All things Rugby
hermes-trismegistus

Re: ‘Rhodes Must Fall’ rage now in UK

Post by hermes-trismegistus »

shereblue wrote:
hermes-trismegistus wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Diego wrote:I do quite like the idea of a garden/museum for 'outdated' statues and memorials. You could put up plaques saying where they used to stand and the reasons for their erection and removal.

The whole concept of just erasing any distasteful history is something I find very unappealing.
Thought that is what happened in Prague? All those huge statues of Lenin and Stalin were taken to a park a few miles outside the city which has since become a tourist attraction in its own right.
That would be really interesting.

I mean even a garden of old Nazi statues to remember that period would be interesting. Just need to make sure it wouldn't become some sort of shrine for neo-nazis etc.
Leaving aside its connotations, the problem with most fascist statuary is it's generally a bit crap. Artistically speaking, that is. Oversized, blockish, flat and too many straight lines. It's just not very good. Zero charm. Even less finesse.

Colston's statue, on the other hand, was beautifully done. No one in all of the brouhaha has mentioned the artist, John Cassidy. I've always loved his work. Quite the story. Irishman who started out working in a bar, before making his way to Manchester to train. Very quickly became apparent that he was extraordinarily gifted. For me, he's the most impressive sculptor Ireland's ever produced. But he never made it as big as he should. Spent most of his life broke and struggling on the fringes, going from boarding house to boarding house, renting a bed from the income he had as a teacher. But whenever he got a commission and the chance to shine, he nailed it. With Colston he pulled off something really magnificent and technically very difficult. It a cast bronze statue, which means it's dark and reflective. Very difficult to make out the features properly unless they're slightly exaggerated. Most Victorian artists - and almost all alive today - struggle to get right the balance between exaggeration and plausibility. Not Cassidy though. Nailed it. And there's a lovely flow and rhythm to the form too.

I despaired when the protestors covered it in spray paint. They may have thought what they did was an appropriate response to Colston. But it was an insult to Cassidy too, who's about as blameless as was possible for someone born in that era.
Cassidy is an interesting perspective. But his Colston was perhaps a little short of Michelangelo's David.

Only the Brits could simultaneously boast that THEY abolished slavery for the world and then memorialise this Colston geezer some 60 years after the abolition.

But fair enough, you've made a case for some public money to be expended on fishing the statue out of the Avon.
It doesn't have the same transcendent power, no. Nowhere near. But in terms of technical skill and ability, he's not far off. And his judgement is outstanding. It's a seriously good piece of art by a very fine - albeit neglected - artist. Was a real pity to see his work trashed and sprayed like that.
backrow

Post by backrow »

shereblue wrote:
backrow wrote:Tory fanbois have gone mad, woke, and softcock to be so upset over some statues...……………..
Fixed for you.
Don’t be a dick - I’m not sad over some statue been zapped (the cenotaph did annoy me though) - I’m just sad over how many bleeding heart protesting (during a lockdown) twats there in the Uk are over a USA event.
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

Anonymous. wrote:
Leffe wrote: Chruchill is a classic example of someone where no balanced discussion can take place. He is simply a hero in the eyes of most and they will simply not listen to the balanced historical view of him. It's seen as an attack, when it is a desire for historical balance and truth.
I see it more as Churchill was a racist cunt and also a wartime hero leader who stepped up to the plate. The salvation he helped deliver the British people more than outweighs any and all of his demerits as far as the British people as a whole are concerned. Easy
:thumbup: :thumbup:
Druid

Post by Druid »

The Uk has gone a bit crazy.
Will we be expecting Downing street to be renamed because Sir George Downing was a bit naughty in his day?
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

Druid wrote:The Uk has gone a bit crazy.
Will we be expecting Downing street to be renamed because Sir George Downing was a bit naughty in his day?
The door of number 10 could do with changing colour too.

There left is truly eating itself.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

The renaming ceremony is on Sunday
croyals

Post by croyals »

danny_fitz wrote:

This is the thing - if polls can be believed this stuff is supported by c 10-20% of the country and for now they make all the running. How long will everyone else put up with it for?
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

croyals wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:

This is the thing - if polls can be believed this stuff is supported by c 10-20% of the country and for now they make all the running. How long will everyone else put up with it for?
The actual amount of people who want statues down is anywhere between 4-6%.

Extends to 10-12% if they get put in a museum. (Basically have a vote at least)

Unfortunately Konstantin Kisin is right, the road from here is bad.
msp.

Post by msp. »

croyals wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:

The thing is most people do not care, but do not like be lectured too. It also noticable that whilst the statue was offensive to decedents of slave. The film I saw it was white people pulling it down, people spot left wing activists a mile away...
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

msp. wrote:
croyals wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:

The thing is most people do not care, but do not like be lectured too. It also noticable that whilst the statue was offensive to decedents of slave. The film I saw it was white people pulling it down, people spot left wing activists a mile away...

The push back is starting

https://news.sky.com/story/robert-baden ... r-12004683

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... e-petition
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Leffe wrote:
msp. wrote:[Everyone one who is demanding a balanced view of history view is Edward Colston = Evil Slave Trader..
The issue with "balance" is there to date has not been one. And if there is a refusal to have balance, the unbalanced side will at some stage demand via any means restitution. This inherently causes another mis-balance.

I'm not a historian, but the statue of Colson is not the issue, it is a symptom and one that a balanced society would agree: it's just a statue, we have a bigger issue within our society.
Very clear you're not the first cousin of a historian
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Anonymous. wrote:
Leffe wrote: Chruchill is a classic example of someone where no balanced discussion can take place. He is simply a hero in the eyes of most and they will simply not listen to the balanced historical view of him. It's seen as an attack, when it is a desire for historical balance and truth.
I see it more as Churchill was a racist cunt and also a wartime hero leader who stepped up to the plate. The salvation he helped deliver the British people more than outweighs any and all of his demerits as far as the British people as a whole are concerned. Easy

In other words you only have a problem with lads who were pricks to your race.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Leffe wrote:
mdaclarke wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... churchills

this puts the police in a difficult position, they will be outrage amongst normal people if the police remove the Statue protectors and allow the SJWs to deface Winston Churchill's statue

I also think the article paints the BLM movement as the aggressors/more violent ones.

"Tim Newburn, professor of criminology at the London School of Economics, said: “That could become extremely problematic, because what happens is that the police start to look like they are protecting the smaller of the two groups, which is likely to be the far right.”

As I said before the Far Right and Far Left are 2 sides of the same coin. In fact I would say that the far left SJW mob are worse (more violent)
Chruchill is a classic example of someone where no balanced discussion can take place. He is simply a hero in the eyes of most and they will simply not listen to the balanced historical view of him. It's seen as an attack, when it is a desire for historical balance and truth.
This is false though, most Brits see him as a wartime hero and understand he was a shite peacetime PM and many know he screwed up in WWI. Sure a few loudmouths like Nigel Farage will drone on, but the idea most people think Churchill is perfect seems to be only believed by non-brits or those in media bubbles.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Hamilton must fall...

And just has. Name change coming?
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

Why did Bristol have a statue of a slave trader anyway? Fucken weird man. He deserved the river, as do any confederate statues.

In saying that, if they are going full statue pulling they need to be consistent. Start with that sexual deviant and hardcore racist Ghandi for one.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

msp. wrote:
croyals wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:

Why aren't white people allowed to have an opinion/take action on something that promotes slave traders where they live (but presumably a black person can)? This is one of the stupidest things about the current culture wars, how if you're not the specific group that was targeted you can't have an opinion on something.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Mr Mike wrote:Hamilton must fall...

Wouldn't worry me. John Hamilton had nothing to do with the founding of Hamilton - just happened to die at the battle of Gate Pa.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Enzedder wrote:

Wouldn't worry me. John Hamilton had nothing to do with the founding of Hamilton - just happened to die at the battle of Gate Pa.
Kirikiriroa?
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Mr Mike wrote:
Enzedder wrote:

Kirikiriroa?
Maybe we should keep it at Hamilton, I don't know if my ears can handle hearing Kerry-Kerry-Rower all the time. :lol:
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Mr Mike wrote:
Enzedder wrote:

Kirikiriroa?
Here KiddyKiddyRower

Why not The Tron?
Sensible Stephen

Post by Sensible Stephen »

Enzedder wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
Enzedder wrote:

Kirikiriroa?
Here KiddyKiddyRower

Why not The Tron?
Because the movie Tron is problematic. Not diverse enough.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Enzedder wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
Enzedder wrote:

Kirikiriroa?
Here KiddyKiddyRower

Why not The Tron?
F**k, I couldn't even get my Pakeha pronunciation correct!
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

True Blue wrote:Why did Bristol have a statue of a slave trader anyway? Fucken weird man. He deserved the river, as do any confederate statues.

In saying that, if they are going full statue pulling they need to be consistent. Start with that sexual deviant and hardcore racist Ghandi for one.
Because he funded a ton of stuff in Bristol. While his actions were contemptible by modern standards, it's not really comparable to confederate statues who are monuments to people who rebelled against their country and failed. Nearly every statue in Europe is to someone who held some odious view. If not for slavery, certainly for antisemitism. Decent mostly tongue in cheek list here: https://twitter.com/EylonALevy/status/1 ... 6565280768

After Gandhi, we can also move on to the Dome of the Rock, a colonialist monument to a slaver and pedophile built on top of the holiest site of the indigenous people of the area.

Or we can say historical figures, and people generally, are complicated and take their best aspects while striving to do better than their worst aspects going forward. And if we want to take down statues or monuments, that's fine but it should be done democratically rather than by a mob.
Leffe

Post by Leffe »

Anonymous. wrote:
Even the shooting in the back of a local?

You're entitled to your opinion and I'm not challenging it. I'm saying there is no balance in debate about Churchill nor many other colonial era types, and this is the problem.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Mullet 2 wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:

In other words you only have a problem with lads who were pricks to your race.
I am not at all surprised you came to that conclusion. From what i wrote that says a lot more about you than it does about me.
Leffe

Post by Leffe »

eldanielfire wrote:
Leffe wrote:

this puts the police in a difficult position, they will be outrage amongst normal people if the police remove the Statue protectors and allow the SJWs to deface Winston Churchill's statue

I also think the article paints the BLM movement as the aggressors/more violent ones.

"Tim Newburn, professor of criminology at the London School of Economics, said: “That could become extremely problematic, because what happens is that the police start to look like they are protecting the smaller of the two groups, which is likely to be the far right.”

As I said before the Far Right and Far Left are 2 sides of the same coin. In fact I would say that the far left SJW mob are worse (more violent)
Chruchill is a classic example of someone where no balanced discussion can take place. He is simply a hero in the eyes of most and they will simply not listen to the balanced historical view of him. It's seen as an attack, when it is a desire for historical balance and truth.
This is false though, most Brits see him as a wartime hero and understand he was a shite peacetime PM and many know he screwed up in WWI. Sure a few loudmouths like Nigel Farage will drone on, but the idea most people think Churchill is perfect seems to be only believed by non-brits or those in media bubbles.
No its not, fudge off.

Churchill is idolised by much of the population and they won't hear anything about his colonial jaunts.
Caley_Red

Post by Caley_Red »

Leffe wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Leffe wrote:

No its not, fudge off.

Churchill is idolised by much of the population and they won't hear anything about his colonial jaunts.
Can you not keep your swivel-eyed views on the Brexit thread with the rest of your crew?
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

Enzedder wrote:

Grey must fall.

You kiwi colonists will all be packing your bags in a few years time.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Leffe wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
Even the shooting in the back of a local?

You're entitled to your opinion and I'm not challenging it. I'm saying there is no balance in debate about Churchill nor many other colonial era types, and this is the problem.
It's not a problem at all as far as I'm concerned. If your expecting balanced debate about an in living memory figure like Churchill you're dreaming and trying to hold the British public to a much higher standard than you should expect of anybody.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Leffe wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Leffe wrote:

No its not, fudge off.

I would say the vast majority of people who "idolise" Churchill know he smoked cigars and was the wartime PM who said something about fighting them on the beaches. And he got the chicken dinner
crapbackrow

Post by crapbackrow »

One wonders what difference any of this will make to the life outcomes of black britains. The same goes for the protests stateside...
assfly

Post by assfly »

crapbackrow wrote:One wonders what difference any of this will make to the life outcomes of black britains. The same goes for the protests stateside...
I agree.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

I think the BLM has made a big mistake with the Fawlty Towers and Baden-Powell, Churchill debacle.

Generally you have 3 groups in society. Those who are racist & you won’t change them. Those who are actively working against racism & then the largest group who sit in the middle and this lot are pissed.

It seems to the the SJW hangers on who are causing the problem. People like Madeline Odent.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... icals.html

The SJW forget that over 80% of the population live outside London and over 80% of the population is White British. Banning Fawlty Towers and the Inbetweeners, threatening to damage Baden-Powell and Churchill' statue and attack police is only going to push this 80% of the population further away from them.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

message #2527204 wrote:
Enzedder wrote:

Grey must fall.

But for where? There’s a half-decent argument for seeing Grey as a proto-Strayan.

Not that I’d mind seeing more Kiwis moving to Straya as such, but with a few provisos.

1. Not just pakehas, OK. We don’t have a shortage of euro-descended folk.

2. Not too many of any stripe. Someone need to stay in Aotearoa to brew decent beer, run the farms, keep the traffic lights working etc so Strayan bludgers like myself can have a nice hol across the ditch.
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

MungoMan wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:
Enzedder wrote:

Grey must fall.

But for where? There’s a half-decent argument for seeing Grey as a proto-Strayan.

Not that I’d mind seeing more Kiwis moving to Straya as such, but with a few provisos.

1. Not just pakehas, OK. We don’t have a shortage of euro-descended folk.

2. Not too many of any stripe. Someone need to stay in Aotearoa to brew decent beer, run the farms, keep the traffic lights working etc so Strayan bludgers like myself can have a nice hol across the ditch.
You Ozzie colonists and convicts too. Then the yank colonists ... all the Americas actually. Caribbean.
Then we start on the Polynesian colonies.
Eventually we all go back to Africa and leave the world to the Neanderthals.
I like haggis

Post by I like haggis »

mdaclarke wrote:
msp. wrote:
croyals wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:

The push back is starting

https://news.sky.com/story/robert-baden ... r-12004683

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... e-petition
Baden-Poole loved staring at pictures of naked boys in his spare time. Not sure they're defending the man they think they are
Inch high hogs eye

Post by Inch high hogs eye »

Wilfully discriminated against people with short, fat, hairy legs...
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

Neanderthals were not ancestors of Homo sapiens.
I like haggis

Post by I like haggis »

True Blue wrote:Why did Bristol have a statue of a slave trader anyway? Fucken weird man. He deserved the river, as do any confederate statues.

It was built to remind people of the glory of the empire at a time Germany and the US were acquiring there's.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Baden-Poole loved staring at pictures of naked boys in his spare time. Not sure they're defending the man they think they are

Wow, did they know this before putting the statue up and drumming him out of the scouts.