Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:00 am 

Assuming things continue to go well (mockers, etc.) we should get rugby this year. Maybe with empty stadiums, but nonetheless. What do we think of the options?

- the NZ soup teams in a cut-down comp - don't like this, seen enough soup
- a full strength NPC comp would be awesome - really looking forward to that
- I'd love to see a North vs. South series in sort of test series format, maybe five games
- Bledisloe towards the end of the year?
- if the islands are free of COVID we might see some form of tour over there?

What do we think?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:05 am 

I'd say we're at least a couple of months away from any domestic comp, and international fixtures are a long way off.

A three match North vs South series would be farking amazing, and should be the first option once given the green light to go ahead as they would essentially be exhibition matches that give players a chance to build back into the season - or whatever season they eventually get.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:06 am 

If we've learner anything regarding sport in NZ it's to not count chickens. It always ends in disaster.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:11 am 

In saying that. Defcon 1 does allow mass gathering. Presumably with social distancing guidelines, if we're smart enough to get there we may see instances of stadiums selling out to allow for that distancing.

I don't think we're too far away from level 2 and there could be a unique opportunity there for NZ Rugby.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:30 am 

Absolutely hate the North V South idea. Would rather see a probable v possibles. Hopefully the Mitre 10 Cup is played with full squads and we get to see Beauden Barrett in the Amber and Black again.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:40 am 

For this year, it should be a full strength NPC with 3x North v South matches interspersed in between or at the end of the season. I'd love to see the NPC back to full strength.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:41 am 

Kahu wrote:
Absolutely hate the North V South idea. Would rather see a probable v possibles. Hopefully the Mitre 10 Cup is played with full squads and we get to see Beauden Barrett in the Amber and Black again.

I agree. It wouls be amazing seeing Southland with their All Blac... hang on...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:41 am 

Nth vs Sth If we keep this up, we will be rolling the clock back to amateur days. Like it

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:49 am 

mr bungle wrote:
Kahu wrote:

I agree. It wouls be amazing seeing Southland with their All Blac... hang on...

Maybe a draft could occur to help the Stags and other struggling unions out. Divide the number of ABs by the number of unions. Any Union with more than that number can put the extra numbers into a draft pool.

How does this North V South Work? By birthplace, club, union, franchise? Either way I hate it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:58 am 

Some overseas-based players must be back and available? Not many of them would be rushing back to France or England. That could add some interest as well.

I'd like to see a full-strength NPC comp with a three-match North / South series in the middle.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:38 am 

Full strength NPC would be awesome.

Bled later in the year.

Tests against the islands - even in the islands would be great, but would they have access to most of their players in Europe?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:54 am 

Don't know if you fellas been watching what's going on. Sam Whitelock and a crew of players including 7s and women etc have apparently been recruited to start chucking ideas around. From what he said the other night looks like local super teams may have a gallop, with either a north/south game or AB trial. Also every chance of Mitre 10 with ABs involved. What he did indicate (which is going to set the no rest for players brigade going) is the he thinks teams should have a bye every 3-4 weeks to prevent burn out etc . I love the idea of players having a big say in what happens, and I must admit I would be keen on M10 cup with everyone in, North/South I would enjoy but not the end of the world to me, though seems Whitelock and some players are real keen which means it must be good idea. Who knows maybe we could even have Bledisloe at end of year, but once again although I would enjoy it, is probably a little further down than the other options as playing the Wallabies as our only tests of year is not all that exciting to me.

In saying that I will watch anything they put on and love it!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:57 am 

TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:
Some overseas-based players must be back and available? Not many of them would be rushing back to France or England. That could add some interest as well.

I'd like to see a full-strength NPC comp with a three-match North / South series in the middle.

Apparently it not all that straight forward about overseas based players being involved, it can do with tax rates for countries, their overseas clubs letting them risk themselves in NZ comp and of course if you over there to pick up a test jersey you would have to restart you qualification period!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:59 am 

Dan54. wrote:
Don't know if you fellas been watching what's going on. Sam Whitelock and a crew of players including 7s and women etc have apparently been recruited to start chucking ideas around. From what he said the other night looks like local super teams may have a gallop, with either a north/south game or AB trial. Also every chance of Mitre 10 with ABs involved. What he did indicate (which is going to set the no rest for players brigade going) is the he thinks teams should have a bye every 3-4 weeks to prevent burn out etc . I love the idea of players having a big say in what happens, and I must admit I would be keen on M10 cup with everyone in, North/South I would enjoy but not the end of the world to me, though seems Whitelock and some players are real keen which means it must be good idea. Who knows maybe we could even have Bledisloe at end of year, but once again although I would enjoy it, is probably a little further down than the other options as playing the Wallabies as our only tests of year is not all that exciting to me.

In saying that I will watch anything they put on and love it!!!

Thanks for that. Personally not bothered by the soup option but agreed it's great that the players are leading the thinking. Also like the idea of more regular byes. Maybe even be good that the men are stood down for a week every 4 weeks and the women's game gets the limelight.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:46 am 

Maybe even be good that the men are stood down for a week every 4 weeks and the women's game gets the limelight.

great idea. I used to watch a bit of WNPC back in NZ. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:51 am 

I hate the idea of super rugby sides playing each other. Seen it before and was bored of it even before this year. This is a chance to try something different(or at least stuff that hasn't been done in years) North vs South and NPC with All Blacks sounds good to me. If it was just super sides playing each other I'm not even sure I'd watch.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:33 am 

I'd certainly be up for full on NPC and North v South. I've fallen off Soup watching this year on the box. I'd go to a bunch of live games for an AB NPC for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:10 am 

naki wrote:
I'd say we're at least a couple of months away from any domestic comp, and international fixtures are a long way off.

A three match North vs South series would be farking amazing, and should be the first option once given the green light to go ahead as they would essentially be exhibition matches that give players a chance to build back into the season - or whatever season they eventually get.

I do wonder if a tour by Wales, who were meant to come south in July, couldn't be arranged towards the end of the year. Just put the Welsh team up in a hotel with a pitch and quarantine them for 14 days...then play some Soup teams leading into international games.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:22 am 

Flockwitt wrote:
I'd certainly be up for full on NPC and North v South. I've fallen off Soup watching this year on the box. I'd go to a bunch of live games for an AB NPC for sure.

That would be fine and well if we were starting from scratch. But we aren't. SR franchises have players, coaches, assistant coaches, office staff and development officers to pay. They have facilities to maintain and ground staff to pay.

Do Warren Gatland, Scott Robertson, Leon Macdonald and all their support staff not get paid this year because you have "fallen off" Super Rugby? Do all NZ's Super Rugby contracted players forgo 100% of their salaries? Because our top player earn roughly five times as much playing SR as they do provincial Rugby. Sure, it may well be that NZR runs out of time to do anything more in the Super Rugby space for 2020, but I certainly wouldn't be just giving up on all those organisations without a hell of a fight. Look how hard the NRL is fighting to try and keep its club alive, I'd hope NZR would do something similar. Sky Rugby won't pay a cent more for its current Mitre 10 Cup rights, regardless of which players are on the paddock, and why would they? Your comment is like an AFL fan saying they'd like to see stronger VFL, SAFL and WAFL Leagues for the rest of 2020 because they'd "fallen off" the AFL. It just doesn't work like that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:49 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
Flockwitt wrote:

That would be fine and well if we were starting from scratch. But we aren't. SR franchises have players, coaches, assistant coaches, office staff and development officers to pay. They have facilities to maintain and ground staff to pay.

Do Warren Gatland, Scott Robertson, Leon Macdonald and all their support staff not get paid this year because you have "fallen off" Super Rugby? Do all NZ's Super Rugby contracted players forgo 100% of their salaries? Because our top player earn roughly five times as much playing SR as they do provincial Rugby. Sure, it may well be that NZR runs out of time to do anything more in the Super Rugby space for 2020, but I certainly wouldn't be just giving up on all those organisations without a hell of a fight. Look how hard the NRL is fighting to try and keep its club alive, I'd hope NZR would do something similar. Sky Rugby won't pay a cent more for its current Mitre 10 Cup rights, regardless of which players are on the paddock, and why would they? Your comment is like an AFL fan saying they'd like to see stronger VFL, SAFL and WAFL Leagues for the rest of 2020 because they'd "fallen off" the AFL. It just doesn't work like that.

Super Rugby has an existential crisis on its hands. Will be maybe - maybe - 2022 before teams are travelling to or from South Africa and Argentina to NZ and AU. On top of that I suspect that the view on this thread is roughly representative - people have had enough of the same old same old and want something different. Personally I want more proper tours but I'll be waiting a while for that...

If they do do SR then NPC it'll be very interesting to see relative viewing numbers. My money would be on SR being well behind N/S and NPC.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:41 am 

Super Rugby has an existential crisis on its hands. Will be maybe - maybe - 2022 before teams are travelling to or from South Africa and Argentina to NZ and AU. On top of that I suspect that the view on this thread is roughly representative - people have had enough of the same old same old and want something different. Personally I want more proper tours but I'll be waiting a while for that...

If they do do SR then NPC it'll be very interesting to see relative viewing numbers. My money would be on SR being well behind N/S and NPC.

Since the late 1990's SR has attracted more NZ TV viewers than provincial rugby. But it was never just about NZ viewers, it was about the total viewers across SANZAAR. That's why the SR TV deal is many times more lucrative than the Mitre 10 deal.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:53 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
Flockwitt wrote:

Is there possibility we start both sides of the tasman with local derbies for a few weeks then have trans tasman rounds?

It could help bring games to tv for multiple markets but then what are they playing for? The Ardern/Morrison cup?

Just spit balling ideas as you make good point about getting these franchises and governing bodies some cash.

First issues (apart from the name of the trophy)would be the uncertainty though, do they start a comp when the second half could be completely stuffed by changes in covid rates and govt responses to it in each country.

After this we go to bledisloe with the npc unlikely to have any test players