only way?
Salix

Post by Salix »

feckwanker wrote:Working from home and this weather means my garden is getting much more sorted than I thought - spent 6 hours with the chainsaw the other day chopping up trees I felled last year.

Out of interest, just how bad is it to burn eucalyptus in an indoor stove? I know it's not advisable but could I get away with a log or two every now and then?
Eucalyptus is great firewood. Just make sure you split it when green and season it well.
backrow

Post by backrow »

question for gardening types seeing as the weather is quit nice.
Last year, I got some 'weed preventor' fabric that you roll over a garden, and some Strech Mulch stuff to put over the top so that the soil looks like soil and not a mebrane. All well and good, the little front garden area and the bits I did in the back garden all seem to have stayed plant and weed free, with the bushes I wanted to poke out doing just that.

All well and good.

however, now, and especially after the uber wet feb, there are a few weeds or plants pushing through between the gaps in the sheets - my question is, what is the best way of working out what is a weed or what is a nice plant ?
I am extraordinarly bad at working such stuff out as tbh one leaf looks much like another to me.

the end plan is to have all the weeds gone, and some nice flowers and shit planted in the hole I cut in the membrane, with the mulchy stuff around, much like a well kept garden in an Office campus looks like.

cheers :thumbup:
tabascoboy

Post by tabascoboy »

There's no easy way although weeds tend to look like...well, weeds. Most commonly dandelion, chickweed, shepherds purse, groundsel. You just have to get to know what's what...

Just keep an eye out for the ones that are really invasive like celandine, ground elder and grub them out ASAP

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/common-weeds
Brazil

Post by Brazil »

My Tomatoes and Chillies are coming on well for when I get my greenhouse. Sadly the Santorini Aubergine seeds appear to have been subjected to radiation or something whilst in storage, and haven't germinated at all.

Currently also waiting to see whether the fig tree I moved in the garden has survived the ordeal or not. It seems like it's coming into leaf much later this year than previously, but that's true of some others I've seen.
backrow

Post by backrow »

tabascoboy wrote:There's no easy way although weeds tend to look like...well, weeds. Most commonly dandelion, chickweed, shepherds purse, groundsel. You just have to get to know what's what...

Just keep an eye out for the ones that are really invasive like celandine, ground elder and grub them out ASAP

Perfect ! Forum delivers again !

Looks to be some cleavers , some docks, and that’s it. Main ones I will post a pic about shortly
backrow

Post by backrow »

Here you go - i drew a cartoon so you’d know it was a genuine question from me :thumbup:

Edit - unsure why the pic has gone square though as it misses some of the cartoon, but if you click on it all will be revealed - anyhows is the plant a weed ?
Glaston

Post by Glaston »

Bit peeved after yesterday mornings hard frost.

Greenhouse max min thing said nearly -5 which I didnt believe at the time but it may have been true.

My fuschia cuttings I had nursed through the winter in the house which I had been hardening off in the greenhouse are a goner.
No mention of such a hard frost on the local forecast on wed evening.
Munster-fogs

Post by Munster-fogs »

:lol:
lemonhead

Post by lemonhead »

backrow wrote:Here you go - i drew a cartoon so you’d know it was a genuine question from me :thumbup:

Edit - unsure why the pic has gone square though as it misses some of the cartoon, but if you click on it all will be revealed - anyhows is the plant a weed ?

Normally ok on these but a bit stumped here. Looks a bit too well organised to be a weed.

Do the leaves, when split/crushed smell oniony in any way? Or might be a pendulous sedge but the leaves look too squat and more like an ornamental bulb or agapanthus.
Last edited by lemonhead on Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Glaston

Post by Glaston »

backrow wrote:Here you go - i drew a cartoon so you’d know it was a genuine question from me :thumbup:

bluebell?

ps I hope you wiped the pic before your girls see it.
backrow

Post by backrow »

lemonhead wrote:

Normally ok on these but a bit stumped here. Looks a bit too well organised to be a weed.

Do the leaves, when split/crushed smell oniony in any way? Or might be a pendulous sedge but the leaves look too squat and more like an ornamental bulb or agapanthus.
that is kind of what I thought, the plants are actually not unattractive and did have planted stuff in a few years ago when we had less children - but I don't recognise it. no Oniony smell at all when crushed, just Plant-y smell.

ALSO, some traveller types did our front garden - unsure where they got the soil from but loads of potatoes appeared a month or so after they left :lol:
so the plants could be almost anything.
backrow

Post by backrow »

Glaston wrote:

bluebell?

ps I hope you wiped the pic before your girls see it.
pfft i'm not an amateur, my 'delete all cookies & history EVER' reflex is so quick, that pic was wiped before I stood up straight !
lemonhead

Post by lemonhead »

backrow wrote:
lemonhead wrote:

that is kind of what I thought, the plants are actually not unattractive and did have planted stuff in a few years ago when we had less children - but I don't recognise it. no Oniony smell at all when crushed, just Plant-y smell.

ALSO, some traveller types did our front garden - unsure where they got the soil from but loads of potatoes appeared a month or so after they left :lol:
Yeah, leaves look too glossy to be ribwort so could be valuable. Can always leave till it flowers, which should make it very obvious.

Btw just read previous post - maintaining proper thick layer of bark mulch helps out better than landscape fabric over time as weeds can often grow through and over, latching their roots on to it.

Thicker the layers they have to grow through from their roots in soil to the surface, more weak, spindly and fragile they get. You'll always need to weed out but they'll be far easier pickings.
backrow

Post by backrow »

lemonhead wrote:
backrow wrote:
lemonhead wrote:

Yeah, leaves look too glossy to be ribwort so could be valuable. Can always leave till it flowers, which should make it very obvious.

Btw just read previous post - maintaining proper thick layer of bark mulch helps out better than landscape fabric over time as weeds can often grow through and over, latching their roots on to it.

Thicker the layers they have to grow through from their roots in soil to the surface, more weak, spindly and fragile they get. You'll always need to weed out but they'll be far easier pickings.
right so the plan was (and I had all the good intentions last year to complete this !) this:
1. Weed / take out all plants in front and back garden that were not the shrubs, roses, apple trees etc that we had planted. I also left a few choice Blackberries and Raspberries for the kids.
2. Got this massive roll of membrane from Costco for a tenner - that was going to be the stage 1 barrier
3. bought a few bags of Streltch / Mulch / whatever it was called, kind of looks like a wood fibre that needs to be wetted to make a barrier - this was the stage 2 barrier and visually its much nicer than fabric.
4. buy some nice plants and flowers and bushes and put them in regular places.

sadly not all of 1 took place, and none of stage 4 - high winds and wet feb meant some gaps did indeed appear, but basically the barrier worked very well and its manageable.
Ewinkum

Post by Ewinkum »

tabascoboy wrote:There's no easy way although weeds tend to look like...well, weeds. Most commonly dandelion, chickweed, shepherds purse, groundsel. You just have to get to know what's what...

Can be tricky alright, but just have a good look at them and see if they match any other plants growing where you definitely didn’t plant anything on purpose.
Ewinkum

Post by Ewinkum »

I took the cover off my fish pond yesterday.

They’re alive!

The pond is about 2.5 feet deep. I covered about 90% of it with styrofoam last November and stuck a trough heater in there, (farmer tool for keeping drinking water thawed out for animals. Only kicks in at 1 degree C or thereabouts), as well as a pump to keep the heat circulating.

The fish, cheap goldfish and minnows, go into a torpor and barely eat so I only fed them once a week or so.

Frost line here is about 2M down, but the pond stayed liquid, except for the layer of snow on top of the insulation.

They’re all soaking up the sun today after nearly 5 months of darkness. Tough bastards.
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

Munster-fogs wrote:And another question, what is the best way to dispose of grass clippings after cutting it? I'd rather not have it trailed across the lawn. Are compost bins the only way?
Leaving on the grass in anything other than minute quantities will increase risk of fungi and a generally shit lawn.

Use your brown bin and black as well. Too much in the compost bin makes the compost very slimey. You need to have a bit of a mix in there.
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

Munster-fogs wrote:Almost certainly a noob question, but I'm sitting out my back garden and there is an unmerciful amount of fly's flying around the place, to the point where it's not really comfortable sitting out as they're feckin everywhere. It seems to be just around the back wall of my house. I also remember having the same issue last year, only around the back wall of my house, nowhere else. Any reason or explanation for this? I currently have no plants, just grass so not quite sure what's attracting them.
Any trees?
We have Leyland Cypress and they love using those as a base to venture out into the rest of the garden.

Is your garden shaded? They don't like direct sun or wind.
Install a wind tunnel and that'll get rid of them.
Boobs not Moobs

Post by Boobs not Moobs »

In serious need of advice

I bought 3 types of seed potatoes
Picasso - started sprouting
Fir apple - all need chitting
Early swift - lots of sprouts

All are all salad potatoes.

We've built a raised bed and compost is coming on Sunday. I also have some herb/strawberry bags which can be used for pots.
Q1 - Apparently they take up a huge about of space in a raised bed with some plans online showing 1 seed pot to 4 sq foot. However for putting in the bags I am told I can put in 3 seed pots per bag. Can someone please give me some recommendations thanks
Q2 Are salad pots more compact than normal potato plants?

Carrots
I was planning on planting carrots in the raised bed however it's been said not to plant the just in compost but that's all I have?

What I'm planning on planting in pots or raised bed
Raised bed
Baby carrots
Full size carrots
Onion seeds
Spring onion seeds
Kale
Rocket
General mixed salad
giant red celery (currently in propagator)
Igloo cauliflower (tiny head kind - in propagator)
Beetroot
Radish
(I've also got Calabrese broccoli seeds but thinking I won't use these) Same with purple sprouting broccoli.

For containers I have
Loads of bush determinate compact toms
Sungold toms
Cucumber
Lemon Crystal cucumber
Aubergine
Pointy peppers
Courgettes

I've done al the container stuff before, it's the raised bed I haven't done.
Ewinkum

Post by Ewinkum »

Boobs not Moobs wrote:In serious need of advice

I bought 3 types of seed potatoes
Picasso - started sprouting
Fir apple - all need chitting
Early swift - lots of sprouts

All are all salad potatoes.

We've built a raised bed and compost is coming on Sunday. I also have some herb/strawberry bags which can be used for pots.
Q1 - Apparently they take up a huge about of space in a raised bed with some plans online showing 1 seed pot to 4 sq foot. However for putting in the bags I am told I can put in 3 seed pots per bag. Can someone please give me some recommendations thanks
Q2 Are salad pots more compact than normal potato plants?

Carrots
I was planning on planting carrots in the raised bed however it's been said not to plant the just in compost but that's all I have?

What I'm planning on planting in pots or raised bed
Raised bed
Baby carrots
Full size carrots
Onion seeds
Spring onion seeds
Kale
Rocket
General mixed salad
giant red celery (currently in propagator)
Igloo cauliflower (tiny head kind - in propagator)
Beetroot
Radish
(I've also got Calabrese broccoli seeds but thinking I won't use these) Same with purple sprouting broccoli.

For containers I have
Loads of bush determinate compact toms
Sungold toms
Cucumber
Lemon Crystal cucumber
Aubergine
Pointy peppers
Courgettes

I've done al the container stuff before, it's the raised bed I haven't done.
Spuds are grand at 16 inch spacing. I’d say you’d fit 4 in the 4 square ft planter as they will overhang the sides and get plenty of light.

Carrots don’t do well in compost. No incentive to grow down in search of food. They’ll just fork out all over the place and Hoover up the local nutrients.
If you don’t have soil I would layer the compost into the bottom of the planter and cover it in some low nutrient stuff like potting mix. About 8 inches deep or so.
Carrots will grow straight down to the good stuff and thicken up once they get there.
Boobs not Moobs

Post by Boobs not Moobs »

Thanks, I'll put the pots at the edge then. Not sure I can get hold of bog standard soil at the mo.
Munster-fogs

Post by Munster-fogs »

Uncle Fester wrote:
Munster-fogs wrote:And another question, what is the best way to dispose of grass clippings after cutting it? I'd rather not have it trailed across the lawn. Are compost bins the only way?
Leaving on the grass in anything other than minute quantities will increase risk of fungi and a generally shit lawn.

Use your brown bin and black as well. Too much in the compost bin makes the compost very slimey. You need to have a bit of a mix in there.
Ok thanks.
Uncle Fester wrote:
Munster-fogs wrote:Almost certainly a noob question, but I'm sitting out my back garden and there is an unmerciful amount of fly's flying around the place, to the point where it's not really comfortable sitting out as they're feckin everywhere. It seems to be just around the back wall of my house. I also remember having the same issue last year, only around the back wall of my house, nowhere else. Any reason or explanation for this? I currently have no plants, just grass so not quite sure what's attracting them.
Any trees?
We have Leyland Cypress and they love using those as a base to venture out into the rest of the garden.

Is your garden shaded? They don't like direct sun or wind.
Install a wind tunnel and that'll get rid of them.
That's the thing, there's no trees at all and it's south facing so no shade. I currently haven't gotten around to putting in a side gate which creates a fair bit of wind swirling around the garden as the walls are quite tall. It's bizarre, i've never seen it at my parents or in laws houses.
Shrekles

Post by Shrekles »

After all the drought breaking rain we have had the autumn flowers are stunning.

Geek

Post by Geek »

Ewinkum wrote:
Geek wrote:

I plant mine in a patch rather than rows. 16 inch spacing.
On the carrot front, keep them hungry. Bury any compost/fertilizer about 8 inches down. They’ll grow straight and not start to thicken up until they hit the motherload.

I found that out the hard way first time I grew them. I put the compost on top and ended up with a crop of hand shaped, shitty carrots.
If your potatoes are in a patch how do you earth them up?

I'll try that with the carrots this year - nice one!
Geek

Post by Geek »

Shrekles wrote:After all the drought breaking rain we have had the autumn flowers are stunning.

Beautiful flower! What is it?
Shrekles

Post by Shrekles »

It is a Dahlia but it is growing up through a climbing rose.
Munster-fogs

Post by Munster-fogs »

Shrekles wrote:After all the drought breaking rain we have had the autumn flowers are stunning.

:thumbup:
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Shrekles wrote:It is a Dahlia but it is growing up through a climbing rose.
:lol:

Not being a great flower-spotter, I was thinking dahlia (question-mark) but jeeze what about them leaves?