American Cops behaving Badly (All inclusive thread)

All things Rugby
mdaclarke

Re: American Cops behaving Badly (All inclusive thread)

Post by mdaclarke »

eldanielfire wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:Seems pretty clear from a quick read the guy traded in everything.

Judging historical figures by modern standards and not the standards of their time is a mugs game if you ask me and would see nearly every statue in the UK torn down.
I partly agree. However n this case, the Bristol statue wasn't erected in his time. Public statues should be erected with some consideration. That 30 year rule Dublin has about statues sounds like a sensible policy for example.
Agreed, although Colston died in 1721 and the statute was erected in 1895 over 100 years after he died and after slavery had been abolished
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

Didn't Liverpool consider renaming all the streets that had slavery connections, but then didn't because one of the said streets was called Penny Lane?
Lemoentjie

Post by Lemoentjie »

I hope there is a Lord Kitchener statue for me to go and topple next time I'm in London. The possibility of its existence just outrages me.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

Lemoentjie wrote:I hope there is a Lord Kitchener statue for me to go and topple next time I'm in London. The possibility of its existence just outrages me.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue_of ... er,_London

Knock yourself out!
Lemoentjie

Post by Lemoentjie »

mdaclarke wrote:
Lemoentjie wrote:I hope there is a Lord Kitchener statue for me to go and topple next time I'm in London. The possibility of its existence just outrages me.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue_of ... er,_London

Knock yourself out!
Pole

Post by Pole »

I like haggis wrote:
Pole wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:I thought he had a number of businesses? How do you know the money "solely" came from Salvery?

Or are you just saying that because it's more emotive?
If you want to find evidence of these businesses post a link. Until then I'll go with every newspaper in the country going with him making his money from slavery.
So you just lap up what you are told..

http://www.understandingslavery.com/ind ... id=88.html

http://www.bris.ac.uk/Depts/History/bri ... bha096.pdf
Oh sorry! I'm so wrong here! Bristol keep the statues! The thousands of deaths and tens of thousands of slaves doesn't matter and is a minor detail! He sold wine and cloth too!! What a hero!

If you want celebratory statues of slave owners up you might what to question some things.
At what point did I advocate slavery? All I pointed out was that this guy made money through other means too..
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

blindcider wrote:
shereblue wrote:Let me just say that seeing the statue of the vile Colston dumped into the Avon was sweet.

The slave trade saw some 12m. black Africans shipped to the Caribbean and the USA, nearly 2m. of whom died during transportation.

Bristol's passivity and inaction in permitting such a symbol to enjoy prominence and prestige for so long is clearly mental and causative. Enough was enough.
Whilst I do think that the statue should have been removed a few years ago and also should never have been erected in the first place (knowing the history of that statue). I dont think that airbrushing people out of history is in any way a positive thing. I would also ask what precisely it achieves.

Colston clearly benefitted from the slave trade but how many of those protesters could actually have explained his role in the trade? Without education and learning it was an empty act born out of a desire to do damage, those same white middle class individuals will no doubt be at the Colston hall post lockdown for concerts and shows without a murmur. Having lived in Bristol for many years it us a place that acknowledges and struggles with how to deal with its role in the past but it certainly doesnt celebrate it and has become one of the most diverse places to live in the UK without too many issues over racism.

It is unknown how much money Colston made from slavery and he made a lot of money from other things. He built a lot of hospitals and schools and did a lot of good with it. There are important lessons to be learnt there if people are willing to learn it.

Slavery was and and still is a worldwide problem effected by people of every creed. Efforts would be better spent on helping people in slavery today rather than chucking a statue of someone who has been dead for 200 years in a river which achieves precisely nothing to help anyone.
I'm sure there were some white, middle class twats involved. Perhaps I am one such? Even if too comfortably set in his ways to get involved in that sort of behaviour.

My post came of an empathy with the offence and hurt even that Colston's statue's continued presence would have caused me had I been a black Bristolean. It would merely have embarrassed me if white. I am genuinely aghast that it could still be there in 2020. The Colston Hall is finally due to be re-named when re-opened, I understand?

You'll know a million times more about the City's struggles with its history. I appreciate your perspective but I am wondering whether you may be a little too closely connected?

A statue may tell us a good deal about a City's history but in a prominent, public position it is also an honour. It's continued display symbolised something about present-day Bristol that many residents found offensive and shaming. I would hope it will be cathartic to the development of Bristol's identity that a video of yesterday's toppling may one day appear in a museum alongside the reclaimed statue itself. History recorded with honesty and new pride.

[PS my perspective, as a Swindon Town fan, is doubtless awry - your southern football team is casually referred to as "the Slavetraders" :thumbup: ]
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

I'd be far happier to see a monument to the African slave trade go up beside his statue frankly.

Sure he did this but he also did this. Type of thing.
I like haggis

Post by I like haggis »

Pole wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Pole wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:I thought he had a number of businesses? How do you know the money "solely" came from Salvery?

If you want to find evidence of these businesses post a link. Until then I'll go with every newspaper in the country going with him making his money from slavery.

Oh sorry! I'm so wrong here! Bristol keep the statues! The thousands of deaths and tens of thousands of slaves doesn't matter and is a minor detail! He sold wine and cloth too!! What a hero!

If you want celebratory statues of slave owners up you might what to question some things.
At what point did I advocate slavery? All I pointed out was that this guy made money through other means too..
I didn't say you did. Are you comfortable about having statues in city centres celebrating how virtuous (the description on the statue) a slave trader who also traded some wine and cloth is?

That's really the question here. Can slavers who killed thousands but also sent some tasty drips be virtuous? Can someone who took slaves from Africa to the US and the Caribbean be philanthropists because they helped build some schools? My answer is no. What's yours?
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

Has anyone done the Saddam Hussein statue whataboutery yet. If not I'm doing that.
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

I like haggis wrote:
Pole wrote:
I like haggis wrote:

Why the hell is there no Jimmy Saville Spinal Injuries Unit. Paedo or not he raised some 45 million for charity. :x
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

shereblue wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Pole wrote:
I like haggis wrote:

Why the hell is there no Jimmy Saville Spinal Injuries Unit. Paedo or not he raised some 45 million for charity. :x
That Lostprophets dude did loads to put the little town of Pontypridd on the map and the woke fucks removed his paving slabs because of a bit of bother with the law.
Pole

Post by Pole »

I like haggis wrote:
I didn't say you did. Are you comfortable about having statues in city centres celebrating how virtuous (the description on the statue) a slave trader who also traded some wine and cloth is?

That's really the question here. Can slavers who killed thousands but also sent some tasty drips be virtuous? Can someone who took slaves from Africa to the US and the Caribbean be philanthropists because they helped build some schools? My answer is no. What's yours?
This is what I addressed and no need to try to twist the point as its obvious I do not support slavery or those that take part in it
I like haggis wrote:If you want to find evidence of these businesses post a link. Until then I'll go with every newspaper in the country going with him making his money from slavery.
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

blindcider wrote:
shereblue wrote:Let me just say that seeing the statue of the vile Colston dumped into the Avon was sweet.

The slave trade saw some 12m. black Africans shipped to the Caribbean and the USA, nearly 2m. of whom died during transportation.

Bristol's passivity and inaction in permitting such a symbol to enjoy prominence and prestige for so long is clearly mental and causative. Enough was enough.
Whilst I do think that the statue should have been removed a few years ago and also should never have been erected in the first place (knowing the history of that statue). I dont think that airbrushing people out of history is in any way a positive thing. I would also ask what precisely it achieves.

Colston clearly benefitted from the slave trade but how many of those protesters could actually have explained his role in the trade? Without education and learning it was an empty act born out of a desire to do damage, those same white middle class individuals will no doubt be at the Colston hall post lockdown for concerts and shows without a murmur. Having lived in Bristol for many years it us a place that acknowledges and struggles with how to deal with its role in the past but it certainly doesnt celebrate it and has become one of the most diverse places to live in the UK without too many issues over racism.

It is unknown how much money Colston made from slavery and he made a lot of money from other things. He built a lot of hospitals and schools and did a lot of good with it. There are important lessons to be learnt there if people are willing to learn it.

Slavery was and and still is a worldwide problem effected by people of every creed. Efforts would be better spent on helping people in slavery today rather than chucking a statue of someone who has been dead for 200 years in a river which achieves precisely nothing to help anyone.
The landlord of the Black Boy Inn on Whiteladies Road must be getting a bit twitchy.
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

danny_fitz wrote:
blindcider wrote:

The landlord of the Black Boy Inn on Whiteladies Road must be getting a bit twitchy.
:)
I have a really good friend, who was a doppelganger for Heather Small of M People fame, who once lived in a lovely home named "White ladies".
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

shereblue wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
blindcider wrote:

:)
I have a really good friend, who was a doppelganger for Heather Small of M People fame, who once lived in a lovely home named "White ladies".
Somewhat random anecdote :thumbup:

The whole rename Colston Hall and Whiteladies road debate has been knocking around since I was at uni in Bristol 20 odd years ago. The latter street name was named after a pub that existed back in the 1700s I think and had no connection to the slave trade.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

AND-y wrote:Has anyone done the Saddam Hussein statue whataboutery yet. If not I'm doing that.
Give it a crack. It could get you three of four pages if you cast on the right angle.
AnkleTap

Post by AnkleTap »

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

danny_fitz wrote: The landlord of the Black Boy Inn on Whiteladies Road must be getting a bit twitchy.
Isn't Whiteladies Road named after a flower (a variety of crocus)? :?

New guy

Post by New guy »

AND-y wrote:Has anyone done the Saddam Hussein statue whataboutery yet. If not I'm doing that.
Someone tried a few pages back but it didnt gain much traction. Dont think his heart was really in it.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Toppling statues is no more than virtue signalling about history. It can't change history but it does enable some people to pretend that their society is different from that of the past without accepting that it is what happened in the past that gives them, or forbids them from toppling statues in the first place.

Slavery is inexorably linked to Bristol (and Britain) because the money that funded the trade, the ships that carried the cargos, the sailors that manned the ships, and the profit that built the new Restoration/Georgian city centres came from there.

The profits from the so called 'triangular trade', gewgaws/cloth to Africa, exchanged for slaves to West Indies/America, exchanged for sugar/tobacco back to UK, with a profit made on each transaction created a new breed of multi millionaires whose money came from trade and not from owning counties. These people invested their surplus money(and by God they had enormous amounts of surplus cash for the time) in further speculative ventures, whether property, 'triangular trading', 'east India' trading or indeed in nascent industrialisation. It was, in many cases, West Indies cash that financed the Industrial Revolution, and the reason it happened in the UK first was simply it was the first western country to generate the cash outside of taxation (ie government), to enable the large sums required for industrialisation to be raised on a speculative basis from non government sources. It was the cash generated by trade, firstly West Indian, and later East Indian, that persuaded the UK parliament to invest such huge amounts in its navy, to ensure these trade cash cows were protected; and once this navy was established, to push for for trade routes globally, creating an almost accidental 'empire' on the way.

You can topple statues of Colston, change street names (which we Irish were particularly fond of), but that doesn't change the fact that history is what made modern British society.
ScarfaceClaw

Post by ScarfaceClaw »

Sandstorm wrote:If this statue as a monument to more than a decade of illegal, offside play goes up, I'll be flying down there to tear it to the ground myself!
Spoiler: show
If you were a typical saffer rugby player you’d spent 80 minutes trying to gouge the eyes out of it.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

Mullet 2 wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:Most of Dublin's place names still have the name of the English Landlords that built them.

We still have many statues to our Anglo Irish past and you'd be hard pressed to find older Dubs who don't miss Nelson's Pillar.

If these statues were to need to be moved to a park to put in one of De Valera or Dan Breen then I'm OK with that, not with pulling them down and throwing them in a river.
And when Colston is recovered from the harbour and in a museum I think that's a good result.

I don't believe rewarding vandalism and thuggery should ever be considered. If these people wanted it gone they should file a motion and get it passed, if they won't pass it they should elect councillors who will. If they can't get enough councillors than it isn't as popular as they think.

It should be re-erected for that reason alone.
Well said, Skinnybalinks. :thumbup:
I like haggis

Post by I like haggis »

Mullet 2 wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:Most of Dublin's place names still have the name of the English Landlords that built them.

We still have many statues to our Anglo Irish past and you'd be hard pressed to find older Dubs who don't miss Nelson's Pillar.

If these statues were to need to be moved to a park to put in one of De Valera or Dan Breen then I'm OK with that, not with pulling them down and throwing them in a river.
And when Colston is recovered from the harbour and in a museum I think that's a good result.

I don't believe rewarding vandalism and thuggery should ever be considered. If these people wanted it gone they should file a motion and get it passed, if they won't pass it they should elect councillors who will. If they can't get enough councillors than it isn't as popular as they think.

Rewarding slave traders should be considered though? Okay.

For me transporting hundreds of thousands of slaves (and some wine and cloth) is worse than vandalism. I may be in the minority here. But each to their own.
New guy

Post by New guy »

Nobody is saying vandalism is worse than slavery :lol:.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

I like haggis wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
I like haggis wrote:

For me transporting hundreds of thousands of slaves (and some wine and cloth) is worse than vandalism. I may be in the minority here. But each to their own.
:roll:
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

And when he comes forward to claim his reward we can question him about the slavery.?
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Spontaneous mob vandalism during a pandemic is ok when I agree with it. Alright.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Floppykid wrote:Spontaneous mob vandalism during a pandemic is ok when I agree with it. Alright.

The EDF can rip down statues to Mandela and we can all call for them to be left covered in spray paint as a piece showing contemporary history.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

I like haggis wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
I like haggis wrote:

Should we remove all traces of Vikings and Romans in our country? How far back are we allowed to go?
AnkleTap

Post by AnkleTap »

Islam is right about statues!
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Churchcill - Bit of a racist, Bengal Famine, Black and Tans. Gone
Cromwell - Genocidal maniac, dictator and sectarian freak. Gone
Bomber Harris - Targetted Civilians. Gone
Disraeli - Instigated wars of colonial expansion. Gone
Union Jack. Flew over registered slave vessels. Gone

Or we could accept that it is up to society to teach people the light and the dark and decide that maybe from now on it should only be artists and poets on statues,
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Mullet 2 wrote:I'd be far happier to see a monument to the African slave trade go up beside his statue frankly.

Tbf couldn't give a toss what you're happy about.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

I’ve always preferred the option of putting a complete description of the individual’s business and personal practices next to the statue so everyone seeing it has a full understanding. The statue remains in place until family members (or anyone with that name) asks for it to be removed because they are sick of being asked if they are related to “that plum”.

Tearing things down allows some of these characters to avoid the full measure of notoriety they deserve.

It would be interesting to be able to travel around the South and see some of the Confederate monuments with a comprehensive catalogue of the atrocities these individuals committed and a description of the conscious efforts then made in the 20th century to construct the Lost Cause mythology.
Dobbin

Post by Dobbin »

fatcat wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
I like haggis wrote:

Should we remove all traces of Vikings and Romans in our country? How far back are we allowed to go?
If this would remove a substantial part of Yorkshire, then I'm all for it.
Rinkals

Post by Rinkals »

fatcat wrote:
Openside wrote:
fatcat wrote:
Varsity Way wrote:
Oh Jeez!
:lol: :lol: :lol: A farkin angel?? Do me a favour!!
It's insane isn't it!
Only because you don't have the empathy to understand what it means.

I don't think it's intended to show that Floyd was "an Angel", merely to suggest that he is in Heaven looking down on what is going on beneath him.

Americans seem to have lost the concept that Heaven is for essentially good people and Hell is for nasties: they tend to feel that anyone who has died is "looking down on them" from above.

Not, I hasten to add, that I believe in either Heaven or hell, or even an afterlife.
Dobbin

Post by Dobbin »

Mullet 2 wrote:Churchcill - Bit of a racist, Bengal Famine, Black and Tans. Gone
Cromwell - Genocidal maniac, dictator and sectarian freak. Gone
Bomber Harris - Targetted Civilians. Gone
Disraeli - Instigated wars of colonial expansion. Gone
Union Jack. Flew over registered slave vessels. Gone

Or we could accept that it is up to society to teach people the light and the dark and decide that maybe from now on it should only be artists and poets on statues,
Probably not Ezra Pound or TS Eliot though.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

Rinkals wrote:
fatcat wrote:
Openside wrote:
fatcat wrote:
Varsity Way wrote:
Oh Jeez!
:lol: :lol: :lol: A farkin angel?? Do me a favour!!
It's insane isn't it!
Only because you don't have the empathy to understand what it means.

I don't think it's intended to show that Floyd was "an Angel", merely to suggest that he is in Heaven looking down on what is going on beneath him.

Americans seem to have lost the concept that Heaven is for essentially good people and Hell is for nasties: they tend to feel that anyone who has died is "looking down on them" from above.

Not, I hasten to add, that I believe in either Heaven or hell, or even an afterlife.
So how do you know what it means?
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Anonymous. wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:I'd be far happier to see a monument to the African slave trade go up beside his statue frankly.

Tbf couldn't give a toss what you're happy about.

Is this one of the threads were you go all self righteous and pretend you're not a troll because the statue actually hurts your feelings for a change?

Go back to spouting off about the swarm and Micks you hypocrite :lol: