It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:28 am 

MrJonno wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:
New guy wrote:

14 is old enough to know that bombing hundreds of people is bad. fudge him.

Maybe, but still a child.

It wouldn't be the first time the beeb got things wrong, but if he's 21 now and the bombing was in 2013, then I don't see how he could have been 19

Quote:
Born Dzhokhar Anzorovich Tsarnaev
July 22, 1993 (age 27)
Tokmok, Chuy Oblusu, Kyrgyzstan

The OP was in 2015

So the beeb has it wrong. Beeb also reporting that the death penalty has been overturned.

How did the beeb get it wrong? The article, written in May 2015, stated he was 21 so two years earlier he would have been 19. Five years later in May 2020 he would have been 26 but now his birthday has passed he is 27.

d'oh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:29 pm 

New guy wrote:
GWO2 wrote:
Really surprised at how many posters are against this sentence. Still I suppose it is easy to be so liberal if it was NOT one of your loved ones or friends or acquaintances that was blown to bits or maimed. My view is that if such a sentence puts off just one bomber and saves lives or the quality of lives of innocent people (especially My children and grand children and THEIR families) it is well worth it. (In fact I would put a slice of bacon in his mouth as he was executed if he harmed one of mine) Just saying. :|

You could flip this on its head though and say how would you feel if one of your family was in the wrong place at the wrong time and found themselves wrongly facing murder charges. If the punishment was life in prison it would be horrendous but hopefully overturned in time.

I've just googled it and in the last 50 years there were 173 people in the states wrongly put on death row. Some of the poor bastatds were already dead.

And I presume that's just the number of cases where new evidence surfaced that enabled them to overturn the convictions. How many more poor innocent bastards have been killed where no such evidence became available?

It would be easier to accept if it actually worked as a deterrent, but if that was the case then Texas would be the safest place on Earth!!!!!

For what its worth, I'm with New Guy on this - some people clearly deserve a good killing - but when our means of determining guilt is so deeply flawed it becomes completely immoral to do so.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:07 pm 

Kiwias wrote:
Premeditated murder is not acceptable, even when the state does it.

This. The world is f**ked up, people are f**ked up. Self-righteously adding to the mayhem just makes it that bit worse.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:00 pm 

Seems to me you're accusing the wrong side of self righteousness

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:51 am 

Mullet 2 wrote:
Seems to me you're accusing the wrong side of self righteousness

Seems to me you're an idiot.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:34 am 

Well I'm stung

Go back to morally wanking on about how evil killing a mass murderer is while accusing others of being self righteous :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:55 am 

:thumbup: Righto

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:44 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
He's 21, 60 years living off the tax payer at $150,000 a year.

Fúck him, a bullet's 1.50

Yeah but how much is the lethal injection?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:51 pm 

It's a shame we can't just execute the guys WE KNOW DEFINITELY DID IT, like this guy.

I know the law can't be selective like that but some cases are just cut and dry yet we're arguing against the death penalty due to all those wrongly convicted.

I think the pre meditated mass murder of innocent civilians is definitely a case where the death penalty is justified and appropriate.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:01 pm 

Stupid kid in thrall of his older brother. Was listening to a podcast with the Radiohead guitarist Ed O'Brien and he was making the point how immature we are well into out 20's which is entirely true. I was no more an adult at 19 than I was at 17. I started, now I mean started, maturing at about 25 and took another 10 years to reach any sort of acceptable level. Look if he had killed or maimed a family member of mine I would feel differently and I get that

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:04 pm 

booji boy wrote:
It's a shame we can't just execute the guys WE KNOW DEFINITELY DID IT, like this guy.

I know the law can't be selective like that but some cases are just cut and dry yet we're arguing against the death penalty due to all those wrongly convicted.

I think the pre meditated mass murder of innocent civilians is definitely a case where the death penalty is justified and appropriate.

I think if the state starts from the premise that there is never any justification for killing someone, except self defence in extremis, and reinforces that message to its citizens, then maybe there would be fewer murderers and school shootings to worry about.