A5D5E5

Re: IKEA

Post by A5D5E5 »

AD345 wrote:What's IKEA?
A Swedish masseuse in Manhattan.
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

Lisbon Nick wrote:Hate the place . Not suprised to read the article below.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-filt ... donts.html

The only good thing about my local branch is the licensed bar which I inevitably get sent by my wife and mother in law after manufacturing a row.
Good Lord - that is some crap piece of journalism (& of "research" come to think of it). A clearer example of clickbait it would be harder to find.
C69

Post by C69 »

Sefton wrote:So we're all agreed, Ikea is great value for money, C69 thinks a chippy counter is a period piece and Cammy has slight obsession issues.
Posh bastard.
My Idea of an antique and a period piece is found in the BHF shop off Lord Street
AD345

Post by AD345 »

A5D5E5 wrote:
AD345 wrote:What's IKEA?
A Swedish masseuse in Manhattan.
Seems very popular

Must be quite good
jolindien

Post by jolindien »

CM11 wrote:
jolindien wrote:I hate self-checkout, and ikea is all like this these days. I AM NOT PAID BY IKEA TO WORK WHEN I GIVE THEM AWAY MY f**k MONEY.

On a general note, i'll walk away of any self-checkout store.

So, bar the "restaurant" or food stuff at ikea, there's no way i go there unless i f**k f**k need something... and i'll spend 2h looking for a human checkout where i WILL NOT WORK FOR IKEA FOR FREE. But i'm sure there isn't anymore there.

f**k swedish.
Um, self checkout lowers expenditure and therefore lowers the cost of goods. In a save a penny make a penny way, you're not exactly working for free when you use one.
maybe that's in your country, cause here you pay the same and you work for free. Plus, and moreover, i want ppl to have a job, and i'd pay for that. In the end they are just increasing the margin. At least here (dunno for you).
CM11

Post by CM11 »

My point is that due to people using self checkout there's less salary costs and cheaper goods. Not that you get a discount for self checkout.
Torquemada 1420

Post by Torquemada 1420 »

In Britain, scousers have their own notion of what self checkout means.
jolindien

Post by jolindien »

CM11 wrote:My point is that due to people using self checkout there's less salary costs and cheaper goods. Not that you get a discount for self checkout.
I understood what you meant, but still, prices aren't decreasing at all.
But it's no problem, i'll pay if this doesn't increase the margin of the store. I want ppl to have a job. What will we do when unqualified ppl or students jobs will definitly be gone ? We have to keep these kind of jobs, else we go more and more into a vicious circle.
I will happily pay a bit more for human contact and to save jobs... but i don't like to be the fool. Hence my policy.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

jolindien wrote:
CM11 wrote:My point is that due to people using self checkout there's less salary costs and cheaper goods. Not that you get a discount for self checkout.
But it's no problem, i'll pay if this doesn't increase the margin of the store. I want ppl to have a job. What will we do when unqualified ppl or students jobs will definitly be gone ? We have to keep these kind of jobs, else we go more and more into a vicious circle.
I will happily pay a bit more for human contact and to save jobs... but i don't like to be the fool. Hence my policy.
Well, specifically for something like Ikea there really isn't a comparison so you have to assume self checkout is part of their pricing strategy.

I accept that you can get some goods at the same price regardless of whether the company uses self checkout or not but overall the savings are generally greater in the bigger shops that use self checkout. Also, I'm not sure if you're talking about places that are only self checkout? I haven't come across one here yet anyway. Including Ikea.

And I presume you're not talking about express self checkout which usually benefits the consumer?
Openside

Post by Openside »

Torquemada 1420 wrote:In Britain, scousers have their own notion of what self checkout means.
:lol: :lol:
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

I like Ikea.
Buying things there makes me feel content.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

jolindien wrote:I hate self-checkout, and ikea is all like this these days. I AM NOT PAID BY IKEA TO WORK WHEN I GIVE THEM AWAY MY f**k MONEY.

So, bar the "restaurant" or food stuff at ikea, there's no way i go there unless i f**k f**k need something... and i'll spend 2h looking for a human checkout where i WILL NOT WORK FOR IKEA FOR FREE. But i'm sure there isn't anymore there.

f**k swedish.
I'm the exact opposite of you, any chance I can get to not interact with some dippy shop worker I will take it.

As for Ikea in general, I love the place, but mainly just to go for breakfast.

Bacon, sausage, egg, tomato, the best hash browns ever, coffee and a cinnamon bun for $5 is awesome.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Pain in the hole. And, as some posters have touched on, the prices are going north alongside the everpresent popularity. Get a grip folks.
jolindien

Post by jolindien »

CM11 wrote:
jolindien wrote:
Well, specifically for something like Ikea there really isn't a comparison so you have to assume self checkout is part of their pricing strategy.

I accept that you can get some goods at the same price regardless of whether the company uses self checkout or not but overall the savings are generally greater in the bigger shops that use self checkout. Also, I'm not sure if you're talking about places that are only self checkout? I haven't come across one here yet anyway. Including Ikea.

And I presume you're not talking about express self checkout which usually benefits the consumer?
You're making me doubt now... so maye Ikea is mixing express checkout and self-checkout, and not only self-checkout, but what is express exactly for you compared to standard ? hmmm... i just know i hated their checkout last time and it wasn't because of the time to pass it. :?: :?: :?

Anyway, as i am not only a consumer (i mean, i am in "selling" shits also at some point as i have a job), i won't get in this reducing costs thing and all for consumers, because it's globalized, it's a circle and the less job you have in a country, the less well is the global economy in this market. I am a consumer, i am a seller, they are checkout employees but they also are consumers buying the shit i might sell at some point etc... Going down and down in terms of charges and jobs to reduce prices just means in the end nothing is working anymore and you'll get your arse kicked back too unless you're a grasshoper trying to find another field to rampage. A good balance between everthing is the point.

That's the point why i will always refuse to go to self-checkout, or even express (?). And stores having like 7/10 self/xpr VS 3/10 standard checkout, i'll simply walk away. And i always almost want to punch the guys/girls asking me to go to self when in the queue of the standard.... which i don't, but i refuse to change and wait for my turn. Seriously, do they think i wouln't go to their shity checkout if i wasn't ok to wait for the standard ? Truth is they simply want to convert you to this stuff step by step so that they can go full self. The change in the number of standard and self in this kind of store is more than explicit.
Last edited by jolindien on Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
jolindien

Post by jolindien »

UncleFB wrote:

f**k swedish.
I'm the exact opposite of you, any chance I can get to not interact with some dippy shop worker I will take it.

As for Ikea in general, I love the place, but mainly just to go for breakfast.

Bacon, sausage, egg, tomato, the best hash browns ever, coffee and a cinnamon bun for $5 is awesome.
Yeap, it's a personal choice, but they aren't all dippy for sure, there's also very nice ppl, like everywhere.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Express is the original 10 items or less concept although I'm not sure anyone enforces the item limit anymore. I have no idea why you'd prefer to stand in a queue for 15 mins behind a couple of people doing a weekly shop when you can be out of the shop in less than 5 doing it yourself.

I wouldn't necessarily like only self checkout but personally I find the mix to my benefit not detriment. If I only have a few items I find it a waste of time having to interact with someone else to get out of the shop.

I do get the jobs argument though but fully manned checkouts can be very inefficient unless the shop manages it properly.
Margin_Walker

Post by Margin_Walker »

CM11 wrote:Express is the original 10 items or less concept although I'm not sure anyone enforces the item limit anymore. I have no idea why you'd prefer to stand in a queue for 15 mins behind a couple of people doing a weekly shop when you can be out of the shop in less than 5 doing it yourself.

I wouldn't necessarily like only self checkout but personally I find the mix to my benefit not detriment. If I only have a few items I find it a waste of time having to interact with someone else to get out of the shop.

I do get the jobs argument though but fully manned checkouts can be very inefficient unless the shop manages it properly.
When you see how fast and efficient checkouts in Aldi are, you realise just how slow and inefficient everyone else is.

But yeah, more than happy to use whatever is faster generally.
The Man Without Fear

Post by The Man Without Fear »

I loathe self checkout. Only people who called their wage slave employees "colleagues" could dream up such an evil concept. A special place in Hell is reserved for them, a million self checkouts and one narcoleptic demon to assist with bagging and "Check if customer is over 18" queries.

IKEA stuff is OK, but it doesn't tend to survive house moves very well in my experience.
Tschussie

Post by Tschussie »

I don't mind using self-checkout but soon the extremely wealthy won't need the rest of us anymore.

Do you think they will continue to let us use up limited space and resources when they have machines that can do the work?
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

Tschussie wrote:I don't mind using self-checkout but soon the extremely wealthy won't need the rest of us anymore.

Do you think they will continue to let us use up limited space and resources when they have machines that can do the work?
You think the extremely wealthy use either ikea or self checkout?
backrow

Post by backrow »

globus wrote:Drove to Birmingham. A five hour round trip with associated accidents here and there.

Here's the object of desire. It's not great but it was cheap.

I thought you said you had never been to IKEA in your life ?
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

CM11 wrote:

f**k swedish.
Um, self checkout lowers expenditure and therefore lowers the cost of goods. In a save a penny make a penny way, you're not exactly working for free when you use one.
Couldn't get my change out of one in b&q and as i went to get the management I heard it drop into the tray.
Little urchins tried to grab it and their parents made them hand it back.
Proper Globbying there.
About MFI their stuff was a lot heavier than IKEA say if you bought a wardrobe.
Last edited by lorcanoworms on Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

backrow wrote:
globus wrote:Drove to Birmingham. A five hour round trip with associated accidents here and there.

Massive hard on for Globby this morning Yeeb...... That's three threads you have bumped !!
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

I went to Ikea years ago, I had it all planned like a special forces black ops hit. I knew exactly what I needed and what number aisle in the warehouse I had to head to etc so I could nip in via the exit doors avoiding all the walk through displays, grab the gear, pay and leave in the space of 15mins. It seemed to have been a perfect raid except for the fatal flaw that was the wife who was about as useful as Agent Goodnight. To her Ikea is 'an experience', she actually liked walking through 4000 yards of mock up bedrooms and living rooms with some bizarre need to physically touch everything.
armchairfan

Post by armchairfan »

I went to the one at Lakeside just before christmas on a thursday at 4:00pm... it was empty! :shock: only decent Ikea trip I've ever had.

Been loads and like their stuff just not the hell it is to buy it!, I had the worst day of my life when my (now ex) wife insisted we had a humongous TV cabinet and cupboards in the living room and we had to trawl every single IKEA in and around the M25 to actually get all the parts needed! There is nothing more soul destroying that getting to that warehouse in the bottom pit of hell to find the shelf empty of the one bit you need to complete your unit!

( and I hear that the meatballs are made out of people who have died either looking for the exit or in the checkout after :) ).
backrow

Post by backrow »

The Sun God wrote:
backrow wrote:

Massive hard on for Globby this morning Yeeb...... That's three threads you have bumped !!
Yeah I got bored after 3 thread bumps, presume there are others