Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:23 pm 

There for the week with the missus and wanted advice on the best things to see, things to avoid, any tricks to save money and best places to eat. You plum were very helpful last time when I was in New York :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:27 pm 

The things to see are the obvious tourist traps to be honest. As to eating and drinking, there is a vast difference between the main streets and squares and a short distance of the beaten track where the food and drink is more traditional and a fraction of the price.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:54 pm 

Thinly curled "I've got a girlfriend" thread

Charles bridge and the clock in the main square are the two tourist things.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:55 pm 

Watch for pickpockets

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:57 pm 

Quite a few years ago we stayed at a very good b&b called "the boot", but in Czech. It was in the old city and well placed for wandering about. Architecture is wonderful and well preserved. Most of what's inside the architecture is tat and most of the people we met not that pleasant. Food was expensive in the main tourist spots but a few blocks back much cheaper. Beer was very good. Definitely worth a visit, but it was very crowded in November when we went and were told that it was packed from Spring through to Autumn.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:08 pm 

I worked there for a few months on two occasions. It was great. As others have said, the Charles Bridge and the Old Town Square are the 'must do' places to see and you can find cafes aplenty to watch the world go by. You don't have to go far off the beaten track to find restaurants with character and bars with excellent selections of Czech beer. I liked the area at the bottom of the hill by the castle and some of the roads on the way up. I also liked the area just off Old Town Square on the side farthest from the river. They are rather fond of dumplings of myriad varieties but there are a few places where you can find wild boar, which is one of my favourite meats. I also liked dark beer, but it is not widely available (worth searching for however). It was ridiculously cheap by UK standards, even in the most touristy areas.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:19 pm 

You should see Prague castle. Have dinner on a river cruise. Do the old town square area but best not to eat or go into the bars there. Maybe take a city tour or walking tour to get a feel for the city and then focus on the areas you'd like to spend time in.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:22 pm 

openclashXX wrote:
There for the week with the missus and wanted advice on the best things to see, things to avoid, any tricks to save money and best places to eat. You plum were very helpful last time when I was in New York :thumbup:

Well that's me shocked

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:41 pm 

A long weekend is enough for prague.

If you get a chance, head down to Cesky Krumlov (sp). You wont be dissapointed.

If its a hot sunny day in Prague than head to the Divoká Šárka wilderness area for a swim in the natural spring fed pools. The amount of T & A on display :shock:

As a rough guide for restaurants, take a look at the beer prices. If its 50k or more for a beer, walk away as you're in a tourist trap.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:06 pm 

Was there a few weeks ago, but was 100% shiftaced....James Dean was a good bar....that's all I got :uhoh:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:10 pm 

Hawk97 wrote:
Was there a few weeks ago, but was 100% shiftaced....James Dean was a good bar....that's all I got :uhoh:

Pretty much this, although it was last week

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:43 pm 

If the weather's right, Petrin Hill is a nice secluded circular walk past the observatory and memorial with good views of the city and surrounds.

As mentioned, anywhere remotely on the tourist trail or right on the river will fleece half your entire budget for an average meal out. If a place looks local, try it - really good pub & food by the main train station was sanctuary to us for 3 days after running out of money.

Which reminds me, do really watch pockets/keep cameras in your shoe, whatever - those interested are extremely good at what they do.

Further reading:

http://www.spottedbylocals.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:56 pm 

Zakar wrote:

If its a hot sunny day in Prague than head to the Divoká Šárka wilderness area for a swim in the natural spring fed pools. The amount of T & A on display :shock:

As a rough guide for restaurants, take a look at the beer prices. If its 50k or more for a beer, walk away as you're in a tourist trap.

Would agree three days is more than enough.

Also count the change given as they will rob you blind.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:40 pm 

A whole lot of SAB Miller guys who just had a conference in Prague got food poisoning in one of the hotels.

I heard it wasnt pretty... make sure you drink enough hard stuff to kill the bugs...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:30 pm 

Pedalo on the river, with a Pilsner :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:44 pm 

You can easy fill a week in Prague, there's lots of sites that people end up missing by sticking to the obvious ones e.g. Vysehrad, Troja, Bertramka, but if you're going to do a day trips away the following are decent:
- Cesky Krumlov as previously suggested is a really nice old town. On the cusp of too far for a day trip, so worth staying overnight.
- Karlovy Vary, spa town about an hour and a halfout of Prague, really attractive town
- Kutna Hora, less than an hopur from Prague. Attractive cathedral and an ossuary that's well worth visiting.
- Terezin - fortress and concentration camp (plus memorial) less than an hour out of Prague. Not an extermination camp but still interesting.

Karlstejn gets pushed as it's an attractive looking castle, from the outside, but I found it a tad boring to go round. Decent 18 hole course though. I found Konopiste to be a more interesting castle near Prague.

I lived in Prague for 6 years a while back. I'm not current on bars/restaurants but if you want tips on places to go in and out of Prague I've done them all.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:48 pm 

Zakar wrote:

Possibly due to the naturist area?

And 50 Kc for a beer :((

When I lived there you could get a beer for less than 10 Kc (if you knew where to go) and it was > Czk 50 = £1.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:55 pm 

Cheap as chips. Took €150 with me for a weekend. Came back with €20. Great city.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:36 pm 

zt1903 wrote:
Zakar wrote:

Possibly due to the naturist area?

And 50 Kc for a beer :((

When I lived there you could get a beer for less than 10 Kc (if you knew where to go) and it was > Czk 50 = £1.

Don't know why, but it was all quality too.

Only tourist traps will be 50 or above. 35-40 was standard with locals. 440 tins were about 15 in supermarkets

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:48 pm 

I ate in a place called the dog's bollocks last time. Got a nice steak for little cash. You should also go up to the castle and see the chap with the skull on his back and his balls hanging out. It's good luck to kiss his left testicle. Their society is very ball-centric

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:55 pm 

Wasn't really that impressed with the place. They seem to be trying to make themselves the Paris of Central Europe and sweep away any sort of Bohemian vibe to the place. Thought it was a bit characterless to be honest.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:13 pm 

I lived there on and off and visited lots for the last 10 years (my missus is Czech), but just fly back from there tonight so a bit wrecked. I'll do a full response tomorrow.

When are you going? We're getting close to the burcak season and if its about and you like risks give it a go. Its young wine, but it looks and tastes like cloudy cider.... and its sold in 2 litre plastic bottles from roadside stalls.... and they don't put the top on the bottle until you buy it to stop it exploding. The thing about it is you have no idea how strong it is so it will either give you a light buzz of blow your head off, thats the fun of it.

As someone said Cesky Krumlov is worth a visit for a couple of nights. You can book a bus from Andel with the Student Bus agency (3 hour bus journey 400 kc return - about £15) which isn't actually a bus service for students (I avoided it for years on that basis before getting one - comfy seats, free tea and coffee, movies and good value beer).

Where are you staying? There are loads of great restaurants all over the city. Do you like your beers? Do you want music or theatre?

If you want sport avoid rocky o'reillys, the James Joyce and JJ Murphy's are far better sports bars, one each side of the river and away from the worst tourist areas so cheaper with better beer.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:13 am 

We stayed at the Hotel Leonardo on our honeymoon. Nice spot, centrally located. As said, get off the beaten track; the smaller side streets have better food options. Ask for "Tmave" pivo wherever you go, the dark stuff is always better. We took a jazz cruise on the river one evening which was a nice change.

If you have time/want to get out of Prague itself, Cesky Krumlov is a couple hours down the road and is a proper little gem of a preserved medieval town. Ask for directions to the Meat Cave.

Last edited by DOB on Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:17 am 

If you go to the Sex Machine museum, don't go to the top floor :uhoh:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:38 pm 

Bump.

Going with a friend in a few weeks, what's good to do and see?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:49 pm 

MrJonno wrote:
I lived there on and off and visited lots for the last 10 years (my missus is Czech), but just fly back from there tonight so a bit wrecked. I'll do a full response tomorrow.

When are you going? We're getting close to the burcak season and if its about and you like risks give it a go. Its young wine, but it looks and tastes like cloudy cider.... and its sold in 2 litre plastic bottles from roadside stalls.... and they don't put the top on the bottle until you buy it to stop it exploding. The thing about it is you have no idea how strong it is so it will either give you a light buzz of blow your head off, thats the fun of it.

As someone said Cesky Krumlov is worth a visit for a couple of nights. You can book a bus from Andel with the Student Bus agency (3 hour bus journey 400 kc return - about £15) which isn't actually a bus service for students (I avoided it for years on that basis before getting one - comfy seats, free tea and coffee, movies and good value beer).

Where are you staying? There are loads of great restaurants all over the city. Do you like your beers? Do you want music or theatre?

If you want sport avoid rocky o'reillys, the James Joyce and JJ Murphy's are far better sports bars, one each side of the river and away from the worst tourist areas so cheaper with better beer.

Oh my god, I had completely forgotten about Burčák.

I'm having flashbacks of a lost weekend in Znojmo :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:57 pm 

An old pal of mine owns a very successful bar on U obecního dvora 4 - Josefov...... The James Joyce, you cant miss it...... Good pint and good food.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:07 pm 

The Sun God wrote:
An old pal of mine owns a very successful bar on U obecního dvora 4 - Josefov...... The James Joyce, you cant miss it...... Good pint and good food.

It's moved?

Isn't that where Mollys is?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:24 pm 

zt1903 wrote:
The Sun God wrote:

It's moved?

It moved into Molly Malone's premises a few years back as he owned that also, renamed it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:24 pm 

The Sun God wrote:

It's an old Capetonian friend I haven't seen in nearly a year, he spent a few weeks in Dublin sleeping on my floor so I'm sure he'll appreciate an Irish bar! Cheers, will note it down.

Very excited to see Prague, as much for the history as anything. Did a loop of Budapest, Vienna and Bratislava last year so it'll be nice to add Prague.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:26 pm 

Bullettyme wrote:
The Sun God wrote:

It's an old Capetonian friend I haven't seen in nearly a year, he spent a few weeks in Dublin sleeping on my floor so I'm sure he'll appreciate an Irish bar! Cheers, will note it down.

Very excited to see Prague, as much for the history as anything. Did a loop of Budapest, Vienna and Bratislava last year so it'll be nice to add Prague.

Frank Haughton is the gaffers name.......I worked with him years ago in Dublin.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:33 pm 

The Sun God wrote:
zt1903 wrote:
The Sun God wrote:

It's moved?

It moved into Molly Malone's premises a few years back as he owned that also, renamed it.

I wasn't aware of that, haven't been back for a few years.

Molly's was always much nicer than the Joyce, which was a bit of a shit hole in its old premises.

Once met Vaclav Havel in Molly's. /globby

Edit: and Eddie the Eagle at the James Joyce.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:35 pm 

Take a train trip out to Kutna Hora and see the bone church. It's quite gothic and macabre but definitely worth the visit. There is also an Alchemy museum worth visiting. That town has stayed with me and it was cheap as hell compared to Prague.

Czech Pilsner is a world famous traditional style, due to its water profile and locally grown bohemian hops. You will find Staro, Urquell and Budvar almost everywhere but try and locate a restaurant that has it's own microbrewery to experience that original style.

Czechs like their pork, dumplings and sauerkraut. It's on every menu.

And Czech woman are stunningly beautiful.

Last edited by Gullible Travels on Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:39 pm 

Gullible Travels wrote:
Also the Czech woman are stunningly beautiful.

When they're younger :nod:

However, not many of them seem to age that well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:45 pm 

zt1903 wrote:
Gullible Travels wrote:

Funny that, Greeks are the same - I used to date a stunner of a Greek lass with cracking tits (no Rule 1 as I haven't any pics of her any more unfortunately) but after meeting her mum I :uhoh: and left for uni, never to see her again

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:51 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
zt1903 wrote:
Gullible Travels wrote:

Funny that, Greeks are the same - I used to date a stunner of a Greek lass with cracking tits (no Rule 1 as I haven't any pics of her any more unfortunately) but after meeting her mum I :uhoh: and left for uni, never to see her again

It has the most catwalk models per capita or sumfink. I remember backpacking that country for a week with a frustrating boner on.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:12 pm 

The Sun God wrote:

You know Frank or the New owners (Enda et al)?

Edit **Just saw it was Frank. He doesn't own it anymore.

Second Edit** So you're a banker eh?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:26 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
zt1903 wrote:
Gullible Travels wrote:

Mexicans. It's like a template for them or something.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:24 pm 

This is a general travel tip but it served me particularly well in Prague: Find restaurants that don't have English translations on the menu. Any restaurant that can survive in a tourist city without the tourist business is likely to produce authentic and delicious food at a good price. Czech is a very intimidating language but younger staff will speak English and older staff will speak German so it'll be easy enough to order and pay.

Obviously get out of the main squares and major streets and you'll find plenty of great food. I always just asked for "something traditional" ("Etwas traditionelles") or the waiter/waitress's favourite dish ("ihr Lieblingsgericht") and it worked well for me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:36 pm 

fraz wrote:
This is a general travel tip but it served me particularly well in Prague: Find restaurants that don't have English translations on the menu. Any restaurant that can survive in a tourist city without the tourist business is likely to produce authentic and delicious food at a good price. Czech is a very intimidating language but younger staff will speak English and older staff will speak German so it'll be easy enough to order and pay.

Obviously get out of the main squares and major streets and you'll find plenty of great food. I always just asked for "something traditional" ("Etwas traditionelles") or the waiter/waitress's favourite dish ("ihr Lieblingsgericht") and it worked well for me.

If you speak German you run more of a risk of being overcharged. It is much better to speak English in Prague.