American Cops behaving Badly (All inclusive thread)

All things Rugby
guy smiley

Re: American Cops behaving Badly (All inclusive thread)

Post by guy smiley »

Catman wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Catman wrote:
I am genuinely interested to see what happens when a city disband's its police force. Definite NIMBY feelings tho.. :uhoh: .
The Purge until the new force is in place? :lol:
They will have a police force. i have a feeling the main objective is to get rid of that white supremacist led police union
Any evidence for that? The chief of police in Minni is black
:roll: :roll:

Sure. Of course a city would move to having no police force at all. Of course they would.
Catman

Post by Catman »

Mullet 2 wrote:
shereblue wrote:Let me just say that seeing the statue of the vile Colston dumped into the Avon was sweet.

The slave trade saw some 12m. black Africans shipped to the Caribbean and the USA, nearly 2m. of whom died during transportation.

Bristol's passivity and inaction in permitting such a symbol to enjoy prominence and prestige for so long is clearly mental and causative. Enough was enough.
Washington and Jefferson statues next?
I kinda like the whole statue toppling thing. Makes it feel much more exciting. Like living in Iraq. With better roads.

They need to basically pull down every single white male statue across the western world as they were all inherently racist on some level I'm sure. You don't conquer and colonise the world without having some sort of superiority complex.

All vestiges of this racist past should be erased from public view and be replaced with some sort of intersectionalist art that gets changed weekly.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Or a farmers market

We need more of those
I like haggis

Post by I like haggis »

Washington and Jefferson are memorable for reasons other than having slaves. The statue of the guy pulled down in Bristol was a noted philanthropist and that's why he deserved it. Call me too liberal but selling hundreds of thousands of people into slavery doesn't seem a very philanthropic act to me.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

shereblue wrote:Let me just say that seeing the statue of the vile Colston dumped into the Avon was sweet.

The slave trade saw some 12m. black Africans shipped to the Caribbean and the USA, nearly 2m. of whom died during transportation.

Bristol's passivity and inaction in permitting such a symbol to enjoy prominence and prestige for so long is clearly mental and causative. Enough was enough.
Whilst I do think that the statue should have been removed a few years ago and also should never have been erected in the first place (knowing the history of that statue). I dont think that airbrushing people out of history is in any way a positive thing. I would also ask what precisely it achieves.

Colston clearly benefitted from the slave trade but how many of those protesters could actually have explained his role in the trade? Without education and learning it was an empty act born out of a desire to do damage, those same white middle class individuals will no doubt be at the Colston hall post lockdown for concerts and shows without a murmur. Having lived in Bristol for many years it us a place that acknowledges and struggles with how to deal with its role in the past but it certainly doesnt celebrate it and has become one of the most diverse places to live in the UK without too many issues over racism.

It is unknown how much money Colston made from slavery and he made a lot of money from other things. He built a lot of hospitals and schools and did a lot of good with it. There are important lessons to be learnt there if people are willing to learn it.

Slavery was and and still is a worldwide problem effected by people of every creed. Efforts would be better spent on helping people in slavery today rather than chucking a statue of someone who has been dead for 200 years in a river which achieves precisely nothing to help anyone.
Catman

Post by Catman »

I like haggis wrote:Washington and Jefferson are memorable for reasons other than having slaves. The statue of the guy pulled down in Bristol was a noted philanthropist and that's why he deserved it. Call me too liberal but selling hundreds of thousands of people into slavery doesn't seem a very philanthropic act to me.
Nelson next ? He was a nasty piece of work by all accounts. :thumbdown:
Lobby

Post by Lobby »

Catman wrote:
I like haggis wrote:Washington and Jefferson are memorable for reasons other than having slaves. The statue of the guy pulled down in Bristol was a noted philanthropist and that's why he deserved it. Call me too liberal but selling hundreds of thousands of people into slavery doesn't seem a very philanthropic act to me.
Don't forget Gandhi, he was a racist as well, so he'll have to be expunged from history now as well.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Lobby wrote:
Catman wrote:
Don't forget Gandhi, he was a racist as well, so he'll have to be expunged from history now as well.
Should we then tear down the pyramids or the Colosseum, destroy any Roman remains in the UK. Most people would not support these things being destroyed yet they were built off the back of slave labour
Margin_Walker

Post by Margin_Walker »

Personally I'm fine to draw a distinction between historically significant sites/figures and a Victorian statue in honour of an 18th century slave trader. Colston wasn't a Ghandi, Jefferson, Washington, Churchill etc. He was someone whose accomplishment was becoming very rich from buying and selling slaves.

Not a huge fan of it being pulled down by a mob and chucked in the river, but not something I'll lose sleep over.
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

Its like the world is being run by The Guardian’s editorial staff at present.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Floppykid wrote:Are people in the UK just bored of Corona?

Give it a couple of weeks and I think Rona will perk up the interest again.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Anyway, now that the Police have gone back into their precincts in USA, have the riots and police brutality actions all stopped. Seems to be very quiet.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

I really can't see much difference
I like haggis

Post by I like haggis »

Catman wrote:
He had achievements other than running a slave trading business did he not?

He didn't get a statue for being a philanthropist. He got a statue because he won a war. But you're right - we should learn he used his position in the House of Lords to frustrate the abolitionist movement and allow his mates in the Caribbean to keep their slaves.

How about the statue of Jimmy Saville - why was that torn down?
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Margin_Walker wrote:Personally I'm fine to draw a distinction between historically significant sites/figures and a Victorian statue in honour of an 18th century slave trader. Colston wasn't a Ghandi, Jefferson, Washington, Churchill etc. He was someone whose accomplishment was becoming very rich from buying and selling slaves.

Not a huge fan of it being pulled down by a mob and chucked in the river, but not something I'll lose sleep over.
What did Washington do that was better than building hospitals etc?
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

I like haggis wrote:
Catman wrote:

He didn't get a statue for being a philanthropist. He got a statue because he won a war. But you're right - we should learn he used his position in the House of Lords to frustrate the abolitionist movement and allow his mates in the Caribbean to keep their slaves.

Colston also had other achievements, all these people yelling about rights and wrongs without doing even a cursory amount of research on the subject
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

jamesfreeman wrote:
xbgo1 wrote: It's not about Churchill, it's what he represents to the working class. Many of those working class are the children of men who fought in the war, you attack Churchill and you attack them.
Churchill is like a George Washington figure for modern Britain, not quite god like (eg Roman emperor stuff) but almost saint level so attacking statues of him wont win supporters...
This, it would be the the BLM movement in America trying to win over support by vandalising statutes of Washington and Lincoln and then attempting to vandalise the tomb of the unknown warrior (the British equivalent being the cenotaph).

I would suggest not the best way to get middle America on your side
New guy

Post by New guy »

I like haggis wrote:
Catman wrote:

Just looked up the Saville statue, absolutely terrifying :lol: x( . I kind of hope it still exists in some museum somewhere.

I dont think it's an entirely fair comparison though. Saville isn't an historical figure, just a creepy entertainer who will fade into obscurity in a generation or two.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Thread Eurotrashed
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Such a strawman.

These statues were erected of their time knowing the legacy of these men.

Nobody knew Saville was a fúcking nonce. This is the reason Dublin and many other cities have a 30 year rule post death of statues.

That is now being used as a stick "they were put up later so it's not history" nonsense. It's just Victorian history rather than Georgian.
I like haggis

Post by I like haggis »

blindcider wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Catman wrote:

Colston also had other achievements, all these people yelling about rights and wrongs without doing even a cursory amount of research on the subject
Achievements he paid for solely with his slave money. The statue describes him as a philanthropist. How can you be both a very rich slaver and a philanthropist? Black lives matter is about equal treatment and if people enslave slave hundreds of thousands of black people with tens of thousands of those dying on those ships but it's okay to be revered and celebrated (which is what statues do) because he helped white people in Bristol? What message does that send? Not one about equality that's for sure.

Statues are about celebration not history. Nelson's column isn't a history lesson, it's celebrating his achievements as an Admiral. Achievements which were helped by slaves in the British army and there is a black sailor on the column.

The UK shouldn't have statues to slavers anywhere but museums which explain what they did. Built a school by selling people into suffer on a plantation if they even made it.
Pole

Post by Pole »

I like haggis wrote:
blindcider wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Catman wrote:

Achievements he paid for solely with his slave money. The statue describes him as a philanthropist. How can you be both a very rich slaver and a philanthropist? Black lives matter is about equal treatment and if people enslave slave hundreds of thousands of black people with tens of thousands of those dying on those ships but it's okay to be revered and celebrated (which is what statues do) because he helped white people in Bristol? What message does that send? Not one about equality that's for sure.

Statues are about celebration not history. Nelson's column isn't a history lesson, it's celebrating his achievements as an Admiral. Achievements which were helped by slaves in the British army and there is a black sailor on the column.

The UK shouldn't have statues to slavers anywhere but museums which explain what they did. Built a school by selling people into suffer on a plantation if they even made it.
And what did he do with money he made from trading Gold, Silver and Ivory?
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

I thought he had a number of businesses? How do you know the money "solely" came from Salvery?

Or are you just saying that because it's more emotive?
Lemoentjie

Post by Lemoentjie »

sockwithaticket wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:Apropos of nothing, Southport is a lovely place to live.

More on topic, have no issue at all with Colston's statue being torn down. History of Bristol or not, a statue like that doesn't have a place in a modern city imo.
There've been petitions to get it removed for ages iirc. If something like that can't get taken down by using the conventional channels I'm not going to be upset if that goal's achieved by other means.
And so democracy falls...

Does it not concern people in the UK and US that it now seems acceptable to destroy a statue just because you disagree with what that person has done? Many centuries ago?
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

I like haggis wrote:

Walk me through what the great famine statues here are celebrating?
I like haggis

Post by I like haggis »

Mullet 2 wrote:
I like haggis wrote:

Walk me through what the great famine statues here are celebrating?
Yes fair enough that's about rememberance.

If the Colston statue was about rememberence he wouldn't be on it.

Edit- Unless you're suggesting the English landlords should have their statues in Ireland. History, innit.
Last edited by I like haggis on Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
I like haggis

Post by I like haggis »

Mullet 2 wrote:I thought he had a number of businesses? How do you know the money "solely" came from Salvery?

If you want to find evidence of these businesses post a link. Until then I'll go with every newspaper in the country going with him making his money from slavery.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

It seems Minneapolis really is planning on scrapping their police https://www.google.ie/amp/s/time.com/58 ... 3famp=true
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Seems pretty clear from a quick read the guy traded in everything.

Judging historical figures by modern standards and not the standards of their time is a mugs game if you ask me and would see nearly every statue in the UK torn down.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Most of Dublin's place names still have the name of the English Landlords that built them.

We still have many statues to our Anglo Irish past and you'd be hard pressed to find older Dubs who don't miss Nelson's Pillar.

If these statues were to need to be moved to a park to put in one of De Valera or Dan Breen then I'm OK with that, not with pulling them down and throwing them in a river.
I like haggis

Post by I like haggis »

Mullet 2 wrote:Most of Dublin's place names still have the name of the English Landlords that built them.

We still have many statues to our Anglo Irish past and you'd be hard pressed to find older Dubs who don't miss Nelson's Pillar.

If these statues were to need to be moved to a park to put in one of De Valera or Dan Breen then I'm OK with that, not with pulling them down and throwing them in a river.
And when Colston is recovered from the harbour and in a museum I think that's a good result.
wilber

Post by wilber »

blindcider wrote:

Whilst I do think that the statue should have been removed a few years ago and also should never have been erected in the first place (knowing the history of that statue). I dont think that airbrushing people out of history is in any way a positive thing. I would also ask what precisely it achieves.

Colston clearly benefitted from the slave trade but how many of those protesters could actually havI e explained his role in the trade? Without education and learning it was an empty act born out of a desire to do damage, those same white middle class individuals will no doubt be at the Colston hall post lockdown for concerts and shows without a murmur. Having lived in Bristol for many years it us a place that acknowledges and struggles with how to deal with its role in the past but it certainly doesnt celebrate it and has become one of the most diverse places to live in the UK without too many issues over racism.

It is unknown how much money Colston made from slavery and he made a lot of money from other things. He built a lot of hospitals and schools and did a lot of good with it. There are important lessons to be learnt there if people are willing to learn it.

Slavery was and and still is a worldwide problem effected by people of every creed. Efforts would be better spent on helping people in slavery today rather than chucking a statue of someone who has been dead for 200 years in a river which achieves precisely nothing to help anyone.
Colston Hall will be renamed when it reopens. It is named after the road it stands on not the man. Colston School was renamed Colston Gardens. Bristol is doing quite well on some things. Shame that the statue wasn’t removed years ago. Many in Bristol this morning want the statue dragged out and put in the museum in its current condition to mark a moment of history.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Catman wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Catman wrote:
I am genuinely interested to see what happens when a city disband's its police force. Definite NIMBY feelings tho.. :uhoh: .
The Purge until the new force is in place? :lol:
They will have a police force. i have a feeling the main objective is to get rid of that white supremacist led police union
Any evidence for that? The chief of police in Minni is black
Give the top job o a black man and magically everything is going to change ?
Don't forget he had to sue the police department himself for racial discrimination
After George Floyd's death, Minneapolis police chief is caught in force's racial legacy

Medaria Arradondo now finds himself in a harsh national spotlight, the face of a mostly white department that killed another black man.

The hearse carrying George Floyd pulled up to North Central University, Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo tucked his cap into the crook of his arm and dropped to one knee. It was a symbolic gesture of solidarity with a growing movement against police brutality, popularized by former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

Arradondo has been a visible and vocal presence in the tumult that has engulfed the city and nation since Floyd, a black man, died under the knee of a white Minneapolis police officer on Memorial Day. He condemned and fired the four officers involved. He visited the location where Floyd was killed. He spoke directly to Floyd’s family members on national television. He pledged to cooperate with the state’s probe into his department’s practices and make “substantive policy changes.”

In an interview, Arradondo called Floyd’s death “absolutely pivotal” in the city’s history.

“This moment in time is writing its own chapter in the history of our city,” he said. “The best that I can hope for is that everything that has occurred to this point, all of the work that all of us were trying to do to move forward, it’s not done in vain.”

But the city’s first black police chief now finds himself in a harsh national spotlight, the face of a mostly white department that killed another black man. Last week, the Minnesota Department of Human Rights launched an investigation, and some elected officials are pushing to disband the police department altogether.

Arradondo’s defenders credit his willingness to speak out about the pains of racial trauma and the need for police reform. They say it’s unrealistic to think that he would be able to overturn more than a century of institutionalized racism in just three years on the job.

https://www.startribune.com/floyd-s-dea ... 571076782/
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

If this statue as a monument to more than a decade of illegal, offside play goes up, I'll be flying down there to tear it to the ground myself!

Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

I like haggis wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:Most of Dublin's place names still have the name of the English Landlords that built them.

And when Colston is recovered from the harbour and in a museum I think that's a good result.

I don't believe rewarding vandalism and thuggery should ever be considered. If these people wanted it gone they should file a motion and get it passed, if they won't pass it they should elect councillors who will. If they can't get enough councillors than it isn't as popular as they think.

It should be re-erected for that reason alone.
Pole

Post by Pole »

I like haggis wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:I thought he had a number of businesses? How do you know the money "solely" came from Salvery?

If you want to find evidence of these businesses post a link. Until then I'll go with every newspaper in the country going with him making his money from slavery.
So you just lap up what you are told..

http://www.understandingslavery.com/ind ... id=88.html

http://www.bris.ac.uk/Depts/History/bri ... bha096.pdf
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Gavin Duffy wrote:It seems Minneapolis really is planning on scrapping their police https://www.google.ie/amp/s/time.com/58 ... 3famp=true
I mentioned that earlier...

but statues.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Mullet 2 wrote:Seems pretty clear from a quick read the guy traded in everything.

Judging historical figures by modern standards and not the standards of their time is a mugs game if you ask me and would see nearly every statue in the UK torn down.
I partly agree. However n this case, the Bristol statue wasn't erected in his time. Public statues should be erected with some consideration. That 30 year rule Dublin has about statues sounds like a sensible policy for example.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Margin_Walker wrote:Personally I'm fine to draw a distinction between historically significant sites/figures and a Victorian statue in honour of an 18th century slave trader. Colston wasn't a Ghandi, Jefferson, Washington, Churchill etc. He was someone whose accomplishment was becoming very rich from buying and selling slaves.

I think it's a shame this guy is still celebrated in Bristol and i get why demonstrators would pull the statue down bu if the people want it put back up it should be. Just doesn't show Bristol in a good light for me.
Lemoentjie

Post by Lemoentjie »

Catman wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

Washington and Jefferson statues next?
I kinda like the whole statue toppling thing. Makes it feel much more exciting. Like living in Iraq. With better roads.

They need to basically pull down every single white male statue across the western world as they were all inherently racist on some level I'm sure. You don't conquer and colonise the world without having some sort of superiority complex.

All vestiges of this racist past should be erased from public view and be replaced with some sort of intersectionalist art that gets changed weekly.
Any statue erected before 2000 is probably of a trans-exclusionary zealot. Let's be safe and remove all of them. Let's wipe the slate clean and just start now.